PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed Syndicate Russian localisation and transphobia

killwebromance
12-15-2015, 10:30 PM
Hi! I don't know how to contact the developers so I've decided to post a thread here. Surely I could write to Russian team but idk if they readdressed this message to the developers.

As a part of Russian LGBTQ+ community I'm pleased that you've included a trans character in the new Assassin's Creed game but our translators got the message wrong. Let me explain.

This is a Ned Wynert profile from the English version of the game.

http://savepic.su/6707487.png

And there is his profile from the Russian game.

http://savepic.su/6716703.png

They are quite similar, except for one thing. In Russian version Ned Wynert is addressed as ‘she’. 'He must have been quite a fan of rain’ = 'She must have been quite a fan of rain’ and so on. So, instead of showing Ned as a transgender character, Russian translaters have turned him into a 'female in male clothes’.

I can even find the logic in this translation (well, I live in Russia). They probably thought that the audience would accept a female in male clothes but not a transgender.

Could something be done with it? Maybe a warning or a note to the Russian team?

TreadLife
12-15-2015, 11:44 PM
It's certainly strange to have such a simple discrepancy between languages. But, was such a surgery even possible back then? Far as I know, I don't think it was. The description only mentions leaving the female persona behind. So it seems, in game reality, Ned is a female in male clothing and persona.
Guess it is up to how Shawn, or whatever character supposedly wrote that bio, to show how they view this person's circumstances.

killwebromance
12-16-2015, 06:22 AM
It's certainly strange to have such a simple discrepancy between languages. But, was such a surgery even possible back then? Far as I know, I don't think it was. The description only mentions leaving the female persona behind. So it seems, in game reality, Ned is a female in male clothing and persona.
Guess it is up to how Shawn, or whatever character supposedly wrote that bio, to show how they view this person's circumstances.

The thing is that you don't have to be operated to be transgender. By using 'he' Shaun is indeed implying that Ned wasn't a 'female in male clothes' but a transgender. Also, I guess, it's what Ubisoft team wants Ned to be? There are many articles about 'Assassin’s Creed‘s First Transgender Character', and developers don't seem to mind.

GhostAssassinLT
12-16-2015, 06:50 AM
Perhaps it's not a mistake, but rather a "politically correct" phrasing? I mean, Russia isn't known for it's pro HBTQ laws, so perhaps Ubisoft is trying not to get banned in Russia... :cool:

killwebromance
12-16-2015, 08:17 AM
Perhaps it's not a mistake, but rather a "politically correct" phrasing? I mean, Russia isn't known for it's pro HBTQ laws, so perhaps Ubisoft is trying not to get banned in Russia... :cool:

That's not how laws work in Russia :) LGBT+ media is quite safe here unless somebody makes a complaint or this particular book/game/TV-series/etc is messing with government plans. Plus, these laws are against particular activists, not against videogames. Personally, I think that the decision to refer to Ned as 'she' was based on the thought that transgender character could do something bad with the sales in Russia. But it's not right, it's quite... insulting? Say nothing of the quality of translation.

Also, Krem from Dragon Age (also a FtM trans character) was translated correctly.

Anykeyer
12-16-2015, 10:06 AM
Russian and english use genders differently. Most animals and inanimate objects have genders in russian. Some objects have different genders (for example ship isnt she or it, its he). For transgender characters its appropriate to call them by their original gender when describing events that took place before the change.
I doubt this translation has anything to do with trans hate, otherwise Ned would be called "оно", russian word for undefinied gender, very close to english "it".

killwebromance
12-16-2015, 12:01 PM
Russian and english use genders differently. Most animals and inanimate objects have genders in russian. Some objects have different genders (for example ship isnt she or it, its he). For transgender characters its appropriate to call them by their original gender when describing events that took place before the change.
I doubt this translation has anything to do with trans hate, otherwise Ned would be called "оно", russian word for undefinied gender, very close to english "it".

Well, it isn't true, we don't have such a tradition here. It is correct and respectful to choose whatever gender a person uses even if there's no transition. Moreover, Ned looks like a male and does everything to be considered as one.

If he is a male in a female body, then he is 'он', and vice versa, like it is in the English text.

You see, in the database Shaun refers to him as 'she' in one part: 'Which seems a shame, because she sounded fun.'. Because it was before he 'abandoned his old "Netta" identity'. Russian translators could do the same, and it would be respectful and correct. As I've said below, translators didn't make Krem 'she' just because there wasn't transitions in alternative Dark Ages.

Also, we see that Shaun as a character is quite respectful of Ned's choice, so this lack of respect in Russian database is kinda OOC for him, isn't it?

Anykeyer
12-16-2015, 02:02 PM
I didnt say anything about traditions. But its perfectly fine and not irrespectful to do so.
Ned looks like woman, sounds like woman, you have to be blind and deaf to not see it right away. Could they even do such surgery in 19 century?

killwebromance
12-16-2015, 03:30 PM
I didnt say anything about traditions. But its perfectly fine and not irrespectful to do so.
Ned looks like woman, sounds like woman, you have to be blind and deaf to not see it right away. Could they even do such surgery in 19 century?

Nope, they couldn't. But it's not the point.

You are confusing grammatical gender ('gender' of the inanimated objects) with sex (biological sex) and gender (social gender that can be different from biological sex). (I guess you can use google and see what I'm implying). Linguistically speaking, English language doesn't have grammatical gender apart from Russian. It's not a lingustic discussion though, it is social and biological discussion, and there's no difference between it in Russia and in UK/US/Canada/whatever. We are all similar human beings so logically in Russian Ned should be referred as 'он' as well as in English he was referred as 'he'. THAT is the point.

As it was said in database, Ned 'had abandoned' his female identity and from now on should be considered male.

And yes, as a part of LGBTQ+ community I find it offensive when a person deliberately ignore my social gender or/and show that biological sex is more important than gender.