PDA

View Full Version : realistic torque effect in 1.21?

XyZspineZyX
12-05-2003, 03:31 PM
Where is it?

XyZspineZyX
12-05-2003, 03:31 PM
Where is it?

XyZspineZyX
12-05-2003, 03:35 PM
Take an aircraft such as the P-51. Then slow it down to fairly close to stall speed with the engine throttled back. Then open the throttle suddenly... The effect is pretty interesting. Maybe not quite as strong as it should be but it is nice to see it in the sim.

ZG77_Nagual
12-05-2003, 04:15 PM
Agreed, I'm seeing increased torque in all planes - you really have to throttle down in hammerhead's and whatnot or you'll loose it.

http://pws.chartermi.net/~cmorey/pics/whiner.jpg

XyZspineZyX
12-05-2003, 04:21 PM
Oleg said that the torque was up...but not anywhere near what some people were calling for. Said its a limit to what the engine can do.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/temp_sig.jpg
"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few." - Winston Churchill

XyZspineZyX
12-05-2003, 05:52 PM
slightly stronger torgue in takeoffs would be nice. Now after aligning with the runaway, takeoffs can be done with minimal rudder adjustments. Does anybody have experience in real life, how pronounced the effect is?
My dad overdid his first takeoff by giving too much pedal and he felt that the torgue was way too small. He has some experience, but not with these birds.

XyZspineZyX
12-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Thanks Oleg for increased torque effects. Might not have been as much as IRL, but is astounding how many things Oleg has responded to in this patch.

Thanks Oleg and Co.!

XyZspineZyX
12-05-2003, 08:56 PM
It was possible to flip some of these aircraft completely over if full throttle was hit from idle. This from anecdotal information from WWII pilots.

XyZspineZyX
12-05-2003, 09:12 PM
Viking1 wrote:
- It was possible to flip some of these aircraft
- completely over if full throttle was hit from idle.
- This from anecdotal information from WWII pilots.
-

If you are talking about in-flight (as opposed to standing on the ground), the aircraft in the current version will flip if you do what I described in the first post. Slow down close to stall, then slam the throttle open and at least for the P-51 you get a nice flip. Of course, this doesn't happen at high speed (which it shouldn't since the aerodynamic damping forces are much higher).

As mentioned, the implementation is not perfect yet but it is pretty good.

XyZspineZyX
12-05-2003, 11:44 PM
I guess the people are missing the difficulty in take-off...However, I think it would be interesting to model torque, resulting uneven weight on the wheels, the distance of the wheels to the longitudinal axis of the aircraft, resulting yaw during taxing, different friction on different surface, maybe angle of the ground. Stabilizing whether tail wheel's on the ground or not, locked or not. Sure, sounds like elementary stuff too lines of code, the lack of such means automatically lack of torque modeling? Pretty principal, so please Oleg, how about it?

-------------------------------------
http://people.freenet.de/hausberg/schimpf.gif

XyZspineZyX
12-06-2003, 12:21 AM
I agree, Ugly_Kid, in theory there is a lot of detail modeling in this department that can still be added, and I think it would make a worthwhile addition to the sim. Still, it is nice to see that things are improving in this regard.

XyZspineZyX
12-06-2003, 12:58 AM
this is all we are gonna get for torque.Lets be realistic and agree that its just a placeholder for realistic torque modeling.BOB should open our eyes wide since this will hopefully have some excellent engine specific torque/gyro effect modeling.

In one of the 109's you get some realistic gyro effect....cant remember which one but whebn your on the ground and you slam the throttle the whole plane tips onto a wing and back when you cut tooo quick.

XyZspineZyX
12-06-2003, 01:23 AM
Oryx wrote:
- I agree, Ugly_Kid, in theory there is a lot of
- detail modeling in this department that can still be
- added, and I think it would make a worthwhile
- addition to the sim. Still, it is nice to see that
- things are improving in this regard.
-
-

Actually I was trying to reach a sort of cynic or sceptic tone but words seem to fail me /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif ...anyway, frankly I think that there are excellent trials to simulate something like car in a PC simulator, formula 1 etc. In the end effect torque effects during the take-off and taxing are way no less complicated than a typical interaction suspension/road. Like you said torque effects _during flight_ are pretty much present and noticeable. So I assume this lack of torque discussion comes from take-offs.

I think it's already quite impressive that while rolling the aircraft in FB is able to recognise the ground slope and roll downhill, for example. Modeling something like complex and I mean _covering_ ground/tyre/ldg interaction during aircraft take-off is a simulation in itself.

I bet it would be possible to model interactive animation requiring full pedal input during take-off otherwise ending up in a catastrophic flames and stuff and the people would be swearing that "man that's some heavy torque modeling" - yet it would come as close to a real thing as skipping the whole headache. I am personally quite happy if there is halfway real feeling after the moment I retract the landing gear, that's in the end what a flight simulator is all about...

-------------------------------------
http://people.freenet.de/hausberg/schimpf.gif

XyZspineZyX
12-06-2003, 03:11 AM
Try sitting on the runway and suddenly throttle up. I noticed it right away. It may not be 100%....sometimes I think people just expect too much from this sim. It is a SIM run on a computer and a lot of us expect it to accurately model physics that...is really mindboggling..not only in it's simplicity but in it's consistancy throughout the universe......think about it.... It will take a long time for that to happen...the 100% modeling of real world physics.... maybe 95%......but 100% will never happen..it cant because it's NOT the real world. I think many of us have become spoiled and in a way Oleg has become a victim of his own creativity...... I think this is the most realistic torque i have ever seen........just like FB has the most realistic DMs and FMs of any WW2 sim. Perfect it isnt but the best out?? By far.......

<CENTER>http://www.world-wide-net.com/tuskegeeairmen/ta-1943.jpg <marquee><FONT COLOR="RED"><FONT SIZE="+1">"Straighten up.......Fly right..~S~"<FONT SIZE> </marquee> http://www.geocities.com/rt_bearcat

<CENTER><FONT COLOR="ORANGE">vflyer@comcast.net<FONT COLOR>
<Center><div style="width:200;color:red;font-size:18pt;filter:shadow Blur[color=red,strength=8)">99th Pursuit Squadron

XyZspineZyX
12-06-2003, 03:29 AM
torque is a tiny bit better. But way off reality. Oleg implies limits to modeling torque in FB engine. This seems so strange since it could be modeled quite well in sims like CFS2. The add-on spit had wicked torque on take off, which was really cool.

I think we should keep asking

XyZspineZyX
12-06-2003, 12:54 PM
Why not just be happy with what we have?Let BOB become what we want!

The less people ask for more realistic this and more realistic that the more we all can get on with just using the sim for what it is.Its a great sim at that!!!

XyZspineZyX
12-08-2003, 07:40 AM
I've just noticed that when you stop the engine now in FB the plane actually moves in conjuction with the troque being released. The wings waggle and the plane moves.

I hadn't noticed this before.

Is this something new or did I miss it before.

I just keep seeing something new everyday.

XyZspineZyX
12-08-2003, 02:50 PM
ive noticed it/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

whineingu /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
12-08-2003, 05:45 PM
Bearcat99 wrote:
- Try sitting on the runway and suddenly throttle up.
- I noticed it right away. It may not be
- 100%....sometimes I think people just expect too
- much from this sim. It is a SIM run on a computer
- and a lot of us expect it to accurately model
- physics that...is really mindboggling..not only in
- it's simplicity but in it's consistancy throughout
- the universe......think about it.... It will take a
- long time for that to happen...the 100% modeling of
- real world physics.... maybe 95%......but 100% will
- never happen..it cant because it's NOT the real
- world. I think many of us have become spoiled and in
- a way Oleg has become a victim of his own
- creativity...... I think this is the most realistic
- torque i have ever seen........just like FB has the
- most realistic DMs and FMs of any WW2 sim. Perfect
- it isnt but the best out?? By far.......
-

On the Nosey!

XyZspineZyX
12-08-2003, 06:45 PM
Stationary torque is there but it needs to be synchronised a little more with the engines- take the P51 for example- when you turn the engine on it doesnt rock until the engine bites and then goes into idle- a second or two later than it should do. If you watch a real war bird start up (i'll use the spit) then you will see that it rocks as soon as the engine starts trying to catch the sparks. It may even rock slightly when the starter motor kicks in

My 2 pence worth http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif