PDA

View Full Version : Should future assassin's creed games have couch co op?

VernalBreak
12-29-2015, 02:45 AM
What do you think of co op?

D.I.D.
12-29-2015, 04:23 AM
I'm sure you already made this thread...

It's not possible. The current consoles are underpowered and can barely run the games as they are. They cannot run two players' games together on the same screen or on separate screens. Of course, it would be nice but it would be pretty horrible on current gen standards. Widescreen does not divide well, and 1080p split-screen would completely miss the point of the scenes that AC attempts to give you. Maybe it would work on a super-powered PC with 4k, but I suspect it would be ungainly even then just due to the panel shapes.

VernalBreak
12-29-2015, 04:46 AM
I made a thread about all co op not directly about split screen. I have never had frame rate drops on any game but ac syndicate and just cause 3 and both of them were because way way more things were happening than normal. In just cuase 3 I had a drop to like 10 fps for a few seconds when I blew up almost an entire base at once using explosive charges. On syndicate I got some lag for 30ish seconds when I was in a gun fight with probably 30-40 enemies and this was only right after release. I have never had any issues in either game again. I feel like as long as they don't go crazy split-screen could be supported.

LoyalACFan
12-29-2015, 10:26 AM
Even excluding obvious hardware issues, you also have to contend with the fact that it would be frustrating as all hell to try and play a game like AC (third-person view where interactable objects and prompts are quite small) on half a screen. So I vote no.

D.I.D.
12-29-2015, 11:14 AM
What might make it feasible would be unique co-op environments along the lines of Desmond's training rooms. I quite miss that aesthetic, and the simplicity and control it would allow could look good and reduce performance problems at once.

cawatrooper9
12-29-2015, 03:57 PM
I'm sure you already made this thread...

It's not possible. The current consoles are underpowered and can barely run the games as they are. They cannot run two players' games together on the same screen or on separate screens. Of course, it would be nice but it would be pretty horrible on current gen standards. Widescreen does not divide well, and 1080p split-screen would completely miss the point of the scenes that AC attempts to give you. Maybe it would work on a super-powered PC with 4k, but I suspect it would be ungainly even then just due to the panel shapes.

I don't know much about the technical side of things, but I do know that people at the beginning of the XBox360/PS3 generation would have thought a game like Black Flag nigh-impossible on their hardware, too. So, I don't know, maybe we can figure it out. :D

Even excluding obvious hardware issues, you also have to contend with the fact that it would be frustrating as all hell to try and play a game like AC (third-person view where interactable objects and prompts are quite small) on half a screen. So I vote no.
It would hardly be the first game like that, and it would work really well for some people, at least. I don't think I'd have too much of a problem on my 65'' TV at all.

If it works, and doesn't affect the quality of the rest of the game in a negative way, why not? (Big "ifs", I know)

Ureh
12-29-2015, 10:58 PM
It's a little harder to imagine couch coop in the main games...

They could incorporate some same screen coop for future Chronicles. I think there's a bunch of sidescrolling co-op games these days.