PDA

View Full Version : My idea and synopsis for an Assassin's Creed game set in WWII.

UnknownGamer1994
12-11-2015, 04:18 PM
Hi, I always wanted an Assassin's Creed set during WWII and the holocaust which revolves around the fight between the assassins to win the war and kill Hitler, the main templar that want control all over the world. Think about it, it's just make sense! here is my concept for the game...

Summary: By the time it seems the Templars won the war between the Assassins and all of the brotherhood of Assassins looks like a faded history: A young Jewish woman in Poland begins to discover the secrets of the brotherhood of Assassins and beyond her Jewish identity discover her identity as an assassin. She and her father who lost all of their family relatives to the Nazi regime during the Second World War unite all of their efforts for the greater good and find a hiding place where She will develop and create new connections to the aim of human freedom and beat the Templar Chief Hitler which crave to arrange inhuman and destruction of various denominations around the world.

Would you like to see an Assassin's Creed game set in WWII? let me know what you think :)

ImaginaryRuins
12-11-2015, 04:30 PM
In my opinion, WWII can accommodate Assassins and Templars, but in terms of gameplay, it may not be a good setting because by that time, guns had become much more modernized; people could easily kill others with guns and seldom use close-combat weapons anymore. However, using the hidden blade to assassinate has been core mechanics in the AC series.

JamesFaith007
12-11-2015, 04:34 PM
Hi, I always wanted an Assassin's Creed set during WWII and the holocaust which revolves around the fight between the assassins to win the war and kill Hitler, the main templar that want control all over the world. Think about it, it's just make sense! here is my concept for the game...

Summary: By the time it seems the Templars won the war between the Assassins and all of the brotherhood of Assassins looks like a faded history: A young Jewish woman in Poland begins to discover the secrets of the brotherhood of Assassins and beyond her Jewish identity discover her identity as an assassin. She and her father who lost all of their family relatives to the Nazi regime during the Second World War unite all of their efforts for the greater good and find a hiding place where She will develop and create new connections to the aim of human freedom and beat the Templar Chief Hitler which crave to arrange inhuman and destruction of various denominations around the world.

Would you like to see an Assassin's Creed game set in WWII? let me know what you think :)

First problem I see with your idea - Hitler wasn't Templar but Templar's puppet which is already established in lore. Known big boss of Templars in this era was Henry Ford.

And honestly I'm opposed to idea of WWII Ac. Too many core mechanics would have to be sacrifice to make it work.

VestigialLlama4
12-11-2015, 05:09 PM

The problem is that I would like to see a World War II game that tackles the holocaust as opposed to marrow chilling dreck like The Saboteur, but it's just that I don't think AC is the right format to tackle it.

An open world game set in a time of mass genocide will never really play well because if you are a player character with that amount of agency then it's expected that you would or should be able to do something to stop these events. That's why shooters where you play soldiers serving the Allied army generally plays more satisfactorily in a WW2 game.

There's also the Hitler-in-the-Room problem. In an open world game, theoretically there should be nothing to stop you from getting towards Hitler and killing him. If you have an open world Berlin in the 30s and 40s, you should be able to find Hitler in some official building and kill him. That's why I think 20s Berlin would be a better setting. It's a time of tentative limited peace, there is some amount of believable agency and Hitler for most of the 20s was an absolute nobody anyway, so it's possible to justify things.

My theory about the Assassins and World War II is that most or almost all of them were exterminated in the camps. The Templars collaborated with the Nazis to get rid of them, it's the only thing that explains that time, and it explains the overall decline of the Assassins in the 20th Century.

cawatrooper9
12-11-2015, 05:15 PM
Look, I want to air assassinate Hitler as much as the next guy-
but honestly, (and no offense) I find the idea of Hitler as the main antagonist in a WWII AC game to be kind of lazy. I'd much rather have him be the sort of "fake out" villain like De Sable, or (and I'm sure I'm going to butcher this name) Lafignuire. Maybe have another Nazi like Goebbels be the main villain, or someone that would be even deeper- Henry Ford perhaps (though, given the lore, that would be both obvious as well and a bit of a contradiction), or at least someone like him.

You know, some plot twist that we could Nazi coming.

VestigialLlama4
12-11-2015, 05:27 PM
Look, I want to air assassinate Hitler as much as the next guy-
but honestly, (and no offense) I find the idea of Hitler as the main antagonist in a WWII AC game to be kind of lazy. I'd much rather have him be the sort of "fake out" villain like De Sable, or (and I'm sure I'm going to butcher this name) Lafignuire. Maybe have another Nazi like Goebbels be the main villain, or someone that would be even deeper- Henry Ford perhaps (though, given the lore, that would be both obvious as well and a bit of a contradiction), or at least someone like him.

You know, some plot twist that we could Nazi coming.

I personally don't like that cliche one bit. I call it a cliche because you see it in Inglourious Basterds and also Xmen First Class and Captain America movies. You have Nazis who claim, "You know Hitler does suck, but I don't believe in his ideas, I am merely using him for my own agenda". So the idea is you have Nazis who serve Hitler but are somehow independent of him. The reason for this trope is that we know quite a lot about Hitler and the initial idea people had that he was a mastermind and visionary was false but at the same time they kind of want to keep the mystique of Nazi cool too...so you have Hitler 2: Electric Boogaloo...you see this in Wolfenstein as well.

We know for a fact that Hitler was running the show. But that the day to day plans was dreamt up by his subordinates who proposed the most radical ideas knowing fully well it's what the boss liked best.

I hated Germain in Unity, and it would piss me off if they say that World War 2, a war that murdered 50 million people was a scheme dreamt up by a Janitor in an apartment of Stutgart or something.

How I would do it is that, the Templars don't take Hitler seriously but they see him as a puppet and empower him because he has the first-civ DNA that can operate the Apple but then Hitler proves more cunning then they expected and he takes over their minds and organizations and uses them to institute the Holocaust. I think it would be a cool twist and show the terrible-ness of Templar ideas and philosophy, they think that they can manipulate the masses and then they get manipulated by their own puppet. Which by the way is close to what happened, many liberals and even conservatives liked Hitler at first, they thought he was doing the right thing in going after the minorities and the communists. But then they all got manipulated and co-opted by Hitler anyway.

cawatrooper9
12-11-2015, 05:37 PM
How I would do it is that, the Templars don't take Hitler seriously but they see him as a puppet and empower him because he has the first-civ DNA that can operate the Apple but then Hitler proves more cunning then they expected and he takes over their minds and organizations and uses them to institute the Holocaust. I think it would be a cool twist and show the terrible-ness of Templar ideas and philosophy, they think that they can manipulate the masses and then they get manipulated by their own puppet. Which by the way is close to what happened, many liberals and even conservatives liked Hitler at first, they thought he was doing the right thing in going after the minorities and the communists. But then they all got manipulated and co-opted by Hitler anyway.

I'd like that as a way to catalyze a struggle between the Templars, Assassins, and Nazis- perhaps we can finally get that "unity" that has been so long sought after (or perhaps it'll just be a three-way battle royale).

Still, I just don't like the idea of Hitler as the main villain in a game, even if he is somehow superpowered- reminds me too much of Wolfenstein (also a cliche, really). I don't know, it just seems kind of tacky to me.

I-Like-Pie45
12-11-2015, 05:44 PM
Winston Churchill was probably the real Templar mentor, it makes sense

JWRK
12-11-2015, 06:17 PM
Assassin's Creed 1944 :
stabbing blokes in Zurich

Now that would be a good troll.

VestigialLlama4
12-11-2015, 06:21 PM
Still, I just don't like the idea of Hitler as the main villain in a game, even if he is somehow superpowered- reminds me too much of Wolfenstein (also a cliche, really). I don't know, it just seems kind of tacky to me.

For me if you are making a game about World War II, i.e. actual WW2 and not Alternate Universe like the Wolfenstein games...if you are doing that then I don't see how you won't make the game tacky if you say someone other than Hitler is responsible for all the terrible things that happened. You can say that Hitler alone wasn't responsible but to say that Hitler was somebody else's puppet is false. As his biographer Ian Kershaw says, "Hitler is a necessary but not sufficient cause of the overall explanation but still you’d say or I would say ‘no Hitler no Holocaust.’ "

Having Hitler be some sort of Boss Fight at the end for you to punch or assassinate is tacky, but it would be even more tacky if you take the Unity approach and say random dipsh-- #4 was secretly in charge. There's no point making an AC game set in World War II where you don't confront attack or assassinate Hitler at the very end. If Ubisoft can't commit to that, then they shouldn't make an AC World War II game. It's that simple.

cawatrooper9
12-11-2015, 06:29 PM
For me if you are making a game about World War II, i.e. actual WW2 and not Alternate Universe like the Wolfenstein games...if you are doing that then I don't see how you won't make the game tacky if you say someone other than Hitler is responsible for all the terrible things that happened. You can say that Hitler alone wasn't responsible but to say that Hitler was somebody else's puppet is false. As his biographer Ian Kershaw says, "Hitler is a necessary but not sufficient cause of the overall explanation but still you’d say or I would say ‘no Hitler no Holocaust.’ "

Having Hitler be some sort of Boss Fight at the end for you to punch or assassinate is tacky, but it would be even more tacky if you take the Unity approach and say random dipsh-- #4 was secretly in charge. There's no point making an AC game set in World War II where you don't confront attack or assassinate Hitler at the very end. If Ubisoft can't commit to that, then they shouldn't make an AC World War II game. It's that simple.

See, I'd agree with that totally.

I'm not saying we'd make some excuse for Hitler- jeez, that would be terrible! No, if these sensitive subjects are to be part of a game, I think that blame should be given where it is due.

What I mean, is that, like in many AC games, perhaps the Templar plot is entwined with the historical events, but not necessarily synonymous with them. So, while Hitler would be portrayed as the monster that he is (and meet the gruesome end that he deserves), perhaps there is another plot as well- maybe revolving about the successors of the Nazi party even- and that could be where the game shifts its focus.

VestigialLlama4
12-11-2015, 06:46 PM
What I mean, is that, like in many AC games, perhaps the Templar plot is entwined with the historical events, but not necessarily synonymous with them.

They tried this approach in Captain America and Indiana Jones movies where you have Nazis searching for artifacts which might work in a pulp sort of way. It might also work if they largely focus on the North African Front or in London during the Blitz. But I generally don't see how it can happen with the Western front. It's practically impossible with the Eastern Front needless to say which was far and away the bloodiest part of the war.

So, while Hitler would be portrayed as the monster that he is (and meet the gruesome end that he deserves), perhaps there is another plot as well- maybe revolving about the successors of the Nazi party even- and that could be where the game shifts its focus.

Maybe a post-war Germany-set game. It would be like The Third Man perhaps and you can have that Noir atmosphere.

The other reason I am against a WW2 Game is that Assassin's Creed isn't really about war. There are war sequences, battles and fights, but it's about civilians and civilian life. A game set in Berlin and WW2 would be weird because well, the premise of all AC games is that the people are basically good and that the leaders are corrupting them but that wasn't true of Nazi Germany. The ordinary German people knew about the Holocaust, it was an open secret, the ones who tried to resist were the minority. The Germans remained loyal to Hitler till the bitter end...so it would be tough and depressing to make a game among ordinary Berliners during the late 30s and early 40s.

The 20s would be a better time in my view. There was still some innocence left.

I-Like-Pie45
12-11-2015, 06:55 PM
Innocence is a relative measure.

D.I.D.
12-11-2015, 07:06 PM
There's also the problem of how to portray this as a Assassin vs Templar thing. It's easy enough as a database entry and it sounds quite intriguing - you read it, you move on. And it's best that you do, because thinking about it to any depth becomes troublesome in the extreme to the fiction. You have to explain why, in a world that took time to believe what the Nazis were doing (for many even longer than the war itself, and some still don't believe it today) that the Assassins kept quiet because the secret of their war with the Templars was more precious than the lives of all those millions of slaughtered Jews, other immigrants, political dissidents, and others deemed inferior. All the soldiers who died needlessly because the Americans were slow to commit to the war, and because of the ambivalence of influential wealthy people as a class (some of whom were rightly horrified by Hitler, but some who actively supported him or even funded him and thought he should win). The civilians killed on both sides at home in their cities in the years of bombing.

It's pretty difficult to have the Assassins as heroes during these events given that they could have stopped this, when there are so few successes on which to pin Assassin involvement or even deaths of prominent Nazis during the whole thing. It's a constant tragedy until it ends, and the whole conflict ended the way it did with the benefit of a great deal of luck. Churchill is deeply troubling when you look at him closely. All of European culture is horribly anti-Jewish before and during the war, and Britain's was no exception. It would be hard to have the Assassins seemingly condoning the bombing of Dresden without taking action against the Allies. You have to explain why the Assassins didn't raise a worldwide alarm right at the start, or as soon as they found themselves unable to stop the Nazis directly.

I-Like-Pie45
12-11-2015, 07:19 PM
winston churchill can be explained as the true mastermind of the conflict as I have previously stated.

and the reason that the assassins didn't do anything about hitler during his rise to power can be explained as because it was what the German people wanted and the Assassins have always been about the people's desires be they good or bad - this is why Connor never betrayed the Revolution or why Ezio did not cut off the Medicis heads. And before they could do anything to stop all that war and holocaust stuff, 99% all got killed off as a test run for the Holocaust while all the Asian Assassins got shipped off to Unit 731 and the American Assassins were too busy dealing with their own problems.

cawatrooper9
12-11-2015, 08:13 PM
The other reason I am against a WW2 Game is that Assassin's Creed isn't really about war. There are war sequences, battles and fights, but it's about civilians and civilian life. A game set in Berlin and WW2 would be weird because well, the premise of all AC games is that the people are basically good and that the leaders are corrupting them but that wasn't true of Nazi Germany. The ordinary German people knew about the Holocaust, it was an open secret, the ones who tried to resist were the minority. The Germans remained loyal to Hitler till the bitter end...so it would be tough and depressing to make a game among ordinary Berliners during the late 30s and early 40s.

I absolutely agree about the war thing- in the past, AC games haven't really been all that successful at depicting warfare when they've tried.

Now, on the other topic, hear me out- I don't think Ubisoft should do a game in Berlin in the 30s and 40s either, I just don't think they could handle such a complex topic right now (honestly, I don't think many AAA companies could). However, what you've said, about the innocence of civilians during that time- well, it might be interesting to see an Assassins have to grapple with what they recognize as morally reprehensible (the Nazis, and the support they get from the people) and the sense of duty that they still feel to serve the people via their quest for free-thought. So, while the Assassin would view the people themselves as a large part of the problem, they're also sort of victims, in a way (the citizens, that is, not the soldiers/politicians/etc).

VestigialLlama4
12-11-2015, 08:36 PM
I absolutely agree about the war thing- in the past, AC games haven't really been all that successful at depicting warfare when they've tried.

I think the Battle of Bunker Hill was a good depiction of 18th Century Battle. The main reason AC doesn't do war right is that the violence is really toned down so you still get a largely sanitized battlefield. And a realistic take on World War 2 would fail automatically.

It's a fact that even shooting games, like Medal of Honor or Call of Duty don't come halfway close to the opening of Saving Private Ryan, even if they keep ripping off that D-Day sequence for all eternity.

However, what you've said, about the innocence of civilians during that time- well, it might be interesting to see an Assassins have to grapple with what they recognize as morally reprehensible (the Nazis, and the support they get from the people) and the sense of duty that they still feel to serve the people via their quest for free-thought. So, while the Assassin would view the people themselves as a large part of the problem, they're also sort of victims, in a way (the citizens, that is, not the soldiers/politicians/etc).

Well, that's kind of debatable. I mean the depressing thing about the Nazis and World War II in general is that they offer best proof of the Templar philosophy, that people are weak, that they follow leaders and look the other way and live with and adjust to the most awful stuff so long as it doesn't concern them. It's a fact that the Holocaust was an open secret among ordinary Germans because that program was too wide-scale and operated by more than 100,000 people across Germany, Poland and Czechoslavakia

Some aspects of Assassin gameplay would just not work at all. Like in earlier games, if an Assassin killed someone on the streets, ran and hide, you can kind of explain why the civilians don't fink you by thinking that the people are secretly on your side and supporting anyone who opposes the corrupt medieval society. But in Berlin of that time, you can be sure you would not be protected, you would be finked as would anyone who tried to help you. The loyalty and public support for the Nazis continued right unto Hitler died.

Hans684
12-11-2015, 08:51 PM
Don't see a problem. Make it like Unity by having it be Moderates vs Extreme/Fanatics. But at a larger scale, a Templar Civil War. It can be another Templar Reform but this one will return the order to the days before the Dark Age, meaning power at all cost, a green light on enslavement by POE and tyranny. Obviously the Moderates will lose or Abstergo wouldn't be what it is and as stated by Shaun in Unity, history about good Templars are harder to find since the Extremist/Fanatics erase it far better than with the Assassins who's more or less always fighting them. And you can simply throw the Assassins in there as the entire thing is a controlled mess and regardless of what side you are at you're doing exactly what the Extremists/Fanatics want since the entire thing is just a distraction allowing them to found Abstergo. As for the open world, make it like Freedom Cry but far more brutal with higher chance of failure. Like when liberating a consentration camp, the camp will be a complex black box side mission with mutible option to how to aprotch the situation. Like making using a tunnel to free them or steal keys and kill soliders wile guiding them. Plot twist? You'll most likly be detected on the way out forcing you to defend them and distract the soliders or they get attacked by a convoy after getting out. So as long as someone get out it's counted as a win, even if they die moments after in the open world.

D.I.D.
12-11-2015, 09:06 PM
Those mysterious moderate totalitarians again

VestigialLlama4
12-11-2015, 09:07 PM
Don't see a problem. Make it like Unity by having it be Moderates vs Extreme/Fanatics. But at a larger scale, a Templar Civil War. It can be another Templar Reform but this one will return the order to the days before the Dark Age, meaning power at all cost, a green light on enslavement by POE and tyranny. Obviously the Moderates will lose or Abstergo wouldn't be what it is and as stated by Shaun in Unity, history about good Templars are harder to find since the Extremist/Fanatics erase it far better than with the Assassins who's more or less always fighting them. And you can simply throw the Assassins in there as the entire thing is a controlled mess and regardless of what side you are at you're doing exactly what the Extremists/Fanatics want since the entire thing is just a distraction allowing them to found Abstergo. As for the open world, make it like Freedom Cry but far more brutal with higher chance of failure. Like when liberating a consentration camp, the camp will be a complex black box side mission with mutible option to how to aprotch the situation. Like making using a tunnel to free them or steal keys and kill soliders wile guiding them. Plot twist? You'll most likly be detected on the way out forcing you to defend them and distract the soliders or they get attacked by a convoy after getting out. So as long as someone get out it's counted as a win, even if they die moments after in the open world.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2142/2077740740_0d5ba819c3.jpg

Hans684
12-11-2015, 09:10 PM
Those mysterious moderate totalitarians again

Not mysterious unless you ignore the canon, those stated to be it. I could name sereval but ingnorance is a bliss. So why not let people live in their little bubble, right? Not like saying anything will matter anyway....

I-Like-Pie45
12-11-2015, 09:18 PM
The Templars vote Hitler because they know he'll make Germany great again!

D.I.D.
12-11-2015, 09:26 PM
Not mysterious unless you ignore the canon, those stated to be it. I could name sereval but ingnorance is a bliss. So why not let people live in their little bubble, right? Not like saying anything will matter anyway....

You're declawing the series villains, and to me that weakens the series rather than strengthening it. It's their job to be a threat. The idea of moderates doesn't hold up for me because they all know they're working for a totalitarian organisation that was responsible for all kinds of evil through history and seeks absolute power through the most ruthless means. You can't scrub Hitler, Vietnam, and Abstergo's mind control tech as just 20th C. Templars gone bad, or the extended slave trade as an aberration in the past, without trashing the whole reason we have this axis in the first place. Those actions are the purest expression of what the Order's been trying to do through history and failed when it missed out on PoEs, but now it gets to makes its own equipment and munitions.

Hans684
12-11-2015, 09:40 PM
You're declawing the series villains, and to me that weakens the series rather than strengthening it.

Well AC started out semi-gray with AC1, then AC2/ACB made a comic story with mustache twirling villains, then Revelations went gray along with AC3 and Black Flag. Then you have Rogue embracing it by being the Templar version of AC2/ACB bringing it full circle. And Unity that's also gray, then you have the Disney story that's Syndicate that pretends to be gray.

It's their job to be a threat.

A treat can still have layers and depth without being a baby eater.

The idea of moderates doesn't hold up for me because they all know they're working for a totalitarian organisation that was responsible for all kinds of evil through history and seeks absolute power through the most ruthless means.

I don't belive there are good Muslims because we have ISIS blowing up everywhere. Same case, judging by the bad only.

You can't scrub Hitler, Vietnam, and Abstergo's mind control tech as just 20th C. Templars gone bad, or the extended slave trade as an aberration in the past, without trashing the whole reason we have this axis in the first place.

Not scrubbing anything aside, simply saying who's what.

Those actions are the purest expression of what the Order's been trying to do through history and failed when it missed out on PoEs, but now it gets to makes its own equipment and munitions.

According to everything in the canon things like Hitler isn't the purest, it's called corruption and extremism. Not hard concepts to understand. Both orders have them, unless you're saying people like Abbas are just as "pure."

Then again viewing other perspectives seems to be difficult for people here, even if the canon says otherwise.

cawatrooper9
12-11-2015, 09:48 PM
I think the Battle of Bunker Hill was a good depiction of 18th Century Battle. The main reason AC doesn't do war right is that the violence is really toned down so you still get a largely sanitized battlefield. And a realistic take on World War 2 would fail automatically.

Yeah, VL4, I know there are outliers and I like that one sequence, but I'm speaking for the series overall- usually, war and battle are poorly done in the series.

Well, that's kind of debatable. I mean the depressing thing about the Nazis and World War II in general is that they offer best proof of the Templar philosophy, that people are weak, that they follow leaders and look the other way and live with and adjust to the most awful stuff so long as it doesn't concern them. It's a fact that the Holocaust was an open secret among ordinary Germans because that program was too wide-scale and operated by more than 100,000 people across Germany, Poland and Czechoslavakia
One of the most heartbreaking things about TOKW is that Connor always gave his targets somewhat of an excuse in that they were under the influence of Washington's POE... but they always knew that wasn't entirely the case. I think that could kind of apply to this case as well- Hitler's chilling charisma (or his POE, if they decide to go that route) surely did some to win people over to his side and that despicable man is certainly to blame for the atrocities that he caused, but each individual person is also to be held accountable for their actions as well. I think that would be a very complex topic for an AC game to tackle, and while I don't think Ubisoft could do it, I'd love to be proven wrong.

Some aspects of Assassin gameplay would just not work at all. Like in earlier games, if an Assassin killed someone on the streets, ran and hide, you can kind of explain why the civilians don't fink you by thinking that the people are secretly on your side and supporting anyone who opposes the corrupt medieval society. But in Berlin of that time, you can be sure you would not be protected, you would be finked as would anyone who tried to help you. The loyalty and public support for the Nazis continued right unto Hitler died.

I'm too lazy to search it out, but someone (in fact, I think it was you) recently posted about how a more modern AC game could be the stealthiest of all. Well, with great power comes great responsibility. We could get far superior gadgets and skills in a WWII era AC, but we'd also have to contend with a city that is against us.

Before the pitchforks come out, know that I'm not referring to the death of social stealth- rather, I'd advocate for social stealth so deep that even the people you're blending with are fooled- they're not coddling us and helping us hid anymore, it's something we'd have to do on our own.

BananaBlighter
12-11-2015, 10:54 PM

Yes, I like this.

SunderedStar
12-12-2015, 05:08 AM
I feel like MGSV is a good template for the core combat of any modern, heavily gun involved AC game. Add in a parkour system, more robust melee system and more readily available smoke bombs and you got yourself a stew. Also, batman, arkham knight, etc.

I really don't understand why people say a relatively modern AC game wouldn't work. There have been a multitude of great, recent games that utilize some of the core concepts a modern AC would use.

Also, please tell me Galina has a gun. Assassins have been using guns since before guns existed. To have her not use one in the most gun heavy time period of them all is silly. Assassins have been about embracing current and near future tech, not ignoring it.

I feel like they could have more fun with the assassins if they delved into the near future instead of waiting for history to happen. I would like to see what a modern assasssin would look like in the middle of a massive global war (WW3 or whatever) instead of jeans and a hoodie, which, while sensible, is also boring.

Spacey_Beat5
05-18-2016, 07:07 AM
You guy's might not care to read, but if you want, or are interested, I have an Assassin's Creed WWII story. It's not completed yet, and it's on Wattpad. Here's the link to my profile,
https://www.wattpad.com/user/Markipliers_my_hero
Just click on stories, thank you for those of you who read it!:D