PDA

View Full Version : Confessions of a TrackIR sceptic (boring read)

XyZspineZyX
12-13-2003, 09:17 PM
I got IL2 just as FB went gold. Wasn't that much into simming at the time, didn't have a proper comp, work etc, didn't mind something better was coming along.

Got FB in March or so. Tired of IL2 at that point, waiting for Lomac, and finding everyone on this forum talking about FB.

It was better allright. Loved the diverse campaigns (in "story"), the prop-wash and all the other details.
Didn't care too much about MP. Wanted to play my game in my time, pause and take a leak when I felt like it. Still do.

But it didn't really blow me away though. It was IL-2, and a little bit better. Good sim, must-have, but not heroin if you know what I mean.

Didn't really understand why some people couldn't stand not flying with the cockpit on. It's pretty and all, but I felt it more an obstacle than a feature.

And heard about this TrackIR thing all along. Tried Cam2Pan. Not good, but I got the point. TrackIR is like this except for all the problems. Cool gadget, but a little too pricey. Didn't make it a priority although I read much praise.

But when I got Lock On, I decided, OK, let's get this thing. $30 off, not bad.

So it arrived yesterday, d/l drivers, plug it in, check out the setup, fire up FB. Two hours of playing/tweaking and a neck getting sore, I was delighted but not blown away.
But one more hour of tweaking, neck getting better and some campaign missions (after getting them to work in 1.21) it was starting to work it's magic.

Tried it in FS2004. It works, ok.

Tried it in Lock On. Center-issue. Byebye, see you when the patch is out.

Back to FB. Man, I will never fly without the cockpit again. TrackIR has made me love FB like a limb. (And it is one, sorta...TrackIR that is) I don't use autopilot anymore, cause I have so much fun flying on the gauges. (Can't go without labels or map-path though)

Dogfighting is such a blast, and I've gotten so much better at it. TrackIR beats padlock, F6, wonder woman, whatever. Rolling scissors...high barrel rolls to prevent overshoot...sliky smooth...

Still find it harder to aim though. Particularly pulling a big lead in a tight turn, that's impossible with the cockpit on. But I don't mind, I'll just high yoyo and get him when he reverses. It's just perfect.

I didn't get paid by NaturalPoint (although I'm wearing a hat with their logo on)for this little rant, but I'll happily endorse any company/product that delivers quality, innovation and from what I've seen, does a good job supporting as well.

I like such people, good job NaturalPoint.

Sorry for wearing out the soapbox, hope you didn't fall asleep.

XyZspineZyX
12-13-2003, 09:17 PM
I got IL2 just as FB went gold. Wasn't that much into simming at the time, didn't have a proper comp, work etc, didn't mind something better was coming along.

Got FB in March or so. Tired of IL2 at that point, waiting for Lomac, and finding everyone on this forum talking about FB.

It was better allright. Loved the diverse campaigns (in "story"), the prop-wash and all the other details.
Didn't care too much about MP. Wanted to play my game in my time, pause and take a leak when I felt like it. Still do.

But it didn't really blow me away though. It was IL-2, and a little bit better. Good sim, must-have, but not heroin if you know what I mean.

Didn't really understand why some people couldn't stand not flying with the cockpit on. It's pretty and all, but I felt it more an obstacle than a feature.

And heard about this TrackIR thing all along. Tried Cam2Pan. Not good, but I got the point. TrackIR is like this except for all the problems. Cool gadget, but a little too pricey. Didn't make it a priority although I read much praise.

But when I got Lock On, I decided, OK, let's get this thing. $30 off, not bad.

So it arrived yesterday, d/l drivers, plug it in, check out the setup, fire up FB. Two hours of playing/tweaking and a neck getting sore, I was delighted but not blown away.
But one more hour of tweaking, neck getting better and some campaign missions (after getting them to work in 1.21) it was starting to work it's magic.

Tried it in FS2004. It works, ok.

Tried it in Lock On. Center-issue. Byebye, see you when the patch is out.

Back to FB. Man, I will never fly without the cockpit again. TrackIR has made me love FB like a limb. (And it is one, sorta...TrackIR that is) I don't use autopilot anymore, cause I have so much fun flying on the gauges. (Can't go without labels or map-path though)

Dogfighting is such a blast, and I've gotten so much better at it. TrackIR beats padlock, F6, wonder woman, whatever. Rolling scissors...high barrel rolls to prevent overshoot...sliky smooth...

Still find it harder to aim though. Particularly pulling a big lead in a tight turn, that's impossible with the cockpit on. But I don't mind, I'll just high yoyo and get him when he reverses. It's just perfect.

I didn't get paid by NaturalPoint (although I'm wearing a hat with their logo on)for this little rant, but I'll happily endorse any company/product that delivers quality, innovation and from what I've seen, does a good job supporting as well.

I like such people, good job NaturalPoint.

Sorry for wearing out the soapbox, hope you didn't fall asleep.