PDA

View Full Version : The Assassin's Creed Movie - Release Date concerns

Sorrosyss
01-31-2016, 09:50 PM
The stated release date for the Assassin's Creed movie is of great concern to me as a fan.

This should sum it up pretty well;

Star Wars: Rogue One - December 16th 2016
Assassin's Creed - December 21st 2016

The success of The Force Awakens had a large impact on the movies released at the same time, with many theatres choosing to sacrifice showing other films just to try and cope with the demand for the new Star Wars film. Even the critically acclaimed The Hateful Eight, the new Tarantino film, found itself playing in far less screens than it had expected.

“We’re living in a ‘Star Wars’ universe,” he said. “I love ‘Star Wars.’ I think it’s great. It’s not sour grapes, but if I’m writing a memo to myself, I would say ‘do not open against ‘Star Wars.’ Do not open against the biggest movie of all time. We would have doubled the gross without ‘Star Wars'.

- Harvey Weinstein, Executive Producer on The Hateful Eight
(Source: Variety (http://variety.com/2016/film/news/hateful-eight-box-office-quentin-tarantino-1201670819/))

So then comes the same problem for the holiday season this year. Admittedly Rogue One is not expected to do as well as Episode 7 did, but it is still likely to dominate the box office. With the AC movie releasing just days afterwards, I cannot help but feel that moving the release date forward or backwards a month would ultimately benefit the movie. Media attention is always focused on how well a movie does at opening weekend, and those that have a small one are usually labeled a flop without much focus or merit given to the quality of the product. As things stand, the AC movie may ultimately be forced into a smaller amount of screens without any choice in the matter.

In light of all this, I'd highly recommend to Ubisoft, and those behind the film, that a release date change is surely in the best interests of both the movie and the franchise itself.

VestigialLlama4
01-31-2016, 09:59 PM
This isn't exactly Prime Star Wars...Rogue One doesn't have any of the main star wars characters and has basically nobodies in new roles.

But yeah, for AC to release against it is a pretty big risk.

m4r-k7
01-31-2016, 10:48 PM
^Darth Vader and Bobba Fett will be in it apparently.

ERICATHERINE
02-01-2016, 12:49 AM
On one side, I think if the movie is released one month before the release date it might get better rating than if it's released on the actual release date or even one month later, since the star wars movie would not be that much in the minds of the people. That way no comparison might be made until the star wars movie is released, about which is better.

On the other hand there might be risk in releasing the movie 1 month after the actual release date. If the rumor about the remaster collection is true many people might prefer keep playing it instead of watching the movie, thinking of only buy or rent it when it'll be possible. Personnaly, I think the Assassin's creed movie might get more ac fans watching it, than anyone else, even with many ac fans too occupied by the remaster collection to go see it, even if some like me will go watch the 2 movies may there be a remaster collection or not. ^-^

cawatrooper9
02-01-2016, 09:03 PM
Yeah, Rogue One probably isn't going to be as overwhelmingly successful as TFA, but even making a fraction of that movie would be a feat for many studios.
I'm looking forward to Rogue One, and honestly, I'd choose it over AC if I had to.

But honestly, I'll probably shell out for both.

Ureh
02-01-2016, 09:13 PM
It's a trap.

But I think they're making the right gamble by springing the trap. Star Wars is truly a behemoth but people will always want more to consume. If enough films try to avoid that month then the AC movie might actually stand out more... in a good way, hopefully.

SixKeys
02-01-2016, 10:16 PM
This is just me putting my tinfoil hat on, but this seems like a publicity stunt to show people that Ubi have a lot of confidence in this movie. They may very well change the release date down the line.

BATISTABUS
02-02-2016, 12:13 AM
On a positive note, most people see Star Wars within the first week and they open a week apart.

eaglefan129
02-02-2016, 01:10 AM
Like others have stated, this is not Episode 8. All it's got is a Star Wars title in front of Rogue One. With that being said, I think Ubisoft needs to worry about making a critically acclaimed movie then worrying about box office numbers, to avoid the stigma that video game movies suck. Plus, why can't someone see both films? That's probably what I'm going to be ending up doing anyway.

I-Like-Pie45
02-02-2016, 01:49 AM
well I think some religious groups are probably more likely to watch a movie about space wizards fighting space nazis with explosions and lasers over a movie about assassins killing people because these movies are pretty non-partisan and unambiguous and as inoffensive as can be unless you are the type of Star Wars watcher who unironically roots for the space nazis and their football player overlords Death Vader and Kyle Ran. So basically unless you happen to be Harlan Ellison, a Star Trek fan, or a Star Wars fan everybody loves Star Wars. Its a brand thats been built to appeal to all potential audiences. But AC isn't a brand that has that same sort of broad appeal. I think an AC movie may be a lot less appealing to several audience groups since the games have all but shown that all the big religious events like Jesus Parting The Red Sea were actually just illusions created by Magical Evolution Wizards' leftover toys so people might get offended by the liberties taken with their religion.

on an unrelated tangent I wonder how many conspiracy nuts will take this movie as a documentary

ERICATHERINE
02-02-2016, 03:33 AM
Plus, why can't someone see both films? That's probably what I'm going to be ending up doing anyway.

Same thing for me. ^-^

Ureh
02-02-2016, 05:47 AM
Same thing for me. ^-^

Me three. On the rare occasions that I do go to the theaters, I always try to watch at least two movies on the same day. No breaks in between, no food, no water, no phone. Nothing but sw and ac, everything else is redundant.

I-Like-Pie45
02-02-2016, 06:42 AM
Well you see not everyone has disposable incomes these days, especially when some people just have to get snacks before the movie. Bring along the family, and a movie trip might cost just as much as a new AAA game or a trip to the gourmet steakhouse

so unless you hop theaters or smuggle in your own food, movies are pretty expensive

Sorrosyss
02-02-2016, 11:55 AM
The Pie makes a good point. Being on the run up to Christmas, most people are short on monies anyway at that time of the year. Big families may only have the funds to see one movie.

My local theatre bumped the costs of their own food and drink to ridiculous levels when I last went. You can understand why so many turn to Blu Ray or DVD these days, as it's so much cheaper than the theatre.

cawatrooper9
02-02-2016, 03:23 PM
It's true, many people are short on cash around Christmas, but that doesn't stop them from seeing films- the numbers don't lie.

There's a reason that the Christmas season sees so many big releases- more than any part of the year, outside of summer blockbuster season.

ze_topazio
02-02-2016, 03:50 PM
I'm short on cash all year round.

ERICATHERINE
02-02-2016, 04:58 PM
The Pie makes a good point. Being on the run up to Christmas, most people are short on monies anyway at that time of the year. Big families may only have the funds to see one movie.

Well, first of all I would ask for seeing at least one of the movies without having to pay anything, for christmas, which would obviously save me my money.

Secondly, at least for now I don't think it will be a good idea to watch this movie with a kid. This movie might be 18 +, after all. ^-^

murphdawg1
02-04-2016, 03:41 AM
I'm more interested in the Assassin's Creed movie than Rogue One and I loved The Force Awakens.

SixKeys
02-04-2016, 04:44 AM
Well, first of all I would ask for seeing at least one of the movies without having to pay anything, for christmas, which would obviously save me my money.

Secondly, at least for now I don't think it will be a good idea to watch this movie with a kid. This movie might be 18 +, after all. ^-^

No way. PG-13 at most.

BananaBlighter
02-04-2016, 09:53 AM
No way. PG-13 at most.

I wouldn't go that far. This type of violence is more graphical than stuff like superhero fighting. However here in England where BBFC rate the movies, you can get BBFC rated versions of AC up until Revelations, and they're all rated 15.

VestigialLlama4
02-04-2016, 11:31 AM
I wouldn't go that far. This type of violence is more graphical than stuff like superhero fighting. However here in England where BBFC rate the movies, you can get BBFC rated versions of AC up until Revelations, and they're all rated 15.

This is the difference between games and movies. In games, an M-rating is lucrative because it targets the adolescent teen crowd. In movies, the R-Rated Blockbuster has long been a Holy Grail and aside from macho action films starring Bruce Willis it doesn't happen, especially not for properties associated with fantasy and genre elements. You don't have superhero R rated movies or fantasy R rated movies.

cawatrooper9
02-04-2016, 03:35 PM
The Lord of the Rings films were rated PG-13, and the violence in them is pretty similar to what we might see in an AC movie. I guess it all depends on how much blood they tend to show.

Just kidding! It absolutely depends on how much sex and profanity is in the film. The MPAA doesn't care about violence! :rolleyes:

VestigialLlama4
02-04-2016, 03:44 PM
The Lord of the Rings films were rated PG-13, and the violence in them is pretty similar to what we might see in an AC movie. I guess it all depends on how much blood they tend to show.

Just kidding! It absolutely depends on how much sex and profanity is in the film. The MPAA doesn't care about violence! :rolleyes:

THIS. I mean so long as the movie avoids F-Bombs and keeps the ladies tops on and Fassbender from going nude again, they can stab to their heart's content.

BananaBlighter
02-04-2016, 06:02 PM

That's very true. In movies, violence doesn't really make much of a difference. Unless there's torture or something. I guess when you are the one controlling the killing, it's going to be seen as a lot worse.

And there probably will be sex.

ERICATHERINE
02-04-2016, 06:27 PM
Unless there's torture or something.

In fact, torture is possible in the past days of the movie. The past days are in Ezio's time and we already saw torture in ac lineage which was also in Ezio's time. ^-^

cawatrooper9
02-04-2016, 07:53 PM
In fact, torture is possible in the past days of the movie. The past days are in Ezio's time and we already saw torture in ac lineage which was also in Ezio's time. ^-^

I mean, it's about the Spanish Inquisition. Torture was kind of a thing back then.

Whether or not it'll be graphic enough is up for debate, though. There were "torture" scenes in Episodes IV and V of Star Wars, and while they were part of the store they were treated pretty tastefully and were not at all focused on.

Ureh
02-04-2016, 11:39 PM
That's very true. In movies, violence doesn't really make much of a difference. Unless there's torture or something. I guess when you are the one controlling the killing, it's going to be seen as a lot worse.

And there probably will be sex.

If that happens then the film might end right there, or signify that there is nothing more to show for Aguilar and return back to the present, or the rest of the movie will point at the mom's belly. Or....

cawatrooper9
02-04-2016, 11:46 PM
If that happens then the film might end right there, or signify that there is nothing more to show for Aguilar and return back to the present, or the rest of the movie will point at the mom's belly. Or....

Haha, true... assuming they actually follow Animus lore.

melbye82
02-05-2016, 12:04 AM
If they can move it up to October or November that might be a good idea. Moving Mission impossible 5 up from December to August worked really well for them

ERICATHERINE
02-08-2016, 10:24 PM
^Darth Vader and Bobba Fett will be in it apparently.

This don't show Boba, but it show that it'll be a musical with a new sith, a new jedi, Darth Vader and Chewbacca. XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgAlQuqzl8o

Mr_Shade
02-09-2016, 11:10 AM
Plus, why can't someone see both films? That's probably what I'm going to be ending up doing anyway.

To be honest, I think most people will?

And in the UK for one, we have buy one get one free offers at cinemas and half price day deals :)

I-Like-Pie45
02-09-2016, 08:01 PM
Mr. Shade if your cinemas are giving discounts and aren't charging $50 for a hot dog and $100 for a drink they aren't doing it right

Mr.GoodKall
02-10-2016, 12:30 AM
Yea i agree, im not sure this is a good idea... I don't want poor sales giving people the idea that this is a poor film

crusader_prophet
12-08-2016, 10:14 PM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-ticket-presales-are-big-951164

Whelp! Does anyone have pre-sale numbers for AC movie?

Sorrosyss
12-10-2016, 09:45 AM
It's funny, I thought of this thread the other day. I don't know how it is for everyone else, but in the UK it seems the film (at present) is on a limited run. Tickets are on sale now, yet my nearest three cinemas all do not have any showings to book for - and they have other stuff going through till Mid January.

I walk past one cinema when I go to work, so I went in and asked the staff. I won't embarass the manager by mentioning the location, but I was politely informed that of the 8 screens they have, 6 have been earmarked for Star Wars for a whole month. The remaining two screens have been allocated for other genres other than 'action'. As such they have 'no plans' for AC at the general release date. That may change into the middle of January, but in short it's going to impact it's box office in the UK if it's a similar picture across the country.

It's really frustrating as a fan to see this, especially when many of us saw this coming a mile off. I'm surprised the marketeers at Fox or Ubi still went down this route given what was likely to happen with Star Wars. What's worse is on my way to work I saw the AC poster on every bus stop, and the side of every bus with "Book Now" sprawled all over it. As things stand I'll have to travel quite a distance to get to a suitable cinema, and even those that are showing it on opening day are for the most part only doing one late showing - which will make travelling back home by public transport awkward.

But yeah, I hope other countries are faring better than the UK appears to be with this release. :(

As a further confirmation, I've had a look at the two films on MyVue.com, one of the larger UK cinema chains. AC is showing in less than half of the cinemas that Star Wars is.

http://i.imgur.com/KwubwYn.png

Locopells
12-10-2016, 06:40 PM
Pfft, my nearest cinema is a one screen, so it takes a while to get through all the Christmas films anyway. Price you pay for avoiding the big chains, I suppose...

http://i.imgur.com/8kKFfrZ.jpg (https://support.ubi.com)
Thanks to strigoi1958 for the sig!