PDA

View Full Version : So why the Aveline DLC?

Mr.Black24
02-03-2016, 07:23 AM
So it occurred to me that the Aveline DLC is perhaps the most random one that we have gotten. Don't get me wrong, you all know that I am a big fan of Aveline, and I loved that we got more of her. But that being said, its the structure of how we gotten the games with the DLC that makes it stand out.

When we had each DLC for the games, it always corresponds to the main character of the main game itself. From Tyranny of King Washington, to Dead Kings, and now Jack The Ripper. Each of these content are either more closure or chapters to the character, as examples of "self contained "stories. But the Aveline DLC had nothing to do with Black Flag, nor Edward, or the story of BF itself. Its very odd, and I'm not trying to give the vib of it being an annoyance, but rather the lineup itself, it stood out more. Does anyone here know what was the decision for having her as part of the main game? I find this very curious here. Maybe I am overthinking it, but it seemed so random.

Was this talked before? I think I missed it if it was.

VestigialLlama4
02-03-2016, 07:35 AM
It was a PS3 exclusive...Sony asked Ubisoft to make exclusive DLC content.

Since Ubisoft is a multi-platform title and doesn't want to irritate its fans too much by making the PS3 exclusive DLCs very good (cf, Rocksteady making Playable Joker DLC for Arkham Asylum's PS3 which offended many of the Xbox and PC fans who wanted it for their consoles, and never got it) the PS3 exclusive DLCs have always been minor mission-packs that are thin on story. So Benedict Arnold DLC in AC3, before that Copernicus Conspiracy in BROTHERHOOD (which actually is decent and the best of the lot to be honest).

For Aveline it was same philosophy...give PlayStation folks something for themselves and since Aveline was a protagonist of the PS-Vita Exclusive Title, reuse her and use a throwaway mission that also address the existence of Connor, the ugly stepchild and banished Prince of the AC family. So it's basically a piece of shlock made with bad values though I think Aveline fans might like it.

In Syndicate you had the Timed DLC of the Dreadful Crimes Side Missions with Kid!ArthurConan Doyle...this is a timed DLC (partly because Sony commands a good market lead over Xbox that it isn't in a greedy mood) so it's made on a better budget and more skill.

LoyalACFan
02-03-2016, 07:43 AM
I don't actually know for certain, of course, but I have a few theories about what may have been contributing factors.

-The environment and characters may have been essentially cut content from AC:Liberation, so recycling it and changing a few lines of dialogue to make it take place after ACL was the most economical way to churn out a preorder bonus DLC without creating much new content, plus they get to market it as being a totally different playable character than the main entree of AC4 (even though she plays pretty much exactly the same as Edward).

-Freedom Cry was already planned, so Aveline and her antislavery campaign were the most thematically relevant subject matter to go along with Adewale's future DLC.

-Liberation HD was coming to consoles and PC a few months later, so they wanted to refresh everyone's memory about the character or perhaps entice console players into buying ACLHD to learn more about her if they missed their chance on the Vita.

-She's a black female hero, and even before the Unity co-op snafu, the community was expressing a fair amount of interest in expanding diversity in the series' lead characters.

ze_topazio
02-03-2016, 12:09 PM
To promote the, at the time, upcoming Liberation HD, I think.

cawatrooper9
02-03-2016, 03:20 PM
Wow, three different answers from VestigialLlama4, LoyalACFan, and ze_topazio. Honestly, I think each of you brings up a really good point, forming part of a larger truth.

If I might add something as well: this was back during the attempted interconnected "American Saga"- a beautiful time in AC history when AC stories had potential to interweave with each other, protagonists from various games had potential to meet up, and many of us were eagerly anticipating a game that would eventually tie it all together. As you know, what we got instead was Rogue, which basically just added more loose ends.

I think the Aveline DLC may have been a minor installment in that attempt to create a larger AC world in the American Saga, showcasing a former protagonist in a new environment (an environment that, coincidentally for reasons both storytelling-related and for convenience of assets, applied to that year's major game).

Mr.Black24
02-03-2016, 05:05 PM
Wow, three different answers from VestigialLlama4, LoyalACFan, and ze_topazio. Honestly, I think each of you brings up a really good point, forming part of a larger truth.

If I might add something as well: this was back during the attempted interconnected "American Saga"- a beautiful time in AC history when AC stories had potential to interweave with each other, protagonists from various games had potential to meet up, and many of us were eagerly anticipating a game that would eventually tie it all together. As you know, what we got instead was Rogue, which basically just added more loose ends.

I think the Aveline DLC may have been a minor installment in that attempt to create a larger AC world in the American Saga, showcasing a former protagonist in a new environment (an environment that, coincidentally for reasons both storytelling-related and for convenience of assets, applied to that year's major game).
Each answer said here and before are very good points, true.

Now my tinfoil hat comes up here, maybe that it was Ubisoft's small attempt at getting people's attention for not only Aveline, but also to get more attention for her and Connor's continuation. But since everyone took the idea that Connor won't come back to heart, the message never stuck and thus his story did not continue. "But Ubisoft said so, why couldn't they just bring them back, why they need us?" Well the higher ups are holding the creative crew back, sticking to safe stories like Syndicate and Unity. So they needed the strength of the fans to prove that we wanted more, so it was a small cry of help in a bottle, and perhaps we misinterpreted? Thats my little theory though.

cawatrooper9
02-03-2016, 05:13 PM
Each answer said here and before are very good points, true.

Now my tinfoil hat comes up here, maybe that it was Ubisoft's small attempt at getting people's attention for not only Aveline, but also to get more attention for her and Connor's continuation. But since everyone took the idea that Connor won't come back to heart, the message never stuck and thus his story did not continue. "But Ubisoft said so, why couldn't they just bring them back, why they need us?" Well the higher ups are holding the creative crew back, sticking to safe stories like Syndicate and Unity. So they needed the strength of the fans to prove that we wanted more, so it was a small cry of help in a bottle, and perhaps we misinterpreted? Thats my little theory though.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was going for, I totally agree.

Kind of reminds me of when, in Edward Norton's Hulk movie, Sterns' head kind of bulges, implying that The Leader would be featured in a new Hulk sequel- that never really ended up happening, obviously (though I think there was an MCU series of comics that touched on the issue).

So, basically a small move to open up a much bigger installment that never happened. Small risk, small sacrifice, I suppose.

Mr.Black24
02-03-2016, 05:28 PM
Yeah, that's kind of what I was going for, I totally agree.

Kind of reminds me of when, in Edward Norton's Hulk movie, Sterns' head kind of bulges, implying that The Leader would be featured in a new Hulk sequel- that never really ended up happening, obviously (though I think there was an MCU series of comics that touched on the issue).

So, basically a small move to open up a much bigger installment that never happened. Small risk, small sacrifice, I suppose.
True, and as for the Rogue comment: Now its just more reason to revisit that time period now that we have Shay as a possible antagonist for Connor, Aveline, and Arno to deal with. Their endings were so open ended that it bread crumb its paths to a possible 4 way crossover. They should go back to this.

cawatrooper9
02-03-2016, 05:36 PM
True, and as for the Rogue comment: Now its just more reason to revisit that time period now that we have Shay as a possible antagonist for Connor, Aveline, and Arno to deal with. Their endings were so open ended that it bread crumb its paths to a possible 4 way crossover. They should go back to this.

Right, that's kind of a huge issue I see with Rogue. It was meant to kind of close out and wrap up that saga, but its ending actually left me craving more- and trust me, I was pretty tired of the era, so that's really saying something.

Mr.Black24
02-03-2016, 05:53 PM
Right, that's kind of a huge issue I see with Rogue. It was meant to kind of close out and wrap up that saga, but its ending actually left me craving more- and trust me, I was pretty tired of the era, so that's really saying something.
Its even sympathetically frustrating too when the lead writer for Rogue, Richard Farrese , expressed that he hopes that he and the team gets the ok to go back and finish those stories, when he had that podcast interview with Loomer. Going on saying that it would be great that he can expand Shay and the other characters as loveable legends as they did with Ezio. It was around 1:37:05, in the vid here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aNOdYDnogk

VestigialLlama4
02-03-2016, 05:55 PM
Of course the White Supremacist Traitor-to-Fellow-Irish Shay will get a sequel but not Connor...

Mr.Black24
02-03-2016, 05:57 PM
Of course the White Supremacist Traitor-to-Fellow-Irish Shay will get a sequel but not Connor...

"expand Shay and the other characters as loveable legends"

You missed the fact that it also includes Arno, Connor, and Aveline

cawatrooper9
02-03-2016, 06:02 PM
Its even sympathetically frustrating too when the lead writer for Rogue, Richard Farrese , expressed that he hopes that he and the team gets the ok to go back and finish those stories, when he had that podcast interview with Loomer. Going on saying that it would be great that he can expand Shay and the other characters as loveable legends as they did with Ezio. It was around 1:37:05, in the vid here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aNOdYDnogk

Oh man. I can't play that video now, but I'll take your word for it.

I've never heard that before, but it's pretty frustrating to me. :mad:

This kind of lack of cooperation and cohesion, to me, is the biggest issue with the series.

Mr.Black24
02-03-2016, 08:58 PM
Oh man. I can't play that video now, but I'll take your word for it.

I've never heard that before, but it's pretty frustrating to me. :mad:

This kind of lack of cooperation and cohesion, to me, is the biggest issue with the series. Its kind of why I hold very little negativity towards the devs, at it seems they want to go all out in making good games, but higher ups demand it to play safe and have yearly cycles, therefore no polish time and just money grabbing. Let them be and they'll do good stuff.

cawatrooper9
02-03-2016, 09:43 PM
Its kind of why I hold very little negativity towards the devs, at it seems they want to go all out in making good games, but higher ups demand it to play safe and have yearly cycles, therefore no polish time and just money grabbing. Let them be and they'll do good stuff.

True. I mean, even yearly cycles could be okay if they actually had better communication and coordination between teams.

SpiritOfNevaeh
02-03-2016, 11:42 PM
Stay passionate Mr Black. :)

At this point, you're more hopeful than I am, but I do agree about the continuation of the rest of the characters.

As I stated all the time, they just really need to finish stories before moving onto new ones.

And if they're tight on deadlines and such, why not extend it? That way you avoid glitches as well as story loopholes.

Mr.Black24
02-04-2016, 05:28 PM
Stay passionate Mr Black. :)

At this point, you're more hopeful than I am, but I do agree about the continuation of the rest of the characters.

As I stated all the time, they just really need to finish stories before moving onto new ones.

And if they're tight on deadlines and such, why not extend it? That way you avoid glitches as well as story loopholes.

Oh I will! These characters are amazing, and I would be just the same if they didn't finish Altair and Ezio's stories as well.

Going forward with more stories, people will just notice the ones with gaps more.

I just hope that the yearly break rumor is true. They need to stop hammering this too hard.