PDA

View Full Version : Syndicate unequipping skills

VernalBreak
12-10-2015, 01:57 AM
Should you be able to unequip skills that you have unlocked? I want to be able to because I feel like you are way overpowered with max skills and combos. I want the ability to go into the skills menu and simply unequip skills like first strike and slayer.

AeraLure
12-10-2015, 09:32 PM
I would like this also. About 3/4 of the way through the game and it's just way too easy. The game really should have set the difficulty level higher, had difficulty or NG+ settings. Seems a shame to unequip skills, but that would help also.

Pandassin
12-10-2015, 09:44 PM
Yes.

I unlocked all skills just for the sake of synchronisation, but I really don't like Evie's chameleon ability at all, it completely ruins immersion and I'd love to be rid of it.

Being able to disable skills would be great.

BananaBlighter
12-10-2015, 10:17 PM
How about having skills tied to gear, especially stats, more like they were in Unity. That way we can pick and choose more. What I like about Unity, that due to the lack of a levelling system, I can whenever I want to, equip low level gear and have the same limitations as I had early on in the game. Only deep, mechanically different skills deserve a skill tree, maybe adding some context like certain missions to unlock them. For example, the chameleon ability would've been tied to a late game PoE, that can be unequipped at any time. Overall I much preferred Unity's customization. That and Coop are the only reasons I'd ever play Unity over Syndicate.

SixKeys
12-10-2015, 11:11 PM
I've gotten all the skills so far except I'm deliberately not touching two of them: the skill that makes Evie invisible (because it is dumb as hell) and the skill that allows you to see which direction enemies are facing on the map. I wouldn't have unlocked even half of all skills if they didn't lock gear behind levels, and the only way to level up (AFAIK) is through purchasing skills.

So yes, we absolutely should be able to unequip skills.

BananaBlighter
12-10-2015, 11:40 PM
I've gotten all the skills so far except I'm deliberately not touching two of them: the skill that makes Evie invisible (because it is dumb as hell) and the skill that allows you to see which direction enemies are facing on the map. I wouldn't have unlocked even half of all skills if they didn't lock gear behind levels, and the only way to level up (AFAIK) is through purchasing skills.

So yes, we absolutely should be able to unequip skills.

Oh my god the fact that gear is unlocked behind skills is the most stupid thing Ubi have done in this game. I can't believe it.

VernalBreak
12-11-2015, 12:08 AM
Thing is the game was decent but it makes the game 10x worse with the skill trees and leveling. Ubi should just trash the leveling system and the skill trees and the game would be way better. At least as a first step tho they need to make skill unequippable.

SixKeys
12-11-2015, 05:29 AM
Thing is the game was decent but it makes the game 10x worse with the skill trees and leveling. Ubi should just trash the leveling system and the skill trees and the game would be way better. At least as a first step tho they need to make skill unequippable.

I wouldn't mind skills if there weren't so many that make the game way too easy. I haven't gotten all the gang upgrades either because of ridiculous stuff like making all Blighters have less health by default, making them misfire more often etc. There are like 4 or 5 stealth tiers. Why so many? If you get them all, there's no challenge left at all. Just one extra stealth tier would have been enough. Skills should add to the enjoyment, like unlocking new combos or finishers (see the Arkham games).

VernalBreak
12-11-2015, 05:49 AM
I wouldn't mind skills if there weren't so many that make the game way too easy. I haven't gotten all the gang upgrades either because of ridiculous stuff like making all Blighters have less health by default, making them misfire more often etc. There are like 4 or 5 stealth tiers. Why so many? If you get them all, there's no challenge left at all. Just one extra stealth tier would have been enough. Skills should add to the enjoyment, like unlocking new combos or finishers (see the Arkham games).

This is very true; I think skills should be way weaker. I unlocked everything becuase I needed to get to level ten but now that I have everything the game has lost all enjoyment. I mean seriously right now in combat 1) I can kill any enemy in 3-4 hits. 2) after killing my enemy I immediately one-hit the next one 3) my combo is now higher than ten so I one hit another. This goes on and on one-hitting two enemies every one I kill. in stealth 1) I turn invisible for crying out loud. 2) I pretty much murder everyone in the entire area with ease because in addition to invisibility I am completely silent. Tell me this is not OP. I can understand people liking this but I at least want the ability to not be OP

ImaginaryRuins
12-11-2015, 01:48 PM
I in fact like the skill tree setting and I truly enjoy overpowering enemies because that show how much Jacob and Evie have improved.

I however admit it would be great if we could remove Evie's Chamelon skill. It is simply too supernatural.

VernalBreak
12-11-2015, 10:25 PM
Who would vote for not unequipping? I simply don't understand. It is not saying that skills should randomly be unequipped nor is this poll saying skills should be weaker. All this poll is asking for is the ability to be not overpowered so free roam is engaging.

cawatrooper9
12-11-2015, 10:28 PM
Out of curiosity, is it common for games to allow you to unequip "skills"?

I get that everyone has their own idea of what a game should be like, but customization can only adhere to so much. I guess I've just never heard of this before.

VernalBreak
12-11-2015, 10:31 PM
In most free roam games you are not overpowered by the end, and in almost all games if you want to be weaker to enjoy the game more you can. So to answer your question, yes it is rather common.

cawatrooper9
12-11-2015, 11:07 PM
In most free roam games you are not overpowered by the end, and in almost all games if you want to be weaker to enjoy the game more you can. So to answer your question, yes it is rather common.

Here's where I meant to answer you. ;)

Anyway, could you give me some examples of games where you can unequip skills?

VernalBreak
12-11-2015, 11:10 PM
Every mmorpg ever. nuff said

cawatrooper9
12-11-2015, 11:15 PM
Every mmorpg ever. nuff said

Okay, I guess I cannot really speak on that, since I haven't played that many MMORPGs (just a little of the LOTR one).

But you realize that AC isn't really an MMORPG. It's hardly an RPG, in fact. It would probably be much more effective to compare it to something like, let's say Skyrim.

Note that I'm not disagreeing with you- it would be a cool feature to be able to remove skills- but I don't necessarily see this as a staple of the genre, and in my opinion I don't see it as a necessary innovation either.

VernalBreak
12-11-2015, 11:21 PM
I absolutely see it as necessary because free roam is not at all fun when I can kill 30+ level 10s without losing health using the initiates cane sword. Also, comparing it to MMORPGs makes sense as not many free roam games use skills and when they do it never makes you invincible.

SixKeys
12-12-2015, 04:03 AM
Here's where I meant to answer you. ;)

Anyway, could you give me some examples of games where you can unequip skills?

Some RPGs (Fallout, Dragon Age) allow you to change your skill set via special items if you decide you'd rather redistribute your skill points. For example you might have chosen high strength at the beginning, but later decide you'd rather have more stealth points, so you purchase an item that allows you to move points from one category to the other. This ensures that there's always a balance in the game. You can choose to put all your skill points into strength, but that means there's nothing left for stealth, charisma, tech knowledge etc. This is what AC needs to do if they want to keep the skill system. Don't make it possible for players to purchase every skill in every category, make them choose. Unity did this right with its customization.

ImaginaryRuins
12-12-2015, 04:10 AM
Some RPGs (Fallout, Dragon Age) allow you to change your skill set via special items if you decide you'd rather redistribute your skill points. For example you might have chosen high strength at the beginning, but later decide you'd rather have more stealth points, so you purchase an item that allows you to move points from one category to the other. This ensures that there's always a balance in the game. You can choose to put all your skill points into strength, but that means there's nothing left for stealth, charisma, tech knowledge etc. This is what AC needs to do if they want to keep the skill system. Don't make it possible for players to purchase every skill in every category, make them choose. Unity did this right with its customization.

Darksiders II and Dark Souls II also have skill respec function. The same however doesn't go for Deus Ex Human Revolution

However, skill respec-ing is present because those games are designed in a way that you cannot get all skills, or will take very long time to get them all. So to reduce players' frustration in training a new character, developers allow them to respec skills to experience other forms of gameplay quickly. This is not the case in AC Syndicate.

SixKeys
12-12-2015, 06:29 PM
Darksiders II and Dark Souls II also have skill respec function. The same however doesn't go for Deus Ex Human Revolution

However, skill respec-ing is present because those games are designed in a way that you cannot get all skills, or will take very long time to get them all. So to reduce players' frustration in training a new character, developers allow them to respec skills to experience other forms of gameplay quickly. This is not the case in AC Syndicate.

Yup. Ubi is too afraid to make some stuff unattainable in one playthrough. Every AC game has some achievement about "unlock all (X)", like get all armor upgrades, fully upgrade your hideout, get all the skills etc. It's probably because AC is designed to be easy and satisfying for casual players. You may be OP as hell after fully upgrading everything, but it makes you feel like a badass, even if there's no actual challenge. It probably ties into the whole praise-and-reward feeling that players need to feel at every turn (or that Ubi thinks they do). They're afraid that if they make some stuff literally impossible to unlock before completing the game that players won't feel satisfied and will move on. Most games have a New Game+ mode to help with that. You may not be able to experience every single skill in your first playthrough, but you can do things differently in NG+.