PDA

View Full Version : MSAA & FXAA / TXAA WTF seriously

kieronf84
01-21-2016, 06:53 AM
What is the go they add msaa a high quality type of anti aliasing then completely destroy it by adding in fxaa which is like the poor mans anti aliasing which results in every thing being a blurred ****ty looking mess wtf are you guys thinking can you break fxaa again so the game looks decent like in 1.2.

Also TXAA what is this crap honestly it makes the game look that blurred its terrible it takes out every little detail in a texture and blurs the crap out of it crappiest aa its as bad as fxaa but with a massive performance hit.

Honestly just cannot believe you murdered msaa like that seriously like seriously piss fxaa off all together its horrible ive resorted to using no aa as its the only way to preserve the detail in the textures.

FOX_1976_FOX
01-21-2016, 10:54 AM
What is the go they add msaa a high quality type of anti aliasing then completely destroy it by adding in fxaa which is like the poor mans anti aliasing which results in every thing being a blurred ****ty looking mess wtf are you guys thinking can you break fxaa again so the game looks decent like in 1.2.

Also TXAA what is this crap honestly it makes the game look that blurred its terrible it takes out every little detail in a texture and blurs the crap out of it crappiest aa its as bad as fxaa but with a massive performance hit.

Honestly just cannot believe you murdered msaa like that seriously like seriously piss fxaa off all together its horrible ive resorted to using no aa as its the only way to preserve the detail in the textures.

Exactly my opinion.. could not agree more with you. Very bad choice of mixing MSAA with FXAA.. never before was MSAA mixed with FXAA in an AC Game. BUT Ubisoft is great in inventing new "stupid ideas" like mixing MSAA with FXAA.

MataD89
01-21-2016, 02:17 PM
Agreed... At least, they could tell us something about this. Saying they are aware of the issue and are working on it would be enough.
Few weeks ago when I submitted a ticket to Ubisoft support and told them about the problem, I was asked to be more specific and to send them comparison photos of the AA options...
How can I be more specific? Just start the game and switch between the AA options and you will see the difference. Well, there isn't any difference... Except the FPS drop if you go for higher setting.
For some people this isn't a problem, but for some it is.

MrWD12
01-21-2016, 04:47 PM
I've had trouble with the AA since updating from 1.2. All options look dreadful or are either too taxing on my 780Ti with little to no difference. Trees are always flickering now and it drives me crazy!

DarkWolf29
01-21-2016, 09:16 PM
I agree, I can't understand what they were thinking forcing FXAA with every option. If they want to add those as extra options sure, but give us standalone MSAA settings. Unity had a full suite of AA settings, so why this step backwards? I cannot stand the blurred image quality FXAA gives, like your eyes are constantly out of focus. I have to use one of those injector things to add SMAA so I at least have a little AA without blurring but it's a poor substitute and messes with text a little.

DW

TaylorBlakeH
01-21-2016, 10:09 PM
I agree, I can't understand what they were thinking forcing FXAA with every option. If they want to add those as extra options sure, but give us standalone MSAA settings. Unity had a full suite of AA settings, so why this step backwards? I cannot stand the blurred image quality FXAA gives, like your eyes are constantly out of focus. I have to use one of those injector things to add SMAA so I at least have a little AA without blurring but it's a poor substitute and messes with text a little.

DW

Unity had the same options as Syndiacte, aside from also allowing 8x which honestly, Syndicate could use more than Unity did, but the main difference is the separation of FXAA from the others. It should be like GTA V's AA options. Option for FXAA: on or off... Option for MSAA: on or of.... and if you have MSAA enabled, then an option for TXAA: ON OR OFF!!!

kieronf84
01-25-2016, 07:39 AM
Yeah its terrible I use no AA in the game which makes me sad as i know they have working msaa but ruined it by adding fxaa honestly i often wonder if they even look at the games they create these days.

Also that TXAA it needs to be buried and forgotten its honestly the worse type of aa i think i've ever seen who would want to use it ??

Thing that gets me is nvidia had a awesome idea msaa / mfaa was brilliant i thought omg i can finally use a decent amount of msaa and still get high fps because lets face it these days the only thing thats really slowing our video cards down is hefty aa ( If you own a decent video card ) i also thought radeon dont know if they did or not but would come up with something similar and this **** would take off and be implemented into all future games providing a better and cheaper gaming experience to pc consumers but nope developers either seem to add no real AA support to the game because they can't be arsed like Arkham Knight or they break the AA by doing stupidly ******ed things like adding vaseline to msaa.

Also nvidia ubisoft txaa sucks get rid of it dump it out in the furthest part of the ocean and never speak of it again.

TaylorBlakeH
01-25-2016, 03:15 PM
Yeah its terrible I use no AA in the game which makes me sad as i know they have working msaa but ruined it by adding fxaa honestly i often wonder if they even look at the games they create these days.

Also that TXAA it needs to be buried and forgotten its honestly the worse type of aa i think i've ever seen who would want to use it ??

Thing that gets me is nvidia had a awesome idea msaa / mfaa was brilliant i thought omg i can finally use a decent amount of msaa and still get high fps because lets face it these days the only thing thats really slowing our video cards down is hefty aa ( If you own a decent video card ) i also thought radeon dont know if they did or not but would come up with something similar and this **** would take off and be implemented into all future games providing a better and cheaper gaming experience to pc consumers but nope developers either seem to add no real AA support to the game because they can't be arsed like Arkham Knight or they break the AA by doing stupidly ******ed things like adding vaseline to msaa.

Also nvidia ubisoft txaa sucks get rid of it dump it out in the furthest part of the ocean and never speak of it again.

I understand the negatives of TXAA and acknowledge the blur that usually irritates me, but for a game like this that is very cinematic and rich in motion (moving carriages, people, horses) and HORRIBLE aliasing, TXAA really makes a lot of sense. It does a great job removing the shimmering seen when you're moving that even MSAA 4x doesn't get rid of even at TXAA 2x. I don't use it in any other games for the same reason you don't but this title I think it's appropriate in. It should always be an option in games I think. But what REALLY needs to happen is more development on SMAA Tx2, that is, temporal SMAA. It will remove motion triggered aliasing like TXAA without the blur, and will continue to eradicate jagged edges like SMAA normally does with minimal performance cost.

DarkWolf29
01-26-2016, 02:54 AM
I quite like the SMAA setting in Far Cry 4. Looks nice and performs nice, wish they had it in Syndicate.

DW

MataD89
01-26-2016, 12:54 PM
A new patch or a fix would be nice... I haven't play the game since the last patch.
I tried few times, but the blurry image gets really annoying.

Jessigirl2013
01-27-2016, 04:29 PM
Call me a peasant, but I thought Syndicate looked rather beautiful.:rolleyes:

Could you post pictures to state what you mean?

TaylorBlakeH
01-27-2016, 04:50 PM
I quite like the SMAA setting in Far Cry 4. Looks nice and performs nice, wish they had it in Syndicate.

DW

SMAA is a near perfect and heavily underused AA method; I liked it in Far Cry as well, except I can't use it because it doesn't work in SLI. The option disappears. I wish that it would become standard. You can inject SMAA using Reshade if you like, it works "ok", but it SMAA needs to be antively implemented by the devs for it to really shine. It's still worth a try though. it's better than FXAA in-game and it doesn't blur in the slightest. Let me know if you have questions on how to use it.

R.L.R57
01-27-2016, 07:59 PM
Having problems with this myself, it's crazy!

They should just separate FXAA from MSAA

DarkWolf29
01-28-2016, 07:35 AM
You can inject SMAA using Reshade if you like, it works "ok", but it SMAA needs to be antively implemented by the devs for it to really shine. It's still worth a try though. it's better than FXAA in-game and it doesn't blur in the slightest. Let me know if you have questions on how to use it.

That's precisely what I'm using. Injecting SMAA is better than the blurry in-game options but has a negative impact on text which kinda sucks. I use the hotkey to disable and enable SMAA when reading database entries.

DW

TaylorBlakeH
01-28-2016, 03:56 PM
That's precisely what I'm using. Injecting SMAA is better than the blurry in-game options but has a negative impact on text which kinda sucks. I use the hotkey to disable and enable SMAA when reading database entries.

DW

Yeah that's the only frustration. Surprisingly SMAA is worse on text than FXAA (also pushed through Reshade). Obviously the in-game FXAA was developed and tweaked so that it ignored menu sections and text. Using an aftermarket solution like this can't distinguish text from textures though unfortunately.

And there's still so much temporal aliasing in this game.... It drives me nuts. I've been using TXAA because of how much it helps the shimmering for me with MFAA on to get me 4x quality with 2x performance, combined with SMAA to grab the left-over stuff.

DarkWolf29
01-28-2016, 10:29 PM
Yeah, like you say SMAA really needs official implementation to work right like in FC4. Unfortunately I think we'd be very lucky for them to change something of this nature after release. Or seperate FXAA from the other options for that matter.

DW

TaylorBlakeH
01-28-2016, 10:56 PM
Yeah, like you say SMAA really needs official implementation to work right like in FC4. Unfortunately I think we'd be very lucky for them to change something of this nature after release. Or seperate FXAA from the other options for that matter.

DW

Well the ****ty part is, they didn't combine FXAA with TXAA from the start. It was after an update they combined FXAA with TXAA as well; probably by mistake. I just wish they'd undo it. Adding FXAA with the already blurry TXAA filter is stupid

DarkWolf29
01-31-2016, 10:21 PM
Well the ****ty part is, they didn't combine FXAA with TXAA from the start. It was after an update they combined FXAA with TXAA as well; probably by mistake. I just wish they'd undo it. Adding FXAA with the already blurry TXAA filter is stupid

Did they do the same thing with MSAA? Was it not combined with FXAA right from the start? I came a little late to the game myself.

DW

TaylorBlakeH
02-01-2016, 02:40 PM
Did they do the same thing with MSAA? Was it not combined with FXAA right from the start? I came a little late to the game myself.

DW

FXAA and MSAA always appeared to be combined in the settings since the game's release; but TXAA only included FXAA (at least visibly in the options menu) after an update; I think it was 1.21