PDA

View Full Version : SLI, when can we expect to see it work?

MidmaCM
12-14-2015, 06:46 PM
I am one of the biggest fans of the entire AC series. I own every single AC game ever released and have always been extremely happy with how the series has grown and evolved.

Every other AC game I've ever played on pc has ran perfect on every type of gpu I've owned since ac1... Except this syndicate.

That said, I'm happy with the actual gameplay of syndicate but it is very frustrating that the reason I bought my 2nd 970 was really so I could enjoy future AC games with the graphical settings the developers want us to see. By that I mean the highest. I want to be enveloped by revolutionary London In every aspect. Sadly right now I cannot due to sli actually running the game worse than with one single card... Which is unplayable at 1440p. And again the reason I bought the monitor was mostly to enjoy future AC games in 1440p. (Again, I am a massive AC series fan).

I made this post for two reasons. To spread awareness and to plead and beg any one at Ubisoft to please put a rush on this issue. Even if we could simply get an estimated time an issue like this would be resolved. Personally I care a lot less about a cape running at 30 fps. I believe allowing the many players like me who have been loyal to Ubisoft to be able to run the game at decent settings. The cape can come after.

This is just my opinion and a humble attempt to raise awareness and hope that some one reads this and decides to start working on the issue. I just want to know if sli is something we can look forward to in the near future.

Thanks.

YazX_
12-14-2015, 07:25 PM
Hello,

To report any issue, you MUST contact Ubisoft Support as they are the official channel to help and report issues, forums are not always monitored by Ubisoft Support Staff. however, there is a thread already created about this issue on Technical Issues board.

just one thing to note, i have been an 8 years SLI user and gave up on it recently due to many reasons, however, Nvidia has a big part in this as you know since they optimize and provide working SLI profile for all games, mostly the fix will come from Nvidia with an updated drivers and SLI profile, and maybe a game patch to conform with these drivers changes.

MidmaCM
12-14-2015, 07:40 PM
Thank you for the reply.

Yes I am aware that to get directly to them I should post in the support forum and I plan to and when I'm off work. I've ever gone as far as calling Ubisoft and reporting it to them directly. My main goal posting in public forums is to encourage others to reach out and inform Ubisoft of this issue. The more posts there are, the quicker Ubisoft will fix this issue.

I am also posting on nvidia forums as well. You are correct that this is nvidia a issue just as much as ubisofts. Neither of them can fix this issue alone however. Sli needs to be worked on as a team between nvidia and Ubisoft to get a proper profile. Although because of the limited information available to the public, we don't know which of the companies is the one who needs to fix their end... Or even if it's both companies who need to step it up and get this working.

Again thank you for the reply. I appreciate the information you Shared to me :)

MidmaCM
12-14-2015, 07:45 PM
Also I would greatly appreciate if you joined me in posting to the correct forums so together we can make this issue even more known and hurry the process up. The more the merrier.

YazX_
12-14-2015, 08:11 PM
Yes you are right about contacting support, however, last thing i saw -maybe 10 days ago- on Nvidia forums is a Community Representative said that they are working closely with Ubisoft to better scale performance on SLI setups, he wouldn't post something like this if its not the case, right?

so i believe and hope this issue get fully addressed and resolved with the next game patch and drivers :) , because to be honest and between us i'm very very tempted to slam another GTX 970 since its hard to go back to single card when you get used to Multi-GPU , but SLI support and issues are still a barrier for me.

here is the original thread for this issue on technical board:

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1331938-Assassin-s-Creed-Syndicate-SLI-Performance-(970-s)

MidmaCM
12-15-2015, 07:00 PM
It's funny. My first enthusiast build I decided to go with two grx 570's and I only had an issue with maybe 1 or two games in the 5 years I owned that pc. I never understood why so many people were frustrated with sli and refused to use it.

My second build. I was much more comfortable with computers and just decided to get 1 970. I figured it would be more than enough at the time because I was only playing at 1080p later down the line I upgraded to a 1440p monitor and my 1 970 wasn't cutting it anymore in terms of being able to crank up AA. So I went and got another 970 thinking well hey... If I didn't have any issues 5 years ago with sli. It must be perfect now. Ever since... I've had awful experiences with it. I feel like 90% of the time I cannot play new releases. I'm always waiting a month or two. I am tired of it.

But like you say it's very hard to go from multi gpu back to single cards. So from now on. I'm simply only ever going to buy a single Titan version of cards. It will solve all my issues. Sure it's more expensive for only a little bit better performance.... But you are 100% correct in staying away from sli. it's been rough. Spending all that money and half the time having to not even use one of my cards. So my advice is to stick with what your doing. Avoid sli haha. Just buy a damn Titan when pascal comes out. The extra 500$ will save you so many hours and days of frustration. And with all the time you spend looking up fixes for sli when a game comes out. You can now spend working to earn back the 500$ you spent on a Titan instead.

Sorry for my horrible punctuation. Typing this all on a phone.

MidmaCM
12-15-2015, 07:05 PM
Also for others out there with my issue. I've just heard of a possible quick ghetto solution that will help fps. I cannot confirm if it works. Haven't tried it yet but it makes sense as to why it would work.

Simply dedicate your 2nd card to all the physx features in nvidia control panel. I've read from multiple users on steam forums that this has helped them gain more than just a few frames.

When I get home tonight I will try it and post back.

YazX_
12-15-2015, 09:54 PM
well Titan is just meh, Nvidia always release a better or matching card after 2-3 months of Titan's release with a lower price, happened in every Titan releases, so why to shell 1k on a card that will be surpassed or matched with another one with alot lower price after 2-3 months?

regarding dedicating your 2nd GPU to physx, yes it might help with little FPS boost but dont expect the same performance when both are working together at full.

MidmaCM
12-15-2015, 11:40 PM
Yeah so far your right about previous Titans. They always come out with a ti version that's cheaper and better. But I say that because in the pascal series they are saying the Titan is really going to be the Titan from now on. It could be a marketing gimmick though so I'll wait and see. I feel like they will very shortly realize it's a bad business call to release a better card than the Titan for way less money so soon after though. So who knows what the next ti will be. It will all depend on how competitive amd is against pascal. At this point I'm getting so impatient that I will end up just getting the Titan for the simple fact of not wanting to wait the extra few months to just be able to play new release games. That's how it is with sli it seems. At least the games I want to play.

Also

Dedicating a card to physx does nothing. I get even worse fps and my second card stays at 0 usage. At least right now sli is halfway working. I still get about 10 more fps using sli than I do without it. Making it playable. But still my cards vary from 60-80% usage. I feel like I'll beat the game before they fix it at this point. I bought just cause 3 as a backup in case sli didn't work so I'd have a game to play while I wait. And of course that game doesn't support sli period.

YazX_
12-16-2015, 12:19 AM
LOL, sorry i laughed but when i was reading that you got JC3, i was going to say it doesnt support it at all but then i continued reading and found out that you are already aware of this. see my friend, its too much hassle these days, it has never been like this before and thats why im still holding off on SLI.

about The Titan and Ti, here is what happened with the 900 series, Nvidia always have a card hidden and just pull it out when the time is right, they really played it well with 780 Ti and 980 Ti, look at when the 980 Ti got released, just few weeks before AMD Fury lineup, for the next Pascal lineup, they will release Titan and create Titan like card with much lower price and wait for AMD to come up with their new HBM2 Fury lineup, they will pull it out before AMD releases their new cards, now if AMD can pull ahead with their new lineup, then they will score big this time. every year they say the same about Titan and people fall for it, however, maybe this year they will not release the hidden card until some time passes to show people that they mean it, as i hate to admit it, Nvidia knows how and when to market their stuff regardless if its shady practices or not.

MidmaCM
12-16-2015, 07:22 PM
You are much more knowledgable than me in the gpu world. That's very interesting. It makes sense for nvidia to have a back up weapon though. It just makes them seem to silly release a card better than the Titan. I wish once and for all they would simply just put everything they have into a Titan card. And make it entirely worth the $1.5k ish consumers spend on it. Instead of taking a dump all over their best customers. That's basically what they are doing when they release a ti so shortly after.

I don't know much about amd though. I've had one amd card a very long time ago. though ever since I've started going after top of the line rigs, I've always felt like my only option was nvidia simply for the fact that they seem to have a hand in a majority of the new titles that I hope to play. I wish they would get rid of the game works and nvidia branded games and what not. And just make games equally optimized for amd and nvidia users. It seems like whenever I look up fixes and issues I'm having with sli or my cards flickering... In the shadow of every post I find some one with amd who has the same issue but much worse and it's almost always the games that are nvidia optimized. Just based on that alone I am too scared to invest in a good amd card. I'd imagine having crossfire would be even worse than sli in many cases. I do really hope amd will pull ahead in 2016 though. As of now I never feel as if I have a choice when choosing a card for an enthusiast type build. Nvidia just seems to have have the most elite cards that work the best with the most games.

At the end of the day though. When I just got my monitor and had only a single 970, I had the thought that maybe I should have just invested in a 980ti... And man am I regretting not choosing it. I think I'll take your advice when pascal is released next year and wait 3 months or so and try and guess nvidias gameplan. So I don't end up wasiting a bunch of money on a card that is going to end up 2nd best in two months.

But I hereby promise to never sli again in my main gaming rig. Maybe one day if I hit the lottery I'll build a crazy 4 way sli titan/ti builds just for fun. But I'm totally over not being able to play games at release. It's too much of a sacrifice.

YazX_
12-16-2015, 09:52 PM
your story is similar to mine, i was on 1080p, then heard of monitor overclocking, so i said hey why not getting 1440p 60hz monitor and OC it to 120hz, did alot of research until i found unlocked and best monitors for overclocking, got one and my GTX 770 SLI setup was powerful enough to play any game maxed out 60+ FPS, then the next gen consoles came out with unified memory and PC cards VRAM issues started to surface, i had 2GB version of each card thus i started to have low GPU utilization on each card due to vram limitation, other times stuttering,....

so i sold both of my cards and got GTX 970, at the time i bought 970 there was nothing but 980, so i got the best card for OC and heavily OCed it to 980, i knew that one 970 or even 980 won't cut it for 1440p, but it can get me around 50 FPS with mixture of high/max settings and i was planning to SLI it to get 60+ FPS, but when the 3.5GB thing surfaced and SLI issues started to become more and more of a hassle, i stopped and now i'm thinking of replacing it with 980 Ti, but saying to myself not now, next year will have alot of changes in AMD and Nvidia lineups, so why to invest now with Maxwell and HBM1 while in 3-4 months something new will surface?

regarding AMD, their only problem is the limitation of 4GB HBM1, their FuryX trades blows with 980 Ti and in DX12 AMD is winning, but as a consumer, why buying 4GB card while you can get 6GB card with the same price? AMD just didn't price the FuryX right, it should have been priced at 550$, 100$ less than 980Ti then it would have been alot better. however, their 390x, 390, 380x and 380 are having very competitive prices and some of them are equipped with 8GB, i was really thinking to replace the 970 with 390 8GB, but i will hold off for the next lineup to show up next year and i will pick the best value for the money since Nvidia GameWorks stuff will not be a deciding factor for me anymore.

MidmaCM
12-17-2015, 06:53 PM
Well after much thought and frustration I've simply decided to just not play syndicate anymore. I will be waiting for this to be patched.

I know how silver spoon and spoiled this sounds but I simple refuse to play a game at high settings when I paid to be playing it at ultra. Fxaa is not a viable AA option for me to enjoy the game. Nor will I play an entire game at 40-50 fps when I should be getting at least 60+ at the most gpu intense moments.

In the mean time I went and picked up a cd key for hitman and will be playing that until AC and jc3 get fixed. By no means am I a rich person. My computers have always taken a very long time to save up for and cost many many hours of hard work. I just want to get the best out of it is all. At least for the next few months until I can upgrade to a pascal Titan or ti card I will just avoid preordering games. So hopefully sooner than later this will be fixed and I can enjoy the rest of syndicate. I love the gameplay so far but want the full experience if I'm going to invest my time into it.

Also as for amd. Yeah I noticed that with the fury. It might be a bit more powerful than the 980ti but that vram really comes into play at 1440p or higher resolutions. With my 970s I am vram capped in almost every late 2015 title. Some games like gta and even syndicate there's certain options that exceed the 4gb of vram. Not sure what amd was thinking. I really hope the next line of amd and nvidia cards come with an obnoxious amount of vram. with 1440p becoming the gaming resolution people are going to need at least 6-8gb for 2016. At least that would be my uneducated guess. And I mean the full 6. Not 5.5 nvidia....

Edit: people won't "need" at least 6gb but. For people like me who really care about cranking up AA. It should be the bare minimum to expect in the future 1070 or 1080, if that's what they plan on calling the cards.

YazX_
12-17-2015, 07:07 PM
Well after much thought and frustration I've simply decided to just not play syndicate anymore. I will be waiting for this to be patched.

I know how silver spoon and spoiled this sounds but I simple refuse to play a game at high settings when I paid to be playing it at ultra. Fxaa is not a viable AA option for me to enjoy the game. Nor will I play an entire game at 40-50 fps when I should be getting at least 60+ at the most gpu intense moments.

In the mean time I went and picked up a cd key for hitman and will be playing that until AC and jc3 get fixed. By no means am I a rich person. My computers have always taken a very long time to save up for and cost many many hours of hard work. I just want to get the best out of it is all. At least for the next few months until I can upgrade to a pascal Titan or ti card I will just avoid preordering games. So hopefully sooner than later this will be fixed and I can enjoy the rest of syndicate. I love the gameplay so far but want the full experience if I'm going to invest my time into it.

Also as for amd. Yeah I noticed that with the fury. It might be a bit more powerful than the 980ti but that vram really comes into play at 1440p or higher resolutions. With my 970s I am vram capped in almost every late 2015 title. Some games like gta and even syndicate there's certain options that exceed the 4gb of vram. Not sure what amd was thinking. I really hope the next line of amd and nvidia cards come with an obnoxious amount of vram. with 1440p becoming the gaming resolution people are going to need at least 6-8gb for 2016. At least that would be my uneducated guess. And I mean the full 6. Not 5.5 nvidia....

Edit: people won't "need" at least 6gb but. For people like me who really care about cranking up AA. It should be the bare minimum to expect in the future 1070 or 1080, if that's what they plan on calling the cards.

No, you are right about VRAM guess, 4GB is the bare minimum now, and since you play on 1440p and its becoming more viable nowadays, we will see a big leap to this resolution for PC customers, 4GB doesn't cut it for this resolution while cranking up everything, AA can be set to 2xMSAA + MFAA as higher resolutions require less AA, but sill you need AA for some extent. however 6GB is the comfort zone for this resolution, unless if devs started to use Tiled Resources, then memory consumption will be massively reduced and 2GB will be more than enough but i don't this happening anytime soon.

MutatedOreo
12-20-2015, 01:45 AM
Okay, SLI is definitely working... but the scaling really needs to be improved.

I just tested it out and at 4K resolution I'm getting 24-28 FPS with SLI disabled in the Nvidia control panel. With SLI enabled I loaded up my save again and see 34-38 FPS in the exact same section. So it looks like SLI support is working, but it is only scaling with a performance improvement by ~40% or so instead of the 80%+ performance increase we would all desire and would typically be seen in a game with well coded SLI support.

I have 2x GTX 980 Ti's and a 4770K on my setup.

TaylorBlakeH
02-16-2016, 02:57 PM
Hello everyone,
Just wanted to let all of you know with SLI issues that NVIDIA's latest driver was released with specific improvements to SLI profiles and driver code that appears to have fixed the scaling issues in this game, with two-way SLI anyways... Download it and give it a try! It looks like Ubisoft has collaborated with NVIDIA finally to give them the info needed about their rendering engine to allow NVIDIA to make a working profile.

RVSage
02-16-2016, 06:45 PM
Guys SLI seems to be working better now, one of my friends confirmed it as well

Jessigirl2013
02-17-2016, 01:22 PM
Hello everyone,
Just wanted to let all of you know with SLI issues that NVIDIA's latest driver was released with specific improvements to SLI profiles and driver code that appears to have fixed the scaling issues in this game, with two-way SLI anyways... Download it and give it a try! It looks like Ubisoft has collaborated with NVIDIA finally to give them the info needed about their rendering engine to allow NVIDIA to make a working profile.

We know they had to work together to fix the issue:rolleyes:

TaylorBlakeH
02-17-2016, 02:44 PM
We know they had to work together to fix the issue:rolleyes:

It's just frustrating that for 3.5 months, we were waiting on one or two lazy employees most likely to just say "Hey, we just need to send that piece of rendering code over to NVIDIA so they can make a working profile for SLI"... It probably took 15 minutes.

Jessigirl2013
02-19-2016, 04:50 PM
It's just frustrating that for 3.5 months, we were waiting on one or two lazy employees most likely to just say "Hey, we just need to send that piece of rendering code over to NVIDIA so they can make a working profile for SLI"... It probably took 15 minutes.

The problems fixed now though.:rolleyes:

TaylorBlakeH
02-19-2016, 05:15 PM
The problems fixed now though.:rolleyes:

Yes, it truly seems to be.... Overall I'm happy with the game now from a technical standpoint (just wish the CPU usage wasn't so high). The only other thing I have interest in investigating is the "PCSS Ultra" option to determine if there's something wrong that causes it to have the performance hit that it does or if it really is just that demanding... I'm actually able to enable regular PCSS now with MSAA 4x and HBAO+ Ultra and still keep 60 FPS with two 970's believe it or not! I'm just curious how I might be able to manage the PCSS Ultra option. I'm not even sure I've tried it yet since SLI was fxed. i will tonight.

TaylorBlakeH
02-22-2016, 04:43 PM
Yes, it truly seems to be.... Overall I'm happy with the game now from a technical standpoint (just wish the CPU usage wasn't so high). The only other thing I have interest in investigating is the "PCSS Ultra" option to determine if there's something wrong that causes it to have the performance hit that it does or if it really is just that demanding... I'm actually able to enable regular PCSS now with MSAA 4x and HBAO+ Ultra and still keep 60 FPS with two 970's believe it or not! I'm just curious how I might be able to manage the PCSS Ultra option. I'm not even sure I've tried it yet since SLI was fxed. i will tonight.

UPDATE.... I tried PCSS Ultra with SLI enabled, and while it didn't sink my frame rate to 0.25 FPS like it did with SLI in the past, it cuts my frame rate in half. Literally. With MSAA 4x, PCSS and everything else on max at 1080, I'm keeping 60 FPS. I enabled PCSS Ultra and it dropped me down to 27 FPS in some areas, most others between 32 and 41 FPS. That's what I call a HORRIBLE option. PCSS Ultra looks really really good in the official NVIDIA screenshots in the games performance guide, but no graphical setting is worth that kind of hit... That's a much bigger hit than running the game at 1440p with DSR, a far more worthwhile performance hit than just extended draw distance of soft shadows because that's pretty much what Ultra is giving you over regular PCSS. I'm going to do a comparison of 1440p with FXAA to 1080p with MSAA 4x this evening I think. I'll let you all know what I find. I think in my case though, my CPU is going to run into issues. It's pretty much hitting its limit in new games now. The i5-2500K.... Running at 5.0 Ghz on air.... It's been legendary! But it's time for an upgrade.

EscoBlades
02-22-2016, 06:57 PM
Please see the latest sticky concerning this issue.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1394706-Assassin-s-Creed-Syndicate-SLI-Performance-Update-Forums

YazX_
02-23-2016, 12:34 AM
UPDATE.... I tried PCSS Ultra with SLI enabled, and while it didn't sink my frame rate to 0.25 FPS like it did with SLI in the past, it cuts my frame rate in half. Literally. With MSAA 4x, PCSS and everything else on max at 1080, I'm keeping 60 FPS. I enabled PCSS Ultra and it dropped me down to 27 FPS in some areas, most others between 32 and 41 FPS. That's what I call a HORRIBLE option. PCSS Ultra looks really really good in the official NVIDIA screenshots in the games performance guide, but no graphical setting is worth that kind of hit... That's a much bigger hit than running the game at 1440p with DSR, a far more worthwhile performance hit than just extended draw distance of soft shadows because that's pretty much what Ultra is giving you over regular PCSS. I'm going to do a comparison of 1440p with FXAA to 1080p with MSAA 4x this evening I think. I'll let you all know what I find. I think in my case though, my CPU is going to run into issues. It's pretty much hitting its limit in new games now. The i5-2500K.... Running at 5.0 Ghz on air.... It's been legendary! But it's time for an upgrade.

whats your GPUs utilization when enabling PCSS Ultra and have such dips, are they still on 99%?

aside note, i believe and my theory is PCSS Ultra is just a Vram hog, my assumption is you need to have at least 6GB of vram to be able to use this option, not sure but i read a while back a reply from Nvidia stating that 4GB will not cut it for TXAA or PCSS, so if i'm right, you are hitting the vram wall thus your FPS dips. and don't forget that you are using 4xMSAA which is very taxing and needs more and more vram, so it worth investigating different AA options with PCSS Ultra.

Righteous Angel
02-24-2016, 05:35 PM
Thanks for fixing SLi Ubisoft I can now hit 60fps at 4k on Ultra with HBAO+.

TaylorBlakeH
02-24-2016, 06:20 PM
Thanks for fixing SLi Ubisoft I can now hit 60fps at 4k on Ultra with HBAO+.

With what system???!!!!

SLi improvement has been great for me too, but going from a solid 60 FPS on 2 x 970's at 1080p to just bumping up to 1440p drops me to 39 FPS!!!

magnusakuma
02-28-2016, 12:03 AM
Yeah I can confirm that SLI really works now! Was starting the game earlier this day, after installing the newest NVIDIA updates. No lagging or stuttering at all with high settings. Before the update, going to from game to menus or vice versa was a pain with all the lagging and stuttering. :p
My rig is: GTX 970 SLI OC, 16GB DDR4, 6700K stock speeds and 1440P screen. THANK YOU! :D \Magnus from Sweden

Jessigirl2013
02-28-2016, 11:55 AM
With what system???!!!!

SLi improvement has been great for me too, but going from a solid 60 FPS on 2 x 970's at 1080p to just bumping up to 1440p drops me to 39 FPS!!!

Haha
Sounds like a quad titan X setup :cool: