PDA

View Full Version : How to fix the Assassin's Creed Series

SKYrunner2698
02-04-2016, 01:59 PM
So hey guys. Im new to the forums but im a huge fan of the AC series and I'd really like your guys opinions on how youd like to fix AC as well as your opinions on my ideas. I have thought on this a lot so if you could please give this video with my ideas in it a view that would be awesome
https://youtu.be/k4fapEy7UEk

VestigialLlama4
02-04-2016, 02:22 PM
There is only one true way to improve AC...don't post videos, don't see videos and don't do Ubisoft's job for themselves.

SKYrunner2698
02-04-2016, 07:54 PM
My opinion is that you have to make games for your fans and since the franchise has proved to be dropping in sales. They have to change it and make it feel more "next-gen". I dont like that term but its the easiet way i can describe it

VestigialLlama4
02-04-2016, 08:20 PM
My opinion is that you have to make games for your fans

Which fans?

Assassin's Creed is a game that combines multiple genres and different people play the game for different reasons. Some are there for the Lore, others for the settings, some like the gameplay of Parkour/Climbing/Social Stealth/Assassination, some like the historical immersion, others like the Modern Day game.

Most of the online fans make recommendations about the First Civ or the MD as if that was the main thing.

The thing is most people (i.e. not the ones who post online, they are only the most vocal part of the perople who buy the games) who play AC see it primarily as a history game, the lore/the Md/The First Civ that's all just McGuffin for the plot. It's there to justify changing the setting but fundamentally the games are not really about that.

So why on earth should Ubisoft listen to a bunch of self-appointed fans instead of the wider audience that made the games so great.

They have to change it and make it feel more "next-gen". I dont like that term but its the easiet way i can describe it

The thing is "Next-Gen" is still catching up to all the stuff people did at the end of Last-Gen.The change in hardware especially for PS4 is a lot harder to code for developers. Indeed for Arkham Knight, they found it so hard that they didn't have time to concentrate or oversee the PC version which was the reason for the failure of the PC port.

So while Next-Gen is bursting with potential, it will take a while before Ubisoft will feel comfortable reviving say the Weather System of AC3 and extending it into the ambitious logical conclusion.

There aren't rules yet. It's still up in the air.

crusader_prophet
02-04-2016, 08:25 PM
The thing is most people (i.e. not the ones who post online, they are only the most vocal part of the perople who buy the games) who play AC see it primarily as a history game,

You know that how?

the lore/the Md/The First Civ that's all just McGuffin for the plot. It's there to justify changing the setting but fundamentally the games are not really about that.

That is your sentiment. Not everyone's. I play for both (and more).

VestigialLlama4
02-04-2016, 08:35 PM
You know that how?

Basic logic. If the MD was more popular than the historical section it would be heavily featured in the advertising (there has never been any major trailer advertising the MD). Words like Juno, First Civ, etcetera have never featured in any of the big trailers and promotion.

So people buy the game for the setting and background. The MD is an add-on, an extra. It's a crucial part of the series identity but taken separately it would not be much. A MD AC would be no different from Deus-Ex.

People bought AC3 for the American Revolution (it had the most extensive marketing) and that is still the best selling game of the franchise, Black Flag was bought for the Pirate setting and the ship gameplay, Syndicate was bought because of the Victorian London setting and for Evie.

People care far more if the historical character is going to be non-Aryan, non-male and eventually non-straight than they would about the Lore tying together. They care more about the setting. Lore/MD/First-Civ, that's just there to provide dialogue for the boss-fight.

PedroAntonio2
02-04-2016, 08:49 PM
I bought AC3 because I wanted to see Desmond's story and I will keep buying any AC games they release with the hope of a good MD plot. They don't advertize because people like you will just whine in the comments '' huuur, MD is boring, uere is ezio, kill desmond. ''. Patrice Desilets, the creator of the franchise, said himself in a recent video that AC can't exist without the historical + modern day storyline.

The reason they are not doing any effort to produce a decent MD storyline since AC3 endign is because of the annual release, they don't have the time or the budget to do so, what could be easily fixed if they just forget this Time Rift they included in Unity and instead of wasting money, they could just spend it in doing some gameplay sections for the modern day era.

BananaBlighter
02-04-2016, 08:57 PM
I bought AC3 because I wanted to see Desmond's story and I will keep buying any AC games they release with the hope of a good MD plot. They don't advertize because people like you will just whine in the comments '' huuur, MD is boring, uere is ezio, kill desmond. ''. Patrice Desilets, the creator of the franchise, said himself in a recent video that AC can't exist without the historical + modern day storyline.

The reason they are not doing any effort to produce a decent MD storyline since AC3 endign is because of the annual release, they don't have the time or the budget to do so, what could be easily fixed if they just forget this Time Rift they included in Unity and instead of wasting money, they could just spend it in doing some gameplay sections for the modern day era.

Even if they don't have the time or budget to do modern day, there's a reason why they prioritize other things. In fact, it's funny you bring up the time anomalies, because that is exactly the kind of thing that Ubi understood was more important for most of their fans; historical tourism. Everyone I know who plays AC has no interest in the modern day. It's these people that are making Ubisoft the most money. The modern day storyline may be nice and all, giving an overarching plot with context, however it is not what makes AC unique in most people's eyes.

Xstantin
02-04-2016, 09:38 PM
^Time anomalies were awesome imo, though I admit I mostly care about visuals and tourism thingy in AC nowadays.