PDA

View Full Version : "Ezio's Family" is now the Assassin's Creed theme?

dimbismp
01-27-2016, 03:59 PM
I have seen many people(outside of the forums mostly) referring to the famous "Ezio's family" track,as the "Assassin's Creed theme".

Thing is that this song is indeed loved by the fans,but actually Ubi themselves created remixes of it for ACRo,ACU(not sure about this one) and ACS.This way,they are kind of responsible for this new trend.

How do you feel about this?
Personally,i recall the Ezio games with great nostalgia,but i don't feel particularly pleased with this outcome.It shows that the new games live under the previous games' shadow and try to emulate them,instead of being a completely new thing.
Ofc one could say that i am overanalyzing and that this is just a tribute to the old games.

SixKeys
01-27-2016, 04:12 PM
This is an entirely calculated outcome. Ubisoft wants the brand to have certain recognizable elements, in as many different mediums as possible, and "Ezio's Family" is now one of them.

I don't really have a problem with it, TBH. I've always loved cover versions of songs and it's always interesting to hear how each game puts their own, period-inspired touch to that piece of music.

ze_topazio
01-27-2016, 04:18 PM
What's the problem? most series out there have a main theme, whether the "Ezio's family" theme is the best choice for main theme or not that's a different discussion.

Sorrosyss
01-27-2016, 04:43 PM
It's a beautiful piece of music. It has appeared in some fashion, sometimes as only a few notes, in pretty much every game - even the Chronicle ones. As a franchise theme, it's entirely appropriate.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear it in the upcoming movie trailer either. Regardless of our individual opinions, AC2 still has the nostalgic effect of highlighting the series at its best. I can't really argue with its choice honestly.

VestigialLlama4
01-27-2016, 05:11 PM
Thing is that this song is indeed loved by the fans,but actually Ubi themselves created remixes of it for ACRo,ACU(not sure about this one) and ACS.This way,they are kind of responsible for this new trend.

Yep, and they did it by making entirely sh--ty games. So congrats ubisoft!!! I personally think the composers for Unity and Syndicate would be miffed since they created unique music for the games and ubisoft is still sweet on AC2's score.

How do you feel about this?

What can I say I actually didn't mind the AC1--Black Flag approach where different games/settings/characters have their own special music and theme, but that is just me. I think this should be the Series Theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRgNKIdDVxk

I always liked AC for the fact that there was no one music or chord that tied to it.

That's one reason I like the music for AC3, it is too specific to the character and plot to serve as a general franchise theme.

VestigialLlama4
01-27-2016, 05:12 PM
What's the problem? most series out there have a main theme, whether the "Ezio's family" theme is the best choice for main theme or not that's a different discussion.

Just that it's a recent thing that only began with UNITY-ROGUE-CHRONICLES CHINA-SYNDICATE where the music plays at different points of the opening. That's the last two years.

ze_topazio
01-27-2016, 05:44 PM
It's not the first time a series adopts a main theme or at least a recurring music after several entries.

m4r-k7
01-27-2016, 05:54 PM
I don't see a problem personally. They have tons and tons of games now and the series needs some consistency so I think having a main theme for the series is pretty important, rather than having over 10 different main theme tunes. Its a great theme as well.

Each one of the newer games (post Rogue) are slight variations of Ezios Family anyway so thats a nice touch.

In response to OP saying that they are living under the Ezio trilogies shadow, they are not. If they were they would be much better games - I mean so much of what made the Ezio trilogy great is missing from the newer games.

nukelukespuke34
01-27-2016, 07:20 PM
I just saw a video of Far Cry Primal and at one point there was an Assassin's Creed reference where someone does a leap of faith. And guess what music was playing? EZIO'S FAMILY. GAARRRRGH. I agree with the OP. It's totally lame, and here's why.

Ezio's Family has a very sad, tragic quality to it. It Works for Ezio's story, but for the series as a whole? No. Just no. While yes, each game has sad elements to it, not all the games can be described as tragic. Rogue isn't really tragic, Shay made his choice to work for the Templars. Unity is sort of tragic, because Elise died, but still that doesn't compare to Ezio's loss of his dad, two brothers, and mom who lived the remainder of her life in perpetual shock. And it's what set him on his path to becoming an assassin for life, whereas Arno became an assassin to help his girlfriend get revenge. Haven't played Syndicate yet, but from what I've heard, that game is a straight up comedy. So no, Ezio's Family only really works for Ezio. His story is tragic, but the series as a whole really isn't.

Secondly and more importantly, like the OP said, by reusing the song in each new game, it keeps these games under AC2's shadow. Every time a player boots up a new Assassin's Creed game and they hear Ezio's Family, they'll immediately think of AC2's greatness. You cant' help it, it's going to happen. That'll inevitably invite comparisons between AC2 and the new game, which due to nostalgia, will have a really hard time competing with, no matter how good it is. Every time I played Rogue and Unity and a little of China Chronicles and I hear Ezio's Family, I thought, "not this again..." I'm sure it'll be the same for most people.

Personally, I think they should let each game be it's own thing. Let each game have it's own unique, memorable score. It worked for Black Flag, which is widely considered to be the best game since Ezio's trilogy. And it had it's own score too, which was pretty damn great. British Empire anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l1U8oTZ7UA

^ That song was so good Rogue reused it too (Gee, that game is just rehashing music left and right ain't it?) If Ubisoft really needs to have a recognizable theme for the entire brand, they should make something that can encompass and represent the series as a whole. Just my two cents.

Farlander1991
01-27-2016, 09:18 PM
Theming/motifing can be a very strong tool (for example, the LotR and Hobbit movies music uses it to great success), however AC is very inconsistent in this regard, mainly because it started with no themes at all.

People like to try and define what is AC1's theme, but music there is location and action-based. So it's based on where you are and what you do (mission, incognito stealth, combat, escape, horse riding, etc.) with the only common tune being Access the Animus after each assassination, so that's as close to a theme as we can get to in AC1.

AC2 introduces Ezio's theme which became one of the most beloved video game music tracks, but what's ironic is that it's barely used in the game at all. A snippet of Earth is used when Ezio gets the robes, a snippet of Ezio's family is used in the title screen, and the only other instances of the theme that we hear is a very far variation in form of Venice Rooftops in races. But the theme of Venice is used more often in more important parts of Ezio's life than Ezio's Family.

Only in ACR theming starts getting used to some purpose, with, for example, Templars getting their own theme which Lorne reuses in ACIII and which Brian bases it off a bit for Templars in ACIV. Also, the first civ theme was introduced in ACR, was used in ACIII and at least in ACC:India as well. But even then it's all very inconsistent. For example, ACIII has a Kenway family theme, with Haytham and Connor having their own variations. There's no variation of that theme for Edward, while it could've been very poignant to bring that family together across games musically.

So I understand why Ubisoft wants to get a theme for the series, as now that it's not a trilogy but a swinging trans-media epic, there has to be at least some musical unification to it. Obviously each game would have a different score and feel because of different time period and characters, but there's things that always stay the same. My guess is that Ezio's family was selected not just because it became iconic, but because hints of it can be seen in ACR and ACIII themes as well, so sound-wise it was already more wide-spread in a way than just AC2/ACB.

SixKeys
01-27-2016, 09:22 PM
I disagree about "Ezio Family" being tragic. It has some melancholy undertones, but in my mind it evokes a sense of grandeur and even joy. I associate it mainly with races and climbing viewpoints with the exhilarating feeling that always accompanies climbing in AC. It's all about the presentation. It can be tragic if played like that, like how Syndicate's "Family" track does, but it can also be exciting and filled with adrenaline as in "Earth" or "Venice Rooftops".

SixKeys
01-27-2016, 09:27 PM
AC2 introduces Ezio's theme which became one of the most beloved video game music tracks, but what's ironic is that it's barely used in the game at all. A snippet of Earth is used when Ezio gets the robes, a snippet of Ezio's family is used in the title screen, and the only other instances of the theme that we hear is a very far variation in form of Venice Rooftops in races. But the theme of Venice is used more often in more important parts of Ezio's life than Ezio's Family.

Not true. There are echoes of the theme in many other tracks, like "Darkness Falls in Florence", the music that plays during freeroam in Forlí (I forget the title) and "Dream of Venice". More subtle than "Earth" or "Venice Rooftops", but still woven into the soundtrack throughout the game.

BATISTABUS
01-27-2016, 09:28 PM
I like the song, I don't mind the idea of the franchise having a theme, and I can't think of a more recognizable song that currently exists....but I don't like this trend personally. I associate that song with AC2 and AC2 only; hearing it in other games just feels wrong. That melody with its variations is just so tied to the mood of that game. In the cases mentioned above, I feel like the Ezio's Family bit takes away from the new music. Don't get me wrong, I like mashups, but these songs can definitely stand alone.

cawatrooper9
01-27-2016, 09:45 PM
I wouldn't want Ezio's Family to be the theme of Assassins Creed in its original form, but I like the idea of it being a musical theme that each game kind of riffs off of with their own variations.

That being said, I wish that ACB-ACIV had included some sort of illusion to it musically, too (there might be some in ACB, and maybe in ACR). The way it is, introducing it so late, makes it seem more like a desperate throwback to the Ezio days, rather than an artistic decision.

SixKeys
01-27-2016, 09:56 PM
I wouldn't want Ezio's Family to be the theme of Assassins Creed in its original form, but I like the idea of it being a musical theme that each game kind of riffs off of with their own variations.

That being said, I wish that ACB-ACIV had included some sort of illusion to it musically, too (there might be some in ACB, and maybe in ACR). The way it is, introducing it so late, makes it seem more like a desperate throwback to the Ezio days, rather than an artistic decision.

ACB recycled much of AC2's music, so it's definitely in there. Not sure about ACR, but most likely.

I agree about the timing. I think for a while they wanted to make a clean break from the Jesper Kyd style of music, just to prove he didn't have to be synonymous with AC, but none of the other soundtracks have ever been quite so fondly received. So eventually they just gave in and officially recognized that Kyd's work has been the most iconic.

nukelukespuke34
01-27-2016, 10:16 PM
Right, and it's only going to remind people of AC2. I still advocate making a unique soundtrack for each new entry in the series, it'll give it a chance to separate it from the rest. And who knows, they may eventually top Ezio's Family. But that's never going to happen if they insist on sticking it in every game.

Also, as Batistibus said, the song is just too connected with Ezio and Renaissance Italy. It feels wrong with any other game.

Senningiri_GR
01-27-2016, 10:36 PM
I just saw a video of Far Cry Primal and at one point there was an Assassin's Creed reference where someone does a leap of faith. And guess what music was playing? EZIO'S FAMILY. GAARRRRGH. I agree with the OP. It's totally lame, and here's why.

Ezio's Family has a very sad, tragic quality to it. It Works for Ezio's story, but for the series as a whole? No. Just no. While yes, each game has sad elements to it, not all the games can be described as tragic. Rogue isn't really tragic, Shay made his choice to work for the Templars. Unity is sort of tragic, because Elise died, but still that doesn't compare to Ezio's loss of his dad, two brothers, and mom who lived the remainder of her life in perpetual shock. And it's what set him on his path to becoming an assassin for life, whereas Arno became an assassin to help his girlfriend get revenge. Haven't played Syndicate yet, but from what I've heard, that game is a straight up comedy. So no, Ezio's Family only really works for Ezio. His story is tragic, but the series as a whole really isn't.

Secondly and more importantly, like the OP said, by reusing the song in each new game, it keeps these games under AC2's shadow. Every time a player boots up a new Assassin's Creed game and they hear Ezio's Family, they'll immediately think of AC2's greatness. You cant' help it, it's going to happen. That'll inevitably invite comparisons between AC2 and the new game, which due to nostalgia, will have a really hard time competing with, no matter how good it is. Every time I played Rogue and Unity and a little of China Chronicles and I hear Ezio's Family, I thought, "not this again..." I'm sure it'll be the same for most people.

Personally, I think they should let each game be it's own thing. Let each game have it's own unique, memorable score. It worked for Black Flag, which is widely considered to be the best game since Ezio's trilogy. And it had it's own score too, which was pretty damn great. British Empire anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l1U8oTZ7UA

^ That song was so good Rogue reused it too (Gee, that game is just rehashing music left and right ain't it?) If Ubisoft really needs to have a recognizable theme for the entire brand, they should make something that can encompass and represent the series as a whole. Just my two cents.

Also Assassin's Creed Unity has this music, called "Welcome to the Brotherhood", which I must say could have been the game's main theme if it was longer (and ACUnity's theme is really good, but it is too much and is also in the Helix menu). Also the closing is Ezio's Family:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiqtcTOIMCo&list=PLu6_FOgZp3ejfdaSOk6K5HBsA_w73rbjh&index=8

Assassin_M
01-28-2016, 01:17 AM
but none of the other soundtracks have ever been quite so fondly received. So eventually they just gave in and officially recognized that Kyd's work has been the most iconic.

Wow.....I just had a realization....

but none of the protagonists have ever been quite so fondly received. So eventually they just gave in and officially recognized that Ezio has been the most iconic.......

....and brought him back :|

PedroAntonio2
01-28-2016, 01:26 AM
If they want to '' bring back the feels from the original games when they were great'', they should start producing a proper storyline instead of just recycling the soundtrack. Ezio's Family is iconic, but how can we relate to the other main characters if we are playing Ezio's theme ? Connor and Edward had their main themes and both were epic, at least in my opinion. It's annoying because I hear the main themes from each theme to remind me of all those great moments that happened here and there. How can I do that with Rogue, Unity and Syndicate if they just put Ezio's Family in everything ?

I would prefer if they played the theme in a subtle way, like a piece of the track. But in the main menu ? No.

SixKeys
01-28-2016, 02:52 AM

http://i65.tinypic.com/es6cjo.jpg

HDinHB
01-28-2016, 03:26 AM
It will be interesting to see how and how much is used in the movie and movie trailers.

I knew you'd finally see the light!

Mr.Black24
01-28-2016, 03:42 AM
Not true. There are echoes of the theme in many other tracks, like "Darkness Falls in Florence", the music that plays during freeroam in Forlí (I forget the title) and "Dream of Venice". More subtle than "Earth" or "Venice Rooftops", but still woven into the soundtrack throughout the game.

I still say Earth was the best, it had that "I'm going for my desteny" kind of vib. Something that was closely achieved with Rogue.

VestigialLlama4
01-28-2016, 04:09 AM
If Ubisoft wants a general musical theme for the series, instead of using AC2, what they should do is make a new unified theme that ties all the games they did together.

Also I have to say, if the AC2 theme shows in the movies I will be pretty disappointed. But then I am quite sure it will.

AdrianJacek
01-28-2016, 05:25 AM
To be frank, I'm annoyed. And I have one, primary reason for that. ACR, AC3, ACL and AC4 exist.
Revelations came out with a brand new theme and it was awesome.
III came out with a brand new theme and it was awesome.
Liberation came out with a brand new theme and it was awesome.
IV Black Flag came out with a brand new theme and it was awesome..
[at least in my opinion they were all fantastic pieces]

So, to me, reusing Ezio's Family feels just lazy. And I understand why they do it (blind nostalgia I'm not a part of...) but objectively it makes no bloody sense. Shouldn't the first game's theme be what the series reuses over and over again? You know, like the Zelda theme? And Access the Animus COULD work for other games besides AC1 since it sounds pretty hi-tech. Just take out the flute, remix it a bit and voila.

And no, personally I believe AC doesn't need a main theme to unify everything. Not after first 6 years where every game (besides ACB which was ACII-2 anyways...) had its own unique theme.

Farlander1991
01-28-2016, 09:21 AM

Yeah, that's true. Still, AC2 is a poor example of using theming. I don't want to say that Ezio's theme should've been used in every cutscene, but apart from those two scenes in the beginnings, Ezio's most important moments in narrative are accompanied by unrelated themes.