PDA

View Full Version : guns damage and relative speed

XyZspineZyX
08-18-2003, 01:46 AM
ok it's likely only game designers can answer this but i'm asking anyway, maybe some of you guys out there knows... is relative speed between attacking and target plane taken into account to determine damage? i think on a head-on attack damage dealt by your cannons and guns should be considerably higher than when attacking from behind, there's about an extra 300+300 kph impact speed for bullets to be taken into consideration, unless bullets fly at 10000 kph making that extra few kph's neglectable... anyone knows?
one more question: ever tried to fly into a para-trooper? today i downed a bomber and hit one of the poor fellas who bailed out, my plane was blown away lol http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif kinda weird isn't it?

XyZspineZyX
08-18-2003, 01:46 AM
ok it's likely only game designers can answer this but i'm asking anyway, maybe some of you guys out there knows... is relative speed between attacking and target plane taken into account to determine damage? i think on a head-on attack damage dealt by your cannons and guns should be considerably higher than when attacking from behind, there's about an extra 300+300 kph impact speed for bullets to be taken into consideration, unless bullets fly at 10000 kph making that extra few kph's neglectable... anyone knows?
one more question: ever tried to fly into a para-trooper? today i downed a bomber and hit one of the poor fellas who bailed out, my plane was blown away lol http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif kinda weird isn't it?

XyZspineZyX
08-18-2003, 01:49 AM
I am pretty sure differences in kinetic damage according to relative speeds are modelled. Head-on attacks are pretty difficult to get in, but once they do, you can notice even the machine guns do good amounts of damage to the system, and chances of pilot kill/damage is high.

-----------
Due to pressure from the moderators, the sig returns to..

"It's the machine, not the man." - Materialist, and proud of it!

XyZspineZyX
08-18-2003, 02:54 AM
garbazzz wrote:
one more question: ever tried to fly into a
- para-trooper? today i downed a bomber and hit one of
- the poor fellas who bailed out, my plane was blown
- away lol /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif kinda weird isn't it?
Ja, this dates since 1.0.
I heard all kind of stories about pilots cutting paratroopers sustantion cordes with the wings, but I never paid much attention, and I really don't know if would be possible in RL, and therefore any presumption is useles.
About the main topic, dunno, ususly in a head-on, there isn't much armor of the plane to stop the bullet,(except maybe armored windshields) so adding the AC speed to the bulled, already high, speed, I suppose that there will be a liitle more damage, but the quantity of it is way too small to make any difference. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

<center>"The show must go on..."<center>
<center>http://www.btinternet.com/~jj_b/vaw/images/iar81t.jpg </center>
<center>A 'good' landing is one from which you can walk away. A 'great'
landing is one after which they can use the plane again<center>

XyZspineZyX
08-18-2003, 05:15 AM
a bullets muzzle velocity largely depends on the ammunition used. The MG34 machine gun had a muzzle velocity near 3500 km/h.

Cannons, im not sure about... most probably quite a bit slower as their payload was larger & explosive.

-Hareball

--------------------------------------
We should have all the generalizing extremists taken out and shot.
--------------------------------------

XyZspineZyX
08-18-2003, 06:24 PM
IIRC it is modelled but the difference would arguably be marginal.

Maybe a headon at 700Kph with another ac at 700Kph might make a difference. But with such high 'initial' velocities I wouldn't think much. You could probably do a little more damage from further away etc.

However... It always "Feels" (read - subjective...) more powerful when I boom down on a an enemy with high velocity. Normally this is more because the enemy is moving slowly and you can get more rounds on target though. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

JG5_UnKle

"Know and use all the capabilities of your airplane. If you don't sooner or later, somebody who does, will kick your ***"

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/victoria.stevens/jg5_logo.jpg