PDA

View Full Version : Found a work-around to backup games from Uplay! [Windows PC]

JReaper93
02-01-2016, 10:18 AM
That right I figured out a way to backup any game that you own in Uplay. Its a very easy method, but not exactly ideal. Below are the step by step description about how to achieve this:
1. Click on the game that you want to backup.
2. Click on the "Download" button on the left side of the Uplay client. (The game that you want to backup needs to be uninstalled in order to download it)
3. Follow the on-screen instructions & note the location (path) where the game is to be installed.
4. Browse to the location where the game is to be installed & you will find a folder created there. (Inside the folder there will be another folder named "uplay_download" & a file named "uplay_install.state")
5. Continue downloading the game till there is only 10MB left & pause the download.
6. Copy the entire game folder. (i.e. if you are downloading AC Syndicate, then copy the folder called "Assassin's Creed Syndicate" from the location where you have selected to install the game)
7. Keep the above copied folder safely i.e. either create an ISO or ZIP it.
8. The next time you want to install the game, just repeat Step 2, 3 & 4. Then pause the download & exit Uplay client (Make sure that its not running by checking Task Manager).
9. Extract the game folder from your ISO or ZIP & copy the folder to the location where you have selected to install the game. Replace the entire folder.
10. Then start Uplay client & when you check your Download button on the top right side, you will see that you will only have to download 10MB before starting the game!

I know this method is not ideal, but at the moment this is the only thing that can backup the games. So that we don't have to download the game again & again when we switch PCs or upgrade HDD. I created this thread to appeal to Uplay to create a better option to successfully download & backup games from their Client.