PDA

View Full Version : U-Boat Smallarms

WTE_Sikshoota
09-01-2004, 08:46 PM
S` All

In rl, did the U-boats carry smallarms such as the Mauser Kar98K Rifle & or the Mp38 or 40 Machinenpistole etc? (For boarding parties, shore patrols etc).

Just curious!

Cheers http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Kapitan Sik
U-55 7th Flotille

"Oberflache das Boot!"

WTE_Sikshoota
09-01-2004, 08:46 PM
S` All

In rl, did the U-boats carry smallarms such as the Mauser Kar98K Rifle & or the Mp38 or 40 Machinenpistole etc? (For boarding parties, shore patrols etc).

Just curious!

Cheers http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Kapitan Sik
U-55 7th Flotille

"Oberflache das Boot!"

Boatfull
09-01-2004, 09:05 PM
In the movie Das boot(a very realistic depiction of
WWII submarines in action)the engineer (I think)
flips out and the captain grabs his Lugar(pistol) in order to shoot him if he doesn't calm down.

So Yes they did carry small arms.

theaircobra
09-01-2004, 09:13 PM
ive saw in u-571 that the crewmen had pisstols so if enemys came abord they could shoot them.

macker33
09-01-2004, 09:55 PM
they probably had a few pistols and maybe a couple of submachine guns under lock and key,

part of every submariners basic training,irrespective of what field he was going into was the use of inventry weapons,they had to learn to be infantry men before they could train to be a submariner,they even had a grey uniform much the same as the standerd infantry uniform,square helmet and all.

i
llā¬ r
/========ll======> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

SailorSteve
09-01-2004, 10:22 PM
When the DE USS Buckley rammed U-66 on May 6, 1944, the report says the u-boatmen opened fire with "small arms and rifles".

The poster said "Join The Navy, See The World". So I did, and I'm here to tell you, the world is flat and blue.

bausbis23
09-02-2004, 09:57 AM
if you watched das boot a lot you can see some crew members cary a mp-40 when the captain talks to his crew on the deck of the u-boat when still inside the pen . when he orders them to there stations you can see someone with a mp-40 over his sholder.

Egan2.0
09-02-2004, 12:17 PM
MP-40s Were used for small arms as were pistols. I don't know about rifles though. Aside from boarding parties etc, I seem to recall that Lookouts ( A couple of them at least)were armed until the boat was underway and then all weapons were stowed. Does anyone else know?

U1409
09-02-2004, 03:07 PM
I have nothing substantial on the topic, but I seem to recall that small arms were introduced pretty early on in the war. According to the early rules on submarine warfare, a submarine had to board and search enemy ships before sinking them. There was a reasonable fear that someone should try taking advantage of the subs vulnerable position while it was alongside the vessel, and therefore the bridge crew was always armed during these encounters.
I suppose the weapons stayed on board even after these rules were revised.

Anyway, that is what I seem to remember reading somewhere. No guarantees, though http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

TASKFORCE1x1
09-05-2004, 09:31 AM
They do have grenades and scuttle charges. SOme of the books Ive read mentioned this. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Keep on Smiling'

IXD2
09-05-2004, 10:14 AM
Can`t remember well but I`ve found out that in fact there was a specified amount of smallarms for every U-Boat due to the regulations of the Kriegsmarine. As I remember, on every U-Boat there must have been an MP-40, in addition to that the Captain had a Luger. Some Boats carried more weaponry, almost certainly the IX C, IX D -2 Boats had significant amont of smallarms just in case it was needed whren boarding a ship.
XXIII Boats were ordered to carry an MP - 40 with 120 rounds and it was the smallest loadout of the smallarms in the UBootwaffe.

SailorSteve
09-05-2004, 12:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Egan2.0:
MP-40s Were used for small arms as were pistols. I don't know about rifles though.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You're probably right. Reports from people on the recieving end are not to be completely trusted, and the MP-40 makes a lot more sense than a rifle. On my own destroyer in 1970 there were Thompson SMGs and .45 pistols, but no rifles that I remember. Also, a rifle is kind of long to be storing in a u-boat.

The poster said "Join The Navy, See The World". So I did, and I'm here to tell you, the world is flat and blue.