PDA

View Full Version : Some graphical, interface, and mechanic issues, ending with things that I'd like.

Ryan Cans
01-29-2016, 09:06 PM
First off, a bit of this stuff was encountered yesterday. I had been playing from the moment the servers had opened.

Red tint of being downed persists beyond expiration: Yesterday while doing the hospital mission with 3 others, they went down first, followed by me. When I died, we reloaded from a checkpoint, but my entire screen became tinted with red, like I was still down but not out! It lasted like this for a long time, to well after the mission was done and we were on to other things. Something to mention, when I viewed a cut scene at the Post Office, it was not in red tint, but following, everything went right back to being a tinted red. Eventually, things did stop being a red tint, but I'm unsure how the issue was resolved.

The omnipresent red grid: At some point, though not very long following the cessation of the red tint as mentioned above, a new type of issue took place, though one that was vastly less bothersome. At some point, for some unexplainable reason, I noticed that everything had a red outline, including my character, angles on objects, my equipment, and even my character's eyes, which ended up looking very red and eerie. With polygonal/object angles and edges tinted red, it gave the resemblance that a red grid was present on everything. This went away a lot more quickly then the red tint.

The missing map zones and the case of the non-existent helicopter:Just a brief moment ago around 2 EST today not long after just getting on, I was in the DZ, when I noticed that neither my mini-map nor my large map didn't show the boundaries of contaminated zones, landmarks, or extraction zones. They were present in a way, at least to the point that contaminated zones made a minor change to the HUD, but in the case of the extraction zones, this led to a different issue: the game didn't register me being in an extraction zone, so I couldn't call in an extraction.

Thankfully someone else chose to call in the extraction, but there's more: when it finally came in, I immediately encountered 2 issues: One, I saw no chopper, nor did I see a rope, but I did see a timer circle on the ground, and the graphical indicator of where you interact with the rope. Two, when I walked up to that graphical indicator, it said the usual "press X to extract" or whatever, but doing so neither filled up the progress bar, led to any action caused by my character, or resulted in an extraction at all.

So in short, by not having the proper section of map being orange colored, I could not see helicopters, and could not interact with them or their extraction zones. That's a pretty nasty issue!

The pulse that pinged instead: Pretty minor issue here, but one that certainly seems more troublesome then it actually is. Sometimes, typically in a series of pulses, when I use it again, the expanding pulse ring immediately vanishes, no ability is consumed, and effectively, the ability does not get used. It's like you chose to pulse and the game said "Nope". So far, this has only happened in the Dark Zone, but even more strange, it has also to this point happened only close to or around the Safe House. It should also be mentioned that sometimes when it stops, it'll stop when the screen turns fuzzy from the pulse, and the fuzziness lingers for a brief moment.

"Looking for items? Too bad, here're some rats instead"/The Recon Pulse and the hassles of it: I like the concept of the Recon Pulse. Being able to locate items is nice, but it's so bothersome when instead of finding a container at the location of those white squares, I instead find myself a rat, or a crow, or it's obscured by people in the streets! Frankly, having the pulse icons of containers being the exact same color and typical shape as the rodents of the city is a bother, since #1: There aren't enough bullets in the apocalyptic world to kill all of the rats in New York, and #2: It sort of muddies the item-locating ability of the pulse. And frankly, the rats aren't even the biggest issue here! Why does it feel like the amount of time that scanned objects linger on my screen is related to the recharge rate of my pulse? If I don't scan any enemies, the lootable object icons persist for 1/4th the average time!

I originally had hoped that lootable items would have been updated to the mini-map if they were successfully picked-up by the pulse, but now I consider the full range of the pulse itself, that's bit much to ask. The next thing I would have wanted would have been clarification that is more obvious on how it located and relayed the information you were looking for. "Since it does not update my map like it does my enemies, how does my pulse tell me about the items nearby?" This question ended up being answered by pure observation. Some people might not get how it works... ever.

In my opinion, I feel that the Recon Pulse might need a slight modification, at least with respect to the item-finding ability it possesses. Perhaps provide it with a compass icon to point you to the closest lootable object, or maintain the expanded scan range of the pulse, but make it's item finding ability 1/4th that range. Then at least it can justify updating the map. Or... perhaps at the very least, give containers a detection square color.

Some other minor things/A few things that I'd think would be nice additions: A mini-map pulse ring: In relation to the pulse, I would love it if the detection ring was displayed on the mini-map, like it did in the world, so that from your character icon, an orange ring would expand outwards. I think a minor change like that would be nice.

Environmental Context sensitive actions: I just though of this now. I feel that it would be nice if your character could with the press of a button, interact with the normal environment to cause some minor change that might better suit his needs at that moment. For example: opening a car door for extra cover, pulling some drapes aside to provide concealment or perhaps leaning over an edge to sacrifice a little cover for more vertical reach with his weapons. Propping up a pellet for minor cover. Hiding in a van or truck! Minor things, like that! There's room for a lot of ideas, and I'm pretty sure a lot of ideas like that would fit along well in this game, because of their situational nature!

More NPC interaction: It'd be nice to help out some of the people a little bit more. It's always pretty sad to just see a person lie down and then just die, or to see someone trying to get to something, only to fail miserably.

An option to holster weapons while outside safe zones: Pretty self-explanatory. If it'll make NPC's less nervous to be around you, and other players less cautious, I'm all for it.

A stash size indicator: All DZ extracted goods go to the stash, but you can't tell how full the stash is. That's inconvenient..

A weapon favorite option?

A way to examine your character when trying out clothes.

That's pretty much all I can say about the game up to this point, though further things will be edited in.

UbiBooma
01-29-2016, 09:53 PM
Ryan Cans, this is GREAT. Thanks so much for reporting all these issues. Also, have you read this (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1376863-Closed-Beta-Report-a-Bug)thread?

Cheers,
Booma

CopyableOak1875
01-29-2016, 11:11 PM
Red tint of being downed persists beyond expiration: Yesterday while doing the hospital mission with 3 others, they went down first, followed by me. When I died, we reloaded from a checkpoint, but my entire screen became tinted with red, like I was still down but not out! It lasted like this for a long time, to well after the mission was done and we were on to other things. Something to mention, when I viewed a cut scene at the Post Office, it was not in red tint, but following, everything went right back to being a tinted red. Eventually, things did stop being a red tint, but I'm unsure how the issue was resolved.

The omnipresent red grid: At some point, though not very long following the cessation of the red tint as mentioned above, a new type of issue took place, though one that was vastly less bothersome. At some point, for some unexplainable reason, I noticed that everything had a red outline, including my character, angles on objects, my equipment, and even my character's eyes, which ended up looking very red and eerie. With polygonal/object angles and edges tinted red, it gave the resemblance that a red grid was present on everything. This went away a lot more quickly then the red tint.

I had something similar to this just occur to me, not sure which one of the two it is, kinda a combo of both, took a Screenshot on Xbox One to give an idea. The issue persisted with me though, I ended up quitting out entirely via dashboard and then coming back in to find the red grid gone.

Screenshot is here - http://imgur.com/QTxbaIk

(apologies mods/admins if I'm not allowed to post links to screenshots)

Ryan Cans
01-30-2016, 06:19 AM
Ryan Cans, this is GREAT. Thanks so much for reporting all these issues. Also, have you read this (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1376863-Closed-Beta-Report-a-Bug)thread?

Cheers,
Booma

No I haven't. To be quite honest, it took me a while to even find the proper place to send my feedback to. Knowing the proper format, I'll set some time aside to properly edit it to match I guess.

Freak1089
01-30-2016, 06:36 AM
"Looking for items? Too bad, here're some rats instead"/The Recon Pulse and the hassles of it....

Hey Ryan, not sure if you played the alpha but your description of the recon mod is how it worked.
You would ping the pulse, and it would highlight and leave it highlighted until you retrieved the item.
It wasnt working for me at all.

Ryan Cans
01-30-2016, 09:41 AM
Hey Ryan, not sure if you played the alpha but your description of the recon mod is how it worked.
You would ping the pulse, and it would highlight and leave it highlighted until you retrieved the item.
It wasnt working for me at all.

I did, but for a very brief moment. The problem is partly that while it does highlight objects, it does so very briefly.