PDA

View Full Version : feature requests for future MADDOX sims....

jinchoung
02-28-2004, 07:17 AM
howdy fellows,

i'm not really a flight simmer but got forgotten battles because it scored such high marks in pc gaming mags. anyhoo, it won me over like only the flagship example in a genre can do and now i eagerly look forward to future releases.

but a few requests for options that would help newbies out:

1. AUTO-TRIM: as a newby, i simply play without trimming out because it's simply too mundane and tedious for me to worry about. i would like a button that autotrims me. option to auto gear up and down everything would be nice too... took me forever to figure out how to raise the gear on one of the planes! thought my joypad was busted.

(yeah, i know the experience benefits from a true stick and throttle [or can imagine that would be the case] but i simply can't spare the realestate on my desk. it's work/play and i just can't plunk a big honkin stick here! though twist rudder sounds soooooo good....)

2. GRID OF DOTS IN THE AIR: because this is a game that takes place in the air, it is very very difficult to gauge HOW i'm moving! particularly when trying to rehearse or execute air combat maneuvers. in a real plane, you get visual cues because your NECK allows you a 360 view (well, at least whatever your cockpit affords) that includes the side views and perhaps sighting the ground. but in most cases, i CAN'T have one hand on my game pad and another on the mouse! and although i've assigned a 'lookaround' function to the DPAD, i simply can't access that much when i'm flying. sure, because of this game, i'd really love to get a HEADTRACKIR thing... that would probably make the experience amazing and very much like being in a real cockpit... but i think accommodations should be made for folks who aren't 'all pimped out' on the latest flight sim gear.

flying against enemy aircraft with my head 'pinned forward' is unbelievably difficult when they're doing hi yo yos and evidently some break dancing maneuvers and stuff to stay behind me! and it is really impossible to EXECUTE hi yoyos and such on enemies cuz i simply can't keep track of where they are relative to me and can't ever end up back behind them.

that's not something that my grid of dots will solve but it will at least show me if my hammerhead is going well or not. maybe i can even 'plot the course' against the dots for hiyoyos?

3. an amateur like setting that makes all the gauges show accurate numbers! sure, in a real aircraft, the speed may depend on how high you are and stuff but i just don't care about doing such calcs yet.

4. documentation on basic fighting tactics based on the aircraft... it took me a while of internet surfing to figure out why the p-51 lurches violently into a spin when i try to maneuver it! some of us non FSers aren't too hip that some planes are 'turn and burn' and others are 'zoom and boom'! some documentation or some links to helpful tactics sites would be a nice addition.

also, the same kind of info about basic aeronautic techniques would be cool too... like stalling a wing to do a snap roll, and basic principles like that.

i know i'm requesting those things that rank beginners would need but basically, it's a reflection of how i came into it.

jinchoung
02-28-2004, 07:17 AM
howdy fellows,

i'm not really a flight simmer but got forgotten battles because it scored such high marks in pc gaming mags. anyhoo, it won me over like only the flagship example in a genre can do and now i eagerly look forward to future releases.

but a few requests for options that would help newbies out:

1. AUTO-TRIM: as a newby, i simply play without trimming out because it's simply too mundane and tedious for me to worry about. i would like a button that autotrims me. option to auto gear up and down everything would be nice too... took me forever to figure out how to raise the gear on one of the planes! thought my joypad was busted.

(yeah, i know the experience benefits from a true stick and throttle [or can imagine that would be the case] but i simply can't spare the realestate on my desk. it's work/play and i just can't plunk a big honkin stick here! though twist rudder sounds soooooo good....)

2. GRID OF DOTS IN THE AIR: because this is a game that takes place in the air, it is very very difficult to gauge HOW i'm moving! particularly when trying to rehearse or execute air combat maneuvers. in a real plane, you get visual cues because your NECK allows you a 360 view (well, at least whatever your cockpit affords) that includes the side views and perhaps sighting the ground. but in most cases, i CAN'T have one hand on my game pad and another on the mouse! and although i've assigned a 'lookaround' function to the DPAD, i simply can't access that much when i'm flying. sure, because of this game, i'd really love to get a HEADTRACKIR thing... that would probably make the experience amazing and very much like being in a real cockpit... but i think accommodations should be made for folks who aren't 'all pimped out' on the latest flight sim gear.

flying against enemy aircraft with my head 'pinned forward' is unbelievably difficult when they're doing hi yo yos and evidently some break dancing maneuvers and stuff to stay behind me! and it is really impossible to EXECUTE hi yoyos and such on enemies cuz i simply can't keep track of where they are relative to me and can't ever end up back behind them.

that's not something that my grid of dots will solve but it will at least show me if my hammerhead is going well or not. maybe i can even 'plot the course' against the dots for hiyoyos?

3. an amateur like setting that makes all the gauges show accurate numbers! sure, in a real aircraft, the speed may depend on how high you are and stuff but i just don't care about doing such calcs yet.

4. documentation on basic fighting tactics based on the aircraft... it took me a while of internet surfing to figure out why the p-51 lurches violently into a spin when i try to maneuver it! some of us non FSers aren't too hip that some planes are 'turn and burn' and others are 'zoom and boom'! some documentation or some links to helpful tactics sites would be a nice addition.

also, the same kind of info about basic aeronautic techniques would be cool too... like stalling a wing to do a snap roll, and basic principles like that.

i know i'm requesting those things that rank beginners would need but basically, it's a reflection of how i came into it.

jinchoung
02-28-2004, 07:33 AM
oh,

(and this is a reflection that i'm a right lazy bastard)

but i'd like an 'AUTOACTION' button that is included along with the game speed controls - slow, fast, superfast, etc.... this is a setting that takes you autopilot at the FASTEST SPEED POSSIBLE (and this should be twice as fast as the current fastest speed) and drop you out of lightspeed and disengage autopilot (automatically of course) as soon as your flight encounters bogies.

sorry, as a lay-simmer, i simply don't have time for NAVIGATION but would like to play all the missions.

i know... lazy bastard....

jin

Recon_609IAP
02-28-2004, 07:46 AM
this sim isn't the type of game that you just hop into - it takes time to learn, which is one of the outstanding characteristics of it - it doesn't bore one near as fast http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

1. I will check, I thought there was a key to reset your trim to default. You can fly most aircraft in this game without touching trim.

2. Try using smoke. You can turn on smoke and fly external - save a track,etc... you can pause at any time offline. It's a good way to toggle external and internal with smoke on to see if you are doing the manuveurs right

3. The speedbar shows you altitude and speed.

4. I think mostly because people start simple and learn. I can't tell you how many hours I spent in QMB practicing - but it's what gives such a rich reward when you perform this online and score a kill.

I have a few sources I have found online:
My favorite:
http://www.vulch.cwc.net/manual.html

Some pictures:
http://members.tripod.com/~F15EEagle/manu.html

S!
609IAP_Recon

http://www.leeboats.com/609/sig/609_recon3.jpg
Agnus Dei, Qui Tollis peccata mundi, Miserere nobis. Dona nobis pacem
http://www.jarsofclay.com/

1.JaVA_Razer
02-28-2004, 07:56 AM
I wouldn't mind that last feature.
I would enjoy it to. I fly FR servers so I know how to fly a plane,I'm no noob(not annymore)
but in a campaing it's SOOOOOOO boring to fly for a few minuts(20 or so) then come to a groep of bogies to dfight 2 minuts,fly home again for 20 minuts,and BS around until you finally get a landing attempt. I hate it http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I wish we'd get to the action faster http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

jinchoung
02-28-2004, 08:35 AM
howdy guys,

recon, ya, i can see plainly that it's a deep sim. but the problem with deep ANYTHING is that for rank beginners, the learning curve is pretty steep.

it would be a shame if anyone missed out on the experience of this excellent sim because they just felt outclassed.

having options (and i say OPTIONS... there should indeed be total freedom to make it super realistic at all times and an option to lock multiplay to such) to cut the learning curve if at all possible imo - why not make it super duper accessible.

smoke is ok but i really like being in the cockpit. i dislike the exterior views because THAT feels to arcadey for me ( http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ).... also, i really dislike how the camera is LOCKED to your plan in exterior views! you get even less sense of motion because you can see the plane gimbaling on it's PIVOT POINT! it would be nice if the chase view were really like shot from the vantage and physics point of a towed camera or chase plane.

and also, the grid of balls would just be good visual reference for those who'd want it... this is a feature that used to be included in older civil aviation sims but haven't seen it around lately... not a bad idea to bring it back.

ah, and as for on-line... i never do it... this is just for me when i play by meself.

thanks for the links... will definitely check those out. and yah, this is all i'm askin' for. if you can't document the niceties of air combat tactics (and i'm sure it's a super huge topic), just putting such links IN the box would help a lot to start the noob out. believe it or not, as voluminous as this topic could be, it's pretty hard to find useful sites just by googling.

oh and razer, you bring up a good point,

there should be an option in AUTOACTION so that it dumps you back into the cockpit and realtime for landings too... i enjoy the challenge of landing attempts. i always end up roaring onto the tires at mach 2! and crashing is almost as fun as pulling it off!

jin

horseback
02-28-2004, 10:09 AM
Jin-

You really DO need to get a decent stick. What I did with my twist rudder sticks was put them on a tray in my lap, with my trackball mouse (Logitec makes a nice one that can be used left or right handed)beside it on the tray. This will leave your keyboard where it belongs, and easily accessible.

Also, as a practical matter, you should assign single keys or joystick buttons to important points of view, like Upper left & right front, and upper left & right rear views. If you go from one to the other, you will be able to scan a large portion of the sky where your opponent is likely to be.

cheers

horseback

"Here's your new Mustangs, boys. You can learn to fly'em on the way to the target. Cheers!" -LTCOL Don Blakeslee, 4th FG CO, February 27th, 1944

jinchoung
02-28-2004, 03:40 PM
ah! a TRAY eh? that's a really good idea.

hmmmmm, i even have armrests on my chair... if i were the do it yerselfer type (i am with computers but anything less technological and i'm completely lost... a hammer would be completely out of my depth), i could probably build something that straps onto them even... although that may kill my chances of ever getting laid again altogether! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

oh and as for RESETTING trims (few posts back), yah, i think that there is a button that will do that, but that is altogether different from auto-trimming.

actually, my experience with the il2 planes are markedly different from yours recon.... if trim controls are settings to be set such that when i let go of the stick when it's straight and level, it continues this way (and believe me, it took awhile for me to figure THAT out... days of 'what the hell is trim?' and 'why the f aren't i flying straight? didn't i get my tires balanced?'), almost ALL of the planes require trimming out before you can set a course and then hands off stick it.

anyhoo, thanks again for the tips fellas.

jin