PDA

View Full Version : So... Reddit has a problem about the AC forums...

SpiritOfNevaeh
01-14-2016, 02:59 AM
https://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/comments/40q5eu/been_to_the_assassins_creed_ubiforums_lately/

"Been to the Assassin's Creed Ubiforums lately...

And does anyone else think that that place is cancerous? They are all close minded, and are filled with overly sarcastic hypocrites that contradict themselves during conversations. They almost all seem to think that games should be made to make only THEMSELVES happy, and no one else other than their individual.
Sorry if wrong place, but I just wanted to share."

I just had to laugh at this. People can make so many judgments/assumptions when they're hiding behind a monitor.

To the mods, if this thread is considered inappropro, then I apologize for posting it, and remove at your earliest convenience.

Subject J80
01-14-2016, 03:13 AM
I agree with them. The negativity on the forums was the reason I left. I only check back every so often to see if it's lightened up but it hasn't, it's terrible. And I had been on these forums since near the start.

It can be so toxic around here.

SectionHades
01-14-2016, 03:21 AM
Reddit is full of people who spoil the games for fun. I wanted to upgrade my PC for syndicate and I asked a question regarding AA and I made the mistake of letting them know that I had not finished the game yet. As expected, a random person who had finished the game on console spoiled the ending out of nowhere. Still bought the game at full price though, nothing will keep me from AC.

Kaschra
01-14-2016, 03:26 AM
Well, unfortunately I have to agree with them :/
I used to love this place and it was always a lot of fun... but not anymore.
All the negativity and complaining here get on my nerves. It's the main reason why I barely visit this place anymore.

Fatal-Feit
01-14-2016, 03:27 AM
To be fair, this place have been really negative and it's become depressing to browse, so I've been using the sub. This place also has a lot more intelligible users, but the arrogance and condescending attitudes don't do it for me.

That said, ''cancerous'' and the many other names thrown here in that thread is wrong and uncalled for. However, there does seem to be a higher amount of people in the sub who disagree with OP and/or believe the sub to be just as bad.

HDinHB
01-14-2016, 03:45 AM
Sounds a lot like the internet. Some of what he says is true.

But this reply caught my eye:

There's this one ******* there who says AC II is not that great and that Ezio sucks as a character. What a moron.

^^^Borderline genius.

Yes, I know.

GoldenBoy9999
01-14-2016, 03:46 AM
This place was awesome, had great discussion until everything went downhill. I don't know exactly what it was, but I agree with them. I made a lot of good memories here, but I don't see how it could become more than just a shell of its former self.

SixKeys
01-14-2016, 03:47 AM
I don't 100% agree, but they're not wrong either. What people should keep in mind is that many fans have been around since 2006. Reddit is a relatively new platform with a lot of younger fans. I don't mean to sound like an old codger (get off my lawn!), it's just that those who have been here since the beginning have seen many promises made and broken. They've seen the series lose modern day almost completely when it used to be a big part of the games. They've seen enough advertisements and interviews to recognize when devs are most likely telling the truth vs. when they're spouting marketing catchphrases (seamlessness, anyone?). They've had almost every discussion imaginable a hundred times already. (Who's your favorite assassin?) They all have different reasons why they enjoy - or used to enjoy - the series, and inevitably when old elements get tossed aside in favor of innovation, they see it as the beginning of the end. If you believe the fans, AC has been "almost dead" for at least four years. :rolleyes:

I get fed up with the cynicism myself sometimes, even though I know I have been and still am a big perpetrator thereof. I try to rein myself in, but sometimes the temptation to be sarcastic and cynical is just too great. :p
This doesn't mean I hate the series or the devs - on the contrary. I love the series so much that I want to see it improve and the devs to be given enough time and resources to make the games they want to make, not just recycle old stuff year after year. I want marketing to become more honest so that we don't have to be so cynical about it all the time. I want Ubi to be more candid about the areas where they need improvement and not try to spin everything into a positive BS statement. If they didn't think to put more women in Unity, just come out and say it and tell fans you will take it into consideration in the future - don't make up some crap about women being too hard to animate. Support games properly for a decent amount of time instead of moving on and leaving problems unpatched two months after the game's release. Studios like Naughty Dog and CDPR have less cynical fans because the companies are more honest and committed to quality.

So yes, I fully admit we're a bunch of cynical b@stards over here, but it's only because we're so passionate about the games.

Mr.Black24
01-14-2016, 04:43 AM
This doesn't mean I hate the series or the devs - on the contrary. I love the series so much that I want to see it improve and the devs to be given enough time and resources to make the games they want to make, not just recycle old stuff year after year. I want marketing to become more honest so that we don't have to be so cynical about it all the time. I want Ubi to be more candid about the areas where they need improvement and not try to spin everything into a positive BS statement. If they didn't think to put more women in Unity, just come out and say it and tell fans you will take it into consideration in the future - don't make up some crap about women being too hard to animate. Support games properly for a decent amount of time instead of moving on and leaving problems unpatched two months after the game's release. Studios like Naughty Dog and CDPR have less cynical fans because the companies are more honest and committed to quality.

I want to hug you! This is me since day one right here.

So yes, I fully admit we're a bunch of cynical b@stards over here, but it's only because we're so passionate about the games.
I've been a cautious optimist really. Some call me in denial, like how I think Connor and co will come back, but I get the equivalent of a pat on the head, going "its ok" as I do crack from the lack of faith of their return from time to time. I mean its not wrong for me to ask for some decent closure on the four, like at least in a good written novel form, right?

Honestly you guys are a good bunch, plus all that tension has worn down since pre Syndicate.

Plus there are nasty stereotypes for AC Reddit AND AC Tumblr.
-Some folks see AC Reddit as a idiotic dorito covered bunch who just on knees for Ezio, hates MD, Japan loving, Connor hatin bunch.
-Some folks see AC Tumblr as an idiotic group of "Connor***s"
-We get the feel of cynical, elitist, nasty bastards.

Being a proud member of all three, its far from the "truth"

-We kind of agree on most things *such as MD needs to get better, lore needs to be patched* , hate is definitely not encouraged , and at least most of the time we can be civil about things, even on things we disagree on. Of course I admit, I had my raging moments, but I forgive and forget just as quick.

-AC Reddit is similar, but with more diverse opinions, and a tad bit more headbutting, not too bad really.

-AC Tumblr doesn't have a good flow of sharing opinions as we do here, based on the way the website is structured, but they too have their own intelligent conversations, theories, and topics. Not to mention that it is the side that allows the fandom to be creative, allowing folks to post artwork, gifs, videos, fanfiction, and cosplay.

I was even debating on finding ways to bridge the three together, as they have interesting things I think they can learn and share from one another, but that's the optimism talkin in me

To be fair, this place have been really negative and it's become depressing to browse, so I've been using the sub. This place also has a lot more intelligible users, but the arrogance and condescending attitudes don't do it for me.

If there is one thing that is true, is that it surprises me that no one is doing theories no more. It always get shot down negatively or ignored so quick. I had an interesting and civil conversation with Hans on the AC reddit about what is Shay as a character at the end of his game, either a fanatical or ruthless moderate Templar, and how will he do things in America from here, but we were just the only ones debating. No one is talking about how Desmond might come back do to what we learned in Unity. Or how now that William Miles is a grandpa and how will he react when he finds out about this new info.Or how that Abstergo is trying to bring back the FC. Or the fact that Juno is trying to grow power and an army I even wanted to do a strong character analysis on Arno, doing away all that crap about "some frenchman wanting some Templar booty", and doing reviews on the new AC Titian comics, seeing its interesting as well, but I feel like that would be a waste of my time, people just going "meh", about it.

crusader_prophet
01-14-2016, 04:59 AM
If we are cynical that means we are passionate and we care enough to not give into mediocrity, no one has time (at least most productive people) to lurk around online forums and be negative about something that they don't care about.

I want to hug you! This is me since day one right here.

There should be a button for that.

SpiritOfNevaeh
01-14-2016, 05:17 AM
I don't 100% agree, but they're not wrong either. What people should keep in mind is that many fans have been around since 2006. Reddit is a relatively new platform with a lot of younger fans. I don't mean to sound like an old codger (get off my lawn!), it's just that those who have been here since the beginning have seen many promises made and broken. They've seen the series lose modern day almost completely when it used to be a big part of the games. They've seen enough advertisements and interviews to recognize when devs are most likely telling the truth vs. when they're spouting marketing catchphrases (seamlessness, anyone?). They've had almost every discussion imaginable a hundred times already. (Who's your favorite assassin?) They all have different reasons why they enjoy - or used to enjoy - the series, and inevitably when old elements get tossed aside in favor of innovation, they see it as the beginning of the end. If you believe the fans, AC has been "almost dead" for at least four years. :rolleyes:

I get fed up with the cynicism myself sometimes, even though I know I have been and still am a big perpetrator thereof. I try to rein myself in, but sometimes the temptation to be sarcastic and cynical is just too great. :p

Pretty much sums up most of my response ;P

Fatal-Feit
01-14-2016, 05:37 AM
*snip*

Well, there IS the difference between being a bunch of cynics and being a bunch of cynical b@astards (which I personally wouldn't call us). It's one thing to be critical about something your passionate, and it's another thing to express it in a way that generally brings down the mood for everyone.

Generally speaking, I think a big problem for the forum, atm, is NOT that we're critical and cynical regarding the franchise, it's how we express ourselves. There's passive aggressiveness, moodiness, arrogance, etc. We've all learned to express our interests in very negative ways, and we've got ourselves locked into that format. I believe we need to try to deviate from that. The sub can be pretty broody sometimes, especially with negative threads, but its users often lightens up with jokes and stuff.

If there is one thing that is true, is that it surprises me that no one is doing theories no more. It always get shot down negatively or ignored so quick. I had an interesting and civil conversation with Hans on the AC reddit about what is Shay as a character at the end of his game, either a fanatical or ruthless moderate Templar, and how will he do things in America from here, but we were just the only ones debating. No one is talking about how Desmond might come back do to what we learned in Unity. Or how now that William Miles is a grandpa and how will he react when he finds out about this new info.Or how that Abstergo is trying to bring back the FC. Or the fact that Juno is trying to grow power and an army I even wanted to do a strong character analysis on Arno, doing away all that crap about "some frenchman wanting some Templar booty", and doing reviews on the new AC Titian comics, seeing its interesting as well, but I feel like that would be a waste of my time, people just going "meh", about it.

The sub tends to be very appreciative and responsive towards threads and posts with a lot of thought put into it. I've never had a ''meh'' response to anything that I poured my heart into there. You could post your thread on both sites like I do and see what happens. If it bombs on the forum, there's always the sub.

If we are cynical that means we are passionate and we care enough to not give into mediocrity, no one has time (at least most productive people) to lurk around online forums and be negative about something that they don't care about.

You have no idea. lol

SixKeys
01-14-2016, 05:51 AM
Well, there IS the difference between being a bunch of cynics and being a bunch of cynical b@astards (which I personally wouldn't call us). It's one thing to be critical about something your passionate, and it's another thing to express it in a way that generally brings down the mood for everyone.

Generally speaking, I think a big problem for the forum, atm, is NOT that we're critical and cynical regarding the franchise, it's how we express ourselves. There's passive aggressiveness, moodiness, arrogance, etc. We've all learned to express our interests in very negative ways, and we've got ourselves locked into that format. I believe we need to try to deviate from that. The sub can be pretty broody sometimes, especially with negative threads, but its users often lightens up with jokes and stuff.

True enough, I guess. I like constructive and honest criticism, but I don't want to bring people's spirits down, either. Hence why I don't participate in the speculation/theory threads anymore. All I have to say about speculation would come down to "why bother? MD is gone, there is no long-term plan" but not everyone sees it like that, so let others speculate if they like. I also try to be fair if I think someone is bashing the devs for no good reason. I even defended AC3's story just the other day. :p Just saying that I do think about the negativity here a lot and how I could adjust my own behavior. I believe Sushiglutton made a pledge to be less negative a long time ago and has done a good job of sticking to it. I respect him for that and think of him as a good example of a constructive forumer. He may not post a lot, but when he does, it's not just to complain, it's to present new ideas and encourage discussion.

cjdavies
01-14-2016, 06:38 AM
They almost all seem to think that games should be made to make only THEMSELVES happy, and no one else other than their individual.

I agree with this point, example being MP.

crusader_prophet
01-14-2016, 06:41 AM
Speaking of negativity, I will add some more since we are at it.

(Who's your favorite assassin?) They all have different reasons why they enjoy - or used to enjoy - the series, and inevitably when old elements get tossed aside in favor of innovation, they see it as the beginning of the end.

Hence I do not associate with any particular assassin. For me AC had always been an idea, a world filled with suspense, conspiracies and roller coaster of climaxes. Unfortunately we haven't seen much of that latter lately.

If you believe the fans, AC has been "almost dead" for at least four years. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately it has been an addiction to most people. And yeah it is quite astounding to see people enjoy mediocrity.

I love the series so much that I want to see it improve and the devs to be given enough time and resources to make the games they want to make, not just recycle old stuff year after year. I want marketing to become more honest so that we don't have to be so cynical about it all the time. I want Ubi to be more candid about the areas where they need improvement and not try to spin everything into a positive BS statement. If they didn't think to put more women in Unity, just come out and say it and tell fans you will take it into consideration in the future - don't make up some crap about women being too hard to animate. Support games properly for a decent amount of time instead of moving on and leaving problems unpatched two months after the game's release. Studios like Naughty Dog and CDPR have less cynical fans because the companies are more honest and committed to quality.

And BioWare. I recently watched The DaVinci Code. And throughout the entire movie all I could think of is what happened to Assassin's Creed games and their narrative? The thrill of an ancient conspiracy that has remained hidden to commoners for centuries and still exists in a very active manner - that is what drew me to the series. If any AC fan watches the movie and can feel the roller coaster of climaxes in it till the very end is what AC deserves in every game. I had felt that last time playing TLOU, Uncharted and BioShock series. The movie never falls flat in terms of suspense and keeps people begging for more revelations. Even a vast open world like Witcher 3 is able to maintain climaxes throughout its narrative interrupted with quests and random activities. The DaVinci Code reminded me of what AC series has been lacking since Revelations.

Oh well, I am done being negative...for now. where is that reddit individual now...i bet I didn't do much to refute his/her claims. Sigh!

Fatal-Feit
01-14-2016, 07:09 AM
5000 posts, yaaaaay! (ノ^_^)ノ

True enough, I guess. I like constructive and honest criticism, but I don't want to bring people's spirits down, either. Hence why I don't participate in the speculation/theory threads anymore. All I have to say about speculation would come down to "why bother? MD is gone, there is no long-term plan" but not everyone sees it like that, so let others speculate if they like. I also try to be fair if I think someone is bashing the devs for no good reason. I even defended AC3's story just the other day. :p Just saying that I do think about the negativity here a lot and how I could adjust my own behavior. I believe Sushiglutton made a pledge to be less negative a long time ago and has done a good job of sticking to it. I respect him for that and think of him as a good example of a constructive forumer. He may not post a lot, but when he does, it's not just to complain, it's to present new ideas and encourage discussion.

I haven't been around the forum recently to monitor any changes, but I'm very glad to know active users like yourself are taking the initiative. You're a big presence here with a lot of influence so it's great. Really, the gist of it is to think about other people and how they may feel, which should be a no brainer.

Speaking of negativity, I will add some more since we are at it.

Unfortunately it has been an addiction to most people. And yeah it is quite astounding to see people enjoy mediocrity.

Oh well, I am done being negative...for now. where is that reddit individual now...i bet I didn't do much to refute his/her claims. Sigh!

This is what I'm talking about. You aren't exactly doing anyone any favors here. You may believe you're the voice of reason, but reason is usually heard when it's not in a negative manner. There's many ways to get your point around that doesn't have to demean or aggravate others.

crusader_prophet
01-14-2016, 07:26 AM
This is what I'm talking about. You aren't exactly doing anyone any favors here. You may believe you're the voice of reason, but reason is usually heard when it's not in a negative manner. There's many ways to get your point around that doesn't have to demean or aggravate others.

Did the remainder of my post make any sense or just those parts you quoted? I didn't demean or aggravate anybody. it has become a mediocre series and people claiming it otherwise seem to enjoy it. For myself it is an addiction and the hope of what I used to enjoy return in each iteration. Hope that makes sense out of all that negativity.

pacmanate
01-14-2016, 08:18 AM
I don't really get their issue. For the most part, these forums are pretty good. The past year it really cleaned up.

As for negativity, I can only think of myself, but that's because Assassin's Creed just is not the Assassin's Creed it was and that is a fact, and that annoys me.

So when I see cheap DLC copy/paste efforts and when after 4 games we have no progression for modern day, something that has been important since day 1, I will get vocal.

Do I have a right to get pissed? Yes, I do. Why? Free Will. Why do I get pissed? Because everything that made AC great to me has gone.

I have pasted this list everywhere but these are my gripes, and for good reason.

1. Past 3 years and 4 games = No Juno Progression, no MD progression
2. Past 2 years = No First Civ Site
3. AC4 and Rogue having Modern Day as a floating tablet and then ACU and ACS as MD cutscenes = Lack of MD story progression
4. AC Chronicles showing us the Journery of the Precursor box = Has added hardly nothing to the series' lore.
5. Short and Copy/paste DLC
6. First civilisation barely making appearances at all since AC3
7. Exploration in the form of clutter the map with collectibles
8. The "Mystery" has disappeared. No more Adam and Eve, no more glyphs, no more first civ talks

Since AC Unity, Assassin's Creed has just been about Technological improvements too. "We have a huge city", "We have crowds", "Look at our textures", "o luk, new free running". I liked AC because it was about a persons life, that was intertwined with mysterious artifacts, that intertwined with the first civ, that intertwined with modern day in an actual investive way. Thats what i want again. I dont care for a new time period with flashy new tech improvements and a new life story. I want all those things from the trilogy to return because THAT was what AC is and that is what it WAS.

My issues with the franchise can be seen as negative cause... I guess it's hate? But I loved the franchise and hate what's happened to it and I want it to go back to being Assassin's Creed again.

MikeFNY
01-14-2016, 08:34 AM
I will be honest with you guys, I've been here for a month or so, mainly to discuss Syndicate and I must say that compared to many other forums/places out there this is one of the nicest.

I've been reading, writing in and also moderating forums for two decades and one of the main problems of large communities is that newcomers are felt "unwanted". I must say this is not the case here and in respect to how nice people are, I repeat the level is very high.

In the end it's all about respect, it's all about respecting what others are saying even if what they write makes no sense at all. What for you may sound like negativity, for the user is constructive criticism and what for you may sound like a cheap shot at the series, for the user is, "Look I love the series, I just don't want it to die because of repetitiveness".

I love the series, I adore it, I would say I'm addicted to it but if you ask me where the series is today, I will reluctantly admit that it's becoming way too repetitive and what felt special and epic a few games ago, suddenly all has became just "ok-ish". Let's not forget that a number of new features introduced in the last two games (Disguise skill, Chameleon skill, scare tactics and the Rope Launcher) are either ridiculous or blatantly copied from another game as a clear demonstration that the game has hit a wall in respect to creativity and innovation.

Having said that, my opinion has very little weight, I returned to gaming only a few years ago and played all AC games one after each other without the one-year break many of you guys tend to take. So who knows, maybe a new game is released in 2016 and all I said in this paragraph becomes obsolete.

In fact when I read some ideas floating around here such as the return of multiple cities, a new setting, a Witcher-type of approach, I understand that the series is not dead, no, but maybe it needs a revamp.

But anyway, to conclude on the subject of the topic, no, I don't think this place is "cancerous", quite the opposite actually.

dxsxhxcx
01-14-2016, 12:52 PM
They almost all seem to think that games should be made to make only THEMSELVES happy, and no one else other than their individual.
Sorry if wrong place, but I just wanted to share.

I'm no developer so it's not my job to worry about what others may or may not like when I give MY opinion about what I would like to see in the game.

Mr_Shade
01-14-2016, 12:58 PM
Each community is different, all have ups and downs.

Lets let them have their opinion, just as you guys have yours.

Last thing we need is fan vs fan ;)