PDA

View Full Version : What are your expecations for the movie trailer?

Smithies89
12-23-2015, 09:37 AM
My guess is it will be presented as a board meeting with Alan Rikkin discussing Aguiler and something important he is believed to have done or witnessed and then ending with him tasking his directors to find one of his descendents

D.I.D.
12-23-2015, 12:17 PM
I don't think that would really get people to the movies unless they already know the games. I'd expect a movie trailer that's quite a lot like the game trailers: heavy on the stalking assassin in a city centuries ago, then some glitchy graphics breaking apart, then coming out of the glitches for a view of the modern day Animus user waking up in the chair.

It might sound boring to us, but you've got to sell this movie to people who don't give two ****s who Rikkin is or what Abstergo is (yet), so you need to explain the meat of it in 30 seconds (and preferably without words).

SixKeys
12-23-2015, 12:46 PM
I don't think that would really get people to the movies unless they already know the games. I'd expect a movie trailer that's quite a lot like the game trailers: heavy on the stalking assassin in a city centuries ago, then some glitchy graphics breaking apart, then coming out of the glitches for a view of the modern day Animus user waking up in the chair.

It might sound boring to us, but you've got to sell this movie to people who don't give two ****s who Rikkin is or what Abstergo is (yet), so you need to explain the meat of it in 30 seconds (and preferably without words).

I agree it'll probably be something like that. Would the Animus still be a chair though? The movie is supposed to be canon to the games, but the Animus/Helix has been just a futuristic headset for a while now.

ze_topazio
12-23-2015, 12:59 PM
I expect dubstep music.

Sushiglutton
12-23-2015, 01:24 PM
I expect a ten minutes or so boardmeeting. Rikkin will do a powerpoint of the financials. Various diagrams will show the performance and estimations for the next fiscal year. The trailer will be accompanied with an excel spreadsheet so we can crunch the numbers ourselves (interactive trailer). Then the board will discuss investing in a new coffee machine. The old one is ok, but has a pretty limited selection. For example there's no macchiato. At the spectacular ending of the trailer Rikkin will set a date for the next meeting.

I expect dubstep music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snalxvppX0M

D.I.D.
12-23-2015, 01:42 PM
I agree it'll probably be something like that. Would the Animus still be a chair though? The movie is supposed to be canon to the games, but the Animus/Helix has been just a futuristic headset for a while now.

True, but while the games have brought the Animus down to something more or less like a VR headset, the film might need to go in the other direction to make it instantly clear. You don't want the trailer or promo images being mistaken for an Oculus Rift promotion :) I wouldn't be surprised if it's an uncomfortable spinal interface, even, so the audience thinks, "Ah, like The Matrix - got it".

VestigialLlama4
12-23-2015, 02:27 PM
Assassin's Creed The Movie stars Fassbender, so i expect we'll see Fassbender in the past and present. This is a star vehicle and for people who don't care about AC, they need to come for Fassbender. Especially important since this is the first franchise Fassbender is using to pass himself off as a major leading man. So it suits his interest. Assassin's Creed is not Harry Potter or Star Wars in that it has a huge property, nor is the director Cameron or Spielberg.

I also think you will see some Da Vinci Code or Inception like references to get audiences to somewhere close to what they can expect. Inception being a movie where you use a machine to explore other worlds (albeit dreams) is a reference point for the kind of genre AC is trying to get at.

Smithies89
12-23-2015, 05:24 PM

yeah your right but that voicemail teaser had me thinking. Maybe they will do what I said but as he is explaining they will throw in a few dramatic shots of Aguiler doing his thing

Ureh
12-23-2015, 06:31 PM
Maybe a close-up of Fassbender followed by a one-liner, "Rest in peace..." or "Because I must..." or "Your friends are next...", after he kills his target.

VestigialLlama4
12-23-2015, 08:11 PM
Maybe a close-up of Fassbender followed by a one-liner, "Rest in peace..." or "Because I must..." or "Your friends are next...", after he kills his target.

How I would do the trailer is have Fassbender quote Nietzche:

"When the Christian crusaders in the Orient came across that unconquered Order of Assassins, that free-spirited order par excellence, whose lowest ranks lived a life of obedience of the sort no order of monks attained, then they received by some means or other a hint about that symbol and motto, which only the highest ranks kept as their secret, "Nothing is true. Everything is permitted." . . . Well now, that was spiritual freedom. With that the very belief in truth was cancelled. . . Has a European, a Christian free spirit ever wandered by mistake into this proposition and its labyrinthine consequences?"

Friedrich Nietzsche, On the Genealogy of Morals.

This introduces the Assassins, places them in a secular context of proto-exitenitalist philosophy and by using Nietzsche you can sell the whole quasi-Islamic cult to a Western audience. And Fassbender is part German...so there's that.

SixKeys
12-23-2015, 10:57 PM
How I would do the trailer is have Fassbender quote Nietzche:

"When the Christian crusaders in the Orient came across that unconquered Order of Assassins, that free-spirited order par excellence, whose lowest ranks lived a life of obedience of the sort no order of monks attained, then they received by some means or other a hint about that symbol and motto, which only the highest ranks kept as their secret, "Nothing is true. Everything is permitted." . . . Well now, that was spiritual freedom. With that the very belief in truth was cancelled. . . Has a European, a Christian free spirit ever wandered by mistake into this proposition and its labyrinthine consequences?"

Friedrich Nietzsche, On the Genealogy of Morals.

This introduces the Assassins, places them in a secular context of proto-exitenitalist philosophy and by using Nietzsche you can sell the whole quasi-Islamic cult to a Western audience. And Fassbender is part German...so there's that.

Because if there's one thing action-adventure movie fans love, it's....quoting Nietsche? :confused:

HDinHB
12-24-2015, 12:26 AM
Because if there's one thing action-adventure movie fans love, it's....quoting Nietsche? :confused:

Yeah, that'll put butts in seats.

SixKeys
12-24-2015, 02:31 AM
Yeah, that'll put butts in seats.

I can picture the promotional interviews already:

Reporter: So, what made you decide to star in a video game movie?
Fassbender: Well, we looked at the script and thought to ourselves: what we really wanna do here is place these characters in a secular context of proto-existentialist philosophy. With explosions.

VestigialLlama4
12-24-2015, 05:34 AM
I can picture the promotional interviews already:

Reporter: So, what made you decide to star in a video game movie?
Fassbender: Well, we looked at the script and thought to ourselves: what we really wanna do here is place these characters in a secular context of proto-existentialist philosophy. With explosions.

Have you read Fassbender's promotional interviews lately...he's a real self-serious guy. Fassbender seems more interested in the Modern Day than the historical portion however.

It worked for The Dark Knight didn't it? That movie is entirely about Joker and Batman being the Ubermensch and asserting their values over that granted by society. Nietzsche is also a popular philosopher, a lot of ordinary folks know him and his concepts so it would work.

Kierkegaard on the other hand...now that's better served for Woody Allen movies.

HDinHB
12-24-2015, 09:21 AM
It worked for The Dark Knight didn't it?

You're saying The Dark Knight had a trailer where one of the leads read a hundred word Nietzsche quote?