PDA

View Full Version : Wasn't AC IV suppose to be better optimized than AC III?

u2020bullet
01-03-2016, 02:18 AM
I run AC III on medium-high but i can't even run AC IV with everything set to off/low. I'm just not getting smooth FPS no matter what i do or lower or turn off. I suspect it might be Physx and there apparently should be an option in the graphics menu to turn it off, but i'm not seeing it at all even though my GPU supports and has used physx in basically all the games that have it. Is there anything that can be done about this or should i refund the game?

PS: My game version is 1.07 and i set nvidia control panel to use my gpu for physx thinking it would make the option show up. Still got nothin'.

strigoi1958
01-03-2016, 04:41 AM
the particles for smoke has an effect on fps but what is your pc spec please and what resolution are you using ?

u2020bullet
01-03-2016, 04:53 AM
Specs:

CPU: Intel Celeron G1620 2.70GHz
GPU: Gainward GT240 Golden Sample (most powerful 240 version ever made)
RAM: 10gb ddr3 1600MHz
Resolution: 1680x1050 (this is only temporary until my monitor comes back from the shop at which point i'll be going back to 1440x900)

Now i know my computer isn't exactly good but i figured it would at least be playable on xbox 360 graphics level. I honestly still think it's the physx, but like many people, i have the problem where it doesn't show up in options, and i know it's definitely on due to the insane amounts of smoke and effects.

EDIT: Physx is definitely running, i turned on the indicator using Nvidia Inspector and it's definitely on. And seeing as how my game defaults to nearly maximum i wouldn't be suprised if it's running on high. If only it would actually show up in options so i can turn it off.

Going4Quests
01-03-2016, 01:48 PM
Yea, Black Flag is horrible optimized imo. I got a i7 4770, GTX 970 and 16GB RAM. Everything maxed out is a fixed 60 fps in AC3. Everything maxed out is 40-60 fps in Black Flag while roaming, but in cities like Kingston and Havana it's around 30.

Everything maxed out, including the Nvidia Gameworks settings give me 40 fps as a minimum (never lower) in Unity (ofcourse, after all the patches) with a maximum of 80 fps at the top of the Notre Dame. Average 50-60 fps.

u2020bullet
01-03-2016, 01:54 PM
Surprisingly, before i got the game i kept running into threads where people constantly said how Black Flag was far better optimized and runs better than AC III, after i bought it i keep running into people with specs like yours who can't seem to run it. If only i'd known. Not gonna refund it as i loved it when i played it on a friend's xbox when ti first came out but i am gonna hope i'll be able to afford a new graphic card soon. It's just annoying knowing it'd run well if i could just turn physx off and not being able to do anything about it.

DazKRaptorSquad
01-04-2016, 12:45 AM
I am currently playing AC3 again and have no issues and I regularly go back to AC4 (over 1200 hrs of gameplay) and have no issues having them fully optimised using GeForce Experience.

Just posting so you can see my spec's and in case it highlights an issue.

strigoi1958
01-04-2016, 03:03 AM
U2020bullet I'm afraid your GPU is very weak.... Buying a better gpu will make a big difference. I would feel something like a GTX 650 ti as minimum for gaming (and that would probably struggle to play some new games) and the 650 ti is probably 10 times faster and better than a GT240. Something like that would make an enormous difference to your gaming. If you can afford more, look at a 4gb gtx 760 or gtx 960.

YazX_
01-04-2016, 01:07 PM
i have no problem running BF maxed out with 4xTXAA @ 2560x1440 with constant 60 FPS (since its locked to 60), BF problem is in Nvidia Physx, if you set it to anything above low, your FPS will be affected massively and stuttering here and there, just set Physx to low in game graphics option and should be fine. anyhow, this options affects smoke coming from your gun, ships' canons and smoke coming out from chimneys , anything above low will increase smoke intensity thus making it very hard to see especially in ship battles.

And yes there is an option to turn off physx under graphics options, its called "Physx Particles"

Specs:
GTX 970
16 GB ram

u2020bullet
01-13-2016, 10:34 AM
As i said, the physx option is not present within graphic settings for some reason, although it is definitely on, especially judging by the sheer amount of smoke present in the game (and the physx indicator whenever i start the game). I did some tweaks with nvidia inspector and nvidia control panel and got it to run smoothly on low-medium settings. I must say i'm impressed with the visuals in this game, can't even imagine what it would look like maxed out. I'll have about 200 euros in a month (hopefully) so i will be shopping for a new GPU. Any ideas? :)

Lignjoslav
01-13-2016, 12:32 PM
Black Flag is better CPU optimized than AC III, but, as others have said, your GPU is fairly weak and BF visuals are much improved compared to AC III,so there's your problem. On a side note, I had a Radeon 4670 which is comparable to the GT 240 and it struggled even with Brotherhood (luckily I got a replacement the morning Brotherhood came out, so I only played the game on it for a couple of hours), so I'd say you got pretty far in the series with your card.

For around 200€, Radeon R9 380 or GeForce GTX 960, the two cards are very evenly matched. Although your CPU is going to be letting those GPUs down, so maybe you could make a plan to upgrade both?! A more balanced system, with an i3 and Radeon 370, or, if you can find it, 270X, would probably give you a better balanced gaming experience. If you look at second hand market, you should be able to find cheap parts that are (crucially) still under warranty.

u2020bullet
01-13-2016, 01:10 PM
Actually i was planning on upgrading my CPU for another 200 euros in a year, so i figured i might as well get the best GPU i can right now and then the best CPU i can in a year, that way the configuration as a whole will last me longer than just getting weaker components now.