PDA

View Full Version : Some Question to those using realistic settings from a newbie

AsSlowAsItGets
01-29-2004, 02:04 PM
Hi,
Im fairly new to this game and it easily is the best combat sim I have ever used, I like using realistic settings as one gets more out of it when they dont die, however im having trouble in a few areas and if anyone could answer some of the following questions or let me know where I will find the answers to them that would be cool.

1. when taking off how are you certain when its your turn to take off as one I believe cant see when the plane in front has taken off, all external views of course are turned off. Is it the second time the leader anounces the vector and height orders? if so then it comes rather late. Several times I have started off only to smash into the plane still in front of me I could not see.

2. some russian models seem to have the compass view blocked by some device just below the gunsight, it looks like a leaver or something, I cant work out what it is or how to get access to the compass, anyone know what im missing? not being able to view your compass on realistic mode is rather fatal.

If in a flight you loose sight of your fellow pilots, is there any obvious way of finding them again? a few times once a mission has been completed I have failed to find the rest of the guys due to dogfighting ect...and have had to make my own way back, this is not fatal of course but im guessing its a bit unrealistic? maybe in the real world if you lost sight and cant find them with the eye then tough?

One other matter that is puzzling me which maybe I have missed out on in the manual is why the leader is anoucing heights and vectors and then does not seem to follow them, for example he might say vector 300 height 3 meaning 3000 I assume and then he sticks at 1500 or something. one can always switch on the autopilot of course but then whats the point in playing if one is going to do that.

Thanks for reading all this and if anyone knows answers to my probs it would be very kind if you could let me know, also if there is a FAQ site or something with questions asked such as these it would be great to know where to find it.

Cheers

Tom

AsSlowAsItGets
01-29-2004, 02:04 PM
Hi,
Im fairly new to this game and it easily is the best combat sim I have ever used, I like using realistic settings as one gets more out of it when they dont die, however im having trouble in a few areas and if anyone could answer some of the following questions or let me know where I will find the answers to them that would be cool.

1. when taking off how are you certain when its your turn to take off as one I believe cant see when the plane in front has taken off, all external views of course are turned off. Is it the second time the leader anounces the vector and height orders? if so then it comes rather late. Several times I have started off only to smash into the plane still in front of me I could not see.

2. some russian models seem to have the compass view blocked by some device just below the gunsight, it looks like a leaver or something, I cant work out what it is or how to get access to the compass, anyone know what im missing? not being able to view your compass on realistic mode is rather fatal.

If in a flight you loose sight of your fellow pilots, is there any obvious way of finding them again? a few times once a mission has been completed I have failed to find the rest of the guys due to dogfighting ect...and have had to make my own way back, this is not fatal of course but im guessing its a bit unrealistic? maybe in the real world if you lost sight and cant find them with the eye then tough?

One other matter that is puzzling me which maybe I have missed out on in the manual is why the leader is anoucing heights and vectors and then does not seem to follow them, for example he might say vector 300 height 3 meaning 3000 I assume and then he sticks at 1500 or something. one can always switch on the autopilot of course but then whats the point in playing if one is going to do that.

Thanks for reading all this and if anyone knows answers to my probs it would be very kind if you could let me know, also if there is a FAQ site or something with questions asked such as these it would be great to know where to find it.

Cheers

Tom

Skullin
01-29-2004, 02:20 PM
well, 1st off, i'm still kind of a newb myself, but i'll try...

1. if you give a little thrust, with brake on, you can turn a little to watch in front of you.

2. i don't know, i fly american baby !

3? (you stopped numbering...lol), not sure, offline campaigns i've turned on the map icons because of this, but to get back to base you can always vector to home base. (default is tab\8\2 i think )

4? hehe..., when you hear the "leader", it's not neccesarily your flight leader. Your particular flight usually has 4 planes(max), but your squadron could have ? 16 ? not sure.

anyways good luck, the learning curve isn't too bad if you've played other simms. I played Aces High for a couple years.

heywooood
01-29-2004, 02:25 PM
As far as takeoff proceedure goes - just angle your plane on the ground (to the right usually)
by aplying right rudder, holding down the brake key at about 10-12 percent power - until you can see the wingtip of the plane in front

XyZspineZyX
01-29-2004, 02:34 PM
1. As other say, use S-turns during taxiing to see around the nose of your plane. A little burst of throttle, kick rudder while you tap the brakes. Don't forget to straighten out and set the tailwheel before you enter your takeoff roll, though! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

2. Use speedbar for your compass (the red Speed, Alt, Heading display that appears in the bottom left corner). Many "real" settings leave this on specifically for this purpose. It's a good simulation of a "instantly scannable cockpit".

3. If you lose sight, you encounter problems. Many planes RTBd in singles and dribs and drabs due to intense, confusing combat during a mission. Be glad you get a map! But don't worry about it, it's fairly realistic.

BaldieJr
01-29-2004, 02:50 PM
Don't forget, you can hear other flights over the radio, so you'll hear instructions called out that are not intended for your flight. Its confusing, but if you study your briefing like a real pilot would have, you'll know when a change of direction is about to happen.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
______ _____
(, / ) /) /) , (, /
/---( _ // _(/ _ / __ ,""""]
+----/ ____)(_(_(/_(_(__(__(/____/__/ (__--------,' /---+
| / ( / ,' NR / |
|(_/ ..-""``"'-._ (_/ __,' 42 _/ |
+-.-"" "-..,____________/7,.--"" __]-----+

</pre>

StihlCanuk
01-30-2004, 12:51 AM
First of all,welcome.It seems youv'e had your questions pretty much answered already.I think you'll find this forum a valuable resource.As a "noob" myself,I find the people here are very helpful.Have fun and I'll see you around. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Rodger,go with throttle up...

AirBot
01-30-2004, 05:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Use differential braking to turn your airplane a bit on the runway so you see the planes ahead of you in the side of your windshield. This, unfortunately, is a well-known problem with tail draggers in real life.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Some aircraft in FB have the compass obstructed by parts of the cockpit. There really is no good way around this, so you'll probably have to enable the speedbar.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
No real way of finding them again, except possibly head for a part of their course you think they will be heading to next, and wait for them there.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Besides the vectors of your own flight, you also hear these of every other flight in the air at that time, so the vectors you are hearing may originate from a different flight altogether.

Hope I helped http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

AsSlowAsItGets
01-30-2004, 06:25 AM
Thanks a lot guys, looks like Ill have to enable the speed bar, never thought of turning my plane slightly on the runway-duh but it sure works. Guess now all I have to do is try and live through a campaign.

AirBot
01-30-2004, 09:15 AM
Oh yeah, and welcome! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

And good luck surviving a whole campaign. I never could...

CO_Eagle_31stFG
01-30-2004, 09:28 AM

Answer
Fly more online with real people, you can use voice comms to know whos where and when they are taking off.

Answer
Not unrealistic at all. Again flying with real people will fix this area for you, voice comms is your best friend. Your mates can communicate their position, and describe the area arround them, they can also turn on smoke streams, as your going into battle look for certain landmarks for rally points, and also so if incase you get seperated from your group you can also head your way home.
Reality for pilots during that time was very dependant on visual aids as many planes did not have radar like aircraft of today do. If you lost your squad you would be forced to communicate to locate them or return home.

crazyivan1970
01-30-2004, 10:17 AM
Best of Luck!

V!
Regards,

VFC*Crazyivan aka VFC*HOST

http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/ivan-reaper.gif

Kozhedub: In combat potential, the Yak-3, La-7 and La-9 fighters were indisputably superior to the Bf-109s and Fw-190s. But, as they say, no matter how good the violin may be, much depends on the violinist. I always felt respect for an enemy pilot whose plane I failed to down.