PDA

View Full Version : Uru: Should we keep Uru loaded for playing later online?

maryc64
12-09-2003, 08:57 PM
Uru takes up a lot of room on the computer. I have been wondering this for awhile. I completed the cd version. Do we keep the entire game loaded? It is a long wait to be invited.
Or can we just use the cd to enter the online game wheneve I do get invited. Wish I knew where I was on the "roster."
Can one find that out? Thanks!!

maryc64
12-09-2003, 08:57 PM
Uru takes up a lot of room on the computer. I have been wondering this for awhile. I completed the cd version. Do we keep the entire game loaded? It is a long wait to be invited.
Or can we just use the cd to enter the online game wheneve I do get invited. Wish I knew where I was on the "roster."
Can one find that out? Thanks!!

maztec
12-09-2003, 09:01 PM
You can keep the CD, unload URU, and just keep a backup of your "sav" folder around -- although I'm pretty sure it doesn't get deleted when you uninstall.

Then when youg et into live you can import your character.

maryc64
12-09-2003, 10:57 PM
Hey thanks Maztec! Hmm...Does the "sav" also keep record of game progress? Will I be accessing the same books when I go into Uru online? So will my progress matter, if so, is my progress located there also?
Might I ask an off topic question. Is there a roster so that one can know their standing in the line to get into the online version?
I worry I'll get notified and not know...so I keep trying to enter.
Last time I did this, it automatically updated, which it never did before! But something says I'm not authentic or something like that. The language of "refection" to the online game is so fuzzy, I don't know if I'm trying to get online correctly! Thanks! Mary

maztec
12-09-2003, 11:26 PM
the "sav" folder records your game progress. That's why it's your saved games http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

You can import that progress into live. Yes the prime books are available in live.

Live progress will be stored on a server at live.

No, there currently is no roster. When did you sign up? Just try to enter after each batch, once a week, or keep reading your email. If the email comes to you, you should get it http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

You're doing just fine http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Srikandi
12-10-2003, 12:18 AM
Just to clarify, Mary, they are letting people in in the order they registered. So far they're up to the morning of Nov. 14.

You can find out when you registered, and check you account status. Click the "Uru Live account" button on the Uru startup screen. Then log in. If you aren't admitted yet, it will say "Pending Invitation".

If you're going to uninstall Uru, copy the URL from the registration screen so you can check without starting the game.

maryc64
12-10-2003, 02:45 AM
Srikandi! You are really nice to help!
Hoooray! You gave me a clear answer! I registered on Nov. 18th!
Now, hopefully there are enough spoilers and maybe walkthroughs as I have never played an online game before. None interested me! Not until a true adventure game, such as Uru, arrived on the web with awesome graphics, etc.
(I do download Agon episodes as I like the game and want to support such ventures! It costs but I don't care. The more we pay...the more online adv. games will be created. There are real families needing income and support from such. Agon is really impressive even as a mere game!
UBI should support them somehow!)
I do worry as many of us might find we are new to this and also w/t dependant as I am! Ask MagTro at GB. I plead with them for walkthroughs!
Oh, happy dance! Are they letting in new groups weekly?
Thank you!!!!

maryc64
12-10-2003, 02:55 AM
Maztec, sorry to bother you. But technically how would I insert the "sav" folder or is the Uru online so sophisticated that it will seek out the UBI/Cyans Worlds/Uru "sav" file on my computer?
Just afraid to uninstall until I am sure.
When I uninstall, I make double sure and will send such files to my flash drive or an external box. Sometimes too much is deleted. Should one use the uninstall for Uru or the Add/Delete programs?
Floundering learner here.
Also, if we have a "sav" file, can we share game progress in a similar fashion as we are able to with regular sharing of "game save" files for more normally behaving games?
Apparently I know just enough to get in trouble! Haha.
I had to learn how to share game saves after the computer generated bridge puzzle in Schizm.
Those defeat game progress for some and discourage complete game play.
Thanks so much for your sharing!

maztec
12-10-2003, 09:35 AM
maryc64 -- You will have to reinstall URU at a later date to play URU again.

If you have kept a copy of your "sav" folder around, your game progress is saved for Uru Prime. When you finally get into Live or Prologue you then restore your "sav" folder into the URU directory (probaboy should still be there, unless you deleted it) and when you start up Uru it will ask you to import your character, which you can at that time. Or you can just start anew of you feel like it. Entirely up to you.

You should use Uru's uninstaller.

Once you are online there is no reason to retain the "sav" folder except for offline play -- and your online play can not take place offline. Also, all online play is stored online so you have no reason to worry about losing it by something you do to your own computer -- just remember your username and password.

Srikandi
12-10-2003, 02:02 PM
What's Agon? Sounds interesting.

You'll be able to get all the hints you need on the Spoilers forum here -- there are two, use the "Uru: Ages Beyond Myst" spoiler forum until you get into Live.

When you get into the game, there's a Guild of Greeters neighborhood where there are people that will be happy to help you get oriented, so they claim.

So far people have been invited into Live every week, sometimes twice a week, but sometimes not very many in a group. Progress depends on how many bugs they find and how long it takes to fix them. No invites yet this week, I'm hoping there'll be more soon.

maryc64
12-10-2003, 02:45 PM
Agon is a revolutionary concept for adv. gaming. It is downloadable. One buys episodes. Awesome CS! They answer personally. Beautiful and "land-mark product" suitable for the entire family. All sorts of adjustments possible for game play including player level...easy, difficult, etc.
This is better than many games out now! You have to try it! It is a "must try" for all adv. gamers seeking to broaden their experiences.
I buy the episodes as I want to support such efforts. If we don't pay, the evolution of adv. gaming will slow down...
http://www.agongame.com/
I nagged heads of game manufacturing companies, including DC re: Rhem, Zelenhgorm, and I'd go to sites and enter thei game names. so that the demand would grow. (Insert devilish smile here!)
I email the nicer pc adv. gaming sites and ask them to put links to such new developers, such as, GB and Mr. Bill's.
We need to also get Eldoren off the ground!
I have already emailed "White Bird"...no response! Geesh!
(See Indie Games at GB: http://www.gameboomers.com/independentsday.html)
UBI should look into all of these. Why miss out? Agon is "ground breaking!"
Bottom line: Revenue and evolution of adv. gaming is what it is all about anyways.
Look for my support at GB and Mr. Bill's re: Agon and other such games. I push and push and it helps a lot.
I was in contact with both developers of Rhem and Zelenhgorm before US versions were available. I emailed and supported them and pushed for them.
It's something to do! And it's good for the soul! It also supports the families of these awesome people!
Please visit Agon and Eldoren! Please! I need to look for more games to support also!
Thanks for letting me sort of vent and post this!
Hope they don't delete the links!!
(Snow scenes in Ep. 2 of Agon are so atmospheric and make one feel they are in the snow...Kind of like the Teledahn Age in Uru! Really!)