PDA

View Full Version : Health System (and other game mechanics)

DJ_Cyka
01-05-2016, 07:10 PM
I am very excited for this game ;D

Now every gamer has their own "background" in gaming from some people started out playing mario others started on cod, My journey began with halo (I always played on legendary).

What i want to get people talking about is the idea of a health system in this game now if you've ever heard of viking you must have heard of the legendary berserkers. Berserkers were men that were believed to be part wolf they were fierce warriors and would not yield to any man except someone who has honored the field of battle. what this has to do with the health system in the game is kinda random but i feel that a bleeding mechanic would be nice what that has to do with vikings is that a berserker would essentially go blind with lust for blood when he is close to death. I am also saying that this would mean men could bandage their wounds that stops bleeding but does not heal their health. i also feel that limb dmg should play a part were a warrior limb may swing slower when damaged. to lead on that knights(a lot of plated armor wouldnt allow knights to swing high so they would have one arm fully armored and the other lightly armored) should swing differently based on their armor (ive only seen one game do this kind of thing and it was Armored core).

so anyways now that you read that, how do you feel the health system will turn out? will they have health items? will dmg be one hit KO? or will it auto heal? or are there any other mechanics you think they should build on?

Willaguy2010
01-05-2016, 09:21 PM
From what I played at PAX the health system has five bars, you can only regenerate health within a bar, unless you either use an ability or go to a control point that you own and wait. If you are in the last bar of health you walk/run very slowly and your swings and blocks are very labored looking.

What you suggest sounds more like a mechanic for Kingdom Come: Deliverance, a medieval game that focuses on realism, whereas this game focuses on action packed gameplay. Plus the damaged limb mechanic doesn't sound very good to me because you can't aim for limbs, even if you hit left trying to go for the enemy's right arm they may be in a certain position that you hit their leg or head.

DJ_Cyka
01-05-2016, 11:29 PM
From what I played at PAX the health system has five bars, you can only regenerate health within a bar, unless you either use an ability or go to a control point that you own and wait. If you are in the last bar of health you walk/run very slowly and your swings and blocks are very labored looking.

What you suggest sounds more like a mechanic for Kingdom Come: Deliverance, a medieval game that focuses on realism, whereas this game focuses on action packed gameplay. Plus the damaged limb mechanic doesn't sound very good to me because you can't aim for limbs, even if you hit left trying to go for the enemy's right arm they may be in a certain position that you hit their leg or head.

i believe the pax version was subject to change

MisterWillow
01-06-2016, 12:06 AM
if you've ever heard of viking you must have heard of the legendary berserkers. Berserkers were men that were believed to be part wolf they were fierce warriors and would not yield to any man except someone who has honored the field of battle. what this has to do with the health system in the game is kinda random but i feel that a bleeding mechanic would be nice what that has to do with vikings is that a berserker would essentially go blind with lust for blood when he is close to death.

I'm guessing that, if there is a blood rage mechanic of any sort---and I agree one should be there for Vikings---it will probably be tied to a Feat, so that players can gauge a situation and induce it whenever the want.

For example, you go to cap (or defend) Zone C, and find two (or three) members of the opposing team there, you activate Blood Rage---which would presumably buff your physical resistance to damage and/or attack power or speed for its duration---and take them all out. It would probably be a 3rd or 4th level Feat, depending on how effective it actually is, and have a long(ish) cooldown, to preserve balance.

I am also saying that this would mean men could bandage their wounds that stops bleeding but does not heal their health. i also feel that limb dmg should play a part were a warrior limb may swing slower when damaged. to lead on that knights(a lot of plated armor wouldnt allow knights to swing high so they would have one arm fully armored and the other lightly armored) should swing differently based on their armor (ive only seen one game do this kind of thing and it was Armored core).

Something like this was brought up in another thread, and I honestly don't think enough fights last long enough for bleeding, bandaging, or even weakened limbs to be much of concern, and even if, after several weeks of people practising, players get good enough can make them last longer than, say, a full minute, at what point would a wounded player have time to bandage themselves? Certainly not while in combat, so perhaps after combat? And at that point---if released gameplay is any indication---there's a very high probability that a secondary opponent would have engaged them, which would have to be dealt with.

There'd be so little opportunity for it to be of any consequence that it might not be worth adding.

so anyways now that you read that, how do you feel the health system will turn out? will they have health items? will dmg be one hit KO? or will it auto heal? or are there any other mechanics you think they should build on?

I agree with Willaguy, overall. The health system they have seems to be working fine to me, and I highly doubt they'll change it.

The only real tweak I would like them to make is that, currently, if your last health bar is damaged, you move and attack slower (as if injured), but once that bar refills you're fine again; whereas I think it would be a bit better if you're hobbled if you're on your last health bar, regardless if it refills or not.

That being said, there's been very few times that I've seen someone getting out of combat with their last bar of life anyway, and if they do, they're easily chased down. I just think it would add that extra bit of atmosphere to a player on their last leg, desperately trying to get to a control zone and/or defending themselves against an attacker.

premiumart
01-06-2016, 05:31 PM
Something like this was brought up in another thread, and I honestly don't think enough fights last long enough for bleeding, bandaging, or even weakened limbs to be much of concern, and even if, after several weeks of people practising, players get good enough can make them last longer than, say, a full minute, at what point would a wounded player have time to bandage themselves? Certainly not while in combat, so perhaps after combat? And at that point---if released gameplay is any indication---there's a very high probability that a secondary opponent would have engaged them, which would have to be dealt with.

There'd be so little opportunity for it to be of any consequence that it might not be worth adding.

Couldnt agree more. That mechanic would probably be too inconvenient to add to the fast paced overall gameplay.

I agree with Willaguy, overall. The health system they have seems to be working fine to me, and I highly doubt they'll change it.

The only real tweak I would like them to make is that, currently, if your last health bar is damaged, you move and attack slower (as if injured), but once that bar refills you're fine again; whereas I think it would be a bit better if you're hobbled if you're on your last health bar, regardless if it refills or not.

That being said, there's been very few times that I've seen someone getting out of combat with their last bar of life anyway, and if they do, they're easily chased down. I just think it would add that extra bit of atmosphere to a player on their last leg, desperately trying to get to a control zone and/or defending themselves against an attacker.

Actually for the sake of gameplay i would leave it as it is it might be thrilling to try and flee from a fight but at the same time if you manage to kill your opponent at the last minute in a hard fight its just frustrating if another enemy just comes in and ends you with a single swing and "lel rekt" XD while you try to crawl away. With the current system you can at least hope to regain your mobility and retreat.

MisterWillow
01-06-2016, 06:48 PM
Actually for the sake of gameplay i would leave it as it is it might be thrilling to try and flee from a fight but at the same time if you manage to kill your opponent at the last minute in a hard fight its just frustrating if another enemy just comes in and ends you with a single swing and "lel rekt" XD while you try to crawl away. With the current system you can at least hope to regain your mobility and retreat.

Definitely see your point here.

My immediate response would be 'call for backup to prevent that', but thinking about it more, being hobbled regardless also means that, until you can reach a control point and heal up, you'd be pretty useless to your team anyway. Might be better to just die and respawn, in that case, unless you're right next to a control point.

BudBro49
01-06-2016, 07:53 PM
One thing they need to do is reduce the stagger from blows when receiving multiple hits from different enemies. I don't want "Stun locking" to be a mechanic in the game, because it will be abused by players who would rather just get a cheap win.

I personally think the health system is great as it is, however, I wouldn't mind them adding a "Blood trail". So you can follow an injured player.
Say someone takes 1 or 2 hits before killing their opponent, but then flee's to recover health at a point... I think it would be great if there was a blood trail leading to the person who is injured. It would be a great experience to see a pool of blood and my dead team mate, to then only follow the blood to find him and kill him. It would just add to the game mechanics and not take anything away from the current game model.

premiumart
01-06-2016, 08:40 PM
One thing they need to do is reduce the stagger from blows when receiving multiple hits from different enemies. I don't want "Stun locking" to be a mechanic in the game, because it will be abused by players who would rather just get a cheap win.

I personally think the health system is great as it is, however, I wouldn't mind them adding a "Blood trail". So you can follow an injured player.
Say someone takes 1 or 2 hits before killing their opponent, but then flee's to recover health at a point... I think it would be great if there was a blood trail leading to the person who is injured. It would be a great experience to see a pool of blood and my dead team mate, to then only follow the blood to find him and kill him. It would just add to the game mechanics and not take anything away from the current game model.

Teams that communicte would probably just plan ambushes like that. XD

First rule: Dont follow the blood trail.

Fatal-Feit
01-08-2016, 09:03 PM

This is a great idea.

Although, one adjustment I would like to make is that players who're at their last or second to last health bar will leave a trail of blood instead. This way it would show that the person killed had put up a fight and you have a chance to get revenge while the enemy is still recovering. I think it would become less special if everyone left a trail of blood over meager damage.