PDA

View Full Version : MYST IV - like URU or like MYST and other

thhynes
08-12-2004, 09:35 PM
I just posted a message regarding URU and how much I am just so frustrated with it...

Now on to MYST IV...could someone please PLEASE tell me if this game is going to be like the orginal...or are we going to have to jump and run through water, and fall in lava time and time and time and time and time and time again? Or is this game going to be straight forward like the orginal myst...point and click and solve puzzles....

If its anything like URU I REFUSE to play it.

Tom

thhynes
08-12-2004, 09:35 PM
I just posted a message regarding URU and how much I am just so frustrated with it...

Now on to MYST IV...could someone please PLEASE tell me if this game is going to be like the orginal...or are we going to have to jump and run through water, and fall in lava time and time and time and time and time and time again? Or is this game going to be straight forward like the orginal myst...point and click and solve puzzles....

If its anything like URU I REFUSE to play it.

Tom

Naquiel
08-12-2004, 10:09 PM
Read the other threads and find out.

But to answer your question, yes Myst 4 will be like the original series, but with a little more to it.

Question, what was so bad about URU?

Srikandi
08-13-2004, 12:48 AM
It will be prerendered with 360 degree views like Exile, though more interactive than any of the previous games (including Uru). Try the demo and see if you like it.

Sri's Relto (http://members.cox.net/srikandi/Uru/)

Vernsh
08-14-2004, 12:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It will be prerendered with 360 degree views like Exile, though more interactive than any of the previous games (including Uru). Try the demo and see if you like it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't understand "more interactive". It's an animated slide show with very limited access to visual areas. You don't move through the world, you just click and bring up a new image, if it's available. 1995 tech in 2004. My 3Ghz Pentium and Radeon 9700 Pro are totally wasted. I could play this game with my old 1994 Gateway P-90 . Uru was maybe too advanced for some users but this is giant step backwards. I wish Cyan well but I won't be buying it.

matt myat
08-14-2004, 04:55 AM
woah buddy - i think you've misstepped a little there!

firstly and most importantly Myst IV is being developed by Ubi who are taking the emersive experience to a whole new level which real-time 3d (as Cyan is currently pursuing) cannot yet provide.

The technology in Myst IV used for animation, effects and interactivity is stunning and beyond anything ever achieved in this direction before! Myst IV requires very high processing power and you definitely could not play this game on a 1994 computer.

There may be fewer locations to shuffle about, but you'll be able to go wherever you might want to (unless it would require wings or other such means of travel) and the intensity of detail, life and interactivity at every location is really impressive!

ZHorkmeister
08-14-2004, 08:45 PM
I understand where thhynes is coming from -- I almost swallowed my tongue trying to do those totally BULLS*IT jumps... I must have unsuccessfully jumped 50 times or more in GAHROOSEN when I was going for the Bahro Door... the whole bit of jumping like that was absolute CRAPOLA !! Each time I failed to make a jump -- it took my old compooter 5 MINUTES to reload RELTO ... I HATED those jumps....

[Edited for flaming. ZH, please refrain from making personal comments about other forum members. -Sri]

[This message was edited by Srikandi on Sun August 15 2004 at 04:20 AM.]

Srikandi
08-15-2004, 05:18 AM
What I meant by "more interactive" was just that -- there are more things in the Myst 4 environments that you can interact with. To start with, tapping anything nearby makes a sound that reflects its material, and many objects trigger "memories", audio or video flashbacks. Beyond that, there are lights that turn on and off, wildlife and insects that respond to cursor movement, you can make ripples in the water... and no doubt much more that we haven't seen yet. This does make it very different from previous prerendered games... as does the large amount of movement produced by the 15 layers of video.

In Uru, while you can move freely through the world, interaction is limited to buttons and specific puzzle objects (aside from a couple of physics demonstrations like the beach ball and Relto's rocks and stones). Like most 3D worlds, it is not notably interactive.

Interaction doesn't come from 3D; in 3D games, just as in prerendered games, it's the result of specific programming attached to specific objects, and thus is largely independent of graphics type.

Sri's Relto (http://members.cox.net/srikandi/Uru/)

ZHorkmeister
08-15-2004, 01:40 PM
http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/1072.gif Well let's see if this comment passes as constructive criticism.... I disagree with Vernsh's assessment of MYST IV ... he/she has a right to their opinion of course .... however, in my opinion, you don't go around buying $50.00 computer games to see if they adequately test your computer's graphics cards or CPU power. MYST IV will not be a glorified slide show, and even if it was.... I would still buy the game becuse I happen TO LIKE looking at slides .... the point to buying MYST IV will be because you LIKE the story line -- you LIKE the music -- you LIKE solving interesting puzzles.... see?? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/51.gif

jetuserX
08-16-2004, 11:35 AM
if you do want something to test your card get a benchmark that will do that..

-----------------------------
Washington Webteam
http://crwash.org
In Dev: http://crwash.org/_development

earlfrank
08-16-2004, 04:32 PM
http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/crazy.gifHey Everyone,

Well I've been gone for a while, but like it or not you got me back again.I just finished building my first fom the ground up computer and am hear to tell you it was worth the time and money to get what I wanted instead of what the big boy's are contracted to push with their pre built systems.

I have now downloaded the demo for Myst IV and frankly can't understand why anyone would not get totally hooked even if they had not played the rest of the series. I wish it was already Sept., in the meantime I have just finished a game called Aura Fate Of The Ages, (by one of those other company's) and it played pretty well on my system, I have yet to take URU off of my old computer and load it on this one yet though because I got no freakin' idea how to copy and move such a huge set of files.

I agree with the earlier statement by jetuserX as far as getting a good benchmark program to check you system's status. I my self used one to overclock my new P4 from the 2.8 800 fsb up to 3.4 and it runs great.
I wound up with the ATI X800 Pro video card and a Sony LCD 17" so the 1024 x 768 resolution is fine but I hope with the actual game I can push that a bit.
Sorry for rambling on about things that have no bearing on the Myst IV demo, I felt like they might be of some interest.

Earl Bailey

San Diego, Ca.

ArienMalfoy
08-16-2004, 04:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vernsh:I don't understand "more interactive". It's an animated slide show with very limited access to visual areas. You don't move through the world, you just click and bring up a new image, if it's available. 1995 tech in 2004. My 3Ghz Pentium and Radeon 9700 Pro are totally wasted. I could play this game with my old 1994 Gateway P-90 . Uru was maybe too advanced for some users but this is giant step backwards. I wish Cyan well but I won't be buying it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You obviously haven't played the demo yet. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif