PDA

View Full Version : A Real AC moment felt in the new DLC

ShadoeKat
12-18-2015, 04:25 AM
I just must say first, outside of the Jack the Ripper storyf, the DLC felt more like an AC game than Syndicate itself. But there was one moment that actually made me feel that feeling I got the first time I played AC. When that feeling hits you that you've entered into another world... that moment is in this game. And it's funny, because Syndicate and Unity kept us locked to a city. All AC games before gave us a huge palette. Granted some did it better than others, but having a whole new world open up to you in some other place than where you started is quite magical. In the Ripper DLC there is a moment like that when Evie jumps off the train.... I don't want to say more, I don't want to spoil it for folks. But all I can say is once Evie hit the ground, the whole feeling of the game changed. And Evie does kick butt and surely seems like more of an assassin to me than her brother.

The DLC seems so much more inspired and the atmosphere is darker. Feels a lot more AC than the last few games. I do hope that stays in the next game. Really cool visuals, movement, etc in the DLC. Ubi, thanks for that moment of magic that made me feel AC again... can you grab that and put it into the next game please?

I haven't finished the DLC yet, but just wanted to say there is a real AC moment in it and that got me a bit excited again for AC.

And let me just say to Ubi, thank you, thank you, thank you for fixing the parkour movement in the DLC. In the main game the stopping me from jumping to another building etc just was gawd awful. Unity didn't do that, you could get a decent flow. The DLC is allowing that again and it feels smoother. I also feel as a player it is nice to have this control because getting the parkour mechanics down takes skill and it's a challenge for us as players. Also makes ya feel more like an assassin.

cawatrooper9
12-18-2015, 03:52 PM
I know exactly what you're referring to, and I totally agree. It's a shame we so rarely get to leave the cities now.

orionsrise
12-19-2015, 07:26 AM
I have to agree with the both of you here. Even though London is by far the largest city explored to date, it still feels incredibly constricted because all the world is there in that ONE city. Bigger city doesn't equal a bigger sandbox sometimes.

Megas_Doux
12-19-2015, 03:26 PM
I have to agree with the both of you here. Even though London is by far the largest city explored to date, it still feels incredibly constricted because all the world is there in that ONE city. Bigger city doesn't equal a bigger sandbox sometimes.

The problem is not that there's only one location only. I mean, GTA V has only Los Santos....The thing is that Los Santos has a rural area full of mountains and such that contrast with the urban environments.

Could you imagine that in Unity, instead of of Versailles, aka little Paris, we had a countryside with a forest and even a chateu in the mountains:

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gc/500079515-france-vienne-bonnes-chateau-de-touffou-on-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=6WSFc6yV%2B34JcgpJpqWoO%2BuLe64sdckq4mFNU7OQYYOW %2FtVq65%2F%2FM%2FvkMdgOYYXf8ADx4ZscRcyJ4f6Ou6Y%2B KQ%3D%3D

Or that in Syndicate -Love London- , you took the train to this place to kill any given templar bastard hiding there:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0e/Arundel_Castle_-West_Sussex%2C_England-2Feb2014.jpg

LoyalACFan
12-19-2015, 04:52 PM
Yeah, I'm a bit tired of being stuck in one city myself. I think we might be on the tail end of that pattern though, because they're kind of running out of the "iconic" cities that people are always clamoring for. Not to say that there aren't still plenty of cities ripe for the AC treatment, but there are none that I can think of that would be immediately recognizable enough to be the "star" in the same sense that the last few have been. I mean, London, Paris, Rome, and Istanbul are relatively unmatched in the popular imagination. I guess maybe Cairo/Memphis could work, strictly because the only things most people want from an Egypt game are the pyramids and Great Sphinx, but even then, I don't think people will go "oh my god, it's Paris!" they same way they would say "oh my God, it's Rome!" or what have you.

That said, I don't think a Rome rerun is out of the question if they go back to the time of the Republic/Empire. It would be a very different Rome than the one we got in Brotherhood.

SearStingray157
12-20-2015, 12:11 AM
I too think the DLC is awesome (only a couple of hours on it yet) and I whish the rest of syndicate would have been more like this (though - for the most part I liked syndicate, except for some of Jacobs missions, they really sucked)

ShadoeKat
12-20-2015, 12:50 AM
Could you imagine that in Unity, instead of of Versailles, aka little Paris, we had a countryside with a forest and even a chateu in the mountains:

Yes, that would have been awesome. Just like when Evie hit the snow after jumping from the train it was a very magical moment for me. I know they stick to cities for the buildings and climbing but being landlocked to only a city and nothing else is not good.There was always a sense of wonder when you watched a new area of the map open up and then it was time to explore. Good times, good times.