PDA

View Full Version : Is it true that AC2 had more Modern Day?

joshoolhorst
02-06-2016, 07:13 PM
I saw in a discussion here long ago that Modern Day was bigger in 2

JamesFaith007
02-06-2016, 10:56 PM
Bigger then what? AC1? Syndicate? Blag flag?

You have to be little more specific in series with 7 main titles.

LoyalACFan
02-06-2016, 11:19 PM
It was actually the smallest in the series aside from Unity and Syndicate, where it's nonexistent.

For context, if you haven't played ANY of the earlier games, the modern day portion used to be playable; you controlled a guy named Desmond who was training to be an Assassin by reliving his ancestors' memories. But in AC2, you only play as Desmond for a grand total of maybe 30 minutes spread across the whole 20-hour game.

Farlander1991
02-06-2016, 11:39 PM
It was actually the smallest in the series aside from Unity and Syndicate, where it's nonexistent.

For context, if you haven't played ANY of the earlier games, the modern day portion used to be playable; you controlled a guy named Desmond who was training to be an Assassin by reliving his ancestors' memories. But in AC2, you only play as Desmond for a grand total of maybe 30 minutes spread across the whole 20-hour game.

Which is why it surprises me how so many people who say Modern Day is the star of AC and not the historical part have their favourite AC game be AC2 where the devs tried to get away from the Modern Day as far away as possible and focus mostly on history, with Modern Day mostly being taken over by side-lore (and even that was through the Animus). If you think about it, the situation now isn't much different than it was in AC2 in terms of focus.

LoyalACFan
02-06-2016, 11:57 PM
Which is why it surprises me how so many people who say Modern Day is the star of AC and not the historical part have their favourite AC game be AC2 where the devs tried to get away from the Modern Day as far away as possible and focus mostly on history, with Modern Day mostly being taken over by side-lore (and even that was through the Animus). If you think about it, the situation now isn't much different than it was in AC2 in terms of focus.

Yeah, well, hindsight is 20/20. In retrospect, AC2 did sort of brush aside a lot of the teases and lore implications from AC1, but back then the series was small enough that we all took it for a "slow-burn" approach rather than a complete dismissal. It felt like everything was going to build up into one gigantic revelation in the end; everything from the main lore to the tiniest of missable details. We should have seen the writing on the wall (seewhatIdidthere?).

But yeah, AC2 is definitely remembered through rose-colored glasses for a lot of people. I still love it, but with a messy lore, a blatant cliffhanger, and two important sequences that were literally cut out of the game and sold back to us as DLC, AC2 gets away with a hell of a lot of stuff that would never fly today.

SixKeys
02-07-2016, 12:33 AM
Yeah, well, hindsight is 20/20. In retrospect, AC2 did sort of brush aside a lot of the teases and lore implications from AC1, but back then the series was small enough that we all took it for a "slow-burn" approach rather than a complete dismissal. It felt like everything was going to build up into one gigantic revelation in the end; everything from the main lore to the tiniest of missable details.

^ This. At the time I assumed AC2 had so little MD content because the next game would be AC3 (lol) and that was going to focus almost entirely on Desmond.

LoyalACFan
02-07-2016, 03:32 AM
^ This. At the time I assumed AC2 had so little MD content because the next game would be AC3 (lol) and that was going to focus almost entirely on Desmond.

See, I never expected a full Desmond game... I always thought "3" was going to be the French Revolution because of the Phrygian cap/Masonic eye clue. Silly me. Lol, I still distinctly remember when AC3 was announced and how thrown off I was.

Mr.Black24
02-07-2016, 04:49 AM
See, I never expected a full Desmond game... I always thought "3" was going to be the French Revolution because of the Phrygian cap/Masonic eye clue. Silly me. Lol, I still distinctly remember when AC3 was announced and how thrown off I was.
To be fair, the Masonic Eye was a clue to the American Revolution, as the devs revealed it in one of their QAs. Technically, it was a hint at both Revolutions.

If anything, it surprises me people got Japan or Egypt as a theory. But that's what everyone asks for after each game so....

LoyalACFan
02-07-2016, 05:37 AM
To be fair, the Masonic Eye was a clue to the American Revolution, as the devs revealed it in one of their QAs. Technically, it was a hint at both Revolutions.

If anything, it surprises me people got Japan or Egypt as a theory. But that's what everyone asks for after each game so....

The devs have repeatedly said things like that about hints/lore to cover their own collective asses because the overarching lore is such a hot mess. Like Jeffrey Yohalem saying "oh yeah, 16's dialogue in Brotherhood was just meant as the ramblings of a madman. People just took it too far." So... the final message Clay left for Desmond, the one that you had to solve all the glyph puzzles to find, was just some arbitrary crap you made up on the spot? Either Yohalem is a hack, or that's bulls#@t. And don't even get me started on The Lost Archive.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but the Masonic Eye/Phrygian Cap clue was definitely a direct line to the French Revolution. Shaun's talking about it directly before the scene cuts into Desmond being possessed. In fact, his last spoken line is "those two symbols come together in only one place-" and then gets cut off. That "one place," as I and many other fans found out after a few minutes on Wikipedia, is the Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen, which was the principal document of the French Revolution. Now, that could have just been a red herring, of course, but it sure as hell wasn't a pointer to the American Revolution in any way, shape, or form. But don't take my word for it; even Patrice has said that revolutionary France is where he would have liked to take AC3.

Ever since AC1, though, people have been theorizing where it could go next based on the glyphs on 16's walls. That's where a lot of the hype for Japan and Egypt come from, because if memory serves me, there was some reference to the pyramids and a Japanese emperor, can't remember which one. Personally, I never took those for serious hints about future locations, because there were just so freaking many of them pointing in all different directions.

SixKeys
02-07-2016, 07:39 AM
Ever since AC1, though, people have been theorizing where it could go next based on the glyphs on 16's walls. That's where a lot of the hype for Japan and Egypt come from, because if memory serves me, there was some reference to the pyramids and a Japanese emperor, can't remember which one. Personally, I never took those for serious hints about future locations, because there were just so freaking many of them pointing in all different directions.

Good thing you didn't, considering that when Nolan North asked him at the end of AC1 "so what happens next?", Corey May told him he had no idea. The glyphs were just vague teases and there seemed not to be an solid plan for the entire series at that point.

VestigialLlama4
02-07-2016, 08:41 AM
The truth is we don't know for certain because we don't have access to production documents.

But Darby McDevitt mentioned in a post-Black Flag Q&A that initially MD in AC2 was planned to be equal to the historical content but they backed away when they realized it was way too ambitious.

Jessigirl2013
02-07-2016, 10:58 AM
I saw in a discussion here long ago that Modern Day was bigger in 2

Not really, Unlike later games in the series ACII didn't even let you leave the animus. :cool:
Although IMO the modern day interacted more with the game than in recent games like Syndicate. ie S and R talk more during the memories in older games, but in Syndicate there's only set points when they speak.

The game with the biggest and best modern day IMO was ACIII, It had actually mini "missions" which were based in the MD (I wont spoil as its clear you haven't played older titles)

Why not have a go at the past games?.:rolleyes:

joshoolhorst
02-08-2016, 02:24 PM
Not really, Unlike later games in the series ACII didn't even let you leave the animus. :cool:
Although IMO the modern day interacted more with the game than in recent games like Syndicate. ie S and R talk more during the memories in older games, but in Syndicate there's only set points when they speak.

The game with the biggest and best modern day IMO was ACIII, It had actually mini "missions" which were based in the MD (I wont spoil as its clear you haven't played older titles)

Why not have a go at the past games?.:rolleyes:

I will buy Assassin's Creed 1 untill 3 again... I just forget what happened but I can still remember those days, the mystery, the magic, history, characters and the hype around Assassin's Creed. People talked about it always.
Ezio: And now it lingers in my mind like a image from a old dream

The only things that keeps me from buying the original trilogy the Desmond Saga that's how I call it. The Assassin's Creed Collection I heard about from Ubisoft is making a new collection so I wait... The second thing is everything after 3 doesn't feel like Assassin's Creed so I wanted to stop and not get back into it again

And because I realy love MD :)