PDA

View Full Version : Should I get Syndicate?

king-hailz
01-16-2016, 11:49 AM
I specifically chose to skip ACS this year because it didn't appeal to me and the average reviews kept me from buying it. However right now it is less than half it's original price, probably because of the bad sales, and I want to get it because I have no other game that I can play, where I usually play an AC game at this time of year. I still think it has a terrible story and the game play is nothing special but I can't think of another game that came out somewhat recently that I could play.

So the real question is What game should I get other than ACS that'll satisfy me from not playing the latest AC?

Fatal-Feit
01-16-2016, 12:32 PM
1. Undertale 2. Pony Island 3. Splatoon

My GOTYs.

VoldR
01-16-2016, 12:53 PM
I got mine on Boxing Day. $57 for the Charring Cross edition, with figure and all... Standard ed. price:)

Depending on what u look for in a AC game, not sure if it has much replayability. Missions and gameplay is nice, but I think for one round play only. Unless u got different ideas on how to play it.

Collectibles are simpler than Unity but a lot... of redundancies.

If ur interested in the story, could just watch videos, or a good sale.

As for other games, only game im looking forward to are yet to be released.

I am however addicted to this game enough I haven't finish Fallout 4 or Starcraft, lol

Megas_Doux
01-16-2016, 03:56 PM
ACS is for me, on its PC version at least, a polished version Unity. Except with worse combat -I liked Unity´s combat- and a better mission design. London is a great city and the story is even more "mehish".

There you have it....

Rioz22222
01-16-2016, 08:54 PM
honestly go buy unity syndicate has a none-sense ending and almost no story it just nails ziplines graphics are worse tho and game is not that good it's like average but if you have already bought Unity i'd suggest you try Rainbowsix siege if you want something new it's a nice game with amazing graphics and awesome multiplayer part if you like something more stealth try Metal gear solid V ( it was a great game 10/10 rating ) and if you like sword game( open world like assassin's ) try that amazing WITCHER 3 ( best game ever made in history )

itsamea-mario
01-16-2016, 09:10 PM
I actually am enjoying Syndicate, so i give it a yes.

HDinHB
01-16-2016, 10:53 PM
I don't agree with you, but you say the story is terrible and gameplay is meh, so I don't know why you're asking us if you should buy it. It's like telling us you hate brussels sprouts and then asking us if you should buy some because they are on sale.

Playstation Store is having a sale this weekend, why don't you pick up a game you've missed that you might actually enjoy?

Besides, if there really is no 2016 AC game, you'll be even hungrier for an AC game next year and Syndicate will be even cheaper.

Fatal-Feit
01-16-2016, 11:02 PM
Sothe real question isWhat game should I get other than ACS that'll satisfy me from not playing the latest AC?

Guys.

cjdavies
01-17-2016, 02:26 PM
Yes get it, I am on on the lastmemory of sequence 4 and just messing around with some side missions and loving it, also I enjoy the improvements:

* Pressing X to sneak once without having to hold L2.
* Automatic cover, (which confused me at first as I'm used to pressing X to go into cover, as I just fiinshed Unity and end up standing up).
* Whistling is back.
* No timer for Eagle vision, caught me out many times in Unity with those snipers.
* Location/Setting - being from Wales and it's close to home, reading the history and exploring is interesting and fun.
* Knife throwing distance is much better than the phantom blade from Unity.

Fatal-Feit
01-17-2016, 03:27 PM
Yes get it, I am on on the lastmemory of sequence 4 and just messing around with some side missions and loving it, also I enjoy the improvements:

I would recommend the game as well, although I wouldn't call some of those improvements. They're more like streamlined downgrades to me.

* Pressing X to sneak once without having to hold L2.

If you tap L2 in Unity, you won't have to hold it.

* Automatic cover, (which confused me at first as I'm used to pressing X to go into cover, as I just fiinshed Unity and end up standing up).

Honestly, soft snap isn't as good as it should have been. The feature is still really clunky and sometimes unreliable. They are better off keeping hard snap, as it's at least manual (you're certain you're hidden) and offers far more features and mechanics. I miss using high-profile cover kills to keep the pace going, switching between covers to lure targets, and using quick shots. Syndicate's cover mechanic feels bland and empty.

Although, I have to commend the crouch assassinations. That was an great add.

* Whistling is back.

Shout-out to this, though.

* No timer for Eagle vision, caught me out many times in Unity with those snipers.

Syndicate's EP is too OP and its instant infinite tagging is even moreso. Nevermind the annoying amount of UI on screen after tagging in Syndicate, I like that tagging was manual and limited in Unity.

* Knife throwing distance is much better than the phantom blade from Unity.

The Phantom Blade is still by far the best long range weapon in the franchise. It's balanced and it's rich with mechanics.

Not having an incredibly huge range distance is one of things that made it better. The throwing knife in Syndicate, other than allowing you to manually aim, is a really flat feature. The distance is unrealistic and it ultimately renders every other mechanic useless. You can climb up a high point and kill every target from that one point. Bam, done. It's tedious, broken, and kind of depressing being a follow up to the Phantom Blade.

The Phantom Blade makes you take advantage of all of its mechanics from quick shots to berserk blades and it forces you to navigate throughout the missions instead of sniping from one ledge all the time. It's the extension of the hidden blade I've always wanted. I really wish the throwing knife had more mechanics to it. The Phantom Blade allowed you to quick shot 360 degree while in cover, jumping, or running.

I mean, there's shooting barrels onto people in Syndicate, but that's not saying much, if at all.

MikeFNY
01-17-2016, 04:36 PM
Fatal-Feit is right, having gone back to Unity after completing Syndicate, the gap in difficulty between the two is huge, so much that in my book Syndicate will go down as "AC for babies".

I will not take back my "it's incredible fun" comment made in an earlier thread but it's easy, way too easy, annoyingly easy. I remember when at one stage I was at the top of a building, literally facing a sniper who was staring at me yet she didn't shoot, she gave me all the time in the world to aim and throw a knife. And the distance was relatively short.

In Unity I'm finding myself in a number of situations where a guard is yelling at me and I go, "Where the heck is he?", so big is the distance from where they can see you.

Same for the whistling feature, I loved it in Black Flag and Rogue, missed it in Unity and loved that it was brought back in Syndicate but it does make the game easier.

I will go back to Syndicate to complete perks and to maybe complete missions without whistling but I'm not sure that would make the game challenging enough. I'm also curious to understand if I'm exaggerating on the difficulty subject but if I'm to be honest, if you ask me to list all the missions I struggled to complete in stealth mode in Syndicate I will be find it extremely hard to come up with an answer.

Ask me the same about Unity and I'll probably say "90% of them".

cjdavies
01-17-2016, 05:44 PM
Fatal-Feit is right, having gone back to Unity after completing Syndicate, the gap in difficulty between the two is huge, so much that in my book Syndicate will go down as "AC for babies".

I will not take back my "it's incredible fun" comment made in an earlier thread but it's easy, way too easy, annoyingly easy. I remember when at one stage I was at the top of a building, literally facing a sniper who was staring at me yet she didn't shoot, she gave me all the time in the world to aim and throw a knife. And the distance was relatively short.

In Unity I'm finding myself in a number of situations where a guard is yelling at me and I go, "Where the heck is he?", so big is the distance from where they can see you.

Same for the whistling feature, I loved it in Black Flag and Rogue, missed it in Unity and loved that it was brought back in Syndicate but it does make the game easier.

I will go back to Syndicate to complete perks and to maybe complete missions without whistling but I'm not sure that would make the game challenging enough. I'm also curious to understand if I'm exaggerating on the difficulty subject but if I'm to be honest, if you ask me to list all the missions I struggled to complete in stealth mode in Syndicate I will be find it extremely hard to come up with an answer.

Ask me the same about Unity and I'll probably say "90% of them".

This time around I am not upgrading myself to the max early on like I did with Unity, I left it on all day collecting money and had the best weapon for easy combat. I must admit I have upgraded my health due to being shot at when I'm o the carriage.

VoldR
01-17-2016, 06:20 PM
This time around I am not upgrading myself to the max early on like I did with Unity, I left it on all day collecting money and had the best weapon for easy combat. I must admit I have upgraded my health due to being shot at when I'm o the carriage.
I never bothered with health or armor upg in any games.

A katana is all i need in Unity, or arno blade, didn't touch any other outfit or armor for stealth or defense.

Anything that boost extra life or smg i tend to ignore, but love the extra skills.

Also don't bother with eagle vision either. Even solve missions without it. Unless its too dark to see footprints or need it to finish the mission. Like Bellec, i found his destination by accident buf can't proceed without activating the vision.

I do like the phantom blade as someone pointed out. The knives feels off and don't like the idea to upg it to make insta kills with it. Least the PB can kill instantly without head shot at least when they're not aware of ur presence.

SofaJockey
01-17-2016, 07:59 PM
I think ACS was one of the better entries in the series,
and the reviews it has had backs that up.

But you do what you want...

Sesheenku
01-17-2016, 09:54 PM
Didn't care for Syndicate. Side activities were repetitive again and combat was terrible. Imo Unity was a good deal better after patches and what not.

Spend your money on anything else, take a look beyond the surface, there's a lot of great games waiting to be played from companies that can't crap out 9000 commercials to increase hype so high that disappointment is inevitable.

I don't know what you like and I'm willing to bet your taste is likely not in line with mine so I won't make recommendations.

Like I said before, just look beyond the surface, you'll find something great for sure.

cjdavies
01-19-2016, 10:47 PM

Well so much for that, I have not completed Sequence 4 yet and already a level 8 (maxed out stealth for Evie)so now it's too easy as I done "all the side missions" just finishing off Westminster and back to main story to finish off.

Think I will play it again, just main story and no upgrades to skills or gear.

VoldR
01-20-2016, 03:05 AM
Well so much for that, I have not completed Sequence 4 yet and already a level 8 (maxed out stealth for Evie)so now it's too easy as I done "all the side missions" just finishing off Westminster and back to main story to finish off.

Think I will play it again, just main story and no upgrades to skills or gear.

I got so many unspent skill points.
Only got new skills to get new abilities to do more stuff but i don't upg damage or armour or health. I do upg the one to have quicker takedowns when my combo reach a certain no. To avoid pointless long battles.

On dmg increase i do is the weapons i earn for free. I don't buy weapons or use special outfits

This is during my first playthrough with any games.

In Deus Ex: Human Revolution
I got the no kill and no upg achievements in my first try.

Wished AC got such achievement.

ShoryukenMan
01-20-2016, 11:37 PM
I 100% synched the game. The only thing I didn't bother to do is try to unlock all the perks. Over all, I'd say it was worth the $30 I payed for it. But, it's really only useful as a filler game. And I don't mean as in an "AC filler game" like Rogue was, but a game that you're just playing while waiting on the big games to come out. Something to kill time with. I didn't feel like it had any "soul" to it, though. Much better than Unity in my opinion, but not amazing.

Unity=Terrible
Syndicate=Forgettable, but not bad.

So, if you've got time to kill and can find the game for $30 or under, I'd say pick it up.

Rioz22222
01-20-2016, 11:47 PM
I 100% synched the game. The only thing I didn't bother to do is try to unlock all the perks. Over all, I'd say it was worth the $30 I payed for it. But, it's really only useful as a filler game. And I don't mean as in an "AC filler game" like Rogue was, but a game that you're just playing while waiting on the big games to come out. Something to kill time with. I didn't feel like it had any "soul" to it, though. Much better than Unity in my opinion, but not amazing.

Unity=Terrible
Syndicate=Forgettable, but not bad.

So, if you've got time to kill and can find the game for $30 or under, I'd say pick it up.

aside the unity terrible part I completely agree with you syndicate might not be the best but it worths as much as 30$ can be fun sometimes tho I'd also suggest you buy it OP
main story aside it had alot of activities and things to do let's not forget jack the ripper dlc + WW1 missions which were enjoyale

Namikaze_17
01-21-2016, 02:48 AM
Whatever floats your boat, but why consider in buying something you already seem to dislike?

Anyway, I'd say buy it if any other games don't appeal to you. It's actually a pretty good game when you take it for what it is and don't constantly expect perfection at every turn, or how it compares to past AC games. It had more good than bad in terms of reviews so it's definitely worth a shot!

Desmond20005
01-24-2016, 10:31 AM
It's fun, the story and the modern story were awesome you should definitely get Syndicate.

Jackdaw951
01-24-2016, 04:30 PM
Whatever floats your boat, but why consider in buying something you already seem to dislike?

Anyway, I'd say buy it if any other games don't appeal to you. It's actually a pretty good game when you take it for what it is and don't constantly expect perfection at every turn, or how it compares to past AC games. It had more good than bad in terms of reviews so it's definitely worth a shot!

This is the most sensible post in the thread. If you tend to like AC games, you will probably like Syndicate. If you tend to hate them, stay away.