PDA

View Full Version : Character creation, for or against?

CourtlyShelf2
12-21-2015, 07:43 PM
with open world rpg`s usually there is character creation since assassins creed has taken more of a open world rpg approuch i wondered if there would ever be a character creation since the modern day story takes a first person view i dont see why not i know its not a must have feature but it might freshen things up abit more

well character creation are for it or against it?

VernalBreak
12-21-2015, 07:54 PM
I would say against since assassin's creed is more roleplaying than most games. I like that you pretty much take on the role of your character and a customization would mess that up to me.

Sorrosyss
12-21-2015, 08:00 PM
Other narrative games have proven it can be done. Personally I'd love to see it. But I understand why fans want to have a clearly distinct protagonist each time.

If they ever expand the multiplayer to something more... tangible, then that is an ideal place for a creator system.

dxsxhxcx
12-21-2015, 08:08 PM
as much as I enjoy the option to create my own character in certain games, I would be against this feature in AC because IMO it would lead to (even more) generic and soulless conversations between the protagonist and the NPCs in order to fit the wide array of different characters that would be created by the players, I would rather have a new protagonist with a unique personality back.

cawatrooper9
12-21-2015, 08:10 PM
I wouldn't mind something like the cusomization in GTA- robust outfits, haircut options, etc... but the character in Assassins Creed needs to feel grounded, like a real person. Just making someone up really nullifies that beyond any point of disbelief.

Assassin_M
12-21-2015, 08:12 PM
Assassins Creed never started taking the open world RPG approach. Since Unity, Assassins Creed started including ELEMENTS of mechanical RPG such as skill trees, levels...etc. RPG is role playing. You don't role play in Assassins Creed. Character creation would work if they continue with the unnamed modern day protagonist route or if they bring back some sort of MP. Other than that, no.

phoenix-force411
12-21-2015, 09:42 PM
Assassin's Creed is not an RPG, because too many variations cause messes to occur in story-telling. AC doesn't take the open-world RPG approach, but it does take elements from RPG games like the leveling system and such which doesn't ruin anything. If you start throwing story decisions and character creation into AC. it would be lost to the RPG world and out of its own element and genre. As far as I know, none of the games have given you any sort of Animus-breaking decision besides ACII and its stupid QTEs which break the atmosphere, because it raises the question on "what really did happen?"

cawatrooper9
12-21-2015, 10:11 PM
Assassin's Creed is not an RPG, because too many variations cause messes to occur in story-telling. AC doesn't take the open-world RPG approach, but it does take elements from RPG games like the leveling system and such which doesn't ruin anything. If you start throwing story decisions and character creation into AC. it would be lost to the RPG world and out of its own element and genre. As far as I know, none of the games have given you any sort of Animus-breaking decision besides ACII and its stupid QTEs which break the atmosphere, because it raises the question on "what really did happen?"

Haha, my favorite one of those is to ignore the greeting with Leonardo and completely shut down his attempt at a hug.

I guess with smaller stuff like that it didn't bother me- after all, we're hardly playing a an exact retelling of the events at the quantum level- that would basically require the game to be one non-interactive cutscene, because even the directions we walk and how fast we walk in them are technically decisions. I guess I just allow for some leeway, for playability's sake. Maybe they, such as in those QTE events, have some representation of how your action affects synchronization, thereby giving you a hint on what "really" happened.

More problematic to me are the other customizable options- from who Ezio recruits to the Brotherhood to what sails Edward chooses for his ship, and even smaller things like which weapon Connor uses to finish off his target. But again, for playability's sake, this loose interpretation of lore is absolutely necessary.

But I absolutely agree that some things, such as the basic physical details and identities of the protagonist, need to be more concrete than a character creator could allow. Anything less would imply that the Assassin may or may not have even existed, which is just silly.

Sesheenku
12-22-2015, 02:12 AM
Against, Ubisoft can't even make us as the protag in modern day interesting. No no no dear.

Haha, my favorite one of those is to ignore the greeting with Leonardo and completely shut down his attempt at a hug.

You. Are. Scum.

You give that apparently gay man a hug right the **** now.

SixKeys
12-22-2015, 05:13 AM
Assassins Creed never started taking the open world RPG approach. Since Unity, Assassins Creed started including ELEMENTS of mechanical RPG such as skill trees, levels...etc. RPG is role playing. You don't role play in Assassins Creed.

Technically we do. Just not a character of our own creation but an established one. It's our job to perform missions in ways that fit that character's style and personality. (Or at least it would be, if some full sync objectives weren't so dumb.)

Anyway, I don't have strong opinions about character creation either way. IF it's ever going to happen in some form, it should only be with your modern day character (third person, obvs). Like someone said, having to accomodate too many possible personality types in the script would only make the dialogue blander. In modern day that wouldn't be such a problem but the historical parts would suffer.

Assassin_M
12-22-2015, 06:46 AM
Technically we do. Just not a character of our own creation but an established one. It's our job to perform missions in ways that fit that character's style and personality. (Or at least it would be, if some full sync objectives weren't so dumb.)
Well, that would apply to the conventional, dictionary meaning of role playing, but role playing video games are the descendants of role playing table top games and in those, a lot of decision making is involved in shaping your character.

So yes technically, you're right, it fits the dictionary definition. It doesn't really fit the genre's modern definition, though.

cawatrooper9
12-22-2015, 09:33 PM
Against, Ubisoft can't even make us as the protag in modern day interesting. No no no dear.

You. Are. Scum.

You give that apparently gay man a hug right the **** now.

Don't get me wrong, I love Leonardo!

I just find it hilarious to see him get disappointed like that. I'm sadistic, apparently. :rolleyes:

Farlander1991
12-22-2015, 11:06 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love Leonardo!

I just find it hilarious to see him get disappointed like that. I'm sadistic, apparently. :rolleyes:

When I played AC2 for the first time, I missed the hug prompt and it made me feel so bad (his face was like of a sad puppy or kitty) I replayed the whole game (that's how I discovered you can't replay main story missions in AC2, lol) just so I could hug Leonardo.

LoyalACFan
12-23-2015, 12:00 AM
I'd be against this, and pretty strongly so. I've never once played a game where I felt genuinely attached to the character I created, simply because the story/dialogue has to be so broad and generalized that it can't really be that memorable. I mean, there are exceptions, like Mass Effect or KOTOR, but in those, your character's backstory and role are pretty much already solidified, so you aren't actually "creating" the character, you just have some degree of control over their personality. Which is a horrible idea for AC, not just because of the Animus/Helix canon BS (don't really care about that anymore) but because it would require thousands of man-hours developing a new fundamental mechanic when AC is having trouble sticking the landing on the mechanics it already has.