PDA

View Full Version : Animus Borders in Syndicate...

phoenix-force411
12-04-2015, 01:38 AM
I like London and the feel of it when I'm strolling around, but what is with these immersion-breaking Animus borders? Unity handled it fine by putting up walls and fences to block further progression, but in London, they just appear along streets and buildings. London does feel endless when on rooftops, but sometimes, you really have to look at the map to know when you're about to stumble upon an unexpected Animus border. I have nothing against these borders, but please, please don't "ever" place them in the cities like this ever again.

D.I.D.
12-04-2015, 03:12 AM
They made Unity feel like it was all of Paris with a little clever sleight of hand with scaling near the suburbs, so they could put a built border around it. London is clearly much bigger than the playable area, so I don't think they had much choice.

It's only the same as it used to be in the old games, but just a lot more disturbing when you hear the sound effects break up. Alarming at first because you think something bad is about to happen, but I don't mind it.

Assassin_M
12-04-2015, 04:27 AM
It artificially makes London feel smaller when it's really not. I see street, people coming and going, carriages coming and going, can I go? NO! I hate that. Walls are always better.

D.I.D.
12-04-2015, 06:59 AM
But an immense wall would be just as annoying, no? I'd find that far more jarring, personally. If the problem is the length of this border, I don't see how it's helped if it's a huge wall; you'd still have to follow it for a long way before you'd realise it was the map edge. At least the white glitch tells you immediately what it is that you've hit.

cawatrooper9
12-04-2015, 03:51 PM
I mean, did such a wall exist?

If not, then wouldn't the existence of a wall that goes all the way around the map that never existed be more jarring than an Animus cue. I mean, we already know we're supposedly playing in an Animus (sorry... Helix), so at least we're not inventing new ways to alienate ourselves, rather just using the existing ones.

Sesheenku
12-04-2015, 06:31 PM
It really is a difficult task. One can always increase the sky box and slap down low res buildings in the distance but if there's no fence in real life I imagine Ubi really doesn't want to add one.

SixKeys
12-04-2015, 06:42 PM
Speaking of walls, am I the only one who hates the "cross the border and desynchronize" thing? If we're not supposed to go beyond that point, why even make it possible to go some way inside the border? AC1's Animus walls were literally walls. You couldn't accidentally cross them and kill yourself. Why can't we have solid walls?

D.I.D.
12-04-2015, 07:47 PM
Not me, I like experiencing the weirdness inside that zone. I found it interesting to walk into those areas in the Ezio games, because it was a major way to remind the player that this was a simulation that could break down if you did things wrongly. I also used to enjoy trying to cheat the barrier in the top left of the map in Brotherhood. It doesn't matter if you can't, but I think the fact that you can try is important.

BananaBlighter
12-04-2015, 10:10 PM
It artificially makes London feel smaller when it's really not. I see street, people coming and going, carriages coming and going, can I go? NO! I hate that. Walls are always better.

It's even more frustrating in the WW1 simulation. There are police carriages going in and out, and at the Tower of London, a good chunk of it is cut off, though you can see many guards past the wall and they'll even detect and attack you despite you not being able to do anything to them until they cross the border. And the WW1 map is tiny, though when you're on the rooftops it's beautifully huge, so it's even more depressing when a white wall suddenly appears.

I wish we could pass the border for a limited time only, and then we'd desync after, just how it was in previous games.

Civona
12-05-2015, 03:10 AM
I think in general I'd like for cities to be smaller scale in order to allow for more variety and exploration. Sure, old cities were much smaller than they would be, but I like that it usually meant that you got to explore the outskirts and see them from the outside.

Open world games need to get over the concept of scale and size, and focus on the fact that the appeal of being "open world" is to make you feel like you can completely explore a large region of space. It matters more that the things contained within that space feel complete than it matters if they feel big. If Unity was 40% smaller but we got to explore those rolling hills and farmhouses in the distance, it would have felt bigger even though it wasn't.

Nemesis7675
12-05-2015, 06:25 PM
Well, different developers do it in different ways.
I remember, Prototype 2 was killing player with airplains droping bombs at him, when Heller leaves NYZ
Best way was in Oblivion and other "Scrolls" games.
The map just ends and that`s it
You as a player can run throught it`s borders, but nothing intresting there.
Terraform just ends softly - that`s it
No objects, no hills, just soft ground texture
If you open a map - you`ll see that you are off its limits
A very gentle way to end an open world I think
No strong limits with invisible walls or stuff like that

SixKeys
12-05-2015, 08:16 PM
Well, different developers do it in different ways.
I remember, Prototype 2 was killing player with airplains droping bombs at him, when Heller leaves NYZ
Best way was in Oblivion and other "Scrolls" games.
The map just ends and that`s it
You as a player can run throught it`s borders, but nothing intresting there.
Terraform just ends softly - that`s it
No objects, no hills, just soft ground texture
If you open a map - you`ll see that you are off its limits
A very gentle way to end an open world I think
No strong limits with invisible walls or stuff like that

In Journey and Dragon Age: Inquisition if you're in the desert, if you go too far, a strong gust of wind will rise up and push you back. Those kinds of natural borders are the best.

Assassin_M
12-05-2015, 08:49 PM
But an immense wall would be just as annoying, no?
I would completely disagree. Natural borders are always better than unnatural ones in that they feel like part of the world. You're not briefly teased only to be blocked from going further. You'd know what the huge wall means. You'd see it from a distance blocking your path and vision. You know the map's limits and are not teased with more only to be blocked and be forced to helplessly watch other game characters go in and out as they please.