PDA

View Full Version : Shooting down all the new planes in the "new" 109f4........

Jumoschwanz
05-20-2004, 05:31 AM
My standard procedure for evaluating a new patch is to put myself in the 109f4, the plane I am very familiar with, and going up against the latest and greatest.

It does not say the 109s got a flight model tweak, maybe the difference is relative to the other tweaked flight models. But the 109f4 is flying great this patch.

109f4 vs I-185 and spit9: The I-185 is a tough match. Head on in QMB, ace settings, cockpit on, I dodged the first pass, went straight for a bit and then gently went vertical, I was able to fall back on top of the I-185 and get hits. The I-185 seems to be made of the same wonder wood as the old yak-3s, I never flamed it with the single cannon on the f4 but got his controls a few times, out of four matches I got two and the I-185 got two when I did some dumb things. Surprise! on the deck slow and with take off flaps I was able to out turn the I-185 and the spit9, make them give up and get on thier tails. I am sure this will be tougher against a ace human opponent, but it was still unexpected.

The guns hit harder. I flew the 109f4 against an ace AI b25. As long as I kept fast and smart the b25 did not score fatal hits, and I scored a controls kill eventually. When I gave the b25 gunners a target by coming in straight on the six, the fifties shredded and flamed my 109 really quickly.

The 109f4, and the other 109s with the single 20mm nose cannon might make a little bit of a comeback online. The f4 handles like a dream and the nose cannon seems like it has ten to fifeteen percent more hitting power. Just enough to make it worthwhile.

Jumoschwanz

Jumoschwanz
05-20-2004, 05:31 AM
My standard procedure for evaluating a new patch is to put myself in the 109f4, the plane I am very familiar with, and going up against the latest and greatest.

It does not say the 109s got a flight model tweak, maybe the difference is relative to the other tweaked flight models. But the 109f4 is flying great this patch.

109f4 vs I-185 and spit9: The I-185 is a tough match. Head on in QMB, ace settings, cockpit on, I dodged the first pass, went straight for a bit and then gently went vertical, I was able to fall back on top of the I-185 and get hits. The I-185 seems to be made of the same wonder wood as the old yak-3s, I never flamed it with the single cannon on the f4 but got his controls a few times, out of four matches I got two and the I-185 got two when I did some dumb things. Surprise! on the deck slow and with take off flaps I was able to out turn the I-185 and the spit9, make them give up and get on thier tails. I am sure this will be tougher against a ace human opponent, but it was still unexpected.

The guns hit harder. I flew the 109f4 against an ace AI b25. As long as I kept fast and smart the b25 did not score fatal hits, and I scored a controls kill eventually. When I gave the b25 gunners a target by coming in straight on the six, the fifties shredded and flamed my 109 really quickly.

The 109f4, and the other 109s with the single 20mm nose cannon might make a little bit of a comeback online. The f4 handles like a dream and the nose cannon seems like it has ten to fifeteen percent more hitting power. Just enough to make it worthwhile.

Jumoschwanz

609IAP_Recon
05-20-2004, 05:39 AM
haven't been able to enjoy the 109F4 since IL2.

I'm glad to see it is the dogfighter now that it was meant to be http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Salute!

IV/JG51_Recon

http://www.forgottenskies.com/jg51sig2.jpg

PBNA-Boosher
05-20-2004, 05:44 AM
I always test the new guns against the 109F-4 and F-2 first. I'm glad to say that the guns have greatly improved. My Yak-1 and Yak-1b can deal out a lot of good punishment now that all the guns are fixed, and the P-38's and P-40's .50's are terribly powerful.

However, it is harder for me now to flame the engines on the 109's. It was way too easy before, all it took was one tracer of any bullet type to the engine to flame it, now you need good, concentrated fire there. It's no problem in a P-38 or P-40, but I definitely need to improve my accuracy with the Yak-1 series.

tigerroach
05-20-2004, 06:40 AM
I also found my bf109f to pack more punch with the weapons on my first trial run. A couple or three well-aimed bursts were all I needed to splash a bomber, before I always had to expend an inordinate amount of ammo on the big planes. I'm pretty sure my aim didn't improve that much in one day.

I also noticed that just a few hits on my wing were more devastating than previously, will have to get better at avoiding the bad guys!

Can't wait to spend more time with the upgrade this weekend, but so far I am a very happy pilot.