PDA

View Full Version : Common Courtesy on Servers

VFS-22_SPaRX
06-01-2004, 10:24 PM
Thanks to the fact that my work load has dropped off a little bit in the last week, I have gotten to fly on the server quite a bit in the last few days. In this time, I have seen somethings that are really starting to bother me as a Server admin. I am sure that many of the other Admins will also back me up on these simple requests.

1. Please Do not hound the server admin about server settings, icons, maps, or your personal connection issues through the in game chat. We are just like everyone else, we have limited time and would rather spend that time enjoying the Servers that we run. Most of us have set up some way for Players to contact us, be it though email, forums or even UBI's forums. The last thing I personally want to do is to start typing answers to 100 questions while i am trying to get a solution on a bogey. I just never seems to fail, soon as i log into the server, BAM!!!!!!!!! here comes the questions and complaints.

2. Please do not discuss Flight models, game inconsistancies, and such while on the Server. Ubi has setup these fine forums for us to discuss these in. Please do not drag these into the servers. Helping a new comer learn to fly is one thing, but to see all this bickering bout what should and should not be is very annoying to see scrolling by in the game chat.

3. This one is in particular to my server. I do not know how other admins feel about it, but i can tell you i do not tolerate this. WATCH your language on the server. Typing F-this, F-that, bullS-, and so on will not be tolerated. I have friends that their teenage children play on my server. I do not wish to expose these kids to this type of behavior. Yes, i konw they get far worse in school, but that is not the point.

4. Respect, Respect, Respect. I never ceases to amaze me how disrespectful players are towards each other. People get this high and mighty attitude when they are sitting behind a keyboard. I would bet that 90% of you would never say the things you type to someones face. So why should you do it in the game chat.

I am sure there are more things i would like to add to this, but i am pretty tired right now and these are the ones that are stickign out in my head right now. Something you all need to consider, Large amounts of in game chat will Create lag. You are increasing the amount of data the server needs to process. So try and keep it minimal. And please, try and practice a little common courtesy to your fellow players.

S~

SPaRX

VFS-22_SPaRX
06-01-2004, 10:24 PM
Thanks to the fact that my work load has dropped off a little bit in the last week, I have gotten to fly on the server quite a bit in the last few days. In this time, I have seen somethings that are really starting to bother me as a Server admin. I am sure that many of the other Admins will also back me up on these simple requests.

1. Please Do not hound the server admin about server settings, icons, maps, or your personal connection issues through the in game chat. We are just like everyone else, we have limited time and would rather spend that time enjoying the Servers that we run. Most of us have set up some way for Players to contact us, be it though email, forums or even UBI's forums. The last thing I personally want to do is to start typing answers to 100 questions while i am trying to get a solution on a bogey. I just never seems to fail, soon as i log into the server, BAM!!!!!!!!! here comes the questions and complaints.

2. Please do not discuss Flight models, game inconsistancies, and such while on the Server. Ubi has setup these fine forums for us to discuss these in. Please do not drag these into the servers. Helping a new comer learn to fly is one thing, but to see all this bickering bout what should and should not be is very annoying to see scrolling by in the game chat.

3. This one is in particular to my server. I do not know how other admins feel about it, but i can tell you i do not tolerate this. WATCH your language on the server. Typing F-this, F-that, bullS-, and so on will not be tolerated. I have friends that their teenage children play on my server. I do not wish to expose these kids to this type of behavior. Yes, i konw they get far worse in school, but that is not the point.

4. Respect, Respect, Respect. I never ceases to amaze me how disrespectful players are towards each other. People get this high and mighty attitude when they are sitting behind a keyboard. I would bet that 90% of you would never say the things you type to someones face. So why should you do it in the game chat.

I am sure there are more things i would like to add to this, but i am pretty tired right now and these are the ones that are stickign out in my head right now. Something you all need to consider, Large amounts of in game chat will Create lag. You are increasing the amount of data the server needs to process. So try and keep it minimal. And please, try and practice a little common courtesy to your fellow players.

S~

SPaRX

heywooood
06-01-2004, 10:32 PM
I saw all of these things and more in the few times I flew online and I have long since decided the competition wasn't worth the trash.

Please think of these things before you log onto a server to fly - you are now in someone elses house - and you are a guest.

Atomic_Marten
06-01-2004, 11:47 PM
I don't play online, yet I understand your frusrtation regarding all this point you highlighted. Look at this forum itself; you'll find a lot of people who use crosswords (in the lack of their vocabulary skills&real arguments) http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif, some smarter individuals are perfidiously insulting other people... etc. It's very sad considering that they very likely doesn't have the courage to say it in your face. If we experiencing all those things on this forum you guys should be no surprised to see it on your server. Pitifully.

Longjocks
06-02-2004, 01:27 AM
Very important points, Sparx. This is another reason I've not focused any energy on getting broadband to play online. Although there are some great people out there who I would enjoy a good, fun game with, I believe they are in the minority and I'm not willing to pay good money on my ISP to sift through the rabble.

One thing I have to say though... if I say anything on a forum, even if it's bad, you can be assured that I would indeed say it to the person's face if I met them. Choose to believe me or not, but the only way you'll find out is if I meet you on the street. It certainly would explain why I have few friends. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Cheers.

http://users.tpg.com.au/mpdeans/misc/midgesign2.gif "Thanks for the inspiration to rise above you all."

LuckyNed
06-02-2004, 02:14 AM
S!
This may sound extreme but I think it would be a good thing if the next "best sim" came with every setting a host might want to change. We have all seen the chat feature ruin a good war or flight. Friendlys could have a type-chat channel or stick to voice comms during war scenerios. What was that guys name from RB days?

Jumoschwanz
06-02-2004, 06:45 AM
I would like to see the option to disable chat on online servers for individual pilots for that server permanently! That would end the career of many a whining online idiot. Sounds doable if the coders would care to spend the time on it?

Jumoschwanz

[This message was edited by Jumoschwanz on Wed June 02 2004 at 05:53 AM.]

jurinko
06-02-2004, 06:59 AM
sparx man pls disable at least enemy icons, they really sux!

---------------------
Letka.13/Liptow @ HL

SUPERAEREO
06-02-2004, 07:09 AM
I am sorry to read about your bad experiences online, gentlemen, but while I have myself often witnessed instances of foul language and unsportmanlike behaviour, I can guarantee you that the vast majority of players I have had the pleasure to meet online have always been fair, polite and fun to fly with.

Am I unique in this? Have I always been lucky in my choice of servers? I hope not!

People who use bad language and have unsporting manners should be banned immediately.

I am quite fond of banter with my RL friends, and when I swear I do it with the verve and gusto of a lorry driver, but acting like that online is just offensive towards everybody and also indicative of a rather pathetic personality.

S!

"The first time I ever saw a jet, I shot it down." - Chuck Yaeger

"Ja, Hunde, wollt ihr denn ewig leben?" - Friedrich der Große

"Timeo Danaos, et dona ferentes" - *neid

JG14_Josf
06-02-2004, 09:57 AM
Message recieved and understood.

Thanks for the Servers Sparx http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

TX-CUDA
06-02-2004, 11:26 AM
...Good post _Sparxx. I would like to add that there are some servers that are not running settings that "AutoKick" high ping pilots.I have been on several servers where I may have a ping of 19 to 150 and the gameplay is smooth as silk go to hell in a handbasket when some pilot joins with a ping that jumps from 300 to 2800 every time he/she is killed or decides to fly another ac..What amazes me is when the other pilots point out that the ping for that pilot is causing lag/stutter in a nice way and the offending pilot should consider finding another server they just ignore it and UFO all over the place!
Pilots PLEASE be respectful of the gameplay others are enjoying and if your ping is too high for that server find another where your ping to server is a lower number.You will find that your game will run better as well as the other pilots you are flying with/against.

TgD Thunderbolt56
06-02-2004, 12:40 PM
Foul language = bad form (and a sign of weak vocabulary)

I especially liked the other night when a player (to remain unnamed) was telling SparX to cool it and mind his own biz... http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/34.gif

I know SaprX isn't quick on the trigger, but I thought (and applauded) him for not admonishing this guy.

Just be respectful...that's all. A little humor is light fun, but hateful remarks followed by vulgarity isn't good for anybody.

http://home.earthlink.net/~aclzkim1/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/il2sig2.jpg

JG52Uther
06-02-2004, 12:52 PM
Well said Sparx,i think your server 'rocks'and i love flying on it,why people cant fly on a server and just have a good time is beyond me.i love every minute i am flying,and just cannot understand why people would want to join a server,have something happen to them,and then whine about it for ages instead of flying! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

TheGozr
06-02-2004, 12:55 PM
Creation of "Dogfight police" "DFPD" "HLPD"

Some well trusted pilots can have the admin password and act upon such behavior.. "BAN""kickout"

Make a list of servers united ( moderator pilots ) something like that. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

There is nothing better to fight versus pilots that respect the servers and pilots it's a pleasure

Or maybe it's just plainty stupid.

-GOZR
http://www.french.themotorhead.com/forgotten-battles/images/IOCompetition.jpg <--Competition Level IL2fb here (http://www.french.themotorhead.com/forgotten-battles/)

SeaFireLIV
06-02-2004, 12:59 PM
It`s a difficult one. Most online flyers are decent, but a lot of them are quite immature and can`t handle defeat in their fave plane, so in a school-like manner must come back with some stupid retort rather than just accept it and move on.

How to solve it? I dunno, you`re dealing with the WORLD out there, there will always be some idiots. Like teamwork, respect is hard for them to understand (similar to the word honour) You can police the site and warn and ban, but like flies they`ll be more. Perhaps persistence will eventually pay off on them, if they know someone`s usually there.

Perhaps reducing lives to 2 or (gulp) even 1 might put off these people? Or a longer `Death-penalty` time? Don`t know.

BaldieJr
06-02-2004, 01:02 PM
Kick them if you don't like the way they conduct themselves.

Being admin = being the bad guy some times. Thats just how it is.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
My Specs (read 'em and weep):
* Automatically grinds whole beans before brewing
* Fully programmable 24 hours in advance
* Brew Pause feature lets you enjoy a cup before brewing has finished
* Automatically shuts off when brewing is complete
* Grind-off feature for brewing ground coffee
* 1-4 cup feature to accommodate coffee for one
* 10-cup double-wall insulated thermal carafe to keep your coffee hot long after brewing
* Gold tone commercial-style permanent filter eliminates the need to buy coffee filters
* Charcoal water filter removes impurities from the water
* Separate grinder chamber and filter area allow for easy cleanup
* Limited 3-year warranty
</pre>

TheGozr
06-02-2004, 01:06 PM
When flying your favorite bird and fighting an strong adversary, he shoot you down.
That the best way to learn use it like a lesson.

There are a lots of great pilots up there .
My hat off to them. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

-GOZR
http://www.french.themotorhead.com/forgotten-battles/images/IOCompetition.jpg &lt;--Competition Level IL2fb here (http://www.french.themotorhead.com/forgotten-battles/)

VFS-22_SPaRX
06-02-2004, 03:00 PM
Thanks for all the good comments guys. Its nice to see support and understanding from the community on this. We are all here to have a good time, and we do not need players ruining it for us.

Yeah TBolt, i am not quick on the trigger very often. I mean you really have to strike the right cord for me to just remove you instantly. There have been a few occasions that has happened. But i also live by "to command respect, you must give respect". So you will always see me try to diplomatically work through a situation rather then just hand out swift judgements.

Baldie, I know sometimes you have to be the bad guy, but i really do not like doing that. It falls under the "i want to enjoy my free time as well catagory." I know sometimes there is no choice in the matter.

Jurinko, You bring up another topic that annoys me greatly as well http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. Making comments like that while we are discussing something totally different. And just to repeat myself for maybe the 100th time http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif, the settings on the server will NOT change. These settings have developed over time and are IMHO the best to apease the majority of players.

Ok, so enough of this, i think everyone understands what has been said here, and its really not asking much. Just a little respect is all it takes and we can all have a good time.

S~

SPaRX

www.war-clouds.net (http://www.war-clouds.net)

Capt_Pepper
06-02-2004, 03:22 PM
Man oh man....I'm not sure where to begin with this one....

Sparx, I applaud your patience and understanding, which I consider great qualities and often wish I had more of both.

Personally, I don't give a hoot about points, number of kills, settings, who's uber, who's not.....I fly on your server because of the usually great bunch of folks that also enjoy it as much as I do; many of whom I consider to be friends and would certainly socialize with anytime, anywhere.

However, I've never felt more embarassed or worse on line than I did a few nights back when one of our fellow pilots announced that he was letting his 10 year old take a turn at the stick. For those of you that don't know or care, for a child (especially at that age!!!) to be able to participate with their dad in an activity that HE enjoys is something VERY special!!!!!!

No sooner than this was announced, it was a barrage of F this, F that, and F you, which came up on the screen....comms are one thing when its all adults, but on screen is another matter....especially when you've been notified that a child is there.

I will say that I find the vast majority of War Clouds people are very respectful in most all ways and certainly with on screen language. Additionally, by no means do I consider myself any better than anyone else, but to have a fellow pilot TELL you his CHILD is flying.....and then to do that, is simply inexcusable!!!!!

Nice going...you've certainly given that father and his child something to remember you (and all of us) by.....

Simply put, if you can't abide by the very few rules and requests asked of you by the host...ANY host...please go elsewhere!

Perhaps a War Clouds club of some sort is the answer. At least that way a good thing won't be ruined for the many folks that enjoy it as opposed to the few who don't care.

My apologies to those in the community that are considerate and respectful of others and then some; especially to those with whom I usually fly. This incident, however, really, really bothered me.

[This message was edited by Capt_Pepper on Wed June 02 2004 at 02:37 PM.]

nickdanger3
06-02-2004, 03:37 PM
Capt_Pepper - that is stunning. It's pathetic that people would think that that was even remotely funny.

SPaRX - Sounds like you're reaching that point that Slammin did a couple months ago where he just threw up his hands and said enough - so by way of pre-emption - HANG IN THERE. Being a host means occasionally having to deal with rude guests.

While people are correct that servers are hosts, we should remember that, lacking a password, they are hosting an open house - the party ISN'T invitation only. Some of the crashers are jerks, but most of us are well behaved and thank you guys for all your hard work and generosity.

Capt_Pepper
06-02-2004, 03:40 PM
Just to clarify...they weren't swearing at the pilot or child, just each other....completely ignoring the announcement that a child was there.

JG52Uther
06-02-2004, 03:51 PM
SPaRX,considering what capt .Pepper has just said,would it not be a good idea to instantly ban anyone for swearing.it takes me a lot longer to type the 'F' word than say it,so its not an 'off the cuff' thing,it is deliberate and should not be tolerated at all

SithSpeeder
06-02-2004, 04:11 PM
I PM'd Sparx on a similar issue that Capt_Pepper hit that occurred just a couple of nights ago. In this case, a person hailing from Iran came on (the server "welcomes" everyone naming their home country). A particularly bigoted individual immediately typed "Eeeek, a terrorist!" and when I and another admonished him that he was in bad form, he proceeded to go off on how they are suicidal jihad-ists, etc. etc. I was...disgusted, enraged, embarassed...ARGH...it still burns me. Not only did the Iranian flier immediately leave, but so did several others (I believe over the offender's _continuing_ chat comments).

There was a moment where I was going to leave, too. But I thought to myself that if I leave this wonderful server and this otherwise great group that I'm flying with/against, this bigot is essentially controlling my actions. And even though I don't want to be around him (virtually or in reality), I thought it would be better to NOT bail and to keep our little neighborhood (the good servers) populated by as many folks as possible who welcome everyone. I'm not saying I'm all high and mighty or anything, just that I do believe strongly in mutual respect and I don't believe in giving in to bullies and bigots.

There was even a moment when I was tempted to teamshoot the offender, but I knew I'd be sinking/stinking to his level.

I have proof (screenshot) and witnesses of the initial remark. Is this not enough to ban this guy?

* _54th_Speeder *

"[T]he real measure of a Man is what he does when no one else is looking:
when he is guided by his own sense of right and wrong."
-Ted Hoffman, "Murder One", ABC

http://members.cox.net/~ijhutch/_images/400x200sig.jpg

ZG77_Lignite
06-02-2004, 09:54 PM
This page shouldn't fall off the board, these are the kinds of attitudes I'd like to promote in our community.

P.S. Wouldn't a 'VoteKick' function be really wonderful? I suppose it would cause just that much more lag for my old dial-up, but it would be worth it.

Slammin_
06-03-2004, 06:41 AM
I'm pretty sure fbdaemon has a mute function though I've never used it. I'd personally like to mute all chat http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SeaFireLIV
06-03-2004, 07:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ZG77_Lignite:
This page shouldn't fall off the board, these are the kinds of attitudes I'd like to promote in our community.

P.S. Wouldn't a 'VoteKick' function be really wonderful? I suppose it would cause just that much more lag for my old dial-up, but it would be worth it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only problem with that (as I found with other online programs) is that the same malcontents who have no respect would start trying to vote anyone off they didn`t like. Can be annoying having your name popping up to be voted off, when you`ve done nothing wrong and some other idiot actually votes for it as well! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

ZG77_Lignite
06-03-2004, 11:08 AM
Thats a good point SeaFire, maybe the concept needs some work, but if I had to guess, I'd say that on any decent server (where such a feature would be useful) the number of malcontents are greatly outnumbered by the decent folk, whereas the reverse is often the case on FPS games (my experience mostly limited to Day of Defeat). I think after it was in use for a period of time, it would actually act as a deterent to abhorent behavior, limiting the malcontents to far fewer servers, and forcing them to congregate amongst themselves.

RJNewly
06-03-2004, 11:08 AM
I was playing WarClouds last night and a great server it is! I also noticed an individual using foul language and saw that he was reprimanded by one of the other players. He continued, and I chimed in to also ask him to stop using foul language. His response was, "You aint seen nothing yet". He continued but I believe that Mustang Sally was eventually kicked from the server becasue he reached three kills. I do feel bad for the kids and parents that they have to endure that.

I also have a 10 year old son who loves the game Halo. He also likes to play online and the language used there is unbeleivable harsh compared to IL2 I have told him not to participate in chat and to ignore what is said if he wants to play.

My question to the community is, Can the software providers build filters into the chat bar to remove this foul language?

Matz0r
06-03-2004, 11:26 AM
Fortunately on the internet you are free to create police states. Give admin rights to regulars and moderately heavilty, eventually the idiots will learn to stay away at the same time the server will attract more level minded players.

http://home.swipnet.se/hotascougar/pics/p51blamgreysmall.gif

Monty_Thrud
06-03-2004, 11:28 AM
SeafireLIV...thats exactly what happens on Battlefield 1942...if you kill someone all they do is vote to get you kicked, then the rest of the game is people voting to kick people who also killed them, ruins the game completely.
Also in IL2FB i have my chat window at the smallest possible size and only use it mostly for calls for assistance

http://www.uploadit.org/bsamania/Huzzy_no_ordnance03.jpg
"#2 Attack that ship".."#1..with what?".."#2 your ordnance DAMMIT!".."#1 my ordnance is in Olegs office, same place yours is".."#2 we'd better learn German then"