PDA

View Full Version : Ireland: Hell in Hibernia

DaKrimsonBarun
12-14-2015, 12:40 AM
Long post ahead!
I would like to put foward an option for Assassins creed few if any of you have considered. Ireland. First let's look over what Ubisoft themselves have to say on the matter.
AC III: Duncan tells Connor about how crazy us Irish are about religion.
BF: That long email about game ideas mentions Irelands war of independence and Michael Collins and Eamon De Valera. Galway is featured in Kenways fleet. You have an Irish quartermaster and end with an Irish song.
Rogue: Other then the obvious(Shay Cormac)lots of little Irish references are sprinkled through. Chevalier laughs about how stupid Irish are and how its a good the English are in control. In the naval campaign you stop an Irish Rebellion(and take their flag) you get taken in by an Irish family and sing Irish Shantys.
Unity: The main reason I believe we will get Ireland someday: The Helix menu features an Irish assassin in the war of indpendence. The section is titled Hell in Hibernia.
Syndicate: lighter hints then usual but you stop dynamite from reaching London. About ten years off but guess who dynamite bombed london in the 19th century?*cough Ireland cough* the WW1 segment is in 1916 the year that Ireland kicked off. Would also be convienient: British soldier models done already, Churchill done already, tank done already. And lots of British accents!

Ireland had been taken over by England in the 12th century give or take and had rebelled constantly ever since. In 1914 Home rule(an Irish parliment) was about to be given but WW1 postponed it. The Irish Volunteers who wanted Independence and the secret Irish republican Brotherhood(note that word)that controlled them, declared an Irish Republic in Easter 1916. They took over the post office(really) and other key buildings like Jacobs biscuit factory(Really) and tried to hold Dublin City. There were 1'000 of them and about 20'000 British. The result was England bombarding the city with artillery and after a week of brutal street fighting. winning. As usual. However the Irish leaders were executed and this caused great public outcry....

1919: The Irish war of Independence.
This will be when we get into really assassins creed style. We tried again to be independendent but this time the people cared.In the countryside the newly formed IRA(Irish Republican army)raided British barracks and convoys for guns. This is when the two main NPC's emerged: Michael Collins the great Guerilla leader and Eamon De Valera the great politican. Pick a favourite. Collins organized the worlds first true guerilla war and an extremely effective assassination campaign.
1920: The stakes rise. The IRA now attack Convoys to kill. The Assassination campaign begins in earnest with fourteen spys killed in one day. The Britsh react by Massacring people watching football. The "Black and tans arrive: British soldiers allowed to shoot anybody whenevever they wan't. Sadistic and cruel.
1921:Britian gets fed up and signs the Anglo-Irish treaty allowing Ireland the same status as canada. The IRA had been running out of Bullets.
1922-23: Unhappy IRA occupy Buildings such as the four courts in Dulin. The Irish Free state boots them out. Micheal Collins is assassinated and his Rival Liam Lynch suffers a similiar fate. Free state wins the war.

Well now that thats out of the way lets look at the story shall we?
Sequence 1: A gathering storm.Backstory stuff. 1913 Union workers strike(fight constabulary as combat tutorial)
Gun running at Howth harbour: Smuggling tutorial. Two more missions:introduce you're leaders Padraig Pearse and James Connolly. Don't get attached.
Sequence two: Easter rising of 1916. First half.
Sequence three:Second half. Sad music and screaming as artillery blasts you're allies apart are the order for today. You lose and you're leaders die.
Sequence 4-10 war of Independence. Bloody sunday, the treaty, assassination campaign, guerrilla war etc.
Sequence 11-12 The Irish civil war. Bombard the four courts or be inside them(pick a side) Kill Liam Lynch or Michael Collins. Execute several others.
Im tired now but let me know what you think!

D.I.D.
12-14-2015, 12:44 AM
I'd be up for it, but only if they get actual Irish-born voice actors.

Locopells
12-14-2015, 01:10 AM
I hate to be the voice of doom, but nothing that sensitive is gonna sell. There are still people who lost family to the IRA in the 70s...

D.I.D.
12-14-2015, 01:47 AM
I tend to agree with you, Locopelis. When people suggested this last year I was thinking it was a non-starter too, but maybe it's not so impossible. It'd have to be handled with extreme care, but then again, the film "Michael Collins" won 3 awards and got Academy Award nominations, 12 and 15 certificates, and "The Wind That Shakes the Barley" did even better again (a good couple of dozen awards including the Palme D'Or. It's much easier now for shows like Peaky Blinders to touch on the Irish fight for independence in the 1920s without causing problems. There's obviously a bigger problem with an open world and full player agency than you'd get with a story-based film, so I have my doubts if they'd want to touch it, but I think they could. An actual 1960-80s IRA game would be a political nightmare, but the 1910s and 1920s is possible.

It's not the same at all, but I can't help thinking of the Mafia games. On paper, their existence is similarly fraught in terms of the destruction and the effects of their violence and murders upon families today, and the idea of turning those events into recreational roleplay ought to be unthinkable but we have those games anyway. 2K wasn't trying too hard to avoid romanticising the mob, either.