PDA

View Full Version : Do you want proper "Frame Limiting" options in AC in upcoming updates and games?

jesped
12-15-2015, 08:12 PM
There are many problems related with frame limit aspects in recent AC titles, specially in the most recent Syndicate:

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1331362-Animations-run-at-30-fps

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1340893-Frame-Limiting-options-in-AC

http://steamcommunity.com/app/368500/discussions/0/485623406940833636/#p10

Asked about it to Support and they answered this:

"Whether or not this is a feature we bring out in future titles I don't know at this time but it could happen if there is enough interest from our players.

I apologise if the lack of a frame limiter affects the experience you have with our titles. As I said if enough people seem interested it may become an option in the future. "

I think all AC titles should include an option in the game menus for proper Frame Limiting: 30, 50, 60, ... and Unlocked, either vsynced or not, that affects both the framerate and cloth/physics simulations.

So the question is simple, are you interested that this feature be included in upcoming updates and new AC titles?

Frag_Maniac
12-15-2015, 08:29 PM
I'd rather have better optimization. You can easily use one of many tools to cap the frame rate externally. The lowest footprint of which is probably RTSS. Even if I cap Syndicate to 40 FPS, I still get choppy laggy drops to 35 when riding carriages. If I cap it to 30 FPS, it feels like constant micro stutter whenever I move.

If they can't update AnvilNext to better handle games like Unity and Syndicate without having to have high end Nvidia hardware, they need to just limit it's use to games like Rogue, that were FAR more optimized.

They seem only interested in console profits though. I don't think they care if the PC players get unoptimized ports. Going forward, it will be interesting to see if they move mostly to Snowdrop for the more complex games. I guess we'll find out when we see how well The Division runs.

jesped
12-15-2015, 08:37 PM
The issues with using third party external Frame Limiting softwares are properly detailed here: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1340893-Frame-Limiting-options-in-AC

ALL of them have stutter/microstutter issues.

Syndicate is just the second AC title using AnvilNext, the newgen version of the engine. Unity had the exact same problems, except at least the cloth physics were the same as the framerate. Now in Syndicate, cloth/physics are locked at 30 and can't be unlocked, whereas framerate is unlocked, and cannot be properly locked at 30. A total nonsense that could be easily fixed adding a "Frame Limiter" menu option (like in The Evil Within, for example) where the user can set what they want: 30,50,60, Unlocked or whatever.

Frag_Maniac
12-16-2015, 03:01 AM
ALL of them have stutter/microstutter issues..

Not true at all, I've had better performance capping at 40 FPS with RTSS, including WAY less stutter.

TreadLife
12-16-2015, 04:44 AM
I cannot say for sure, but I imagine that the effort to include those options wouldn't take much (from a decently skilled developer or team) so I say sure, I'm interested. The more in game options and control over the technical experience, the better.

Clearly proper PC optimization is an even larger priority, but the unanimous customer interest in that has only had so much impact.

jesped
12-16-2015, 04:33 PM
Not true at all, I've had better performance capping at 40 FPS with RTSS, including WAY less stutter.

Please read all the info before stating something as categoric as "not true at all": http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1340893-Frame-Limiting-options-in-AC

I'm not saying you are wrong, maybe your combination of display, gpu brand, model + RTSS gives you good results, but it is not a good solution for everybody.

In my case, the best result is RadeonPro's Double Vsync, but it is not as good as a proper in-engine frame limiter, which shouldn't be any difficult to include in the pc port options by the devs, as the console versions are already locked at 30, which proves there is support already in the engine.

I remember a similar case with Evil Within. The PC port was locked at 30 when it was first released, and people were complaining. Next update included a Frame Limiter option in the game menus and everybody was happy.

I don't get why anybody would be against this request... it's not like updates or DLC's are going to be delayed to include this simple feature in the menus.

Frag_Maniac
12-16-2015, 08:54 PM
Please read all the info before stating something as categoric as "not true at all"...
I'm not saying you are wrong, maybe your combination of display, gpu brand, model + RTSS gives you good results, but it is not a good solution for everybody....In my case...

LOL, [Removed], as is your claim that "ALL of them have stutter/microstutter issues."

Now you come back and admit it's not as holistic a scenario as that, and results can vary. The one thing you have not admitted to is that your blanket statement quoted above, as I said before, is not true at all. In fact you pretty much just verified it yourself.

[Removed]

jesped
12-17-2015, 04:10 PM
LOL, [Removed], as is your claim that "ALL of them have stutter/microstutter issues."

Now you come back and admit it's not as holistic a scenario as that, and results can vary. The one thing you have not admitted to is that your blanket statement quoted above, as I said before, is not true at all. In fact you pretty much just verified it yourself.

[Removed] .

I don't get why you are so bitter about it, especially when you yourself stated: "If I cap it to 30 FPS, it feels like constant micro stutter whenever I move."

It wasn't my intention to offend you in any way. Your attitude reminds me of some people entering the "locked cloth/physics" threads to just post "It is not a problem for me, so shut up" to the dozens of people complaining about it.

Facts are:

- AC Syndicate is locked at 30 on consoles.

- AC Syndicate can't be locked to 30 in-engine on PC, but the cloth/physics are locked at 30 and unlockable.

- A simple menu option to allow users to select the engine lock would solve both problems for everybody. (Example: The Evil Within)

If this is not a problem for you, great. Be happy about it and move on without picking on the people that have problems.

jesped
12-17-2015, 04:17 PM
I cannot say for sure, but I imagine that the effort to include those options wouldn't take much (from a decently skilled developer or team) so I say sure, I'm interested. The more in game options and control over the technical experience, the better.

Clearly proper PC optimization is an even larger priority, but the unanimous customer interest in that has only had so much impact.

That's the thing. It shouldn't be any difficult for the devs to add a user selectable lock. Console versions are already locked at 30. PC port has unlocked framerate but locked cloth/physics at 30, which is a total nonsense for people playing at more than 30fps.

Proper PC optimization would be great, but that is another issue that is much harder to fix I think.