PDA

View Full Version : Jack the Ripper DLC Intel, and Modern Day [Potential Spoilers]

Eziodagreat
12-26-2015, 08:41 AM
As a modern day fan, I found the new intel they added into the Jack the Ripper DLC was encouraging. I found the intel here, on this YouTube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6939RM09hk

Major spoilers ahead (At least I hope).

There were a lot of new names thrown in that have ties to the Assassin Brotherhood, possibly leading to them expanding more and more into the modern day universe, but this is only a small factor, and really may not have any importance at all.

A bigger thing we learn is that Otso Berg is in fact alive.

But potentially the biggest uplifting thing is that the Assassins are cutting all ties with those who identify as "The Initiates," at least for the time being. Ubisoft is also closing down the Initiates website, so this falls right in line with what they are doing in-game.

I think this has major implications moving forward, because for the last two games, we were considered the Initiate and the protagonist, which was something that I couldn't stand.

For me, all signs are pointing toward going back to a 3rd person protagonist. There will be no more Initiates nonsense, and there is no way we will go back to the floating tablet. Although I hope for this every game, I feel that this news from Bishop is really encouraging.

What do you guys think? Am I crazy?

RzaRecta357
12-26-2015, 06:07 PM
I made it about 1/4 through the game before I started to think actual AC FIVE will feature a modern day protagonist and a city we can play modern day in then hop in and time period it.

So I literally just beat the DLC and wanted to talk about this. We have a Desmond's potential son whom has memories of tons of other lives and then the initiates closing down.

oh my my!

Sorrosyss
12-26-2015, 08:09 PM
When I saw this in the DLC, I thought as you both did - that it is a signal to the end of the era of the initiate protagonist. Normally I'd be cheering over this, but what concerns me is that even with this little snippet, they still left the caveat of "we may contact you again". So bleh, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

HDinHB
12-26-2015, 08:20 PM
There are two possibilities: (1) as the OP suggests, they shut down the Initiates site to further the story in the game that the Assassin's are severing ties with the Initiates because the Initiates are innocents and are being put in harms way, OR, (2) the devs wrote a few short emails because Ubisoft abandoned the Initiates website like they have so many other sites and projects.

The second is by far the most likely, so "bleh" seems the appropriate response.

Civona
12-27-2015, 12:30 AM
eh. I think the wording is more ambiguous than that.

My immediate guess is actually that they're referring to the rumored breakaway from annualization: "The Initiates" refer to the playerbase of AC games, and so "we'll not contact you for the forseeable future" might just mean there's not going to be a new game for a while.

Of course, this might serve the extra purpose of setting up whatever they end up doing with the story, which very well could include more traditional third person protagonists. I'd guess they don't really know for sure what the future will bring, at this point.