PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft China involved in a "Large part of production" for next Assassin's game

pacmanate
12-11-2015, 08:48 PM
Full Credit to Access the Animus - https://www.facebook.com/AccessTheAnimus/posts/727125340721711

"It appears that the day before yesterday, during a Microsoft game developers conference in Beijing, Ubisoft China has confirmed that a new Assassin's Creed game is in development.The following information comes from Chinese articles that we translated through web translators, so it might not be accurate. If anyone is willing to help us with it, please do it in the comments below!
- Yang Hailong, the person in charge for the Ubisoft PC / console games distribution said that a new Assassin's Creed "work" has been in the production, and that Ubisoft China is also involved in a large part of the production, including art directions, new design elements and such."

The reason I'm posting this as news is because I find this interesting. Is this an indication of where the next AC game could be heading? I can't personally remember the last time Ubisoft China really got a forefront mention for anything, let alone be involved in a large part of production for AC games.

What do you guys think? Personally I think it's time we moved away from the west, it's getting tiresome for me now and I HOPE that this is an indicator that the next game is in China.

I-Like-Pie45
12-11-2015, 09:01 PM
Watch it turn out to be a Wild West game, and all Ubi China did was polish the horses so that they gained intelligence.

And if it does turn out to be China, just prepare for an extremely sanitized black and white story... cause the Government of PRC no likey when something raises too many questions about the nature of freedom vs control

D.I.D.
12-11-2015, 09:13 PM
I'm in touch with someone in China who recently got a new job with Ubi and the AC projects. I won't be asking any questions because I don't want to risk any problems for that person with regard to NDAs, but I guess the fact that Ubi's been adding more staff in China adds to the intrigue! It could just be about expanding a team and a market, and nothing to do with a setting, of course.

pacmanate
12-11-2015, 09:24 PM
It could just be about expanding a team and a market, and nothing to do with a setting, of course.

For sure, it could literally be anything, but speculation is fun

I-Like-Pie45
12-11-2015, 09:36 PM
And if it's China, how exactly will the voice acting be handled?

Will it be full-on Mandarin or Cantonese voice acting, with English subtitles? - leading to people complaining about having to read subtitles

Neutral voices like Altair in AC1? - leading to people complaining about "American" accents for the characters

Stereotypical Asian Speakee English accents with lots of Chinese words thrown into the dialogue? - some people complain about the ridiculous accents, while others say its better than no accents or British accents

Or will Evie, Jacob, and Henry Green be traveling to China so there can be an excuse for British accents? - you know how this one ends

cawatrooper9
12-11-2015, 09:40 PM
I'd love a China game... but it seems odd that they'd do one so soon after Chronicles- I guess I felt like that was AC basically trying to placate the China fans.

If this ends up being true, I'll be happy, because it'll also mean Russia and India aren't out of the picture.

ze_topazio
12-11-2015, 10:07 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1315747-When-Will-AC-2016-Leak?p=11211526&viewfull=1#post11211526

I was first. http://www.narutoforums.com/images/smilies/catlove.gif

And if it's China, how exactly will the voice acting be handled?

Will it be full-on Mandarin or Cantonese voice acting, with English subtitles? - leading to people complaining about having to read subtitles

Neutral voices like Altair in AC1? - leading to people complaining about "American" accents for the characters

Stereotypical Asian Speakee English accents with lots of Chinese words thrown into the dialogue? - some people complain about the ridiculous accents, while others say its better than no accents or British accents

Or will Evie, Jacob, and Henry Green be traveling to China so there can be an excuse for British accents? - you know how this one ends

Malaysian English of course, done by the people who dubbed DBZ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wG84efH4sw

ImaginaryRuins
12-12-2015, 03:42 AM
I'm from HK and can read Chinese. Here is more info. from the three website links:

Mr. Yeung from Ubisoft said he didn't want the AC series to become an annual launch. So the development cycle may be longer that next year there may not be an AC title. Of course, the new AC title is under development, but it can't alter time and space as freely as Far Cry can becasue the AC series is very strict about timeline and historical backgrounds.

He admits that players' exchange on multiplayer is important, so multiplaying will return

Anwyay, as a Hongkonger, I have to say I don't look forward to an AC game made in China. As others have said before, there is very strict censorship in China. If AC Chroncle China can't be launched in China when, in my opinion, there is already no sensitive content in the game, how can a full AC China game be well-executed by a studio in China?

If China indeed can be a setting, I hope it can be the Spring and Autumn Period - we already have too many hack-and-slash and real-time-strategy games in the Three Kingdom Era.

As for voice acting, if they can't find authentic Mandarin speakers, I would prefer listening to English. After all, I like English more than Mandarin.

pacmanate
12-12-2015, 07:09 PM
Thank you for your post!

I didn't know ACC didn't release in China, that's kinda odd if it was due to censorship.

About their possibly not being an AC game next year, maybe that makes sense because the movie is out and it will fill the place of a game. Also if a game is set in the East now it would have to use different/NEW assets which could be why there is an extra year.

Again all speculation on my part.

SixKeys
12-12-2015, 08:29 PM
I'm from HK and can read Chinese. Here is more info. from the three website links:

Mr. Yeung from Ubisoft said he didn't want the AC series to become an annual launch. So the development cycle may be longer that next year there may not be an AC title. Of course, the new AC title is under development, but it can't alter time and space as freely as Far Cry can becasue the AC series is very strict about timeline and historical backgrounds.

He admits that players' exchange on multiplayer is important, so multiplaying will return

Anwyay, as a Hongkonger, I have to say I don't look forward to an AC game made in China. As others have said before, there is very strict censorship in China. If AC Chroncle China can't be launched in China when, in my opinion, there is already no sensitive content in the game, how can a full AC China game be well-executed by a studio in China?

If China indeed can be a setting, I hope it can be the Spring and Autumn Period - we already have too many hack-and-slash and real-time-strategy games in the Three Kingdom Era.

As for voice acting, if they can't find authentic Mandarin speakers, I would prefer listening to English. After all, I like English more than Mandarin.

Thanks a lot for the info :)

I certainly wouldn't mind if AC took a year off, but I don't know if that's a realistic expectation. Interesting that someone from the company would bring up the possibility, though.

Very excited about the prospect of multiplayer returning, at least if it's the old PvP MP. I didn't care much for co-op.

As for China's censorship laws, it's not clear yet what aspects of the game the China studio is working on. It could be something as simple as being in charge of animations and other assets, nothing to do with the story. Judging by the OP mentioning art direction and new design elements, that's exactly what it sounds like to me.

Farlander1991
12-12-2015, 08:50 PM
China censorship laws don't really have much to do with what content the studio is making for the worldwide release. Not related to Ubisoft, but I know of assets made by Chinese studios for some western projects that later would be censored or changed in China.

Anyway, Ubisoft Chengdu has worked on/helped with six Assassin's Creed games already, so it's not like it's a big news. With each game they probably get more responsibilities which is natural in such big collaborations (and it's cool that they got an even bigger chunk for next one), but it doesn't mean that they're a lead dev for an AC game or that the next game will be in China.

ze_topazio
12-12-2015, 09:02 PM
Yeah, I don't think making the game there would be a problem, releasing the game there on the other hand, I read once that historical dramas are very popular in China, but censorships laws don't allow the old monarchy system to be glorified in any way, specially if that could make the modern Republic seem worse, on the other hand the laws don't allow the old monarchy and its many Emperors and any historical figures to be portrayed as anything else than the best thing to ever happen in the history of the world, complicated rules...

D.I.D.
12-13-2015, 03:06 AM
Yeah, I don't think making the game there would be a problem, releasing the game there on the other hand, I read once that historical dramas are very popular in China, but censorships laws don't allow the old monarchy system to be glorified in any way, specially if that could make the modern Republic seem worse, on the other hand the laws don't allow the old monarchy and its many Emperors and any historical figures to be portrayed as anything else than the best thing to ever happen in the history of the world, complicated rules...

Can that be true? There are lots of huge movies from China, historical epics featuring monarchies of the past, and they're not always the villains.

ImaginaryRuins
12-13-2015, 03:10 AM
Can that be true? There are lots of huge movies from China, historical epics featuring monarchies of the past, and they're not always the villains.

Not sure, anyway, the main point is not whether the rules are clear; it is whether the PRC government is happy or not. China is governed by men, not the law. If they say a game can't be launched, don't argue with them using the law. No use. The law is the authority's tool to oppress civilians and secure power.

ze_topazio
12-13-2015, 03:52 AM

No idea, but if true, sounds tough, you can't make the Emperors and their governments look too good but you need to portray the ancient Chinese civilization and its historical figures as the greatest civilization of the ancient world.

Anyway, ImaginaryRuins, would you like to see Hong Kong in an AC game? any specific period you would like?

whatr_those
12-13-2015, 05:00 AM
AC: Japan confirmed.

ImaginaryRuins
12-13-2015, 05:03 AM
Anyway, ImaginaryRuins, would you like to see Hong Kong in an AC game? any specific period you would like?

I'd love to see HK in an AC game but patriotism aside, I wonder how they will implement it, because HK wasn't that important until after the First and Second Opium War in the 19th century. Before that it was merely a humble fishing village. HK didn't really make something big in the world history back then, so I really can't think of any Assassin-Templar conflict in HK.

Like I said before, the Spring and Autumn Period might be nice because there were 7 major kingdoms fighting for power. Or, the short period afterward could be nice. One of the 7 kingdoms, Qin, eventually beat the rest 6 kingdoms, but the Qin emperor was known for his tyrany. In fact, an assassin, JingKe, attempted to assassinate the emperor but failed. That could fit in the AC world.

Now, in the Tang dynasty (8th century), there was speculation that one emperor didn't die of natural causes / disease, but was assassinated, by Nie Yinniang, a female assassin. That may also be nice.

AC: Japan confirmed.

Where did you get this info? Or have you mistaken fan-made artwork as official ones?

pacmanate
12-13-2015, 11:24 AM
Thanks a lot for the info :)

I certainly wouldn't mind if AC took a year off, but I don't know if that's a realistic expectation. Interesting that someone from the company would bring up the possibility, though.

Or.. could it? Every year Ubi's earning forecast will include sales of AC due to its annualisaton. With the movie releasing in 2016, they would hit that target for sure without the game.

Where did you get this info? Or have you mistaken fan-made artwork as official ones?

They were joking... although they even managed to say "Japan" even though the article was about China

m4r-k7
12-13-2015, 01:06 PM
Taking a year off and coming back with a full on China game would be one of the best pieces of AC news ever. But this won't happen. The next game will be 18th / 19th century, either Wild West, Russia or Germany.

SixKeys
12-14-2015, 12:24 AM
Or.. could it? Every year Ubi's earning forecast will include sales of AC due to its annualisaton. With the movie releasing in 2016, they would hit that target for sure without the game.

But if they were taking a year off because of the movie, surely they would try to spin it in a positive way ("we want to focus on quality control" etc.). Would someone from Ubisoft actually come out and say they aren't thrilled about AC being an annual thing? It'd be like biting the hand that feeds you.

Sesheenku
12-14-2015, 03:45 AM
But if they were taking a year off because of the movie, surely they would try to spin it in a positive way ("we want to focus on quality control" etc.). Would someone from Ubisoft actually come out and say they aren't thrilled about AC being an annual thing? It'd be like biting the hand that feeds you.

More like standing up to ******ed arbitrary timelines.

crusader_prophet
12-14-2015, 06:54 AM

I remember saying this with same logic, people disagreed.

ImaginaryRuins
12-14-2015, 09:59 AM
I don't think the taking a year off is relevant to the movie. After all, game production and movie production are handled by two completely different groups of people if I am not mistaken.

pacmanate
12-14-2015, 01:01 PM
I don't think the taking a year off is relevant to the movie. After all, game production and movie production are handled by two completely different groups of people if I am not mistaken.

That is true, but money.

AC is annualised because it gives Ubisoft money, that's just standard company stuff. IMO Ubi would gain more than enough money by just releasing the movie. I think it would be kinda weird to have a movie come out and a game in the same year just a month or 2 apart that don't even link together, or maybe that's just me.

I guess we will find out in the next 3 or so months.

m4r-k7
12-14-2015, 01:30 PM
That is true, but money.

AC is annualised because it gives Ubisoft money, that's just standard company stuff. IMO Ubi would gain more than enough money by just releasing the movie. I think it would be kinda weird to have a movie come out and a game in the same year just a month or 2 apart that don't even link together, or maybe that's just me.

I guess we will find out in the next 3 or so months.

It wouldnt be weird, especially for a company like Ubisoft. They are probably thinking that the movie will spark interest for the game and vice versa. Also, they are doing the movie to increase the brand appeal to people outside of video games. I highly highly doubt that they are going to miss this years AC game due to the movie. They will make money from the movie, but it will be less than the games sales figures. Putting a movie and a game out = even more money for them. As ImaginaryRuins said, they are done by different people anyway.