PDA

View Full Version : Which is your favourite Assassin's Creed Soundtrack? [Post Syndicate]

Sorrosyss
12-12-2015, 03:29 PM
Only ten poll options allowed, so a few of the tertiary releases had to be omitted;

Freedom Cry
Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China
etc

Poll is multi choice, so choose all that apply if you are torn.

VernalBreak
12-12-2015, 06:08 PM
I didn't vote at all since freedom cry was my favorite soundtrack and that is not listed.

SixKeys
12-12-2015, 06:16 PM
AC1 is, and probably always will be my top favorite. Then ACB, AC2 and AC4 (in that order). I almost checked Syndicate as well because there are a few gorgeous tracks on the soundtrack and I love the music in freeroam, but I would have to listen to the soundtrack a couple more times to see whether it counts as one of my favorites.

BananaBlighter
12-12-2015, 07:57 PM
Poor Syndicate, wish I could go back and vote for it now. I went with BF and AC3, though there are some really nice ones in Syndicate's soundtrack. Overall though, it's not at that level for me.

LieutenantRex
12-12-2015, 08:18 PM
Voted for AC3 and ACR. Abstained from voting for BF because that game's soundtrack was overrated and forgettable, much like the abomination that it stemmed from.

RVSage
12-12-2015, 08:37 PM
AC IV and AC II any day :D

rrebe
12-13-2015, 12:32 AM
My favourites are AC3, AC4 and Syndicate soundtracks

Sorrosyss
12-13-2015, 01:20 AM
I didn't vote at all since freedom cry was my favorite soundtrack and that is not listed.

Alas, apologies. But it was either drop a DLC, or a full game from the poll list. I chose the former.

Farlander1991
12-13-2015, 01:56 AM
Black Flag and after it Revelations. Those are the soundtracks from which I have the most tracks on my laptop/phone separately, insanely listenable outside of the game.

While all AC games, IMO, undeniably have great sound overall (as an experience in the game), to me usually more than half of the tracks are really meh without context. And even with context, a lot of tracks that sound good in game, they are just so boring to me outside of it. Like, for the life of me, I can't listen to ACII combat and escape tracks by themselves. Like, yeah, there are some cool moments like in Venice Fight (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQHAe3jt36I) the part at 1:30 I really like, but the rest? Duuuuuuuuuuuuull.

And context is important, I always listen to AC soundtracks before I play the game, and, for example, Acre Underworld which is now one of my favourite tracks from AC1, before I played the game was meeeeeh. After playing the game, I love it and enjoy listening to it outside of the game. But not every track's like this.

Sorrosyss
12-13-2015, 02:41 AM
You make a good point about individual tracks, farlander. For example, when I think of AC2 it's Ezio's Family and Venice Rooftops. ACB's City of Rome. AC3's An Uncertain Present. They are all what I associate, yet in the grand scheme they only make up a handful of tracks in each album.

I suppose you go with what you find more memorable. For me though, the Kyd/Balfe period stands above the latter half of the franchise. Somehow they are the ones I end up listening to the most. They all had a signature feel with the taiko drums, and the heavy emphasis on the epic sub genre - mixing modern with classical instruments. The escape themes always put me in a state of panic. I feel the earlier games just managed to gel slightly better with the general ambient tones as well. But then that is an issue for the newer games, as they have relatively less ambient music - a design decision that troubles many fans.

D.I.D.
12-13-2015, 03:24 AM
While all AC games, IMO, undeniably have great sound overall (as an experience in the game), to me usually more than half of the tracks are really meh without context. And even with context, a lot of tracks that sound good in game, they are just so boring to me outside of it. Like, for the life of me, I can't listen to ACII combat and escape tracks by themselves. Like, yeah, there are some cool moments like in Venice Fight (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQHAe3jt36I) the part at 1:30 I really like, but the rest? Duuuuuuuuuuuuull.

Very true. I think it still deserves all the praise as a soundtrack though. A lot of my favourite movie soundtracks don't really work as listening material either, but they're designed to be a component in something else. For a game soundtrack, there's a particular skill in making a piece of music that isn't going to make you grind your teeth when you hear it for the hundredth time. You've also got to make something that's melodically acceptable to the broadest range of tastes. No doubt a lot of "better" pieces of music got thrown out along the way.

The AC2 and ACB soundtracks are particularly great because mood rules everything. They only rarely try and lead with melody, and often the mood is happening via the bass end. I especially loved the music that plays after liberating a Borgia Tower in ACB. It's not success music - it's really doomy music that says "You just killed a man", which in a way makes you feel better than any triumphant music could. There's a lot of queasy pitch-bending bass in that game that has an excellent dark effect, while at other times in AC2 and ACB you get this fuzzy warm bass that lets the more blissful motifs float over the top.

ImaginaryRuins
12-13-2015, 03:26 AM
AC1: City of Jerusalem (a very peaceful Middel-East theme), Acre Underworld (perfect stalk theme), Access the Animus (chase theme).
AC2: Earth (from Ezio to an Assassin), Venice Rooftops (run free), Ezio's family (unofficial AC series theme), Home in Florenece (carefree), Tour of Venice (such a dreamy theme)
ACB: Villa Under Attack (don't give up! Fight!), Apple Chamber (mysterious)
ACR: Assassin's Creed Theme (even heroes have an end)
AC3: Aquila (love the ship battles), Homestead (a loving, caring small community)
AC4: Sea Shanties (nothing like singing along with fellow pirates on the open sea)
ACS: Hats and Swords (the vibrance of London)

SixKeys
12-13-2015, 04:44 AM
Black Flag and after it Revelations. Those are the soundtracks from which I have the most tracks on my laptop/phone separately, insanely listenable outside of the game.

And context is important, I always listen to AC soundtracks before I play the game, and, for example, Acre Underworld which is now one of my favourite tracks from AC1, before I played the game was meeeeeh. After playing the game, I love it and enjoy listening to it outside of the game. But not every track's like this.

I guess it's down to personal taste. AC soundtracks are some of my most played albums, I don't understand how so many people find them dull outside of the games. I listen to a lot of instrumental/soundtrack music in general, though.

LieutenantRex
12-13-2015, 06:39 AM
I guess it's down to personal taste. AC soundtracks are some of my most played albums, I don't understand how so many people find them dull outside of the games. I listen to a lot of instrumental/soundtrack music in general, though.

As do I, doll. ;)

Taste, however, is subjective and is thus subject to scrutiny by those with better taste. As noted by the OP, as the series has progressed, so has the memorability of the music that had so long accompanied it. I can recall several tracks from each game up until BF, because that game was terrible along with its score. This seems to hold correlation with the inconsistencies of the composers, who must struggle between crafting distinctive and profound themes akin to those that both Kyd and Balfe managed to achieve, and capturing the era with an accurate, if not cliché, overall period composition, which leads to laziness and the forgettable scores that have plagued the recent games. But I'm no expert, so whatever.

VernalBreak
12-13-2015, 08:03 AM
Alas, apologies. But it was either drop a DLC, or a full game from the poll list. I chose the former.

I guess I can understand that but to me no other game had music of any quality near freedom cry.

EDIT: I relistened to unity's soundtrack and it is at the level of freedom cry's awesomeness. Still other than unity no other game's full soundtrack compares. There were some songs I loved in ac2 ac1 and black flag but never a full soundtrack as good as unity and freedom cry.

D.I.D.
12-13-2015, 10:18 AM

I listen to more instrumental music than music with words, so it's not an attention problem. I just find the Kyd soundtracks to be a bit basic and dry outside of their environment (which is fine with me, for the reasons above, and it doesn't mean I don't like them). The production works against them too, because they've been mixed in a very undynamic way and the programming isn't very expressive.

BananaBlighter
12-13-2015, 12:32 PM

Yeah, I think Syndicate's soundtrack feels great in game but I can't pull myself to listen to in my free time. Same goes for a few others, like AC1 and 2. Instead I always go for AC3 and 4. I had a really hard time choosing on the poll since pretty much every game has really memorable tunes, though in the end I chose those that feel great out of the game too. BTW, I was recently playing SoM with AC3's full soundtrack on repeat in the background, and it was AMAZING!!!

Farlander1991
12-13-2015, 02:32 PM
When it comes to Syndicate so far there's just one tune that I like outside of the game, and that's the Bloodlines theme. And, I should note that not in the way it appears in 'Bloodlines' because there it's just janky and jarring to me, I really love the variation from Top Hats and Sword Canes though. I suppose it helps that Bloodlines is a leitmotif that is seen in a lot of Syndicate's tracks. Austin actually did a similar thing in Journey where the whole soundtrack is the same leitmotif in each track but with different variations. And out of the whole Journey soundtrack there's like just one or two tracks that I like and the rest - meh.

But, yeah, I listen to quite a lot of instrumental music and quite a lot of soundtracks, and to me it's normal that something that enhances the whole experience of a certain work does not necessarily work well outside of that experience. For example, I don't think there's a track from The Last of Us that I'd ever listen to outside of the game. But when you play it, that guitar soundtrack enhances the experience so much.

D.I.D.
12-13-2015, 06:31 PM
Farlander - Surely there's more you'd like than that? If nothing else, the adaptations of "Abide With Me"/"Eventide"? Is your heart made of stone? ;)

Farlander1991
12-13-2015, 06:36 PM
Farlander - Surely there's more you'd like than that? If nothing else, the adaptations of "Abide With Me"/"Eventide"? Is your heart made of stone? ;)

Are they actually on the soundtrack or were they unreleased? Didn't go through unreleased material yet.

Though Abide with me (it plays when we're on top of elizabeth tower, correct?) is something that won't go in my music collection and I'm not sure what eventide is.

D.I.D.
12-13-2015, 06:59 PM
I don't have the ACS soundtrack, I'm just going by the music in the game.

Abide With Me is a hymn using the lyrics of a Scottish poem married to the tune of an English melody (Eventide). It appears constantly through the game as soundtrack, and as music played by bands in parks. They use it because the tune was composed not long before Syndicate's time period (they also drop other contemporary songs in there, although I'm a bit confused why I heard a woman singing the Eton Boating Song in a pub - maybe the sheet music was more popular at the time than I knew?). It's got great emotional significance to many Londoners, being sung before football games (the FA Cup final (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_VuQFZ5cPE) especially) and in Rugby. It's one of those things, like Jerusalem (https://youtu.be/X8VH0sbEU20) (too recent for Syndicate, unfortunately), which remains powerful to the spirit of British people even as we become increasingly secular. A lot of people think that the questioning but spiritual Jerusalem would be a much better National Anthem than the one with which we're currently saddled (God Save the Queen being rather divisive and having a pretty terrible history in previous incarnations of the lyrics).

Farlander1991
12-13-2015, 07:08 PM
Well, I guess you have to be a Londoner (or be really familiar with the culture) to appreciate Syndicate's music beyond 'provides atmosphere in-game', because that's what most of it is for me.

D.I.D.
12-13-2015, 07:14 PM
Ah, maybe. I assumed with so many people picking up on the music they loved in Syndicate that this particular riff on a traditional song was part of the appeal around the world, too.

In any case, I really appreciated them identifying and including a contemporary classic in such a strong way, and I hope that's something that will continue. I would love to learn about each country's folk music as we visit.

SixKeys
12-14-2015, 12:28 AM
"Peace and I Are Strangers Grown" is one of the best AC tracks ever and nobody can convince me otherwise.

D.I.D.
12-14-2015, 12:40 AM
@Six Keys - Good call, that's lovely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inQHl4CpMSk

It's a shame we have the Animus framing everything sometimes, otherwise Syndicate really should have ended pre-credits with this song: all the characters dancing on the stage of the Alhambra Theatre, and the curtain dropping at the end.

Farlander1991
12-14-2015, 12:42 AM
"Peace and I Are Strangers Grown" is one of the best AC tracks ever and nobody can convince me otherwise.

Not that I'm trying to convince you, but.... meh :p I like it when I hear it during my playthroughs, but listening to it on its own brings nothing but boredom. I guess I'm a horrible person or smth :D

(obviously it's all to personal taste, that track though literally does nothing to me... ok, well, the first 20 seconds do, but then it doesn't, I don't really like the progression and it just feels janky and stitched together with the vocals and instrumentals intersecting in a weird way, something I don't notice when I'm in the game)

SixKeys
12-14-2015, 12:55 AM
Not that I'm trying to convince you, but.... meh :p I like it when I hear it during my playthroughs, but listening to it on its own brings nothing but boredom. I guess I'm a horrible person or smth :D

(obviously it's all to personal taste, that track though literally does nothing to me... ok, well, the first 20 seconds do, but then it doesn't, I don't really like the progression and it just feels janky and stitched together with the vocals and instrumentals intersecting in a weird way, something I don't notice when I'm in the game)

For me it's very evocative of some of the most praised music in the series, especially "Dream of Venice" or "Echoes of the Roman Ruins". When people first heard "Bloodlines" in some of the demos, some were even convinced that "OMG Jesper Kyd is back!!". I guess I don't understand why people praise those tracks by Kyd but reject Syndicate.

Farlander1991
12-14-2015, 01:15 AM
For me it's very evocative of some of the most praised music in the series, especially "Dream of Venice" or "Echoes of the Roman Ruins". When people first heard "Bloodlines" in some of the demos, some were even convinced that "OMG Jesper Kyd is back!!". I guess I don't understand why people praise those tracks by Kyd but reject Syndicate.

Well, I don't like Echoes and never understood excitement about Bloodlines (I.e. The track, not the leitmotif, I think the track botched it cause the leitmotif is awesome), but I do love Dreams and comparing it to Strangers Grown, to me the latter one is much inferior. Dreams has flow, structure, progression, which makes it not just a great ambiance track, but a great standalone track. Strangers Grown might have all the elements Dream does, but they're just there, happen just because abruptly switching each other, and as result sounds nice only as something to accompany the game. There are a lot better flowing tracks than that in Syndicate ost. But that's just me, hope I'm not coming off as trying to prove you wrong or smth :)

Pandassin
12-14-2015, 05:26 PM
I voted AC4, there's not a singe track on there I don't like. The tavern songs are especially great :D

It's a shame the Syndicate soundtrack isn't getting more love, it's a really nice soundtrack. The little songs in it are great too, 'Underground' being a fantastic one.

rrebe
12-14-2015, 05:53 PM

I love it, gives me chills every time.

It's a shame the Syndicate soundtrack isn't getting more love, it's a really nice soundtrack. The little songs in it are great too, 'Underground' being a fantastic one.

Underground is so nice.

BananaBlighter
12-14-2015, 06:26 PM

I agree, that track is great at first but soon falls apart for me. Though it does feel extremely satisfying when I climb to the top of Nelson's column and is suddenly starts playing. My favourite track of this style is the one that plays in Westminster, 'Too Dreadful a Practice for this Open Air', though overall I prefer 'Underground'. Some of the traditional music is nice, especially some that aren't on the main soundtrack but came in the CE, namely 'Rat catcher's daughter' and 'The tale of Twopenny'.

Danny_rx7
12-15-2015, 12:53 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU3RJPzkw74&index=14&list=PLKx4G37yOuPWNc3uEJgP0XJqafqQ-opXv

RinoTheBouncer
12-15-2015, 05:00 AM
Assassin's Creed: Revelations always wins in terms of music and atmosphere as well as the way the story is presented. It's just epic. Both the main game soundtrack and the Desmond's Journey and The Lost Archive DLC soundtracks create a totally immersive, warm and/or haunting mood. I just love it.

ACII comes next alongside ACI and ACIII.

SixKeys
12-15-2015, 08:10 AM
I agree, that track is great at first but soon falls apart for me. Though it does feel extremely satisfying when I climb to the top of Nelson's column and is suddenly starts playing. My favourite track of this style is the one that plays in Westminster, 'Too Dreadful a Practice for this Open Air', though overall I prefer 'Underground'. Some of the traditional music is nice, especially some that aren't on the main soundtrack but came in the CE, namely 'Rat catcher's daughter' and 'The tale of Twopenny'.

After the Twopenny mission I walked into a random pub and stopped to listen to the guy playing the piano, and he was singing that song about Twopenny. Don't know if that always happens right after that particular mission, but I thought it was cool. Reminds me of how the town criers in the Ezio games would sometimes comment on events that you had a hand in.

AquilaTempestas
12-15-2015, 10:17 AM
2, 3 and 4. The other OST's just don't compare to the emotive scores these games present.

ACfan443
12-15-2015, 12:59 PM
AC1 and AC2 have the best soundtracks in my opinion, some really uniquely crafted soundscapes in those scores. Honourable mention goes to Brotherhood for this gem:

https://youtu.be/ROutB8LCoiw
The guitars at 2:10 are so good, I like the more acoustic sound of this variation compared to the AC2 version.