PDA

View Full Version : MS Sidewinder FF joystick question

sukebeboy
06-25-2004, 03:07 AM
Often when I'm flying near the ground and low to medium speeds, I expereince a very strong kicking or bucking sensation with my joystick. It's quite irritating. Is this intentional or a bug? Is it supposed to represent wind shear or eddies or thermals or something? I never experience it at high speeds or high altitudes.

I'd like to turn it down or off, if possible but I don't know how to do so without turning everything down or off.

sukebeboy
06-25-2004, 03:07 AM
Often when I'm flying near the ground and low to medium speeds, I expereince a very strong kicking or bucking sensation with my joystick. It's quite irritating. Is this intentional or a bug? Is it supposed to represent wind shear or eddies or thermals or something? I never experience it at high speeds or high altitudes.

I'd like to turn it down or off, if possible but I don't know how to do so without turning everything down or off.

Retrofish
06-25-2004, 03:18 AM
I think its supposed to be like that.

Theres a folder called 'ForceFeedback' in your FB directory find and delete or rename the file called 'punch.ffe'.
That should get rid of that annoying effect.

sukebeboy
06-25-2004, 03:20 AM
Thank you sir.

Zeus-cat
06-25-2004, 09:43 AM
Below 300m (or is it 500m?) you will get a constant kick from the stick. This simulates strong winds/turbulence during bad weather. Climb to 500m and it goes away. Sometimes it shows up again at 1000m (or near the clouds???). Again, climb or dive to change altitude so it goes away. Very annoying if your flight leader does not have FF on his stick and you can barely hold on to your stick! These non-FF guys don't understand.

Adds to the immersion factor IMO. Makes you realize that real pilots have to do this all the time.

Zeus-cat

DD_NL
06-25-2004, 10:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Retrofish:
I think its supposed to be like that.

Theres a folder called 'ForceFeedback' in your FB directory find and delete or rename the file called 'punch.ffe'.
That should get rid of that annoying effect.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for that fix! I have it too, all the time during taxi/takeoff.

http://home.tiscali.nl/ddonline/IL-2/logo.jpg

sukebeboy
06-25-2004, 11:07 AM
Zeus_cat:

I appreciate it and loath it at the same time. I assumed it was there to represent wind shear or some similar thing. The problem is, if I set my FF stick defaults to high feedback, I get the bucking sensation at insanely strong levels. It's not immersive, it's just annoying. I would like to keep it there, but at a much reduced level. As it is now, it makes the game a chore to play, rather than a joy.

Retrofish
06-25-2004, 12:18 PM
sukebeboy....found this thread:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=49310655&m=821109784

Sounds like this is what youre looking for..6th post.

pacettid
06-25-2004, 12:46 PM
IMHO, the wind and turbulence features, and how they ineract with FFB, are not very good.

Recommend you turn them off in the 'Difficulty Settings' you can select before starting coop, or single player missions.

All the best, Don

Udidtoo
06-25-2004, 01:20 PM
I have never found a good compromise with this feature. I eventually did as someone suggested and completly turned off the turbulance effect.

I've never tried any other stick with FB/AEP but with A MSFFB2 it kicks and bucks so hard that accurate shooting is impossible.

I'm sure that atmosphere created that sort of conditions at times but in this simm its constant. Plus with the wife sleeping at night about 5 feet away, that was the force that always woke her up and got me in the doghouse.

I always have just enough fuel to arrive at the scene of my crash.