PDA

View Full Version : radial engine versus liquidcooled

zugfuhrer
02-04-2004, 09:12 AM
In many stories articles and other sources about WWII the writers often emphasize the vulnerability of the liquid cooled spitfire, messerschmidt and the durability of the radialengined FW and other radialengine equipped aircrafts.
The writers describe how a hit in the underwing mounted radiator made the pilot look for a place to ditch or emergency land when the engine was overheated because of the lack of cooling liquid. The coolingliquid did cought fire when hit in many occations. Glycol is highly inflammable
The mustang had its radiator mounted in its frame for some reason. Perhaps the underwing placement was to exposed to fire.

Many guncameramovies shows how a hit make the wing leave a great white plume of coolingliquid astern.
But newer in FB or IL2 is the message "radiator leek" or "damage in the cooling system" or whatever it should be, been shown to me.

Is this included in the overall damageprofile for airplanes like the Stuka, Me109, Hurricane, Laggs, IL-2,Migs, P39, P40 and other planes with liquidcooled engines?
If not give Oleg a hint about this to the next patch

[This message was edited by zugfuhrer on Wed February 04 2004 at 11:19 AM.]

[This message was edited by zugfuhrer on Thu February 05 2004 at 02:01 AM.]

[This message was edited by zugfuhrer on Thu February 05 2004 at 07:05 AM.]

zugfuhrer
02-04-2004, 09:12 AM
In many stories articles and other sources about WWII the writers often emphasize the vulnerability of the liquid cooled spitfire, messerschmidt and the durability of the radialengined FW and other radialengine equipped aircrafts.
The writers describe how a hit in the underwing mounted radiator made the pilot look for a place to ditch or emergency land when the engine was overheated because of the lack of cooling liquid. The coolingliquid did cought fire when hit in many occations. Glycol is highly inflammable
The mustang had its radiator mounted in its frame for some reason. Perhaps the underwing placement was to exposed to fire.

Many guncameramovies shows how a hit make the wing leave a great white plume of coolingliquid astern.
But newer in FB or IL2 is the message "radiator leek" or "damage in the cooling system" or whatever it should be, been shown to me.

Is this included in the overall damageprofile for airplanes like the Stuka, Me109, Hurricane, Laggs, IL-2,Migs, P39, P40 and other planes with liquidcooled engines?
If not give Oleg a hint about this to the next patch

[This message was edited by zugfuhrer on Wed February 04 2004 at 11:19 AM.]

[This message was edited by zugfuhrer on Thu February 05 2004 at 02:01 AM.]

[This message was edited by zugfuhrer on Thu February 05 2004 at 07:05 AM.]

p1ngu666
02-04-2004, 09:19 AM
i dont thinkso http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
be cool to have plumes of white smoke http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
i think the 109 could shut down 1 radiator if that happened. it was deisgned to, cant remmber if u actully could or not

xenios
02-04-2004, 01:32 PM
This has been in the sim since the original IL2. Radiators are perhaps the most vulnerable parts of some aircraft in FB, especially the IL2. You won't see a warning message or big, billowing clouds of coolant (maybe just a thin, pale trail coming from the engine on some planes).

HansKnappstick
02-04-2004, 01:37 PM
I suspect this to be modelled though not messaged. Possibly, the remarkable vulnerability of Bf109 series to engine hits has to do with this.

tttiger
02-04-2004, 09:01 PM
I believe Oleg has acknowledged several times that radiator damage in inline engines was not modeled.

ttt

"I want the one that kills the best with the least amount of risk to me"

-- Chuck Yeager describing "The Best Airplane."