PDA

View Full Version : So, what's your favorite borough in Syndicate?

Namikaze_17
01-10-2016, 11:38 AM
Yo, peeps. :cool:

Having played ACS, I must say that I've become immersed in its open-world. London itself, taking the cake for best AC city. With that said, I figured I'd make a thread to know what particular borough you like specifically visiting? For me, it sort of a tie between The Strand & Westminster; Strand for how it connects between some boroughs with such art (https://youtu.be/s-rDmQcdlCM) complimenting it, while Westminster gets points for how rich & lively it is.

Oh and a shout-out to the Thames, the team did a lovely job on it. :o

Anyways, blah blah feel free to discuss blah blah.

BananaBlighter
01-10-2016, 12:53 PM
Before I rank my top three, I just have to say that I love pretty much all of them, London is the best city in this series BY FAR IMO, so here goes:

1) Thames - Most unique, best side missions (boat raids and smuggler's boats both encourage stealth), and the jumping from boat to boat animations are by far the smoothest in the whole parkour system, making the experience just that bit more satisfying.

2) Strand - I d'know why I chose it, it's just nice when I'm exploring and then suddenly come across really recognisable locations like Covent Garden and Trafalgar Square. For some reason I don't get that same feeling with Big Ben and Buckingham palace.

3) Southwark - I like the industrial feel, the factories look great from a distance, creating quite a menacing landscape among the beauty of London with all of it's smoke. Buildings are great for parkour too, though there is still a clear need to use the rope launcher when traversing the borough.

VoXngola
01-10-2016, 01:07 PM
I absolutely love The Strand, City of London comes close. I agree with you about London itself, it's really great.

Senningiri_GR
01-10-2016, 01:22 PM
I would say Westminster because I really enjoyed raiding the Buckingham Palace... It is a very frosted and rich area like west The Strand

cawatrooper9
01-11-2016, 04:20 PM
I do have to say that I really enjoyed how different the boroughs were, and it's actually going to be pretty difficult for me to rank them. I remember that Unity bragged that it had radically different boroughs too, but I found them to mostly just always be more of the same- Syndicate's London had more life than that, to me.

1. The Thames- As much as I love the entire city, I can easily say that the Thames is my favorite. The constant ebb and flow of ships makes it wildly interactive and beautiful- probably one of the most unique landscapes in the entire series!

2. Westminster- Contains many of London's most beautiful landmarks. The aesthetics here are phenomenal, everything oozes beauty- from the NPCs, the ambient music, the buildings, the streets, the carriages... I could go on and on.

3. The Strand- Seems to combine the best of the City of London and Westminster. The Strand feels like the "new money" area of the city- it would house the best shopping and restaurants, if that makes sense, but would still be accessible (hipsters would inexplicably love it). I'm not sure if that makes sense to everyone or not.

4. The City of London- Dominated by the great Cathederal, the CoL feels like the classic cities of the old Ezio days, perhaps even more than anything in Unity did.

5. Lambeth- Highly industrial and a little grungy, I found Lambeth to be pretty similar to the other two remaining entries on this list- but that's certainly not a bad thing. What really puts Lambeth in the advantage, to me, is that it houses the awesome asylum, which was one of the more interesting (albeit easy) Assassinations in the series.

6. Whitechapel- Again, I find Whitechapel and Southwark to be pretty similar, but Whitechapel edges out due to its status as the first city in the game (as well as its part in JtR).

7. Southwark- Still a great section of city, but nothing really sets it apart.

Honorable mention: The Tower of London- What a great assassination area! I did the stealthier approach on my first playthrough, but recently used the Guard to attack the Tower this time. Very cool how different these play out.

Honorable Mention: The Darkest Hour- I still hope we get a game in ancient times next, but this segment proved to me that AC could still go further forward if they wanted, and they could do it well. Incredibly atmospheric, the 50-60 year time hop showcases a city that is simultaneously familiar and alien- due to technological advancements, structural changes, and a wartime atmosphere. The only complaint I have about this is that it really isn't worked into the story at all.

BananaBlighter
01-11-2016, 06:02 PM
Here's my full ranking, though I'm not gonna go into explanations:

1) The Thames
2) The Strand
3) Southwark
4) Westminster
5) City of Lodon
6) Whitechapel
7) Lambeth

Each borough is unique and has its own unique feel, but here's how I've categorized them. While it demonstrates that many share characteristics, it is also there to show that they each have their differences.

Whitechapel - poor and dense
Lambeth - poor and sparse
Southwark - industrial and sparse.
City of London - rich and dense
Westminster - rich and sparse
Strand - beautiful mixture of the two above.
The Thames - do I need to explain how this is by the far the most unique?

poptartz20
01-11-2016, 07:05 PM
Haven't beat it yet.. but by running around, its funny how each borough is somewhat uniquely different. (with exceptions) I've enjoyed London and Thames. and I've seen bits of Westminster.

Namikaze_17
01-12-2016, 05:34 AM
Honorable Mention: The Darkest Hour- I still hope we get a game in ancient times next, but this segment proved to me that AC could still go further forward if they wanted, and they could do it well. Incredibly atmospheric, the 50-60 year time hop showcases a city that is simultaneously familiar and alien- due to technological advancements, structural changes, and a wartime atmosphere.

You forgot this. (https://youtu.be/e8KT97oVqOo) ;)
It also gets points for bearing more of a resemblance to the Victory screenshots than 1868 London ever did.

And since we've got lists now, for me it goes:

1) The Strand
2) Westminster ( The parks, man. The flippin' parks)
3) The Thames/ City Of London
4) Lambeth
5) Southwark/Whitechapel

Not that I particularly dislike the bottom two, but hardly much made them stand out as much as the rest like others have said. Still great locations nonetheless.

rrebe
01-12-2016, 11:07 AM
While I really liked the whole map in Syndicate, I think I enjoyed The Thames and The Strand the most.

Jackdaw951
01-12-2016, 02:38 PM
Not ever having visited England, I went with Westminster, as the borough I'd most likely want to spend some time engaging in touristy things. London and the Strand come in close behind. The industrial and working-class areas don't interest me as much. The Thames is a special bit of animated fun in the game. I'm surprised I've never seen it compared to Frogger (especially before the zipline gadget). Now it has.

pacmanate
01-12-2016, 06:07 PM
Hard to Rank them so I won't, they are all equally as good. Westminster though definitely feels really high class, they really did hit that well.

Same goes for The Thames, very impressed with it.

Xstantin
01-13-2016, 04:52 AM
Thames was something fresh, so I'd go with it.