PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on frustrations with the game - or is it just me???

DazKRaptorSquad
12-18-2015, 06:16 AM
OK, firstly I am the first to admit that I am not the most skilled person playing games on the PC but have played all the AC games to date and I like to complete the missions and achieve as many of the sub-objectives I can. My modus operandi is nearly always stealth, which in Unity was difficult because you were so easily detected but it was achievable most of the time.

My main issue appears to be actually using the PC controls but that is how I have played games since Baldur's Gate, I cannot use a console controller due to an injury that damaged a nerve in my thumb.

My question is does anyone else feel Syndicate's controls are sticky (i.e. Evie's butt gets caught on stuff in stealth too easily) and that the character often seems to make decisions completely contrary to what is being executed on the keyboard.

There have been so many times I have told either Evie or Jacob to say go right and they go left for a good second or two often meaning they break cover. I tell them to drop off a wall continuously hitting "E" and they just sit there and may as well be waving a flag to the guards.

In the mission to get into Disraeli's carriage unseen, I did the whole thing without even being seen let alone detected and literally had to walk 3 metres down a path and into the carriage in a straight line. But right at the end of the path Jacob just leaps onto a mailbox and won't get off for at least 3 seconds by which time the guards all see you. Also at least twice I have achieved a sub-objective yet the game has said I failed it. Has anyone else had that?

In all honesty this game has for me personally been really disappointing and it is the first time I am not interested in 100% completion. Most of the missions are repetitive and either unchallenging from a strategic perspective, they then become incredibly frustrating when the character just does some strange thing that blows the sub-objective.

I am willing to accept that the control thing may just be me, however too may times the screen has said hit "E" which I have done but instead of the intended action I have actually assassinated people or performed one of the million other options for that button, such as picking up a body. This even happened when a menu was on the screen asking me to press "E" to play a mission and instead I hijacked a carriage and assassinated the driver.

Anyway if anyone has any tips, feedback if it is me or if you have experienced similar things it'd be great to know I am not alone :-)

Rohith_Kumar_Sp
12-18-2015, 11:03 AM
yes, it's annoying that they removed roll recovery, you can no longer jump as you wish from any place like ACU, it's annoying that evie just sits there like a rock when i'm trying to wall eject or just jump from height.

PS, if you are a OG AC fan, the first thing you do in any new AC game is change high profile/climb wall to Right Click. who ever @ubisoft thought "shift" to run and climb the wall was good idea hasn't played the game on PC, how can you even run and look behind at the same time if you have Shift to run ? it's not gta, you actually have to climb the walls and change the camera angle and in turn change WASD accordingly, you can do that if you have right click to run a the old AC games.

YazX_
12-18-2015, 01:07 PM
yes, it's annoying that they removed roll recovery, you can no long jump as you wish from any place like ACU, it's annoying that evie just sits there like a rock when i;m truong to wall eject or just jump from height.

PS, if you are a OG AC fan, the first thing you do in any new AC game is change high profile/climb wall to Right Click. who ever @ubisoft thought "shift" to run and climb the wall was good idea hasn't played the game on PC, how can you even run and look behind at the same time if you have Shift to run ? it's not gta, you actually have to climb the walls and change the camera angle and in turn change Wasd accordingly, you can do that if you have right click to run a the old AC games.

Yes agreed, the best profile for controls is the old one since AC1, i always change controls to that profile because it works best for AC games. however, removing unsafe jumps is really annoying since now you have less control on the character and can only navigate through certain paths without taking any risk of falling, this breaks the flow of parkouring, not sure why the sudden change and i really hope it get patched to reinstate unsafe jumps as its one of the core mechanics of the game.

strigoi1958
12-18-2015, 01:26 PM
I like shift for run as it is the same in all games except shadow of mordor where the combinations start getting tricky. my 3 middle fingers sit perfectly on A W D and my little finger sits on shift with my thumb on the spacebar. The only problems I have at present is in Rainbow 6 siege the grenade key is G and Melee is V so both require a glance at the keyboard and to lay down is Ctrl which I can accidental press while running...

BUT this may all suit me because I am left handed so that may be the reason.... it would be interesting to know left handed / right handed people are affected in different ways... for me, having a controller with buttons under the right thumb makes a controller impossible... the same with a gaming mouse all the extra buttons are under the right (wrong ;) ) thumb.

YazX_
12-18-2015, 01:39 PM
I like shift for run as it is the same in all games except shadow of mordor where the combinations start getting tricky. my 3 middle fingers sit perfectly on A W D and my little finger sits on shift with my thumb on the spacebar. The only problems I have at present is in Rainbow 6 siege the grenade key is G and Melee is V so both require a glance at the keyboard and to lay down is Ctrl which I can accidental press while running...

BUT this may all suit me because I am left handed so that may be the reason.... it would be interesting to know left handed / right handed people are affected in different ways... for me, having a controller with buttons under the right thumb makes a controller impossible... the same with a gaming mouse all the extra buttons are under the right (wrong ;) ) thumb.

but there are gaming mouses for left-handed people, they have the whole layout switched to match your left hand, have you checked them out?

strigoi1958
12-18-2015, 01:44 PM
yes but after so many many years using a mouse right handed it is all automatic for me now :) I don't think I could adapt my right hand to the keyboard.

Rohith_Kumar_Sp
12-18-2015, 02:06 PM
you also have to account for people with long fingers who can't press Shift and use WASD, for example, i wont use W and S at the same time, so when i turn my camera other way around i use "S" so that i can see behind while i am running forward, i can only do this if my running action/high profile is set to right click and not shift, i can't possibly hold shift and move my middle finger to S from W to run forward and see behind at the same time, just not possible,

this is ok for running and stuff like GTA, but in AC where you have to climb things and stuff, it's impossible to hold shift and do the rest of the actions without hurting my fingers

YazX_
12-18-2015, 06:07 PM
you also have to account for people with longs fingers who can't press **** and use WASD, for example, if wont use W and S at the same time, so when i turn my camera other way around i use "S" so that i can see behind while i am running forward, i can only do this if my running action/high profile is set to right click and not shft, i can't possible hold shift and move my middle finger to S from W to run forward and see behind at the same time, just not possible,

this is ok for running and stuff like GTA, but in AC where you have to climb things and stuff, it's impossible to hold shift and do the rest of the actions without hurting my fingers

exactly, there are too many keys to press while running to do alot of actions, so to guarantee a smooth transition between all and have a good flow, it must be right click to run.

Frag_Maniac
12-18-2015, 09:34 PM
Now and then I do notice Evie or Jacob momentarily moving opposite a direction I choose, but it's usually due to the direction they're lined up before initiating it. It's a common problem with a lot of 3rd person games made for analog toggles of gamepads. I call it the loop around effect. There's no immediate turning 180 if faced one way, and when trying to move them the other, they loop around in an arc instead of a quick turn. If on precarious surfaces that can result in them moving directly the wrong way momentarily vs arcing.

As far as L Shift vs RMB though, what bothers me more is this E vs Space thing for descent or climb freerunning. It often disrupts the flow of parkour, and there are many times what appears to be an E or Space necessary input ends up being the opposite. Have any of you noticed some of the rooftop parkour chases lately end with the target just stopping at one point to assure you'll catch them? In Unity they usually did it via a Eagle Vision search area, but in Syndicate there are times when the person will just stop and stand their ground on a certain roof. That to me is a clear sign this new system did not fare well for many in play testing, yet they kept it anyway.

I also agree completely on there needing to be fall consequences, or at least the option to disable auto stop on edges of rooftops. A lot of older titles just had a better style and look, especially AC2. The outfits, the animations, the parkour. Just not the same anymore.

DazKRaptorSquad
12-19-2015, 01:37 AM
Thanks for the reply, sorry just for slow response just got up a while ago in Australia ;-)

I can't remember as far back as AC1 what the key mappings were. Yeah I really haven't enjoyed the "parkour" adaptation but I am also 49 so less adaptable to these changes. For me it just seems that the devs haven't played the game the whole way through to find these issues. Like Unity it detracts from the game when you know what to do but can't execute it seamlessly with the controls. This is undoubtedly the most immersion breaking and frustrating thing for me.

DazKRaptorSquad
12-19-2015, 01:38 AM
Yes the sitting vulture like on a wall when you just want to hop down behind it drives me crazy as you then invariably get detected.

DazKRaptorSquad
12-19-2015, 01:41 AM

That's funny had never thought of that issue. Yeah I generally re-map the keys for all the games I play, DAI was a must as the original layout was terrible. I think Crysis was the same using the "V" key for melee and yes I am not confident enough to not have to look at the keyboard and so often miss even the "R" button in ACS.

DazKRaptorSquad
12-19-2015, 01:42 AM
I had to use the mouse left handed for a while, I think it lasted about 30 minutes ;-)

DazKRaptorSquad
12-19-2015, 01:46 AM
you also have to account for people with long fingers who can't press Shift and use WASD, for example, i wont use W and S at the same time, so when i turn my camera other way around i use "S" so that i can see behind while i am running forward, i can only do this if my running action/high profile is set to right click and not shift, i can't possibly hold shift and move my middle finger to S from W to run forward and see behind at the same time, just not possible,

I can't remember if it was Revelations or Brotherhood but one of those was a freakin nightmare of finger gymnastics. There was one challenge that for me was impossible on the keyboard, the one where you had to chase some German guy through an open mine with water wheels etc, climbing jumping swinging and all the while being attacked and shot at - aaaaaggghhhh :-)

DazKRaptorSquad
12-19-2015, 03:32 AM
Now and then I do notice Evie or Jacob momentarily moving opposite a direction I choose, but it's usually due to the direction they're lined up before initiating it. It's a common problem with a lot of 3rd person games made for analog toggles of gamepads. I call it the loop around effect. There's no immediate turning 180 if faced one way, and when trying to move them the other, they loop around in an arc instead of a quick turn. If on precarious surfaces that can result in them moving directly the wrong way momentarily vs arcing.

As far as L Shift vs RMB though, what bothers me more is this E vs Space thing for decent or climb freerunning. It often disrupts the flow of parkour, and there are many times what appears to be an E or Space necessary input ends up being the opposite. Have any of you noticed some of the rooftop parkour chases lately end with the target just stopping at one point to assure you'll catch them? In Unity they usually did it via a Eagle Vision search area, but in Syndicate there are times when the person will just stop and stand their ground on a certain roof. That to me is a clear sign this new system did not fare well for many in play testing, yet they kept it anyway.

I also agree completely on there needing to be fall consequences, or at least the option to disable auto stop on edges of rooftops. A lot of older titles just had a better style and look, especially AC2. The outfits, the animations, the parkour. Just not the same anymore.

Totally agree with all you said and thanks for the explanation re why the movement is an issue for the keyboard and mouse. Yeah I am still trying to get my head round the "E" and "Space" thing, you are right it is disruptive and I find I often have to actually think about it rather than just doing it.

DazKRaptorSquad
12-20-2015, 05:54 AM
Had another good one today. Doing a cargo hijack I got up onto the roof ("R") finished shooting pursuers the game prompted to hit "E" to drive but instead sent me flying off the cart 20 metres away from the hijack vehicle. End of mission. It is this sought of thing that is frustrating and in all honesty except to get loyalty and money they had zero fun value for me.

Frag_Maniac
12-20-2015, 06:53 AM
Doing a cargo hijack I got up onto the roof ("R") finished shooting pursuers the game prompted to hit "E" to drive but instead sent me flying off the cart 20 metres away from the hijack vehicle.

Only time I've had that happen is when purposely trying to jump to the roof of a nearby carriage, which you use L Shift for. Maybe you inadvertently pressed L Shift like while sprinting. That kind of thing can be a conditioned response.

The carriage to carriage hop animation seems a bit quirky though. I don't know if you're supposed to get a prompt when close enough, but sometimes it works fine even with no prompt, and sometimes you get catapulted off like you described.

DazKRaptorSquad
12-20-2015, 10:48 PM
Only time I've had that happen is when purposely trying to jump to the roof of a nearby carriage, which you use L Shift for. Maybe you inadvertently pressed L Shift like while sprinting. That kind of thing can be a conditioned response.

The carriage to carriage hop animation seems a bit quirky though. I don't know if you're supposed to get a prompt when close enough, but sometimes it works fine even with no prompt, and sometimes you get catapulted off like you described.

Yeah I have inadvertently hit the wrong button before but this was not one of those situations, I simply hit "E" and definitely not at the same time as "Shift". I also did a carriage race and I rammed another competitor and he flew out of the seat like 10 metres, two seconds later he's back riding beside me and crashes and rams me into a tree which my horse became permanently embedded in.

In all honesty, chasing people on foot and in the carriages I really hated and the game had far too much of it. If I want o play a stupid racing game and knock things over and crash into stuff I'd play Mario Kart. I almost punched my screen when I decided to do the Queen Victoria mission after completion because guess what, another foot chase that you can't win till the game lets you and then I go to do the next one and it's a bloody timed carriage race.

gajraj-TFG
12-21-2015, 12:34 PM
Yes agreed, the best profile for controls is the old one since AC1, i always change controls to that profile because it works best for AC games. however, removing unsafe jumps is really annoying since now you have less control on the character and can only navigate through certain paths without taking any risk of falling, this breaks the flow of parkouring, not sure why the sudden change and i really hope it get patched to reinstate unsafe jumps as its one of the core mechanics of the game.

I have always played AC Games with RMB,it feels so good maybe it is because I am lefty.But the control schemes of AC:IV and previous games were so good.

bustin-ya
12-28-2015, 05:14 PM
Had another good one today. Doing a cargo hijack I got up onto the roof ("R") finished shooting pursuers the game prompted to hit "E" to drive but instead sent me flying off the cart 20 metres away from the hijack vehicle. End of mission. It is this sought of thing that is frustrating and in all honesty except to get loyalty and money they had zero fun value for me.

Same here, (many times). This game plays better than unity but still way too many glitches. I don't even know why its called assassins creed anymore.
Seem your always just searching for chests or driving around crowed streets. Not really enough Assassinating. Also i don't recall having these control issues with other games such as moldor, guildwars skyrim dragon age or many others. But its seems assassins has always been a bit jerky on controlling your subject. JMO :)

Holmindeboks
12-28-2015, 06:26 PM
an option to skip a mission would be nice, example an option you can skip 5 missions total. and if you want to skip another then you have to complete 1 previous mission to make place for another.
this way you can continue the story mode without frustrating and being angry for that time that you cant complete a mission.
sometimes you have difficult missions or the controls are not good for you.
so if you can go further in story mode so you keep having fun, without leaving the game for a long time when angry.
this way you dont get hate for those games, and you keep buying titles :D

yes you understand me. :D

GhostAssassinLT
12-29-2015, 09:39 AM
Practise makes perfect as they say, besides you can always go to youtube and search for videos that show you how other people have managed to complete the missions.