PDA

View Full Version : Increased difficulty

wotan111
02-27-2004, 06:16 PM
Well after playing IL2 on easy and necver daring to up the difficulty I then bought IL2 FB.

What a fool Ive been. After reading bits and pieces here I decided to up the difficulty of the game.

I have not gone for full on impressive but I have only left the stall spin option, engine management,the icon/map options on easy Ive upt the rest.

What a feeling of accomplishment and what a totally different game it becomes the whole plane feels like a real machine why oh why did I never try this before. I am really looking forward to master the planes now.

Oh yeah on my first mission I got a kill which Im very proud ofhttp://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Then I got another on my second just before I hit the ground! The whole thing feels right.

I urge anyone who thinks oh its to much hardwork to learn Ill just fly about and shoot down 16 planes in one mission......stop. Its no fun after awhile and once you up the difficulty the game comes into its own.

Ill get Secret Weapons over Normandy for a quick blast. And fly this sim the way its ment to be flown.

Thankyou Oleg.

Looking forward to BOB.

Oh yeah has anyone bought Battle over Europe if say is it worth the 24?

Wotan111

wotan111
02-27-2004, 06:16 PM
Well after playing IL2 on easy and necver daring to up the difficulty I then bought IL2 FB.

What a fool Ive been. After reading bits and pieces here I decided to up the difficulty of the game.

I have not gone for full on impressive but I have only left the stall spin option, engine management,the icon/map options on easy Ive upt the rest.

What a feeling of accomplishment and what a totally different game it becomes the whole plane feels like a real machine why oh why did I never try this before. I am really looking forward to master the planes now.

Oh yeah on my first mission I got a kill which Im very proud ofhttp://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Then I got another on my second just before I hit the ground! The whole thing feels right.

I urge anyone who thinks oh its to much hardwork to learn Ill just fly about and shoot down 16 planes in one mission......stop. Its no fun after awhile and once you up the difficulty the game comes into its own.

Ill get Secret Weapons over Normandy for a quick blast. And fly this sim the way its ment to be flown.

Thankyou Oleg.

Looking forward to BOB.

Oh yeah has anyone bought Battle over Europe if say is it worth the 24?

Wotan111

wotan111
02-27-2004, 06:19 PM
One last thing. I still use autopilot for take off and keeping in formation which I hope to master slowley. Also the use of rudders and finding the right keys on the keyboard is a little difficult. I have alot to learn.

Shame you cant get a keyboard layout thingy to go over the keys. I think TAW has one.

Wotan111

LEXX_Luthor
02-27-2004, 06:32 PM
hehe me too. I started out just flying each plane one time with Full Fake settings, then hopped into FMB for a few months exploring how the AI worked (undocumented features and stuff) so I could build Awsum missions, so I rarely ever flew myself (having a Trident motherboard video at the time, you could say I was stuck in FMB mostly). Only when I finished experimenting with FMB, late last year did I begin to turn on CEM and the other options stuff and its fun (but I never even tried that Cockpit Off view--made a point of that before I bought the FB http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif ). But I often fly just for fun the He~111 from the bombadier position, without speedbar cos you have airspeed and altitude indicator, and that is fun enough until we get Fw~189 over the FB.

you will still have FB , you will lose nothing ~WUAF_Badsight
I had actually pre ordered CFS3 and I couldnt wait... ~Bearcat99
Gladiator and Falco, elegant weapons of a more civilized age ~ElAurens

Mitlov47
02-27-2004, 06:34 PM
I had the same experience about two weeks ago. I had owned IL-2 for over a year, but had only played it on easy, and had never gotten into it. Nowadays, everything is on realistic except unlimited ammo, labels, and map markers on. The game is SO MUCH MORE FUN! And once you adjust to the extra complications, it's not actually any harder, just more engaging.

Two things:

1) If your throttle has a twist function (where the entire stick twists left or right on its vertical axis), map your rudder to that. That way you've got all basic flight controls on your stick, and you don't have to worry about key controls for rudder.

2) Turn on spins and stalls. Take an I-16 up to 2000m in a quick mission with NO opponents. Slowly start practicing maneuvers. Climb, dive. Bank left, bank right. If your screen starts to vibrate and you hear a loud gusting, ease off the stick a bit. That's a stall starting. If you fall into a spin, DON'T PANIC. Drop throttle to zero and apply rudder in the opposite direction of the spin. It'll stop. Then gently ease throttle back on, and gently bring the nose back upto the horizon. Once you're comfortable in this environment, fight some enemies set on novice (basically use them as clay pigeons to practice your maneuvers against), once again using the I-16. In two days of this, you will have complete control over spins and stalls, and you'll feel much cooler http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I think that the I-16 is the best vehicle to learn this on, because it is very quick to stall and spin, but the spins are predictable and recoverable.

If you can dogfight in an I-16 without stalling, you can pretty much handle any plane without stalling (as long as you drop combat flaps, which the I-16 doesn't have and doesn't need).

---------------------------
I-16: the killer corgi.

[This message was edited by EMitton on Fri February 27 2004 at 05:44 PM.]

Slammin-
02-27-2004, 06:39 PM
Man, it's almost like crack cocain. Soon these dudes will be complaining about WWView.

See what you have done Oleg!?!!

Huxley_S
02-27-2004, 06:56 PM
I've been gradually working up to playing on Normal settings.

Normal settings in offline mode means no Icons so you have to find and identify the enemy by sight. It also means limited ammo and fuel, stalls and spins.

This is not easy and will reduce the number of kills per mission down to maybe one or two and also means that you are likely to die a lot reducing your progress through a campaign down to a crawl.

However, it is damn rewarding playing like this!

As for the BoE, I just bought it today and I'm really enjoying it. However, I would recommend downloading Extreme_one's Battle over Britain campaign first and playing through that. Play it on Normal settings if you dare! By the time you finish it you will have improved a lot.

If after that you are hungry for more campaigns then the BoE is probably worth the investment. It'll keep me busy until Extreme_one comes up with a Spitfire campaign http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

wotan111
02-27-2004, 07:09 PM
Unfortunately my stick hasnt got a twist action. Ive just bought a new one to. I knew I should have gone for the one up.

I will practice manouvers.

The game just becomes a whole new thing altogether. So damn rewarding.

I did have spins/stalls on flying a Bf 109 f4. I kept spinning a lot and just let the stick go back to centre and ease off the throttle which did the trick.

I will soon be quite happy to turn off the map icons too.

Playing the game with on a higher difficulty is far more fun than on easy.

Wotan111

Slammin-
02-27-2004, 07:11 PM
Just remember - baby steps.

The great folks bringing us all this fun do not want to lose you and you can really get discouraged if you try to do too much too fast. I really like the hearing from you new guys in how you are progressing, mostly because it brings back really good memories of when I was 'there'.

Not that hard to remember though because I have been back 'there' twice in the last couple of months with Lomac and Falcon SP4, so just know that when you think you are 'there', you really are not, yet!

Enjoy, and welcome!

wotan111
02-27-2004, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the advice Emitton and Slammin-

I will take things nice and slow.

Oneday who knows I might venture into the skies of cyberspace.

Wotan111

karost
02-27-2004, 08:46 PM
Hi, wotan111

LOL... , wotan111 that is very old story ,after FB release, there have 1000 or more IL2 friends have same pain in the AS@ http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif samelike you http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I just point one reason that would be idea from ubi marketing men tell oleg to down grade the difficult level for marketing reason.

that is very old story my friend LOL

S!

Slammin-
02-27-2004, 09:37 PM
I think the reason for adding the varied difficulty levels has nothing to do with marketing, and more to do with common sense.

If IL-2 was released with no user options and perm set to max difficulty, we all would not be here now.

Nothing was downgraded.

I sure wish you high horse @ssholes would get with the program and let folks enjoy and grow with teh sim.

sokil
02-27-2004, 10:19 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Slammin-:
Man, it's almost like crack cocain.

HEHEHE
that is so true ...

Jumoschwanz
02-28-2004, 01:23 AM
Eat more bran cereals. This helped my difficulty.