PDA

View Full Version : Feedback : future game mechanics/features

sharpblade1508
12-16-2015, 06:58 PM
I'm making this thread for anyone who has ideas for future mechanics or features to be added to the series. A lot of stuff gets added in that we don't ask for, or more annoyingly things that we DO ask for, are never added in. Hoping Ubisoft sees this and takes some of the feedback from it.

Note: This is not for suggesting future time periods or plot ideas, just game play features and mechanics

Okay I'll get this started

Hood toggle: We've been asking for this for years and Ubi has been seemingly insistent on never giving the player full control over whether they get to wear the hood or not(no, restricting it to crouching is not full control) despite them knowing this is highly requested (just do it already Ubisoft, please). This could be a simple add by replacing the "center camera" function on the right stick with this. I've been a regular poster on another thread on these forums regarding the hood, Ubi knows we want this.

Centering the camera: The way it's done now is essentially useless. We can center the camera on our own by rotating the right stick, we don't need to click the button to center the camera. Save that for something people actually want (hood toggle). I didn't even know that clicking the button did anything until a few months ago, that's how useless that feature is. That said, here's a better way for the camera to "auto center". If the player is walking or in stealth mode (crouching) the camera stays at whatever angle you set it to. However if the player enters high profile mode, or sprinting (which is in high profile) the camera auto centers behind the player.

Navigation (rope launcher): This was so helpful in Syndicate, I can't stress this enough. I think some iteration of this feature should be a staple of the series from now on. Granted it'll have to change based on time periods of games since grapple launchers didn't exist in all time periods. Maybe a grappling hook that the character has as something they throw if the game is set further back in time? I'm thinking along the lines of the grappling hook in Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker.

Stealth mode: First, as I'm a big hood lover, don't restrict the hood to stealth only as I said earlier. Two, I love the stealth mode (crouching function) pretty much as is, however I personally would like it to go back to how it was with Unity with the cover system, as in I want cover to be manual again. The automatic cover in Syndicate just felt, idk, weird to use for me. Maybe I'm the only one here, but cover felt better when I had to control it.

Now I open this up to anyone else who wants to add anything.

BlackSassyWolf
12-16-2015, 07:29 PM
Hmm......I'd love to see the kidnap feature again, since it makes sense that an Assassin would do such a thing if they can't kill a target without drawing attention.
The rope launcher, I'd also love to see again. As for the hood toggle.....I really don't understand why something like this wasn't available in Syndicate, especially for Jacob. I mean, there he is running around in a top hat and decides to go into stealth mode.....where the hell does his hat go? In his pocket. It's just plain stupid on Ubi's part.

cawatrooper9
12-16-2015, 08:21 PM
Dual/multiple protagonists- If the series does this again (and I hope they do), I'd much prefer to switch protagonists on the fly rather through a menu, and I'd also like to see many more missions where both protagonists are needed and able to be uses. Perhaps (and it truly pains me to say this) Ubisoft could look to GTA V for inspiration on this.

Timeshifts- Kind of like a mixture between the rifts and dual protagonists, this idea draws inspiration from the original intent that Unity was supposed to feature Assassins throughout many eras of Paris's history. We could see a non-linear story, continually jumping between protagonists during different times, and sometimes the actions of one Assassin in the past were necessary for a future one's success. I'd like to shift between Assassins on the fly, both in missions when relevant and in free roam at will.

For instance (and this is certainly not canon)- Assassin A in 1936 travels to the construction site of the Taj Mahal, and stealth kills some Templars there. Assassin B in the late 1860s near the beginning of the Raj, leads a small group of protesters near the site. The protesters create a diversion, as Assassin B sneaks into the monument. Shift to Assassin C in 1643, at the Taj Mahal during its construction, sneaking onto the site to try to hide an Apple of Eden in the Taj Mahal. Shift back to the 1860s, where Assassin B grabs the Apple, but drops it into a crack in the floor while trying to escape. Shift now to Assassin D in 458 B.C., who discovers an ancient temple to Juno in a cave beneath the area that would eventually house the Taj Mahal (given the culture that he comes from, he'd attribute a different name to Juno- perhaps Lakshmi). Now, shift back to Assassin C, who discovers markings left by Assassin D indicating the location of the Temple- shift to Assassin A, who discovers memoirs from Assassin C about the temple as well, then proceeds to go down and retrieve the POE that B dropped down there over half a century earlier.

Obviously, it could get confusing, but it would be so cool seeing how the Assassins actions affect the course of history over time in a nonlinear format like this.

sharpblade1508
12-17-2015, 01:36 AM
Dual/multiple protagonists- If the series does this again (and I hope they do), I'd much prefer to switch protagonists on the fly rather through a menu, and I'd also like to see many more missions where both protagonists are needed and able to be uses. Perhaps (and it truly pains me to say this) Ubisoft could look to GTA V for inspiration on this.

Timeshifts- Kind of like a mixture between the rifts and dual protagonists, this idea draws inspiration from the original intent that Unity was supposed to feature Assassins throughout many eras of Paris's history. We could see a non-linear story, continually jumping between protagonists during different times, and sometimes the actions of one Assassin in the past were necessary for a future one's success. I'd like to shift between Assassins on the fly, both in missions when relevant and in free roam at will.

For instance (and this is certainly not canon)- Assassin A in 1936 travels to the construction site of the Taj Mahal, and stealth kills some Templars there. Assassin B in the late 1860s near the beginning of the Raj, leads a small group of protesters near the site. The protesters create a diversion, as Assassin B sneaks into the monument. Shift to Assassin C in 1643, at the Taj Mahal during its construction, sneaking onto the site to try to hide an Apple of Eden in the Taj Mahal. Shift back to the 1860s, where Assassin B grabs the Apple, but drops it into a crack in the floor while trying to escape. Shift now to Assassin D in 458 B.C., who discovers an ancient temple to Juno in a cave beneath the area that would eventually house the Taj Mahal (given the culture that he comes from, he'd attribute a different name to Juno- perhaps Lakshmi). Now, shift back to Assassin C, who discovers markings left by Assassin D indicating the location of the Temple- shift to Assassin A, who discovers memoirs from Assassin C about the temple as well, then proceeds to go down and retrieve the POE that B dropped down there over half a century earlier.

Obviously, it could get confusing, but it would be so cool seeing how the Assassins actions affect the course of history over time in a nonlinear format like this.

I agree that could be confusing to some (I had no trouble following it though). But that would be really cool, it creates a sort of suspense of what it is that's going on, and over jumps between centuries, even millennia, it all comes together. It's sort of a story puzzle.

Sesheenku
12-17-2015, 04:20 AM
Disagree with the rope launcher 100%.

Think about it. It wasn't necessary in Unity because the buildings were always close enough that the flow wasn't broken HOWEVER London had wide streets. It NEEDED the rope launcher because otherwise it was gonna be another 3 parkour wise.

3 needed something like that.

Future installments will only need such a device if the buildings are far apart like 18th century America or 19th century London.

Hood toggle should definitely be a standard feature now.

Agree with stealth too.

Parkour needs some fine tweaking as well. I noticed it was extremely difficult to wall eject at times. It's too restrictive at times and sometimes doesn't work right like when trying to go into a window.

NOTE -> The parkour does not need another reimagining, it's fantastic but it does need to split the difference between ac2-acr era parkour and the new parkour. It needs just a touch more control. I hate when I'm just trying to wall eject between two posts and Arno/Jacob/Evie just sitting there looking at me like "what do?"

Combat needs to split the difference between Unity and syndicate.

Syndicates is too easy, Unity's has too many ways that you can die in seconds.

Gun damage is more manageable in Syndicate but if you just tap the attack button everything goes down.

Unity's gun damage is waaaay too high, all the enemies ranged options are severely op or severely annoying. However the standard combat is great, enemies require thought most of the time, they'll block "telegraphed" attacks most of the time.

We need the basic combat of Unity with a nerf to enemy ranged options and ranged attack power.

crusader_prophet
12-17-2015, 05:27 AM
- Remove counter kills - they are too easy.
- Introduce timed parry and timed dodging to avoid damage and not inflict damage.
- Add Block mechanic to avoid damage for lower level enemies and according to physics of the weapon and enemy level.
- Hire better engineers who can design better enemy AI (at least at par with Destiny, Bloodborne, Dark Souls if not better)
- Add Jump, Slide, Roll, Dodge, vault/flips during combat and create combos/special attacks if player attacks the enemy during the animations.
- Introduce a re-spawn restricted zone if got detected during a mission, and let players use their available distraction techniques, skills and environment to disappear in plain sight. Once incognito, open up the world to escape as they do now.
- Retain the combined combat (secondary weapon and primary weapon combinations) such as the fancy moves perk in AC:S
- Introduce Prolonged parries.
- Retain Kicks, punches, stuns (using weapons) to inflict damage.
- Retain multi-finishers
- Take away abuse of Eagle Vision - Retain inability to use Eagle Vision during sprinting. Introduce constraints of using Eagle vision such as, full sync, style of gameplay, recent events impacting assassin's concentration, surroundings, experience level, introduce an option to turn off tagging enemies through walls instead encourage players to focus on direction of AI voice, foot steps, breathing if in close vicinity of enemy
- Retain whistling,
- Re-introduce fast move on foot. I am happy with the extent of trigger proportionality with vehicle speed introduced in ACS and should be retained.
- Eavesdropping, under-water swimming for stealth with timer for breath, retain crowd, bench stealth. Re-introduce engaging in social activities (cutting wood, making tea, etc) for stealth.
- Retain kidnap, non-lethal takedown,
- Re-introduce different tactical bomb crafting and this time make use of them.
- Lockpicking in AC 3 style with lockpicks as an inventory item in ACU

Edit: I am going to keep updating this list :)

RVSage
12-17-2015, 05:42 AM
- Remove counter kills - they are too easy.
- Introduce timed parry and timed dodging to avoid damage and not inflict damage.
- Add Block mechanic to avoid damage for lower level enemies and according to physics of the weapon and enemy level.
- Hire better engineers who can design better enemy AI (at least at par with Destiny, Bloodborne, Dark Souls if not better)
- Add Jump, Slide, Roll, Dodge, vault/flips during combat and create combos/special attacks if player attacks the enemy during the animations.
- Introduce a re-spawn restricted zone if got detected during a mission, and let players use their available distraction techniques, skills and environment to disappear in plain sight. Once incognito, open up the world to escape as they do now.
- Retain the combined combat (secondary weapon and primary weapon combinations) such as the fancy moves perk in AC:S
- Introduce Prolonged parries.
- Retain Kicks, punches, stuns (using weapons) to inflict damage.
- Retain multi-finishers

this is exactly what I hope for too

crusader_prophet
12-17-2015, 06:08 AM
Syndicates is too easy, Unity's has too many ways that you can die in seconds. We need the basic combat of Unity with a nerf to enemy ranged options and ranged attack power.

AC franchise is the easiest action game out there, and you want to nerf it? When did you die in Unity in seconds? You could easily dodge the bullets even with HUD off. No NERFING! The only place where I have faced challenge in AC franchise ever were the two final legendary ship battles in AC Black Flag and AC Rogue. I think that is what each mini boss or templar should be like but not necessarily just brute force but combine all skills of player into one path towards assassination. If you played the recent Destiny raids you would know.

briangade
12-17-2015, 06:11 AM
The thing I would like to change most have to be enemy AI,it has never been that good but I have seen no improvements in a very long time.
A more robust stealth system would also be very nice.the parkour system is in my eyes good enough as is.
This might just be me,but I quite liked the disguise system from Liberation(and Aveline is my 2nd favorite assassin),so I think it would be cool if they did somthing with that system.Especially if we move more into the modern era.

D.I.D.
12-17-2015, 06:19 AM
Liberating London was much more fun for me than it might have been because I did it right at the beginning of the game instead of doing story. If I'd come to do that later, with Skills, new equipment and other Perks, I think it would have been significantly less interesting (I don't even get the rope launcher until the game forced me to). Later Skills made us perhaps a little too powerful. Particularly with regard to...

... Those early opportunities to get the Gang Boss before the scheduled War. This is one of my favourite things in Syndicate. People were begging after Shadow Of Mordor for AC to steal the Vigilante system, which of course it can't do because that system relies upon an undead hero who can be killed and then reappear. The only way it could work would be if captain characters could be carried away by their underlings when wounded, and if you didn't prevent their escape then they'd heal and come back with a grudge. Syndicate's early opportunity on those Bosses was wonderful, as an event which could go 'wrong' without it being a failure or go right and reward you with a simple final fight to clear the borough (although again, so much better when you're relatively un-upgraded). I hope this gets expanded and deepened. SoM's captains would show signs of the wounds you'd dealt them in previous encounters, have unique dialogue to reflect what's happened when you've crossed paths previously, and throw you and captains together at seemingly random times. This, please.

Can we try a swinging rope? I don't know if it was ditched early of if you still intend to include it, but Rise of the Tomb Raider appears to have a working one.

Kidnap's good. I assume that one's staying anyway. The sheer range of medium rank Templars to take down in Syndicate was great, as was the range of serving suggestions and places to find them.

Some outfits with no hood please. Just nice clothes that fit the time period, as an option, unencumbered by an incongruous hood. Also make hidden blades hidden. That mechanism is said to be about 3.5 inches long, so please pair us up with a Leonardo who can make a slim, elegant blade that's actually hidden invisibly inside the sleeve of a well-tailored coat.

More theatres, more music halls, more places we can visit (even if/especially if they're not directly mission-related). A few more places you might just choose to go and check out.

Civona
12-17-2015, 07:46 PM
more limited climbing abilities that mean you have to plan your escape routes better, and also mean that designers can create obstacles for the player with less contrivance. Like, I'm talking about it being very clear to the player from looking at a surface if they can climb it or not, and for that visual language to be super important to the gameplay. Because right now there seem to be basically no rules for climbing except "you can climb everything except when you can't for no reason"

m4r-k7
12-17-2015, 08:59 PM
The way they introduced the rope launcher was so ridiculous if they want to put it in every game from now on. For example, if it was a feature that was now going to be present, surely they would have introduced it in a way that gives it some historical context such as a first civ document or invention Da Vinci invented rather than it being the grapple part of a (somehow 19th century Batman) grapple gun that was just disassembled and somehow attached to the hidden blade gauntlet! If they go back in time, how will they explain it?

It is only needed for a city like London with large streets. If we go back to cities like the ones in AC 1 (which I really really really want) it won't be needed.

Climbing and free running needs to be made smoother and less sticky.

raytrek79
12-17-2015, 09:32 PM
There are a lot of things I'd like to see such as not being allowed to kill cops, as we have seen in some missions, the blue combatants should basically be good guys who will attack you if you do something hostile but like how killing civilians threatens desynchrinisation "Assassin's didn't kill civilians" cops or blue soldiers should be the same, but with an option to take them down with non lethal actions.

Second is when you do high profile anti social actions, like killing reds, looting them and looting chests, civilian witnesses yell "Thief" or "Murder" cops actually respond and come running to the scene, just so it shuts down your ability to be too exposed to the public. The Creed after all is about hiding in plain sight and not drawing attention, the fact you can basically wreak havoc in broad daylight on a crowded street and hang about afterwards to raid corpses is a bit defiant of sense.

You could add that when you flee a scene the witnesses point in the direction they seen you go and cops head that way to investigate.

raytrek79
12-17-2015, 10:18 PM

If you want to look at multiple protags, it makes me think of Revelations where you recruit and assign them to lead a Den. You could have an Assassin per borough, they could cross into other jurisdictions but with some kind of disadvantage where working in their own borough provides them something special.

cawatrooper9
12-17-2015, 10:36 PM
If you want to look at multiple protags, it makes me think of Revelations where you recruit and assign them to lead a Den. You could have an Assassin per borough, they could cross into other jurisdictions but with some kind of disadvantage where working in their own borough provides them something special.

That could be an interesting idea!

raytrek79
12-17-2015, 10:37 PM
The way they introduced the rope launcher was so ridiculous if they want to put it in every game from now on. For example, if it was a feature that was now going to be present, surely they would have introduced it in a way that gives it some historical context such as a first civ document or invention Da Vinci invented rather than it being the grapple part of a (somehow 19th century Batman) grapple gun that was just disassembled and somehow attached to the hidden blade gauntlet! If they go back in time, how will they explain it?

It is only needed for a city like London with large streets. If we go back to cities like the ones in AC 1 (which I really really really want) it won't be needed.

Climbing and free running needs to be made smoother and less sticky.

The grapple very much speeds the game up, with other games in the series I don't think there was more content so much as fulfilling it took longer. We seen the parachute for Ezio which made huge difference but has since been forgotten to history. The grapple wouldn't necessarily need to be as high tech as the Syndicate version if they want to take the idea back in time, a similar result could come from a modified crossbow or they could even introduce a first civilization device.

raytrek79
12-17-2015, 10:59 PM
That could be an interesting idea!

I think that time shift idea is awesome. I remember playing a game called Soul Reaver, Legacy of Kain, it had a feature where you could be a physical being or spectral, the world would change depending on what state you were in add you could access places not possible in the other state. The idea of drawing on information from different eras to assist exploration would be meta fourth wall. The thing about reliving memories of ancestors is you do things they probably didn't, like collecting helix glitches, assassinating some random roof guard, walking up every alleyway in the city, etc. you could feasibly explore things they didn't, or know to look places they couldn't know to look. The way the "Gift" Eagle Vision may work is subconsciously it still sees things they didn't notice themselves even though it imprinted on their genetic memory. Humans do absorb heaps of information but our brains dismiss most of it, we only keep what we focus on, but apparently hypnosis can make you see things you didn't notice.

Sesheenku
12-18-2015, 03:42 AM
AC franchise is the easiest action game out there, and you want to nerf it? When did you die in Unity in seconds? You could easily dodge the bullets even with HUD off. No NERFING! The only place where I have faced challenge in AC franchise ever were the two final legendary ship battles in AC Black Flag and AC Rogue. I think that is what each mini boss or templar should be like but not necessarily just brute force but combine all skills of player into one path towards assassination. If you played the recent Destiny raids you would know.

Yes I want to nerf being shot and being able to do nothing about it.

Dear keep it down I can rape DMC and harder crap. Didn't you just suggest AC take something from that mediocre wannabe FPS MMO Destiny? Oh my...

There's hard and then there's BS. Getting shot and having no defense is BS when it takes 25% of your health. If I want to play frustrating I'll play any DMC without jump cancelling.

Get your pretentious lying *** outta here. If you don't see the red mark and they're off screen it's literally impossible to dodge unless you're a mutant and you can see past the screen. You sound like a 12 year old trying to sound superior but you just ended up sounding pathetic.

LOL The ships were challenging for you? Just quit playing games. All you had to do was maneuver properly and shred the damn thing at the appropriate "equipment level" for the ship.

I don't play Destiny, they're total noobs at making an MMO experience. It's average at best and being average is the greatest disgrace of all. Assassins Creed has also been disgracefully average at times.

Try not to talk down to me, if you think Destiny is worthy of any praise then you don't have the right.

Bungie is just another ****** triple A company that makes average experiences ignoring the far better total experiences or at least ideas that have come before them cause their heads fatter than a whale, their existence disgusts me and it further disgusts me my fellow human beings could call their games more than average. Ugh just puked in my mouth a little bit.

Play a wider scope of MMO's and then MAYBE you'll be on my level and you'll be able to talk to me about MMO's whether they be online console FPS ordeals or one of the other various sub genres of MMO's.

D.I.D.
12-18-2015, 05:52 AM
There's hard and then there's BS. Getting shot and having no defense is BS when it takes 25% of your health. If I want to play frustrating I'll play any DMC without jump cancelling.

It's fair enough to have situations that are impossible in order to turn the situation into a problem-solving one. Okay, you got shot by someone you couldn't see, so where were they? Who else is in a similar position? That's a normal thing for games, and it's not BS (no more than an ability to dodge bullets would be BS).

HailStorm_666
12-18-2015, 06:04 AM
As far as things from previous installments that should return (but better)

- Investigations, along with an option to overlay what you've gleaned on your map (something AC1 seriously needed).

- A notoriety system, revamped as more of reputation system with perks and drawbacks depending on whether you want to be feared/notorious or totally unknown.

- Bomb crafting. Setting traps and ambushes in general should really be a bigger feature of the games.

- A Persona System like in Liberation, absolutely.

- Interrogating.

Other things I wouldn't mind...

- All assassinations should be high profile by default with silent, covert kills being something more difficult to execute and requiring a bit of careful timing and precision on your part.

- Throwing a knife should work like firing a swivel shot in AC3. It's quick and easy but gets harder the further away your target is.

- Eagle vision should inform you who's a threat and who isn't. That doesn't necessarily mean all guards are your enemy, or that some civilians won't get hostile.

- Managing your weapons inventory. You shouldn't be able to carry every weapon you own all at once.