PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else can't play demo?

XyZspineZyX
10-04-2003, 02:28 AM
The Ubi movie logo plays, then the menu showing me the controls shows. As soon as I click to start it just crashes to desktop.

I've tried many different settings. Different resolutions, different sound options, Anti-Aliasing No, 2x,4x,6x.

I have no problem with any other game I currently own.

Processor: Intelā® Pentiumā® 4 Processor 2.8GHz 533MHz FSB w/ 512KB (Intelā® 850 Chipset, Intelā® 850E Chipset)
Cache

Memory: 512MB RDRAM PC-800

Hard Drive: 80GB Western Digital UltraATA 7200RPM 8MB Cache

Video Card: ATIā® RadeonT 9700 Pro 128MB AGP Dual Monitor

Sound Card: Sound Blasterā® Audigy 1394 - 5.1

DirectX 9.0b
Latest ATI Drivers (Catalyst 3.7)
Latest Sound Blaster Audigy Drivers

XyZspineZyX
10-04-2003, 02:28 AM
The Ubi movie logo plays, then the menu showing me the controls shows. As soon as I click to start it just crashes to desktop.

I've tried many different settings. Different resolutions, different sound options, Anti-Aliasing No, 2x,4x,6x.

I have no problem with any other game I currently own.

Processor: Intelā® Pentiumā® 4 Processor 2.8GHz 533MHz FSB w/ 512KB (Intelā® 850 Chipset, Intelā® 850E Chipset)
Cache

Memory: 512MB RDRAM PC-800

Hard Drive: 80GB Western Digital UltraATA 7200RPM 8MB Cache

Video Card: ATIā® RadeonT 9700 Pro 128MB AGP Dual Monitor

Sound Card: Sound Blasterā® Audigy 1394 - 5.1

DirectX 9.0b
Latest ATI Drivers (Catalyst 3.7)
Latest Sound Blaster Audigy Drivers

XyZspineZyX
10-04-2003, 04:13 AM
I had exactly the same problem and solved it by going to the sound settings tab in the configuration program and choosing the "SbLive wave device" (or Audigy in your case) instead of the primary driver that was selected by default.After that the game finally got past the "How to play"screen.

Got the idea after your post which described the same symptoms I had but with a very different hardware configuration (AMD and Nvidia over here) except for the Soundblaster. Originally intended to just disable the sound, but I guess this is even better http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Hope this helps.

XyZspineZyX
10-04-2003, 05:07 AM
Same problem here as well, I get the configuration screen and but after setting it 3 blinks later I am back to desktop. I has set mine to my sound device as well. I guess I will go fiddle with that next

XyZspineZyX
10-04-2003, 05:08 AM
Well something did change, now it doesn't even load up at all, heh.

Not even the logo or anything. Double click icon, screen flashes black and goes back to desktop.

Thanks for your efforts though, and it does look like it has to do with the sound-card.

XyZspineZyX
10-04-2003, 05:18 AM
Bleh! Well after messing around with the various settings offered by the game configuration screen - zip, zero, nada.

Dang and here I was hoping for a suitable Lara Croft replacement. Narf!

I guess Ubisoft will have to patch or re-release the demo. At least its not as bad as Pool of Radiance went *cough* when it wiped hard drives clean at uninstall.

XyZspineZyX
10-04-2003, 10:08 AM
not working for me either, i tried changing and tweaking all the settings and nothing is working....

damn shame.

XyZspineZyX
10-04-2003, 03:36 PM
> Well something did change, now it doesn't even load up at all, heh.

That's too bad. This and that bugged XIII demo really makes you wonder about Ubisoft's QA. You probably should just stop trying to solve it because the ten-minute gameplay experience really doesn't justify spending hours of your free time on getting it to work.

As a last straw I might as well give a list of all the options I have selected in the config program which, up till now, actually enabled me to play.

-Resolution 1280x1024

-Refresh rate 75 Hz (which is the same as the rates I have selected in the many different override programs that are now probably working against each other and wondering which one is supposed to the boss.)

- Z buffer depth 24 bit (dont ask me why)

- I strongly support the use of mip mapping because it sounds like a fun thing to do.

-Antialiasing is off and unselectable, which is probably due to me selecting exactly that in the display settings.

- In sound options I selected my SBLive and enabled the sound effects.

And finally I didnt change anything about my computer setup. The problem is with the demo (obviously).

> At least its not as bad as Pool of Radiance went *cough* when it wiped hard drives clean at uninstall.

Wonderful, wonderful game. I still have it installed (for obvious reasons :-)

Message Edited on 10/04/0303:36PM by Henprin

XyZspineZyX
10-04-2003, 04:40 PM
I'm also unable to play the demo. When I run the game I hear the sound from the intro but I just get a black screen. If I pass the intro I see the interface on the top and bottom of the screen (including the info giving the controls for the level), but instead of seeing the level I only see some grey lines.

I have the latest drivers, and:

PIII 866
512 RAM
GF IV MX440
SB Live!
Win ME

I deserve this. I was just talking to a friend saying how great Ubisoft's line-up is (I already pre-order BG&E + XIII and Far Cry, plus I was to buy the new Broken Sword game as soon as I'm not broke /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif ), and how great the XIII demo runs on my computer (I usually have s terrible performance with games that use the Unreal Warfare engine), and then I run this demo... /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
10-04-2003, 05:13 PM
The grey lines are there at the start of the level and they open up to show you the level itself. It's also the spot where the first sound effect (some water splashing) starts.

Maybe completely turning of the sound FX in the configuation program will help.

XyZspineZyX
10-04-2003, 10:01 PM
I already tried that, but it still doesn't work. The screen keeps those grey lines, but the game keeps "playing" in the background, as does the sound. I just can't see a thing, just those beautiful grey lines... /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Message Edited on 10/04/0309:09PM by JC_Bastos

XyZspineZyX
10-05-2003, 03:55 PM
Hi,

I had the same problem as JC_Bastos I`m running a nvidia card, with forced antialiasing of 2X and Antriscopic filtering of 4x, I turned both of those off from the "Nvida media centre" icon and everything started working.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Paul

XyZspineZyX
10-05-2003, 04:29 PM
Thanks, it solved my problem!

XyZspineZyX
10-09-2003, 04:43 PM
I found that rather than using the shortcut, or the play button from the settings menu, execute the program file directly from the install folder. Works everytime for me.

And in reference to the graphical glitches in the XIII demo, you haven't stated what video card you've got. IF it's a Radeon the latest Catalyst Drivers (3.8's) rectify the problems.