PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed: Syndicate - Workarounds for the Avid and Determined Assassin

Darfpunk
12-13-2015, 10:39 AM
Hey all, i'm sure that if you are here, you most likely accounted some app crashes which are really game breaking. For those like me who love assassin's creed a lot but are finding it difficult and discouraging when the game keeps crashing on you, fret not, I have managed to avoid some crashes that can allow you to continue the game. Please feel free to add workarounds for the various missions in which you encounter crashes so they can be fixed/ workaround in the meantime.

Main Missions

Seq 3 Gang War: Whitechapel > To prevent game from crashing, eliminate Rexford Kaylock as soon as possible on top of train before the river. After which, skip the cinematic.
Seq 4 A Spoonful of Syrup> The part that requires you to find the distribution boss, entering the factory will cause the game to crash. Workaround is to lure the distribution boss into fleeing mode by killing his guard near him. This will cause him to run out of the factory into your loving hands.
Seq 4 Crate Escape > Immediate game crash upon starting mission. No workarounds yet, i'm currently stuck here.

Train Hideout Memories

Stalk the Stalker > The part where you need to take out snipers that are trying to kill Agnes. Avoid doing the aerial takedowns as that area the snipers are on could lead to game crashes. Therefore, use range weapons to kill them instead.

A side note: Since so many people are encountering this problem with the game on PC, I really doubt it is due to graphics driver updates etc. The game runs smoothly every other location but its just that something in these locations are causing the game to crash be it error coding issues or something else. I hope this info helps you a little. I'm sorry I cannot find any more workarounds as yet as it is quite frustrating sometimes when you are doing the mission so well and it just crashes. Remember to backup your saves as you may find yourself with an autosave in a crash-prone area of the game.

Do help if you find workarounds to common problems PC Assassins are facing. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Darfpunk
Nothing is true, everything is permitted

strigoi1958
12-13-2015, 01:48 PM
A side note: Since so many people are encountering this problem with the game on PC, I really doubt it is due to graphics driver updates etc.

it's kind of you to share and I hope you solve your problem, but, where are all these people with your problems ? the forum is very quiet at present. I never had any of these problems (which doesn't mean they do not exist for the minority) so I guess I can say "since so many people are not here saying they are encountering these problems with the game on PC... it cannot be the game" ;) You should never assume you're in the majority unless there are thousands posting with the same thing, You should never assume it is not your own system especially when it runs perfectly well on other people's systems. It' is very probable that some others will have similar problems but assuming it is the game when others have no problem is not logical.

Posting your PC specs is always a good start also verifying your game (sometimes 2 or 3 times) will help... and trust me drivers ARE a big problem to games and PC's. Nvidia 359.00 causes my system to crash to blue screen and stop during the information collecting section in the restart. 355.82 causes crashes in multiple games and makes my GPU fans act like a helicopter taking off. I first came here to the forum to complain and it was a driver that turned AC3 blue and another completely crashed Splinter Cell Blacklist so much, I un-installed it and cannot bring myself to re-install it again.

Darfpunk
12-13-2015, 02:35 PM
First off, graphics card driver most definitely could be the problem. However, if it were the case, the crashes will be frequent and not follow any sort of pattern. I am only running on a mid range computer so I have no doubt people who do not have this problem will say it is the graphics driver problem. But since reinstalling the drivers didn't fix my problem I just want to help those who have the same problem in certain areas of the game so they can still continue playing. If the said graphics card can render the whole game properly but crash at certain areas every time you enter that area, then it is not the graphics card issue. These are just workarounds that worked for me. This forum didn't have this so I just thought of starting a thread to help those facing this problem so they can just continue with the game so that Ubisoft can focus on the majority issues first.

Xangr8
12-13-2015, 03:28 PM
Thanks a lot! I thought I was the only one facing these issues.

clean_death
12-13-2015, 04:09 PM
I made an account just to say that you are not alone. There are many others who are facing the exact same problem.

You can visit the technical support section of the forum and find that these cases have been reported since the launch date and unfortunately its being treated as a minority issue and is neglected. The support staff just blames it on the system and thats their way of solving the problem.

And if you take some time to search the web you will find that people are using workarounds just to play the game. like this thread.

Its the same issue with everyone as a certain part of the map causes these crashes. if you are in the train when the game crashes you can say good bye to the save games.

I hope this issue gets escalated before the next patch. there are many logs on this forum already showing the exact error.

Ecly9se
12-13-2015, 05:54 PM
Same thing here and the interesting thing is that it is in the same places that you recorded

strigoi1958
12-13-2015, 06:01 PM
it's difficult to "fix" something that works perfectly well except for on just a few systems... it is easy to believe because a fault exists for yourself that it must exist for the millions who have played the game and not come here but... logic dictates that as the game runs perfectly on some pc's and not others... then a problem exists on some pc's... given the fact that all PS4's are identical and all xbox 1's are identical what works on one works on all.... as there are hundreds of thousands of pc configurations, with even more conflicting programs and viruses it is not surprising that there will be some with problems...

In Unity a lot of people complained they couldn't pass a certain point.... but when they divulged their PC spec it was so below the required spec that it couldn't generate FPS quickly enough to let them hit a key/ button in time. There was workarounds for that by lowering the resolution.... it was not a game problem.

clean_death
12-13-2015, 06:33 PM
it's difficult to "fix" something that works perfectly well except for on just a few systems... it is easy to believe because a fault exists for yourself that it must exist for the millions who have played the game and not come here but... logic dictates that as the game runs perfectly on some pc's and not others... then a problem exists on some pc's... given the fact that all PS4's are identical and all xbox 1's are identical what works on one works on all.... as there are hundreds of thousands of pc configurations, with even more conflicting programs and viruses it is not surprising that there will be some with problems...

In Unity a lot of people complained they couldn't pass a certain point.... but when they divulged their PC spec it was so below the required spec that it couldn't generate FPS quickly enough to let them hit a key/ button in time. There was workarounds for that by lowering the resolution.... it was not a game problem.

If you can replicate the same issue on completely different platform with the same software does not classify as something that needs to be fixed. I admit I have a low end card(GTX 460) but if it had something to do with the graphic card then people with higher end graphic cards/PC would not be facing the same issue.

Coding for a PC game is never easy and bugs such as these pop up as every PC has a different setup and you need to find the sweet spot in the setup to crash the game. Unfortunately our PCs setups are in that sweet. Ignoring it by saying that its a minority issue and only people with low spec PCs are facing it is wrong.

RVSage
12-13-2015, 07:55 PM
There are issues like game going into a desync loop on failing certain side missions. The solution i have for that is. restart game switch , characters, play another mission from different region of the map and then replay the desync mission. It should work

another known issue is 100% in pearl attaway mission,
Edit: Yax_x pointed out below pearl attaway mission bug was resolved

@OP Good job on trying to keep issues in a single thread :)

@clean consider upgrading your graphic card. Lot deals for 970 floating around

YazX_
12-13-2015, 10:28 PM
another known issue is 100% in pearl attaway mission, here is a solution

This issue has been solved in patch 1.21, the problem was the rear carriage of enemies are spawning and crossing the road too early thus killing the driver before you even reach it, now it does spawn properly.

strigoi1958
12-14-2015, 06:09 AM
If you can replicate the same issue on completely different platform with the same software does not classify as something that needs to be fixed. I admit I have a low end card(GTX 460) but if it had something to do with the graphic card then people with higher end graphic cards/PC would not be facing the same issue.

Coding for a PC game is never easy and bugs such as these pop up as every PC has a different setup and you need to find the sweet spot in the setup to crash the game. Unfortunately our PCs setups are in that sweet. Ignoring it by saying that its a minority issue and only people with low spec PCs are facing it is wrong.

nobody is ignoring it... I'm saying it does not affect most people... it is a minority problem and is difficult to resolve with all the different pc set ups and conflicting programs... if the game runs on 10,000 970's and 980's and a glitch on one 970 and one 980 can be replicated on 3 more does not make it a game issue, unfortunately, as much as we may not like to accept it, it must be a problem with those 5.... giving as much information as possible will help... pc specs, dx diag, version of windows and drivers plus anti virus and any background tasks all help because a common problem might come to light.

paul44al
12-14-2015, 11:00 AM
I've already posted this on another forum, but reading the responses here is not encouraging... Anyway, there are a lot more gamers out there with this particular problem. I've been going through quite a few forums (dito discussions) on this particular subject. And while I thought it was my "low spec" GPU, it is not since I've seen a few GTX980s with the same problem.
Anyway, I've posted an image with the 'offending' area here: http://imgur.com/lmUFE7t. Entering the upper half of the area - guaranteed - crashes the game. The lower part is a bit more fussy: some parts (near the water) can be accessed; others not. For instances, one can cross the (left) bridge (next to the railway station), but not the railway bridge itself (nor any of the other bridges in that area)... If you are on the train, and enter that area, it will crash. If you are unlucky and the game tries to respawn you within that area, your save "just became corrupt"... (which could happen during the first 'gang war leader kill').
You might notice that 'Seq 4 ~ distribution boss' & 'kill the snipers'-side_mission are played within that (lower part) area. In fact, I was able to play the game for most part, by just avoiding this area; but now got finally stuck since any new (side)mission either forces me to access this area, or ends there (like the Gatling side_mission) ~ without a possible workaround...

Btw: I have a GTX 560 OC (win 7); and playing on Low is smooth and without ANY hickups/stuttering/etc... except in that particular area. All drivers/etc. are up-to-date.
I do understand the challenge sw developers have to face in the PC world, but just using that as an excuse to NOT look into the matter, is a bit too easy. No offense.

ps: event viewer log:
Faulting application name: ACS.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x564afc7f
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.19045, time stamp: 0x56259295
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

EDIT:
@Darfpunk: I was able to play all Seq 4 missions (with or without workaround). Just make sure not to start any mission on the train while it is approaching/entering the "offending" area! (if it starts with a intro scene, you'll be still on the train and moving...). I'm finally stuck with some Seq 5/8 missions (70% progress)

EDIT2:
@strigoi1958: no nvidia game experience or shadowplay installed (or any other game "enhancing tools"). Reverted back my gpu drivers upto 350.x (and even lower, I think). In principle, I followed this very helpfull page: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1332347-ACS-Troubleshooting-Guide-and-Possible-Solutions. I also followed an excellent page on NTDLL error_fixing... As for Win updates, I can not revert back; that would be too much of a hazzle.
That said: I will try 'wagnards ddu' this evening. Another option I plan to do - if the next update does not solve my issue - is to reinstall/play on a "fresh" Win 7 installation. (I make use of an imagecopy tool, allowing me to quickly restore my system drive)...
UPDATE: just uninstalled nvidia drivers (using DDU), then reinstalled (no go).
Fyi: to give you an idea what one can expect, see this: http://imgur.com/ZD5357Q. If I walk off the ledge towards the chest (stand on X) in order to open it, the game will crash?!

Darfpunk
12-14-2015, 12:45 PM
@paul Thanks for your screenshot. I too have encountered problems in that area. I'm always cautious of going into that area and with quite a few missions that require entering into that area, I suspect some point in the game those who have this problem will get stuck. I hope the problem can be patched though. Do you have problems with Crate Escape though, I cannot even start that mission.

strigoi1958
12-14-2015, 02:50 PM
@Paul

it may well happen on a 980 or a 970 or any other card... it does not happen on them all... which means there is a problem on the affected PC's regardless of gpu....
NTDLL.dll problems are caused by many things ranging from the ntdll.dll itself may be corrupt to driver corruption. So far this fault seems to affect only nvidia gpu's unless I've only seen the 6 or 7 posters and there are some AMD guys out there...
Do you have geforce experience installed? it can cause problems with games... shadowplay has known issues as well. Have you tried previous drivers? I am running 355.82 because of issues with multiple games with the 359 and 359.06 drivers... these issues do not affect everyone but maybe these drivers cause problems with your games. also use wagnards ddu (display driver uninstaller from guru3d.com) because nvidias clean driver install is very bad and leaves data behind that can be corrupted.
Also make sure you do not install drivers from windows updates as that is also a known source of ntdll and driver problems.

AaronJKelley
12-15-2015, 02:13 AM
Okay, so NO, this is NOT a minority problem. You can simple Google "Assassins Creed Syndicate acs.exe" and find MANY forums and posts regarding this. I've been having the issue ever since I got the game. I have MANY games on my computer and never have app crashes with my set up.

So for kicks and giggles, here's my set up.

GIGABYTE GA-H97M-D3H LGA 1150 Intel H97
Intel Core i5-4690 Haswell Quad-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1150
ASUS GeForce STRIX-GTX960 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5
20GB G.Skill RipJaw DDR3 1600 RAM
Samsung Evo SSD
WD Black 7200RPM 1TB

And for even more kicks and giggles, here's the error log.

Faulting application name: ACS.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x56533c7a
Faulting module name: ddumd.dll, version: 8.1.0.2443, time stamp: 0x56384394
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000027865
Faulting process id: 0x88a0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d136d38e3ed55f
Faulting application path: D:\Games\Ubisoft\Assassin's Creed Syndicate\ACS.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ddumd.dll
Report Id: 2dc36481-792a-434b-8216-4319fa13f9d4
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

strigoi1958
12-15-2015, 02:27 AM
how many is MANY out of the hundreds of thousands of sales... MANY is not a number... also MANY here post the same post in MANY forums MANY times... it doesn't make it more people with the problem we are not talking 50 percent of all the games sold on PC so it is a minority problem... whether you or I like that word or not...

Have you googled ddumd.dll ?
it is a dll used by OBASE and it sometimes installed by a 3rd party software for ipads that uses usb to transmit video... probably some ipad software... remove it and your game will probably work.

YazX_
12-15-2015, 11:10 AM
Okay, so NO, this is NOT a minority problem. You can simple Google "Assassins Creed Syndicate acs.exe" and find MANY forums and posts regarding this. I've been having the issue ever since I got the game. I have MANY games on my computer and never have app crashes with my set up.

So for kicks and giggles, here's my set up.

GIGABYTE GA-H97M-D3H LGA 1150 Intel H97
Intel Core i5-4690 Haswell Quad-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1150
ASUS GeForce STRIX-GTX960 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5
20GB G.Skill RipJaw DDR3 1600 RAM
Samsung Evo SSD
WD Black 7200RPM 1TB

And for even more kicks and giggles, here's the error log.

Faulting application name: ACS.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x56533c7a
Faulting module name: ddumd.dll, version: 8.1.0.2443, time stamp: 0x56384394
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000027865
Faulting process id: 0x88a0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d136d38e3ed55f
Faulting application path: D:\Games\Ubisoft\Assassin's Creed Syndicate\ACS.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ddumd.dll
Report Id: 2dc36481-792a-434b-8216-4319fa13f9d4
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

i googled the dll file you are getting the error with and this came up, try it out:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

GhostAssassinLT
12-15-2015, 01:05 PM
AaronJKelley, here's another post regarding the same dll file: https://steamcommunity.com/app/287700/discussions/0/490121928348994109/

TreadLife
12-15-2015, 11:54 PM
Appreciate the thread trying to help people with at least temporary workarounds. As I also, don't like the idea of keeping away from the game indefinitely and waiting for a fix that may or may not happen.
Really don't see why one user who is fortunate enough to have no issues feels the need to campaign against the people who are looking for help with this issue. Yes, it is not a "minor" issue and there are "many" people affected. Nobody is going to bother to look up specific quantities, just as any guessed number can also been tossed casually around this thread or forum. The problem gets posted numerous times by people any given day or week, and there is often inconsistency in how they word it.
I can admit that for a short time I almost felt alone with the issue, until I started to see the variety of the way wording the issue or thread titles people have had.

strigoi1958
12-16-2015, 06:19 AM
I guess you mean me...
It's just that I get fed up with people coming here and blaming Ubisoft and acting like it is affecting millions of people when in fact it is a tiny amount. Once people understand there is nothing wrong with the game, then they understand it is something to do with their system or components or software....
when that happens... things seem to happen.
In the past people have come here and said it is not my problem, ubisoft should make a patch... as if anyone in the world could wave a magic wand and fix the thousands of possible causes... they do not help themselves.... when they realise the problem lies at their end they become more pro-active and try all solutions systematically and post back results.

Like AaronJKelly I doubt he thought ipad software could be responsible for stopping games working

DazKRaptorSquad
12-18-2015, 07:12 AM
For me I stopped getting the ACS.exe error completely when I overrode the Nvidia Optimisation in GeForce Experience and lowered my graphics to mostly medium as I only have a 2K GTX770.

paul44al
12-22-2015, 02:35 PM
I updated the game this morning, and unfortunately my 'area' crashing remains (see my prev post). I then decided to reinstall Win 7 x64 to its basic installation (without any updates), no AV; then installed nvidia driver and VC++ 2010/2012/13 x64/DirectX. It can't be cleaner then that, but game still crashes in aforementioned area.
Too bad, but such is live ('a b****', someone famous once stated)...

T_Max1
12-25-2015, 04:18 PM
Hey all, i'm sure that if you are here, you most likely accounted some app crashes which are really game breaking. For those like me who love assassin's creed a lot but are finding it difficult and discouraging when the game keeps crashing on you, fret not, I have managed to avoid some crashes that can allow you to continue the game. Please feel free to add workarounds for the various missions in which you encounter crashes so they can be fixed/ workaround in the meantime.

Main Missions

Seq 3 Gang War: Whitechapel > To prevent game from crashing, eliminate Rexford Kaylock as soon as possible on top of train before the river. After which, skip the cinematic.
Seq 4 A Spoonful of Syrup> The part that requires you to find the distribution boss, entering the factory will cause the game to crash. Workaround is to lure the distribution boss into fleeing mode by killing his guard near him. This will cause him to run out of the factory into your loving hands.
Seq 4 Crate Escape > Immediate game crash upon starting mission. No workarounds yet, i'm currently stuck here.

Train Hideout Memories

Stalk the Stalker > The part where you need to take out snipers that are trying to kill Agnes. Avoid doing the aerial takedowns as that area the snipers are on could lead to game crashes. Therefore, use range weapons to kill them instead.

A side note: Since so many people are encountering this problem with the game on PC, I really doubt it is due to graphics driver updates etc. The game runs smoothly every other location but its just that something in these locations are causing the game to crash be it error coding issues or something else. I hope this info helps you a little. I'm sorry I cannot find any more workarounds as yet as it is quite frustrating sometimes when you are doing the mission so well and it just crashes. Remember to backup your saves as you may find yourself with an autosave in a crash-prone area of the game.

Do help if you find workarounds to common problems PC Assassins are facing. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Darfpunk
Nothing is true, everything is permitted

OP, Thanks to point out that, Some say " no one talk about ". No No A lot of People talk about this but they talk in their own way. I am thinking about put the puzzle together. My problem is Data corrupt in River Thames Area and near surrounding. All crash point that area ( most of the time. For example : Charles ****en mission ( ghost girl ), First boss fight, Gatling Gun Mission, Spoon full of Syrup, Secret of London music box, evie sniper air assassinate points, Liberation mission (2 in london and one in Thames ).

Please find my other post and we can told ubisoft to understand and up it in the "KNOWN ISSUE" or whatever LOL

sorry for my eng, not first language. :)

Darfpunk
12-25-2015, 04:22 PM
I have also updated the game and it still crashes in the area you mentioned as well. Just going to wait until other patches come around in the hopes that I can continue one of my favourite games. I don't see the need to upgrade my system since this is the only game I am having problems with.

wstiker
02-29-2016, 03:45 PM
it's kind of you to share and I hope you solve your problem, but, where are all these people with your problems ? the forum is very quiet at present. I never had any of these problems (which doesn't mean they do not exist for the minority) so I guess I can say "since so many people are not here saying they are encountering these problems with the game on PC... it cannot be the game" ;) You should never assume you're in the majority unless there are thousands posting with the same thing, You should never assume it is not your own system especially when it runs perfectly well on other people's systems. It' is very probable that some others will have similar problems but assuming it is the game when others have no problem is not logical.

Posting your PC specs is always a good start also verifying your game (sometimes 2 or 3 times) will help... and trust me drivers ARE a big problem to games and PC's. Nvidia 359.00 causes my system to crash to blue screen and stop during the information collecting section in the restart. 355.82 causes crashes in multiple games and makes my GPU fans act like a helicopter taking off. I first came here to the forum to complain and it was a driver that turned AC3 blue and another completely crashed Splinter Cell Blacklist so much, I un-installed it and cannot bring myself to re-install it again.

I'm one of those people who are having this problem. Perhaps I need a new, more powerful video card or something. But this game played perfectly until I got to the scene atop the train where I have to kill Rexford Kaylock, and here it freezes up ever freakin' time. I'm trying to kill him quickly so that I can skip the cutscene and move on.....but what happens the next time? Ubisoft has not issued any fix for this that I know of. I'm very disappointed. Oh, and I do NOT have the ddumd.dll file on my PC. All the other AC games played just fine on my system. One note, though....my NVIDIA game experience told me flat out that my video card could not be optimized for this game, as it is simply not powerful enough. I suspect it as a problem, but why then does the rest of the game play just fine until I get to where I need to kill Rexford?

wstiker
02-29-2016, 07:03 PM
Here's a follow up. I managed to kill off Kaylock well before I left the train station, and successfully bypassed the cutscene, only to have the game freeze yet again as it tried to transition to the next scene. Sigh.

Jessigirl2013
03-01-2016, 03:50 PM
Here's a follow up. I managed to kill off Kaylock well before I left the train station, and successfully bypassed the cutscene, only to have the game freeze yet again as it tried to transition to the next scene. Sigh.

Whats your specs?