PDA

View Full Version : Future AC game plot idea...

sharpblade1508
12-14-2015, 04:05 AM
I'm not really trying to propose a "clone" of Rogue that is just from the flip side, but what about having a Templar who switches to the Assassin's? I can see this working as being different than Rogue in some ways as the Templar could be someone who wasn't even a true believer in the cause, like a hired enforcer, who knows who he's working for and what their goals are, but doesn't care because it's good pay. Then the Templars do something that gets someone he cares about killed, and he stops caring about the pay and defects to the Assassin's for revenge, and overtime comes to adopt their ideals as well. I think this would be cool. Thoughts anyone?

ImaginaryRuins
12-14-2015, 08:55 AM
In fact I also thought of that but some people thought the plot would be too predictable.

cawatrooper9
12-14-2015, 03:58 PM
the Templar could be someone who wasn't even a true believer in the cause, like a hired enforcer, who knows who he's working for and what their goals are, but doesn't care because it's good pay. Then the Templars do something that gets someone he cares about killed, and he stops caring about the pay and defects to the Assassin's for revenge, and overtime comes to adopt their ideals as well. I think this would be cool. Thoughts anyone?

That's almost an exact description of Black Flag...

sharpblade1508
12-14-2015, 06:53 PM
That's almost an exact description of Black Flag...

Now that you mention it, I can see some similarities. I fleshed this out in my head a little more last night and here's generally how I think it could go (may still sound similar to black flag but whatever)

The main character has a wife and a kid that he's trying to provide for (like Edward) and he's ex-military, so he knows he has fighting skills and finds an opportunity to get good pay for it by working for the Templars as an enforcer. He sees that actually being a Templar and not just one of their lackey's has much better rewards, as the Templars look out for their own.

He spends time trying to really fake caring about their ideology, and eventually gets noticed and sworn in as a member of the Templar Order. On his first mission as a full-fledged Templar, he and some other members of the order go and sabotage a section of the city, in order to make it look like it was common criminals and thus make the people scared of unchecked freedom. However he isn't aware of the full scale that this sabotage will affect, and in the process of the mission his wife and child are killed. He breaks off from the other Templars to go check his home and finds his family dead.

He regroups with the other Templars that are still carrying out the mission and in a fit of anger, kills all of them. For the next maybe 1-2 missions of the game afterward, he's just hunting Templars on his own, since he blames them for killing his family, who was the only reason he even started fighting for the Templars in the first place. Shortly after, while pursuing some Templars, he gets caught up with the Assassin's. And while he understands that they kill Templars, he's reluctant to join another faction at first. Ultimately he does, but only uses it as an outlet for vengeance.

After awhile he starts seeing more of what the Assassin's do other than killing Templars, like helping their community and generally protecting people who can't protect themselves. He starts truly seeing them as an group and ideal worth fighting for. Maybe by around mid-game he truly falls in with their beliefs (rather than it being almost at the very end like with Edward), and explains to them his story and why he's there in the first place.

From there on, he continues doing what Assassin's do best, but with a goal and purpose he never had before.

So, I see this differing from Black Flag as the main character wouldn't be selfish at all in motives concerning money. And they become more of a character who's like Ezio in AC 2 who is all about revenge initially and gets wiser as time goes on.

VestigialLlama4
12-14-2015, 07:28 PM
I'm not really trying to propose a "clone" of Rogue that is just from the flip side, but what about having a Templar who switches to the Assassin's? I can see this working as being different than Rogue in some ways as the Templar could be someone who wasn't even a true believer in the cause, like a hired enforcer, who knows who he's working for and what their goals are, but doesn't care because it's good pay. Then the Templars do something that gets someone he cares about killed, and he stops caring about the pay and defects to the Assassin's for revenge, and overtime comes to adopt their ideals as well. I think this would be cool. Thoughts anyone?

My main caveat with this is that "do something that gets someone he cares about killed, and he stops caring about the pay and defects to the Assassin's for revenge, and overtime comes to adopt their ideals."

To me this whole plot is basically melodramatic and contrived. It's the plot of Rogue and well I am not a fan of Rogue either because that too is melodramatic and contrived.

Basically, it's melodramatic because the plot is moving the character in a certain way like a puppet. It doesn't come out of the character. In Black Flag, Edward Kenway became an Assassin after a great deal of character growth and facing consequences for his choices and actions. It was self-driven and the character moved the plot.

In Rogue, Shay became a Templar not because he agreed with that ideology but because of a ridiculous and hilariously stupid series of coincidences. If you are making a game about a Templar who becomes an Assassin, it should come out of character and ideology. If you can do a story about a character who changes on his own, without bringing in revenge or that the Templars all of a sudden turn out to be evil when before there was nothing but love, well that is melodrama. It wouldn't explain the story.

cawatrooper9
12-14-2015, 07:58 PM
He regroups with the other Templars that are still carrying out the mission and in a fit of anger, kills all of them. For the next maybe 1-2 missions of the game afterward, he's just hunting Templars on his own, since he blames them for killing his family, who was the only reason he even started fighting for the Templars in the first place. Shortly after, while pursuing some Templars, he gets caught up with the Assassin's. And while he understands that they kill Templars, he's reluctant to join another faction at first. Ultimately he does, but only uses it as an outlet for vengeance.

Honestly, I'd like to see a game where the protagonist isn't really a part of either faction. In your example, the character has certainly burned his bridges with the Templars, but I don't imagine the Assassins would be all that welcoming of him either. I'd love to see someone caught between the two factions, hunted by them- it could be one of the most intense games of the series so far.

briangade
12-17-2015, 07:18 AM
I like the idea that the protagonist starts the game no being a member of either faction a lot.

It would be nice to have some tough choices to make,I have no problem with games gating off content based on my choices.If anything it gives me a reason to replay the game.
And by choices I mean meaningfull choices(I'm looking at you FC4).

And for the love of god,can we have another motivation than a dead family member,after playing most AC and FC games it's not really that much of a motivator anymore.

As the ship thingie from Black Flag was something many people enjoyed it would be nice to have it back.Maybe have a game in the early part of the Napoleonic wars,we could bring back Aveline or Dorian and flesh out whom ever is chosen as the protagonist a bit more.

You could use the end of WW1 as a setting with the protagonist being from Either Germany,Austria-Hungary or the Ottoman empire.Being neither Templar or Assassin trying to navigate the situation if your country falling apart while the Assassins and Templars are meddeling in the countrys future,and you would have to choose between the sides or try to remain neutral.

And while it's neat and all that historical figures have cameos in the games,IMO it has gotten to a point where it is saturday afternoon cartoon special ish.I think it would be nice if we could dial it back a bit.

cawatrooper9
12-17-2015, 03:44 PM
And for the love of god,can we have another motivation than a dead family member,after playing most AC and FC games it's not really that much of a motivator anymore.

The series has definitely moved on from that at this point. The most recent game where a protagonist has been motivated by a dead family member has been ACIII, released in 2012... That's from when Desmond was still around.

Unity arguably could fit this too, but that's only because a supporting character has this motivation. Arno's motivation comes from protecting Elise, not as some revenge plot.

briangade
12-17-2015, 03:55 PM
The series has definitely moved on from that at this point. The most recent game where a protagonist has been motivated by a dead family member has been ACIII, released in 2012... That's from when Desmond was still around.

Unity arguably could fit this too, but that's only because a supporting character has this motivation. Arno's motivation comes from protecting Elise, not as some revenge plot.

In Unity the dead father was stil used,and on top of that we had a dead stepfather.
I'm happy that it's not the driving force in Syndicate.

cawatrooper9
12-17-2015, 04:11 PM
In Unity the dead father was stil used,and on top of that we had a dead stepfather.
I'm happy that it's not the driving force in Syndicate.

Right, people died, but they weren't the driving force for the protagonist.

raytrek79
12-17-2015, 08:25 PM
Thomas Hickey in 3 was basically someone who didn't do it for philosophy, he did it for "a beer in one hand and a titty in the other" you are suggesting a mercenary as a playable character, it is certainly an interesting idea but hard to sell someone with no redeemable quality, or no purely villainous ambition.