PDA

View Full Version : Is Syndicate more glitched than Unity?

Bipolar Matt
02-03-2016, 08:07 PM
I came late to the party on Unity. Didn't get to play it until Summer last year when I finally picked up a PS4. By that time, all the patches had been released and some technical problems remained. I still managed to fall through the map twice.

Syndicate, though, seems more technically flawed to me. The patch prior to the latest one destroyed framerate for me on carriages and on trains. Playing through it again, I just randomly dropped dead/de-synched for no reason at all. Had just killed two blighters, was not being attacked, didn't fall at all (that one ticked me off big time). NPCs have disappeared at times, including Henry Green. Animations are mis-aligned occasionally, with the victim being away from the kill animation in progress.

Is anyone else experiencing these issues? I know I saw the random drop dead glitch on YouTube. That one actually fascinates me most, why that happened. Would love to know.

Hope there's another patch coming soon to smooth things out even more. With the Last Maharajah coming up, I expect there will be a preparatory patch to support it. Hopefully that includes some bug fixes for the above too.

BananaBlighter
02-03-2016, 09:00 PM
Well, I haven't experienced any issues with disappearing characters or randomly desynchronizing in Syndicate, though the carriage issue is certainly something that needs to be fixed. Though about animations mis-aligning, that was a lot worse in Unity. I wouldn't really consider it much of a bug; it's hard to get it perfect when the terrain can vary.

Unity though was certainly more unpolished. Unless you fight with a one-handed weapon, there is always almost 1s latency between parrying and the enemy stumbling backwards. The sound in combat is also often out of sync. All of the vaulting animations were choppy, and the parkour felt a lot more slow and inaccurate (though I do prefer Unity's parkour system in terms of the controls). Detection was pretty broken too, often making stealth a pain.

Pretty much all of this has been improved in Syndicate though. However, while much of what Syndicate added did feel very refined (the boats and the carriages) there is still much to polish. For example, the rope launcher icon isn't as quick to appear as I'd like it to be, and the trains can be very glitchy with me falling between carriages on multiple occasions. So I'd say Syndicate improved on Unity's flaws but created a few of it's own. However generally it feels more refined to play, and I take that in to account more than the odd game-breaking bug.

EDIT: Oh yeah I forgot to say that I too got Unity after all major patches

SpiritOfNevaeh
02-03-2016, 11:38 PM
For me, I only occurred three glitches in Syndicate and several in Unity, and that was after the patches were installed for both.

So if they did use the same engine, it's a major improvement from Unity.

Jackdaw951
02-05-2016, 04:31 PM
In my experience, yes, Syndicate has more game-affecting problems than Unity did after 5 or so patches. Twice I ended up stuck in a wall during a mission. The game has crashed hard on me twice, the last time in the middle of the final run toward the final boss. There seems to be no safe way to jump off the locomotive. After getting run over and desynched once, I tried hopping off several more times. After a few tries, it happened again. The problem seems to be that the game won't let you keep running forward, and even if you stop pressing forward after jumping, Jacob is determined to go through his stumbling-and-stopping animation a hair's breadth away from the tons of moving steel. There is no way to jump out and away, only down. It sucks.

Then there was the story mission where I had to steal something small covertly from a lady; and after doing that, the game took all control away from me as the guards discovered me and pounded me into a desync. Unintended leaps of faith into the Thames, and landing head-first into a wooden object (desync). Walking or climbing in a grossly wrong direction, totally spoiling stealth. Dropping off a zipline to a desync far below, when my feet touched something along the way. (I should have lifted them, or clambered off unto the obstacle safely.) Train icon disappearing completely from the map. Being asked to find certain policeman after being discovered, and having killed all policemen present. (Manual exit to menu screen and relaunch, to cure that one.) I could go on, but I have other things to do. By contrast, Unity's game-affecting issues were very few, and the worst of them pre-patches.

Sorrosyss
02-05-2016, 06:12 PM
This is going to be one of those personal experience comparison moments. Everyone will differ. I played both at launch, and honestly had far more issues with Syndicate. Most of Unity's issues were sorted in a month, whereas Syndicate is still a bit of a mess nearly four months in (the carriage fps issue is still there, but was introduced by a patch ironically).

Jessigirl2013
02-05-2016, 07:08 PM
Two words...

NO WAY!

Don't get me wrong, I had a few bizarre moments.
One of them being Evie being catapulted in the air when she fell from a zipline during going down big ben.
But to be fair, it was hilarious (wish I was capturing:rolleyes:)

The only frustrating part was on a ****ens mission where you need to go to a shop to find a thief, I went there. And nothing.
There were two people who were outside which were gold in eagle vision, but nothing happened.
I assumed it was a result of the game not triggering an event.
I restart the mission and lone behold, when I arrive at the location an event triggers of The thief fighting with a man

I wouldn't know about fps issues as I don't really notice them, I didn't used to have decent hardware ( I played Unity with 9-19 FPS) so playing Syndicate at anything more than 30fps was great :rolleyes:

The only noticeable time the fps s*** itself was on the first Evie mission when the lightning first flashed, It was awful but it only lasted a sec.:rolleyes:
The other time was during the mission showing in the Evie gameplay trailer, you know the tower of London one, I played the mission exactly as the demoer did. And had the same stutter when jumping down the ledge into the restricted area. But other than that it was fine.:rolleyes:

Sure it has bugs, all games do. But nothing on the scale as Unity :rolleyes:

UBI did a good, Finally.:rolleyes:

cawatrooper9
02-05-2016, 07:57 PM
I've been lucky enough to not really have any significant technical problems with either game- however, given the general consensus of both games, I think the sensational idea that Syndicate would tend to be more glitchy than Unity is just kind of silly.

MikeFNY
02-06-2016, 09:42 AM
I've been lucky enough to not really have any significant technical problems with either game- however, given the general consensus of both games, I think the sensational idea that Syndicate would tend to be more glitchy than Unity is just kind of silly.

Same, although remember that the carriage bug introduced with the JTR DLC can be pretty annoying. I mean I could live with bugs in Unity such as freezing guards, guards bumping in each other and people floating in the air but I'm not sure how I would have reacted had I suffered this annoying carriage problem from day 1 in Syndicate.

I'm actually baffled as to how this is yet to be fixed.

Jessigirl2013
02-06-2016, 01:36 PM
Same, although remember that the carriage bug introduced with the JTR DLC can be pretty annoying. I mean I could live with bugs in Unity such as freezing guards, guards bumping in each other and people floating in the air but I'm not sure how I would have reacted had I suffered this annoying carriage problem from day 1 in Syndicate.

I'm actually baffled as to how this is yet to be fixed.

What's the carriage problem?
I'm planning to get the DLC and don't want to get the glitch as a bonus :rolleyes:

The NPCs in Unity still annoy me like crazy, can they not do a patch to fix it?:mad:
Its a shame that the streets in Syndicate are as empty as anything but the train stations and the Thames is insanely busy, its just so jarring.:mad:

MikeFNY
02-06-2016, 02:38 PM
What's the carriage problem?

In theory there are many. I luckily never witnessed these embarrassing bugs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlW9W1p88bg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZp5yKiCl6c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCbsFiKiP8I

As for the one I'm talking about, I cannot find a video, it's when the game freezes for 1-2 seconds when riding a carriage.

Megas_Doux
02-06-2016, 03:26 PM
No way, at least for me.

Jackdaw951
02-07-2016, 04:09 PM
In theory there are many. I luckily never witnessed these embarrassing bugs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlW9W1p88bg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZp5yKiCl6c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCbsFiKiP8I

As for the one I'm talking about, I cannot find a video, it's when the game freezes for 1-2 seconds when riding a carriage.

The first one is hilarious. No, I never experienced these either. Ironically, carriage behavior has been generally fine for me. I don't experience extra frame-rate drops while riding carriages either (Xbox One, fully updated). It's other stuff that has been somewhat frustrating; but on the whole, my experience has been good. Two game crashes in 70 reported hours of play time is not bad these days. And other glitches are to be expected in complex, open-world games. It's just weird that Unity had less of those for me after the patches. (Pre-patch, it was a mess, with slideshow frame rates in some interiors, and several leaps off the map into the grey void. It took several updates to iron everything out. Hence, my sig.)