PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed 2 Stuttering/FPS drops on high end rig

niemtoor
12-24-2015, 02:25 AM
I have beaten AC2 years ago on console and decided to play through the series again on PC and I was shocked at the performance of the PC version. Despite having an overkill rig, the game is unable to maintain 60 fps, at which it is automatically locked. I get serious stutters in some places which makes no sense at all like in Tuscany and Forli. I have enabled/disabled Vsync, set affinity to 2 cores only I have set everything to max settings, playing at 4K and the game barely uses my GPU. Disabling MSAA, setting resolution to 1080p do not help at all.

The game also has some SERIOUS texture/shadow popin and flickering issues. Entire building surfaces will turn to low polygons and magically appear as I get close to them. It is the worst I have seen in any AC. The shadows also look like they are in motion all the time.

Assassin's Creed 1 which I completed a few days ago runs BEAUTIFULLY in comparison on my PC at 4K and 120+fps and in my opinion looks way better. My rig is fully optimised and runs all games butter smooth.

Is it the new hardware, newest Nvidia driver, Windows 10? Do I need to downgrade driver to get better performance? Or is it just a terrible console port?

My PC:

GTX 980 Ti 6GB at 1464Mhz (Latest 361.43 Driver)
i7 3770K at 4.5GHZ
16GB RAM
Windows 10 64 Bit

UbiSmarmy
12-24-2015, 02:38 AM
Hey niemtoor.

There have been some issues with Windows 10 and older games. My first suggestion would be to run the game as administrator, then run the game in compatibility mode.

This should resolve the issue, although if you continue to encounter this problem please contact Ubisoft Support (https://support.ubi.com/en-US/index) for further assistance.