PDA

View Full Version : P51 online strategy and tactics vs. ???

SithSpeeder
05-13-2004, 02:01 PM
Hi all--

I really enjoy these IL2 forums and have learned so very much from everyone's posts and experiences (online and off). I have seen many tactics threads about using your planes strengths and exploiting your enemy's weaknesses, especially with regard to 109s, 190s, and to a smaller extent the Allied planes (I've been cutting and pasting from all the messages in the last month or two into files on my HD)--I have board tips for:
FW-190 (118 kb)
Me-109 ( 16 kb)
P-47 ( 27 kb)
P-40 ( 11 kb)
P-51 ( 15 kb)
But since my plane of choice (for now, anyways) is the P-51, I am finding that my 15kb of information is lacking. So I am starting this thread to explore P-51 tactics against Axis planes (as many online servers tend to be Allied vs Axis) as well as Allied planes (as DF servers are also out there, and sometimes our squad does internal furballs). Specifically, how should one fly the P-51 (any model...I prefer the "D" for visibility) against the:
Me-109 G#s (all variants)
Me-109 K4
Ki-84c (all variants)
FW-190 A9
FW-190 A5
FW-190 D9
Me-262
La-7
P-39
P-63

I have a basic understanding of Energy and have read books such as Shaw's "Fighter Combat" from cover to cover, but I still have a heckuva time against online (live) opponents. Ki's and La's seem to track me down and kill me (can't run away) as well as outturn me. K4s just monkey climb away. 190s get me in head ons or scissor away. 39s get close (how?) and whack me with their cannon.

Granted, I don't fly as often online as many of the "good" pilots do, which I realize
is most of my problem (stick time). I have heard (and believe, BTW) that "It's the
pilot, not the plane." But obviously, it's how the pilot uses his brain to fly the
plane in the various situations that makes him deadly. Obviously, flying the other
mounts to see their strengths and weaknesses first-hand would be beneficial, but simply do not have the time for that.

There is a strategy component (beyond tactics) too. Get superior Energy. But what is best climb speed (specify kmh or mph) at various altitudes, best flap configuration for climbing, cornering velocity at different altitudes, flap configuration for cornering velocity at the different altitudes, prop pitch (under which circumstances do you set it to what?--is anything under 80% useful for _anything_?)

But that's what this board is great at doing...discussions on tactics and strategy coming from a variety of viewpoints. I am hoping to solicit input from both P-51 drivers as well as drivers of the other planes (Luftwaffe and Allied) who can relate what (if anything) do they fear from a good P-51 driver? I try to read all the other tips threads for other planes to further my understanding (Zen, IceFire, JG3_Pye, mortoma, JG5_Unkle, BpGEmini, Bearcat, Thunderbolt56, Maple_Tiger, korolov, Eagle, georgeo, the list goes on and on).

Ultimately, my goal is to consolidate the "board tips" that I have collected so far and put them up on a website for all to use/see. So, aside from everyone seeing this post, I will be giving all this knowledge back to the community (I already reserved a domain name!). I _do_ believe in the philosophy of bringing everybody up to increase the quality of the play.

* _54th_Speeder *

One asks, many answer, all learn.
--Plato (on 'the Forum')

http://members.cox.net/~ijhutch/_images/400x200sig.jpg

SithSpeeder
05-13-2004, 02:01 PM
Hi all--

I really enjoy these IL2 forums and have learned so very much from everyone's posts and experiences (online and off). I have seen many tactics threads about using your planes strengths and exploiting your enemy's weaknesses, especially with regard to 109s, 190s, and to a smaller extent the Allied planes (I've been cutting and pasting from all the messages in the last month or two into files on my HD)--I have board tips for:
FW-190 (118 kb)
Me-109 ( 16 kb)
P-47 ( 27 kb)
P-40 ( 11 kb)
P-51 ( 15 kb)
But since my plane of choice (for now, anyways) is the P-51, I am finding that my 15kb of information is lacking. So I am starting this thread to explore P-51 tactics against Axis planes (as many online servers tend to be Allied vs Axis) as well as Allied planes (as DF servers are also out there, and sometimes our squad does internal furballs). Specifically, how should one fly the P-51 (any model...I prefer the "D" for visibility) against the:
Me-109 G#s (all variants)
Me-109 K4
Ki-84c (all variants)
FW-190 A9
FW-190 A5
FW-190 D9
Me-262
La-7
P-39
P-63

I have a basic understanding of Energy and have read books such as Shaw's "Fighter Combat" from cover to cover, but I still have a heckuva time against online (live) opponents. Ki's and La's seem to track me down and kill me (can't run away) as well as outturn me. K4s just monkey climb away. 190s get me in head ons or scissor away. 39s get close (how?) and whack me with their cannon.

Granted, I don't fly as often online as many of the "good" pilots do, which I realize
is most of my problem (stick time). I have heard (and believe, BTW) that "It's the
pilot, not the plane." But obviously, it's how the pilot uses his brain to fly the
plane in the various situations that makes him deadly. Obviously, flying the other
mounts to see their strengths and weaknesses first-hand would be beneficial, but simply do not have the time for that.

There is a strategy component (beyond tactics) too. Get superior Energy. But what is best climb speed (specify kmh or mph) at various altitudes, best flap configuration for climbing, cornering velocity at different altitudes, flap configuration for cornering velocity at the different altitudes, prop pitch (under which circumstances do you set it to what?--is anything under 80% useful for _anything_?)

But that's what this board is great at doing...discussions on tactics and strategy coming from a variety of viewpoints. I am hoping to solicit input from both P-51 drivers as well as drivers of the other planes (Luftwaffe and Allied) who can relate what (if anything) do they fear from a good P-51 driver? I try to read all the other tips threads for other planes to further my understanding (Zen, IceFire, JG3_Pye, mortoma, JG5_Unkle, BpGEmini, Bearcat, Thunderbolt56, Maple_Tiger, korolov, Eagle, georgeo, the list goes on and on).

Ultimately, my goal is to consolidate the "board tips" that I have collected so far and put them up on a website for all to use/see. So, aside from everyone seeing this post, I will be giving all this knowledge back to the community (I already reserved a domain name!). I _do_ believe in the philosophy of bringing everybody up to increase the quality of the play.

* _54th_Speeder *

One asks, many answer, all learn.
--Plato (on 'the Forum')

tttiger
05-13-2004, 02:25 PM
First, stay out all DF arenas. There's nothing historical about them. You can read Shaw 18,000 times and nothing he says will apply because that kill-die-respawn-kill-die-etc. mentality has nothing to do with reality. I agree furballing is fast and furious and even fun, but luck is a bigger factor than skill.

Fly Coops and Virtual Wars. At least they approximate what real air battles were about and you can use the tactics correctly.

Second, if you must fly DF arenas, at least use the ones where it's Allied versus Axis. Mixed plane are pure arcade.

I think the best thing you can do to develop your skills is to go into QMB and fight one on one against veteran AI opponents (Aces have shooting skills that are unrealistic).

Learn the outside edges of your plane's envelope. Know when you're going to stall. Know how fast you can accelerate. Learn when to drop the combat flaps and when to raise them. You need tyo learn when to do lead pursuitand when to do lag pursuits (which take patience).

At the same time, learn everything you can about your plane versus the enemy plane. Bud Anderson wrote he was never afraid to turn fight any late war German fighter. The P-51, he said, isn't a Spitfire, but at high speed with those combat flaps, it could out turn any German plane.

If the plane is faster but less maneuverable than yours (liker a Dora vs a Mustang), horizontal scissors will work against it.
If you have the less maneuverable plane (like a Mustang vs a Frank), better stick to vertical scissors.

Yes, all that and more are in Shaw's book but the trick is to go out and do it in a plane of your choice.

You have to invest lots of time and lots of practice. I prefer QMB because I can get lots of practice fights in during an hour. The AI are more predictable than human opponents but the point isn't to win or lose. It's to find out what you can and can't do in your Pony against all types of enemy planes.

The end result should be that your plane becomes and extension of yourself and everything you do will be intuitive.

That means learning your plane and lots of practice.

Good luck!

Aloha,

ttt

"I want the one that kills the best with the least amount of risk to me"

-- Chuck Yeager describing "The Best Airplane."

robban75
05-13-2004, 02:31 PM
Altitude plays a major role in the performance of the P-51. Now, unfortunatelly most online fights take place from ground and up to 3000-4000m. Above 7500m the Mustang gains an important advantage over most adversaries, save the Ta 152 and Bf 109K-4. Namely speed. Unfortunatelly the P-51 lacks defensive performance, meaning getting a guy off your six is tough work, since you can't outturn him, nor can you ouroll him or outclimb him. This is when speed is your best friend.

Diving away should work well against VVS fighters, just make sure you use every km/h at your disposal. Somewhere around 880-890km/h IAS should do fine, it will allow you to build up some space between you and the VVS fighter. This tactic is close to useless against 190's and 109's. Especially 190's as they have almost as good high speed manouverability as the Mustang. Although turning might help you against a Fw 190 because(IMHO) the P-51 is much easier to turn tight with. The Fw 190D mostly resembles the P-51 in terms of performance on the LW side, just remember that from ground and up to 6000m the Dora has a speed advantage, not a great advantage but good enough. Be careful with the La-7. It can outclimb the P-51 from ground up to 7000-8000m in-game. It wont overheat as quickly either.

Whenever I fly the P-51, I use it for pure BnZ, just as I do with the FW 190D-9. These two feel so much alike, although the Mustang feels more stable. The only thing I miss in the Mustang is some 20mm cannons, but with good aiming and good convergence, the 50cals will do enough damage.

I guess you knew much, if not all of this already, but this is how I look upon a Mustang anyways. Almost like my beloved D-9. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

http://members.chello.se/unni/D-9.JPG

When it comes to aircombat, I'd rather be lucky than good any day!

geetarman
05-13-2004, 02:31 PM
I think this is a great idea. On a very related note, I too would like the pros and AE's to explain the concept of "cornering speed" and "best rate of climb."

I think many of us would fly better if we flew properly.

As far as best rate of climb is concerned, it would be logical to assume that full power would give you the quickest climb. But that is probably not true. Why?

What is and how do we determine the best cornering speed for your chosen aircraft?

SithSpeeder
05-13-2004, 02:40 PM
Great advice, ttt. I was doing the heavy QMB thing for a while. What I noticed is that it improved my gunnery immensely. But even against Ace AI, I was getting to the point where me and my AI wingman could whack 4 of just about anything (AI has predictable weaknesses).

Losing is no big deal unless it happens over and over and over...which happens for me online (I get discouraged). Our squad will fly in GhostSkies sometimes, too, where teamwork is the main key (and there is lots of mixed plane).

But I'll ask you (becaues I think you might know)...what are the outside edges of the envelope for the P-51D?

And geetarman...don't hijack my thread! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

* _54th_Speeder *

geetarman
05-13-2004, 02:42 PM
http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gifSorry - couldn't resist - but you're right. Back to our regularly scheduled programming

Maple_Tiger
05-13-2004, 03:27 PM
As you already know, the P-51 is a very good plane. Not the best at everthing.

The first thing you need to do is figure out how much fuel you need. 25% fuel should be plenty. Quick decision, lol.

Second, you need altitude. How much? This depends on how high the enemy planes are. You atleast want to be about 2000m higher then your enemy.

Third, it's generaly not a good idea to take off and head towards the enemy base. I normaly take off and head in the opposite derection. Then i'll lazely make a climbing turn. I usually start heading towards the fight when im at about 3000m, but i will keep climbing.

Power settings that i use for long climbs:

95% RPM setting, rad on two, and 99% power. This way i won't over heat the engine and i will not use up alot of fuel.

Fourth, once i get to the altitude i set out for, 6000m about, ill use 75% RPM setting, 75% power, and rad open.

Fifth, alwasy go for the highest enemy plane.

Sixth, You need to time your dive attack on your victom. Watch him and figure out what he is doing. Is he aware of you? Or better yet, is he looking for an enemy plane to dive on?

Sometimes you can nail someone on there way back up from a pass.

Seventh, I usualy change RPM setting to 90% and open rad when i go into a dive. This helps keep the RPMs from exceeding there limit and helps to keep the engine cool. Once i level out ill change RPM setting to 95 or 100% and rad closed or on 2. Depends how much altitude i have on the enemy plane. If i don't have alot, then ill close rad, 100% RPM setting and full power. I'll gently pull back on the stick and do a lazy loop, or i might just extend away. You just have figure out how much E the enemy plane has before you deside on anything.

If you don't think you have a shot, then gently zoom back up. Don't yank on the stick and lose all your E

I normally do not turn fight when im flying the P-51D. Alot of planes can out turn you at low speeds. The late FWs are safe to turn fight with, if they don't have a wing man. lol.

If your down low, just stay fast. Most turn and burn planes can't turn with you at high speeds.

For example:

The La7 and BF109K4. You can out turn these bad boys at high speeds. Practice high speed Split S's close to the ground. The K4 and La7 will end up as scrap metel if they try and follow you. You are faster then the La7 at 2500m. Once you get close to about 4500m, the La7 will start to gain on you. Your supercharger will kick in at 5500m. You'l start to pull away again.

I have to stop typing lol.

Capt. 361stMapleTiger.
http://img52.photobucket.com/albums/v158/Maple_Tiger/FBAA2.gif
Proud member of the FBAA and Nutty Philosohpy Club.

SithSpeeder
05-13-2004, 03:50 PM
MapleTiger...are you talking engine RPMs or prop pitch? If you are talking engine RPMs, I have no idea how to mess with it...can you please explain?

The rest of the info is great stuff, too. Thanks.

* _54th_Speeder *

Willthisnamedo
05-13-2004, 04:05 PM
I suspect he means prop pitch: engine rpm is only a function of throttle setting (and boost if available) in game. I don't like to mess with pitch once in combat: just like the dora, the pony helps you by managing most of that complex stuff itself, so you can concentrate on the enemy... I put radiator to auto, prop pitch to 90%, and then adjust trim to fly level 'hands off'.

At that point, you've got a pretty fast a/c. Best bet next is to climb as fast as you can. Effectively, 'best climb' is about the best compromise between speed and angle above the horizontal: I'll normally have the throttle fully open, and try to hit a speed of about 330 KPH: she climbs like a lunatic with these settings. If you point the nose higher, speed drops and the altimeter changes more slowly...

In combat, keep speed up... The P-51 loves speed (ie, energy). I like sweeping turns and barrel rolls to either get on the enemy's 6 or disengage. I hate seeing the speed drop below 350 kph, and aim to keep it above 400. (She'll flat spin at the drop of a hat below 300...)

The point about Dogfight and arcade servers is spot on. For a better experience, go coop.

And above all, get high. Then you can pick your fight...

LuftLuver
05-13-2004, 04:43 PM
Consider 3000m your minimum hard-deck. If you've been pursuing a 109 or 190 down from the heavens, taper off above him before you hit the idiotic 700kph blow up bug. Keep an eye on him and see what he does. 80% of the time they assume they're safe and will try to come back up. They rarely get away from me in this scenario. Re: the blow-up bug. You can safely exceed 800kph, just no sudden movements on the stick. Ppl think you can't even touch the stick, but you can. You'll get the feel soon enough.

Re: The .50s
Damage your prey sufficiently, then move on. If you stick to his a$$ hoping for flames or a wingsaw, you are asking for a mk108 sandwich, via the back door. Yes, you are going to lose kills this way. Some joker will see the smoker/leaker and will want to be the hero. Let him. While you extend and check your 6, you'll likely see him getting his tail shot off. Lufties live for target fixation. It's how they get most of their kills. How else can these nose-heavy bomber busters get their shots in. More often than not, my probables try to rtb only to have an engine seize or a crash landing, awarding me the kill. You'd be surprised how messed up they really are, even though they're still airborne. (Makes the thought of better .50s in the patch even more exciting)

Re: On the deck fights.
Don't panic if you find yourself in this situation. I have shocked the heck out of dozens of 109s/190s who were barking down my tail, by suddenly turning on them. I won't go into the mechanics here, because one: It's an ancient Chinese secret, and two: I change it up routinely to avoid becoming predictable. Crazy Ivan you know. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

I've seen "The Pony low speed handling is bogus," posts. I don't care. The percentage of actual P51 pilots on this forum who have done stall aerobatics at 100m is probably less than .0000000000%, be sure. What these folks don't realize is how razor sharp the envelope is for the P51 down there. More than once the plane has without warning snapped over on its back and dug me a hole. Stall fighting in the Mustang is a deadly proposition, especially on Warclouds44 server. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif But there is no finer feeling in this game, than going from dead-meat to V!, so I don't shy away from practicing often.

The short? Don't ever stall fight, but know how to do it. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
"All your bases are belong to us."

[This message was edited by LuftLuver on Thu May 13 2004 at 08:30 PM.]

karost
05-13-2004, 05:02 PM
for me I have easy 4 level advice ( but not easy action )

basic
-------
1. shotting skill deflection shotting ( from 0-180 degree in gun range , open sport and blind sport )
2. combat manuever skill in energy tactic for offensive and defensive
3. check 6 http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
ace
-----
4. dynamic tatic and startegy

4.1. develop your advantage
4.2. maintain your advantage
4.3. turn your advantage to be a kill

expert
--------
5. use a poor plane kill a batter plane

my skill just hang on level 4.2 and I forget about level 5, but your can find many good friends as level 5 at HL.

good luck...
S!

Bearcat99
05-13-2004, 09:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Willthisnamedo:
I suspect he means prop pitch: engine rpm is only a function of throttle setting (and boost if available) in game. I don't like to mess with pitch once in combat: just like the dora, the pony helps you by managing most of that complex stuff itself, so you can concentrate on the enemy... I put radiator to auto, prop pitch to 90%, and then adjust trim to fly level 'hands off'.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not quite true...actually in planes with a constant speed prop the pitch will adjust RPMS. This can be usefull in dives or for climbing or giving you finer control overyour engine. As far as tactics go check out this (http://tailslide.firelight.dynip.com/atchart.asp) link.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>http://www.jodavidsmeyer.com/combat/bookstore/tuskegeebondposter.jpg (http://tuskegeeairmen.org/airmen/who.html)[/list]<UL TYPE=SQUARE>vflyer@comcast.net [/list]<UL TYPE=SQUARE>99thPursuit Squadron IL2 Forgotten Battles (http://www.geocities.com/rt_bearcat)[/list]
UDQMG (http://www.uberdemon.com/index2.html) | HYPERLOBBY (http://hyperfighter.jinak.cz/) | IL2 Manager (http://www.checksix-fr.com/bibliotheque/detail_fichier.php?ID=1353) | MUDMOVERS (http://magnum-pc.netfirms.com/mudmovers/index.htm)

USE THAT X45 STICK AS A BUTTON BAY!

JtD
05-14-2004, 12:51 AM
In addition to what was said I'd like to point out that the P-51-D is the fastet propplane we currently have @3000 meters. Depending on the mission this also is a very good altitude to fly at. You can still go for ground support or intercept a low flying Jabo, while beeing rather save against AAA and other plane. Just check your six from time to time in case someone comes in from above.

kweassa
05-14-2004, 04:34 AM
No, don't listen to what they say.

Stay inside the DF servers. When you learn to survive in a Mustang in that kind of chaotic battlefield, with a constant K/D ratio of over 5/1 - then you know that your system has finally installed "SA".

Stay put in those servers, until you fear no Ki-84 or a La-7 or a Bf109K-4. When you have learned enough to at least give a really shi**y time when any of those super planes drops down behind you, and you can stay alive long enough for them to spend their entire ammo load just to kill you - then, you know that you've learned some ACM.

Stay put in those servers, so you are confident enough to engage even a Spitfire in co-alt situation if you're pretty much sure you outskill the enemy pilot - then, you know that you've learned some cool merge techniques.

Stay put in those servers, learn how to knife-fight with a plane that ain't a knife, but a sledge hammer. Then you know you're ready for a killing streak.

DF, Furball, Free-for-all, etc etc.. these types of environment strengthen you, if it does not kill you. Ofcourse, when you succumb and decide to just up a Ki-84 or a Spitty or a La-7 - then you've lost the battle.. ye've been killed.

But grow enough balls to stay a Mustang freak even in the dirtiest of low-alt fights, and actually leave the scene as a survivor - then you know you really know how to fly that plane.

No matter what people say, the more fights you fight the quicker you learn. All that alt-monkeying, cherry-picking, BnZing mentality makes a halfling out of a good potential pilot. You know: those kind of pilots, who absolutely suck when they are caught by somethings as fast as themselves, or meet an enemy at co-alt, or ever have to go into a 1:1 fight.

There's a huge difference between someone who chooses BnZ as his tactic, and someone who has no choice but BnZ as his tactic.

Don't become the latter. Become the former. Experiment what you can do with the plane, against all kinds of shi**y situation you can meet. Being ganged up, chased down, strafed, BnZd, sprayed upon etc etc etc.. and heaven knows you can't get that kind of dirty fighting outside the DF servers. Flying 10, 15 minutes to find a bogey that is zounds lower than you, and diving down for a gun pass and then running away.... man, you can do that later when you are old and tired!

Enjoy your fights - the more fights the merrier you get.

And after that happens to you, then you can go start trying "realistic" situations. Because whatever "reality" has to offer, you've already learned how to counter in the DF rooms. SA, maneuvering, extensions, 1:1 fights, crisis situations, multiple engagements, fighting alone, overshoots - you name it.

This is a game - we don't die. Use that to your advantage. You don't have to play this like an RPG. In the real world the experts become experts by being careful. However, this ain't the real world. In this game world, the careful guys learn last. The guy who is wreckless learns the fastest. He either becomes totally addicted to mindless furballs, or becomes the one who first realizes how dangerous and pointless it could get, and then starts his real journey to the wonderful world of aerial combat. The careful guys, usually arrive there real late. (They think they've arrived, since they don't die as much flying in that timid fashion. But unfortunately, a bogey coming along co-alt almost always puts him back in his place).

Don't buy the hype!

Go for broke!!! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Maple_Tiger
05-14-2004, 04:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SithSpeeder:
MapleTiger...are you talking engine RPMs or prop pitch? If you are talking engine RPMs, I have no idea how to mess with it...can you please explain?

The rest of the info is great stuff, too. Thanks.

* _54th_Speeder *

http://members.cox.net/~ijhutch/_images/400x200sig.jpg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I kind of mean prop pitch. But it does not make any sence saying prop pitch.

It's a CPS plane. You don't control prop pitch direclty.

The Pilot uses the Prop Control to set his desired engine RPM, while the propeller governer attempts to maintain the set RPM.

Hence, you set the RPM and the governer will change prop pitch for you, automaticaly.

Capt. 361stMapleTiger.

SithSpeeder
05-14-2004, 07:38 AM
MapleTiger--

I guess I'm looking for a more "in-game" description of what you are saying...you monitor your RPM _OR_ when you say in your original post (for example) "95% RPM setting" that it is what is called "prop pitch" in IL2-FB?

kweassa--

You espouse what a fellow squad mate of mine does. But can you offer insight on to how to use the P-51 when "caught by something as fast as themselves, or meet an enemy at co-alt, or ever have to go into a 1:1 fight" or "engage even a Spitfire in co-alt situation if you're pretty much sure you outskill the enemy pilot - then, you know that you've learned some cool merge techniques"...what techniques?

* _54th_Speeder *

FatBoyHK
05-14-2004, 12:41 PM
kweassa it seem that you have what it takes... Can you show us how to do it on a Mustang? Really wanna learn from you.

Ballbuster1
05-14-2004, 01:16 PM
Never, I repeat never do head ons http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

-------------------------
Because I like too! Get a life!

Maple_Tiger
05-14-2004, 01:37 PM
MapleTiger--

I guess I'm looking for a more "in-game" description of what you are saying...you monitor your RPM _OR_ when you say in your original post (for example) "95% RPM setting" that it is what is called "prop pitch" in IL2-FB?

It does say prop pitch in the game, but it shouldn't when your flying most alied planes.

I think they should change it. It is confusing people lol.

And FatBoyHK. or who ever.

It's best Not to fly just one plane all the time. From flying differant planes, you lurn there strengths and weakness's. Then you can use that planes weakness's against it.

The P-51 is alot faster then the Spitfires that are in FB right now. You know darn well you can't turn fight with them. You can out roll them though, at about 500kmh +. You can out turn them at high speeds and out dive them. You can also out climb them, deppending on the angle of climb though.

So you see a Spitfire at co/alt. What do you do? Again this all depends on how far away he is, how fast you are and how fast he is.

You can out Zoom climb the Spitfire. Mayby try and pick up some speed before you pass him. Close your rad, 100% RPM setting, and 110% power. Go into a very slight dive and pick up as much speed as you can. The more the maryier. Keep in mind that you don't want to dive to steep and give too much altitude to the enemy Spit.

Once the you pass the enemy plane, level out and let the Pony climb up by its self. Energy management 101. The more you pull on the stick, the more E you will lose. Once the P-51 starts to quit climbing by its self, then gently pull back on the stick. You need to time it just right so that you can point the nose vertical and let the plane flop over backwards by its self, or you can use the rudder to force the nose back down.

If everying thing works out, the Spit should have stalled out by the time you flipped over backwards. Then just point the Cross hairs on him and fill him with lead. You'l need atleast 3 seconds to cripple or destroy the Spitfire though.

Have fun.

Capt. 361stMapleTiger.

F19_Ob
05-14-2004, 01:57 PM
Many German aces have expressed the opinion that the p51d was very equal to the later 109g's. Günther Rall was one of them and he flew captured p38's, p47's and p51's and learned their advantages and disadvantages . He passed on that knowledge to his fellowpilots.

The problem is that u only find little pieces of info here and there. Here is one article.
G.Rall
http://www.virtualpilots.fi/en/hist/WW2History-GuntherRallEnglish.html

Lawrence Thomphon (p51) meets Hartmanns 109G14
(scroll down to find his acount )
http://www.virtualpilots.fi/en/hist/WW2History-ErichHartmann.html

There is more...but not today http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif