PDA

View Full Version : Planes dissapear at certain intemediate distances - help!

pettera
07-23-2004, 04:52 AM
I have experienced this after the patch 2.01 I think. I have a GForce2MX card and is forced to use "medium" settings for acceptable performance. I usually use 800x600 resolution.
(I know it is old and bad.)

I think I have seen this problem mentioned somewhere but I haven't seen any hints on how to solve the problem. It is quite annoying and make online play pretty difficult.

If I use F6 I can "follow" the invisible plane. Then, at certain distances it pops out from nowhere.

Any solutions? Are there some settings (visibility distance?) that should be avoided?

Petter

pettera
07-23-2004, 04:52 AM
I have experienced this after the patch 2.01 I think. I have a GForce2MX card and is forced to use "medium" settings for acceptable performance. I usually use 800x600 resolution.
(I know it is old and bad.)

I think I have seen this problem mentioned somewhere but I haven't seen any hints on how to solve the problem. It is quite annoying and make online play pretty difficult.

If I use F6 I can "follow" the invisible plane. Then, at certain distances it pops out from nowhere.

Any solutions? Are there some settings (visibility distance?) that should be avoided?

Petter

McTriggerhappy
07-23-2004, 05:24 AM
probably the distance at which a plane appears as a dot is too small, try adjusting it in the conf thing or whatever it is

leadbaloon
07-23-2004, 05:25 AM
I seem to recall a post about this that said it was best to stay zoomed right out to keep the dots visible. I might be wrong, but at least it'll bump your thread http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

F19_Ob
07-23-2004, 08:59 AM
I have this problem too and I wrote or answered a post some time ago.

Seems to be different depending on your system and resolution and maybe graphicscard too.
The planes seem also to have different visibility models and I detect a 109 better than a p51 or hurricane , wich both are bigger planes.

On res 800x600 some planes like hurricanes disappeared at distances 200-500m if seen against ground or water and only tracers was visible . A 109e seen at the same distance was clearly visible and sometimes I would see a 109 chased by an almost invisible hurri, wich was detectable only by its motion.
Now Im back on res.1024x768 but it doesnt help much. If I have better light effect I see them better but it costs me online.

I have also spoken to other people with other system specs and they dont suffer as I do.
So its different.

He he...once I looked back and saw tracers appear from thin air. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/icon_twisted.gif
Another plane that disappear on same distance is p38.

I dont think my problem have anything to do with the patch though.

lil_labbit
07-23-2004, 10:14 AM
FB models have so-called LODs (Level Of Detail) meaning - you have less and less detail over several LODs in the Plane's 3D design...

Now some of the new planes seem to don't have some of the LODs http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif hehehe - so when that LOD is displayed on several different Video Mode settings - it disappears.

Set your video mode either up or down and it will probably appear again http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

http://members.home.nl/lil.labbit/lilseesya.jpg
Night is better than Day

ucanfly
07-27-2004, 05:28 PM
Hey this has got to be a bug. I was behind and below some Me262s and at about 780m their LODs went down to nothing at normal zoom (from a nice big fat LOD). As I flew by them I saw in the distance (over 3000m) some 109s which were very clearly visible and bold.

I've seen in in the past with other planes (res = 1024X768 with 2XAA)

WTE_Galway
07-27-2004, 06:17 PM
You have stumbled on the secret "Bermuda Triangle" map havent you ...

BaldieJr
07-27-2004, 07:44 PM
This is a bug. Its been in FB since release.

Go into the video options and set "Visibility Distance" to the highest value (you may have to click the button that says "Custom" in order to see "Visibility Distance").

I can't believe this bug still exists.

ucanfly
07-27-2004, 10:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BaldieJr:
This is a bug. Its been in FB since release.

Go into the video options and set "Visibility Distance" to the highest value (you may have to click the button that says "Custom" in order to see "Visibility Distance").

I can't believe this bug still exists.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gosh I thought I had tried that already but it did seem to fix the problem (for the 262 at least) at 780m, although it still appears that the 109 is much more visible at 2 km than the bigger 262. ALso if Visibility "medium" is used with DirectX it also makes the 262 reappear. Verrrry annoying when playing full real.

BRASSTURTLE
07-28-2004, 03:57 PM
I had 3 Zwillings disappear on me last week. i had not had that happen before 2.04. i have made NO changes to any setting in the mean time.
last night 190's & 262's we vanishing right in front of me a fairly short distances.