PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed, Desmond is still alive?

adrianbelew
01-23-2016, 07:25 PM
Ok so I'm just gonna say that this thread is mostly about a few weird details about AC Unity when replaying the memories, but the most serious aspect of it is the theory that Desmond was put into a coma after the events of Assassin's creed 1 and every game afterwards happens within Desmonds subconscious within the animus, INCLUDING the modern day events.

Ok, so this playthrough has some major plot secrets in it. After the first memory in sequence one, you can wear assassins outfits despite the fact that the customization menu has not been unlocked for the memory being played, and Arno hasn't gained assassin robes yet. So sequence1 memory 2 you're suppose to wear Altait's outfit (I used the Thomas outfit as a substitute), sequence 1 memory 3, Ezio's robes. next memory Connor, next memory Edward, next memory Shay.
What's the meaning of this? Well If you pay attention to the story, the story in each memory seems to adapt to the outfit worn, most notably during the Connor/Edward sequences. Connor's memory starts with him going into prison, and develops as Bellec tell you that your "father" fought for "Liberty". There's also a joke within the prison where one of the other prisoner is screaming that "they're killing everyone in here!" when in fact everyone is safe, but if you're replaying the memory, you can equip the pistol or phantom blades and kill the guards outside the prison cells. at the end of Connor's sequence you are on a rooftop drinking alcohol. Next sequence is Edward, this memory usually starts with you locating the assassin's guild and a lengthy cutscene where you meet the assassins council and proceed to have a psychedelic trip where you watch an assassin kill your father, then you proceed to chase the assassin and kill him. When replaying this memory, it starts directly with Arno (in this case, dressed as Edward) confused, and then proceeding the memory as usual, chasing down a assassin, and killing him, just like the beginning of Assassin's Creed 4, mind you. In the first memory it is also worth while to mention that the sword you obtain at the end of the game "The sword of Eden" can be used. The sword had powers similar to the Apples of Eden until Arno killed the templar who wielded it.

So what does this actually mean? Well what it actually means is that after the events of Assassin's Creed 1 Warren Vidic put Desmond in a coma to continue his genetic research without receiving interference from Desmond and the entire story of Lucy helping Desmond escape from Abstergo was fabricated to make Desmond more willing to co-operate with the genetic research while he is trapped in his subconscious. But somehow I imagine a lot of people reading this won't believe me and will continue to believe that Desmond actually did escape from Abstergo and he actually found a magical Apple that let him control peoples minds and used it to return to Abstergo and kill Warren Vidic before he found more Magical Brains uhh,,, I mean Apples that would help him take over the world. He then proceeded to die when I magical entity from Nowhere Appeared and told him a story about the past and future that didn't make any sense whatsoever and then Desmond died due to mysterious circumstances that were never explained.

According to my alternative universe, where you're still technically Desmond, now trapped in the Animus, during the course of Brotherhood/Revelations, Lucy managed to get Warren Vidic arrested after he induced the coma, and now there is a tech team working with Desmond within the Animus to try to help him wake up. This part of my theory is based off incredibly vague things such as these magically things called "Helix Rifts" that appear in Assassin's Creed Unity where you have to collect data in order to rescue a assassin who is "trapped" in Abstergos Animus Servers. Sounds erie right?

It's also worth-while to mention that Altair's era of Assassins is the only group of assassins that have a actual real life background and was fairly well grounded in reality until that little artifact that you recovered in the beginning of the game turned out to be a magical artifact that can control peoples minds at the end of the game and how when Desmond steps out of the Animus for the final time there is a bunch of mysterious markings everyone including the phrase "I stepped into the abyss and never came back" indicating that, oh I don't know, maybe Desmond was actually trapped in the animus after that final sequence and he was only dreaming that he got out.
Idk.
Unity Replay part 1: Stolen apple https://youtu.be/j2C9KQTOKcs
Unity Replay part 2: Altair's replacement https://youtu.be/NwEi6p2CFCM
Unity Replay part 3: I couldn't sneak through a sewer in these threads https://youtu.be/V7Qud4sUhhE
Unity Replay part 4: Connor's rebirth https://youtu.be/yjg4FW5t3gY
Unity Replay part 5: Connor's rebirth cont./Edward's Drunken stupor. https://youtu.be/PB2S_KI--Hw

Sorrosyss
01-23-2016, 09:15 PM
Interesting theory, but I think it's really reaching for the audience to buy the "it was all a dream" story trope. There are definitely some hints at alternate universes though. Ironically Unity provides your thread, but that in itself resolves things as the events of Unity are portrayed through a Helix Entertainment system, and not an Animus.

Sesheenku
01-24-2016, 07:58 AM
Heh, sounds like something I would have made up back in the day when I hated the idea of all these magical beings and artifacts.

I doubt it though man, although it would convenient for them to use it to backtrack and retcon everything.

adrianbelew
01-24-2016, 01:25 PM
should also be noted that if you continue this pattern you assassinate a hooded dude as Shay, a Templar, aka the dude who kills hooded dudes. but whatvr.

Black_Widow9
01-24-2016, 08:54 PM
Hello and welcome to the Forums, :)

Have you played Black Flag? How do the Subject 17 files fit into this?

adrianbelew
12-03-2016, 10:00 AM
y r u in first person in ac4 modern day time??? the world may never know

Sigma 1313
12-03-2016, 03:29 PM
Well, Desmond is alive in the grey, as is Clay. However I think your idea is a really lazy way to retcon everything that happened. Then again, I can't think of a way to retcon series lore without being lazy. I'd also suggest mentioning the game that you're replaying, since there are 9 main games in the series with multiple spinoffs.

RinoTheBouncer
12-03-2016, 03:50 PM
It's a very interesting theory indeed. The thing is, there could've been much better alternatives which they did not go for, so I'm not sure they go for this. I mean it would've been a trillion times better if at the end of ACIII, we find out that Desmond's story was itself being viewed in an Animus, by someone in the year 3000 or something. That would've been epic and opened so many doors for great stories set across time, past, present and future. They sadly did not go for that because they wanted to refrain from anything that could be translated as "this was all a dream".

So I don't know. It feels to me that they wanted to get rid of Desmond so they can just not develop any more modern day worlds, missions and detailed stories in present day and only give self-contained stories in the past with the modern day being nothing more than an excuse to push the story forward. Something I totally do not like. So I feel like for them to go back now and pretend that none of this ever happened would be harder for the less dedicated fans to swallow. Perhaps it would be much easier to push forward with a prequel during Subject 16s times or Desmond when he was still alive, or even better, start off with a new protagonist written specifically for the games, be it Desmond's son or someone totally new or even resorting to bringing characters from the comics to play the role of the modern day protagonist.

adrianbelew
12-03-2016, 09:45 PM
agreed. I think they are building up to a massive modern day ac or a watch dogs tie in. or at least they should. (see comment in modern day protagonist thread)

MasterAssasin84
12-18-2016, 12:22 AM
Interesting theory ? kind sounds a bit like the tyranny of king Washington were Connor was re living his memories in an alternate reality . are you saying that everything we have witnessed so far in Assassins Creed is Desmond's thoughts taking on form due to him being in possession of a piece of eden ( The Apple ) ? Hmm I think you need to play Black Flag and hack the Abstergo files , as the answers you may be seeking to Desmonds destiny and the run up to his death will be there ( Besides him sacrificing himself in the grand temple to prevent the sun from incinerating the earth )

cawatrooper9
12-20-2016, 06:48 PM
y r u in first person in ac4 modern day time??? the world may never know

Yeah, I used to find that suspicious. I thought that we'd get a reveal eventually that floating tablet was actually Desmond. Unfortunately, doesn't seem to be the case, and the whole Abstergo Entertainment storyline looks to be abandoned anyway.

As for this theory- oh man, I really hate it. Sorry, and welcome to the forums (though, since you have 11 posts since August of 2015, I'm not sure you're even still around) but oh man I hope this isn't true. You lost me at the "this was all a dream" trope, and as interesting as the other stuff could end up being, I cannot justify retconning a decade of story development- even if that story development is only followed in the loosest sense of the word anyway now.